• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

GameFreak doesnt have A or B teams.
Yeah they do. Remakes are handled by a different team from the main games
There do seem to be multiple Pokemon teams at Game Freak, but I'm not sure how rigid those team structures are. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire started development in November 2012, a year before X and Y were released. However, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire also had the same director as Sun and Moon, and I doubt Sun and Moon only began development after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were completed.

I just noticed this, but the Wingull in the trailer seems to be flying in the same direction as the player. The Wingull could be flying in a scripted sequence since it seems to turn right before the trainer does, but could there possibly be a chance of Pokemon following the player in the overworld? I'm sure it's a long shot, though, and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

tumblr_or4xkuVBDY1r8sc3ro3_540.gif

Kitzilla

I just noticed this, but the Wingull in the trailer seems to be flying in the same direction as the player. The Wingull could be flying in a scripted sequence since it seems to turn right before the trainer does, but could there possibly be a chance of Pokemon following the player in the overworld? I'm sure it's a long shot, though, and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

that wingull went ahead from the player so maybe it's just some "follow the wingull" side quest?

Red Devil

More likely not, it seems the Wingull flies way ahead of the player.

I mean, that's my point. I thought I wouldn't need to wait because there wasn't going to be a third version. The last time we got something like that was BW2, and how many years ago was that? They broke the pattern, and so I had no reason to believe they were going back to it.

And many years before that we've always had a far better copy of each region. It just happens that Pokemon Z never happened and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire came out. There have been two versions that are better than its original base game. Pokemon Emerald and then AS/OR.

Guess you just had a lot of faith for Game Freak to not return to their upgraded versions of the games they make. It's fine.

I
I mean, expecting a developer to not develop an HD game for a console with a 240p screen would be common sense, but apparently Game Freak doesn't care about that at all. So, knowing that they were doing it anyways, I believed that there was actually a reason behind using "future-proofed" assets, and not just ruining the performance of the game for no reason.

I really don't see them implementing these models into other games.It's trivial to make a lower poly version or multiple LOD levels and use the higher poly models in the future.

Um. They are high poly models. Try looking up Sun and Moon running on the Citra emulator on YT, plenty of videos showing off a 1080p SM without any of the performance issues.

I get that. Read above for my reasoning about the high poly models and how people think that they are future proofed.

Well, this post isn't a complaint at all. It was just my reasoning for being salty, really. If I came in to post something like, "wow, I'm so disappointed," people would be jumping at my ass.

Get that. Just found that part of your post to be irrelevant to what your post was mainly about. I will admit that the screen is underused. I was a big fan of the Poketch. I kind of hope it makes a return. Knowing Game Freak by now... any feature that people like usually doesn't come back.

Well, alternate story implies we'll get at least as much