• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Puruzi

Banned
Yo I can understand wanting megas and UBs gone even though I really like them but Z moves are the coolest shit. Don't hate.

haha
id be ok with Z moves and Megas gone

as the franchise continues its just going to get more convoluted and stupid

S/M tries to paint using Megastones as the equivalent of being Hitler though
even some nonsense lore about the mega pokemon murdering its "prey" even tho mega is a trainer+pokemon occurrence

Yo I can understand wanting megas and UBs gone even though I really like them but Z moves are the coolest shit. Don't hate.

I genuinely liked the "Mega Evolution is bad, how could you, trainer?" entries, tbh. Pokedex entries have always been filled up with untrue things anyways, so it was just a bunch of cool bits talking about how crazy Megas would be if they could exist outside of battles, too.

And while I also do like Z-Moves, I agree that this franchise is getting a little too convoluted, or at least it will a generation or two from now. But that happens to every long running series.

Keinning

whynotboth.bmp

Though i never minded Z-Moves. Never used them either (the long ass animations were annoying) but i don't think they ruin the flow of the game like megas or UBs did. In fact most of them were all bark and no bite, taking a super effective z-powered move that barely took half of your life never got old.

I need my Mega Mawile so no

Make it a normal evolution. you know, that stuff every pokemon had before gen VI
It's not like Mawile have tons of evolutions to spare

LotusHD

Banned
haha

even some nonsense lore about the mega pokemon murdering its "prey" even tho mega is a trainer+pokemon occurrence

I keep telling people those new Pokedex entries are likely their subtle way of not wanting to make anymore Mega Pokemon. At least I hope it is lmao

Frankly, Alolan Forms is what they should've done all along, hope they keep at it.

At least UBs can become something interesting. Megas are just boring though.

I genuinely liked the "Mega Evolution is bad, how could you, trainer?" entries, tbh. Pokedex entries have always been filled up with untrue things anyways, so it was just a bunch of cool bits talking about how crazy Megas would be if they could exist outside of battles, too.

And while I also do like Z-Moves, I agree that this franchise is getting a little too convoluted, or at least it will a generation or two from now. But that happens to every long running series.

its just awful world building going from:
Mega is when trainer and pokemon are super in tune with each other

to

Mega is the devil incarnate

I keep telling people those new Pokedex entries are likely their subtle way of not wanting to make anymore Mega Pokemon. At least I hope it is lmao

Frankly, Alolan Forms is what they should've done all along, hope they keep at it.

At least UBs can become something interesting. Megas are just boring though.

I highly doubt new UBs will ever show up after Ultra SM, but I really do hope we get more regional variants. It's a cool idea that actually makes sense, too. I expect we'll get a few new ones in this game, betting on like 5 new Johto ones (to coincide with GS VC).

Make it a normal evolution. you know, that stuff every pokemon had before gen VI
It's not like Mawile have tons of evolutions to spare

I would support this idea if it meant getting 4-stage evolution lines. Because I need Mega Swampert.

its just awful world building going from:
Mega is when trainer and pokemon are super in tune with each other

to

Mega is the devil incarnate

Have you considered that trainers, who collect slaves to fight the slaves of other collectors, might already be the devil incarnate? /s

LotusHD

Banned
I highly doubt new UBs will ever show up after Ultra SM, but I really do hope we get more regional variants. It's a cool idea that actually makes sense, too. I expect we'll get a few new ones in this game, betting on like 5 new Johto ones (to coincide with GS VC).

I don't really care if they don't make another Ultra Beast, or some other storyline involving them after Gen 7. I'm just saying, that if I had to decide between them and Mega Evolutions, it's gonna be Ultra Beasts easily, because they have far more potential, and don't look nearly as lazy to boot.

But yes, regional variants do make the most sense, and that's what I'm actually excited for.

Red Devil

can we just get the next game to retcon the UB stuff out of existence

The UBs are just a denonym for some rare and strong Pokémon(not really unique on their own realm, the Ultra Space) kind of like you had the legendary birds, the legendary dogs, etc.

haha

The problem is that they seemed to completely try to hide one gimmick under the rug in favor of another, what was wrong in adding say a few more megas while keeping Z moves in the spotlight? Maybe it also might have to do with regional biases within the game's lore, probably in Alola people have that perception of mega Pokémon but doesn't mean it's entirely the case.

7Th

I love Megas and Ultra Beasts; Z-Moves are pointless unless they get reworked. Maybe give them permanent priority.

LotusHD

Banned
Fuck y'all, megas are fine. UBs are fine. Z-moves are fine. Stop trying to make things less fun.

You can make the game more fun through regional variants as opposing to make Megas imo

I don't really have much of an opinion of Z-Moves, although I guess did avoid them for a reason during my playthrough...

Keinning

Fuck y'all, megas are fine. UBs are fine. Z-moves are fine. Stop trying to make things less fun.

You know what was fun? Gen 1 and 2

Yeah right im one of those gosh darn it genwunners. Sue me.

Real talk though gen 5 is still the best gen and had none of this gimmick fiesta. you don't need them to make a pokemon game fun.

I don't really have much of an opinion of Z-Moves, although I guess did avoid them for a reason during my playthrough...

Probably the 5 minute long animations

Siege.exe

You can make the game more fun through regional variants as opposing to make Megas imo

I'd gladly take both. Variety is fun, killing off a mechanic isn't

You know what was fun? Gen 1 and 2

Yeah right im one of those gosh darn it genwunners. Sue me.

Real talk though gen 5 is still the best gen and had none of this gimmick fiesta. you don't need them to make a pokemon game fun.

Of course they don't need them explicitly, doesn't mean that they don't make the game a hell of a lot more interesting and add to team variety. They don't take away anything that wasn't already there so I don't see an actual reason for people to get so hung up over them.

Red Devil

don't give up hope, fam. GS VC means Johto Pokemon will finally be relevant in time for a mainline game, if we were ever going to get these, it'd be now.

I wonder what an Alolan Typhlosion would look like, tho.

Eh, you can actually catch the GSC starters on the wild on SM using the QR scanner, they come with one egg move even. For example, on Mondays you can catch a Totodile with Metal Claw on Seaward Cave.

Everything.
We need less, not more

And knowing gamefreak and their complete lack of common sense they would probably just add a mega megasalamence anyway

On the contrary, I don't think they should ditch, but I fear it'll also happen to Z moves come next generation.

Have you considered that trainers, who collect slaves to fight the slaves of other collectors, might already be the devil incarnate? /s

all the time I consider the franchise to be kind of fucked up morally lol

but its been so cartoony (until recently with trash like origins/generations that took itself so seriously) that it hasnt mattered really

Siege.exe

Hey, you can keep the Megas we have now. Just... don't make more. ;D

Or just use regular evolutions.

Nah, we should get more. Really goofy shit too. Megas allow more of a power jump than regular evos because you can only have one, and they aren't gonna start handing out 4 stages and split evos to stuff like starters anyway so why not

Continue to add all of the following to every Pokémon game pls:

- Megas
- Z Moves
- "Alien Pokémon" a la UBs
- Regional Variants

"Pokémon is getting too convoluted" is a non-statement that conveniently dodges explaining exactly what is so bad about expanding battle and design variety. If you don't like the shit, then don't use it. Not hard.

Nightbird

Found it!

HmprZ47.png

It got the release date wrong by a week, though.

Oh, this is interesting!

- Megas
- Z Moves
- Regional Variants

"Pokémon is getting too convoluted" is a non-statement that conveniently dodges explaining exactly what is so bad about expanding battle and design variety. If you don't like the shit, then don't use it. Not hard.

it really isnt. The game used to be more kind of quaint and funny like Earthbound in a way before all the weird melodrama, ultra beasts, Z moves megas and putting pokemon death front and center.

You can add options without constantly retconning and adding stuff that feels right out of really bad fanfiction

Eh, you can actually catch the GSC starters on the wild on SM using the QR scanner, they come with one egg move even. For example, on Mondays you can catch a Totodile with Metal Claw on Seaward Cave.

On the contrary, I don't think they should ditch, but I fear it'll also happen to Z moves come next generation.

I know, I have them all, lol. I just don't consider that being relevant the way, say, Charizard is because it's in everything. GS VC at least means there's a reason to bank on Johto nostalgia, and I'm hoping it results in more than just catching the Starters in the wild.

Also, yeah, good point about Z-Moves. I kinda feel like they'll be ditched, too. Honestly, they feel less marketable than Megas, and that basically tells me they'll be left behind for whatever new mechanic they come up with.

Gen 1 honestly actually just sucks compared to now. So much weird fuckery in that gen.

Gen 7 best gen

This, 100%.

putting pokemon death front and center

so Lavender Town

I actually have never played all of Gen. 1, only the last bits of Red leading up to and including the Elite Four and all of Yellow up to Lt. Surge, so playing through FireRed was my first time seeing the ghost. I was thoroughly shook as a child. I wonder if new games have an effect on kids on the same level as that? Maybe Floette or Lusamine, idk...

so Lavender Town

I meant as violent animals, not people celebrating their Pokemon with a graveyard.
It doesn't work when your world revolves around a sport where they fight each other.

If they can insta kill each other in the wild, you're doing hospital visits every few minutes after getting them to fight.
im like this close to just giving up on the games because of that aspect these days since the last thing in the world I want to see is cute creatures being hurt.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

- Megas
- Z Moves
- Regional Variants

Nah, no more UBs, I fear they'll accidentally make one too powerful.

Fj0823

Lmao at people wanting less features.

Have you ever seen a kid's face after you tell them you can get a Kyurem and fusing it with the Zekrom they just caught?

Or when you tell them how to get a Zygarde that transforms into a Megazord?

That alone tells you how different it is for the actual target audience who's not into serebii.netting their way into a full dex.

Hopefully GF won't ever take features from a Pokemon generation again.

Siege.exe

I meant as violent animals, not people celebrating their Pokemon with a graveyard.
It doesn't work when your world revolves around a sport where they fight each other.

If they can insta kill each other in the wild, you're doing hospital visits every few minutes after getting them to fight.
im like this close to just giving up on the games because of that aspect these days since the last thing in the world I want to see is cute creatures being hurt.

I mean, it's not like they're all cute. And it's not like we haven't been breeding genetically superior super babies and releasing/giving away the bad ones for over a decade

Sandfox

it really isnt. The game used to be more kind of quaint and funny like Earthbound in a way before all the weird melodrama, ultra beasts, Z moves megas and putting pokemon death front and center.

You can add options without constantly retconning and adding stuff that feels right out of really bad fanfiction

You mean like Lavender Town in the original? Also, I don't really see the Earthbound comparison.

Top Bottom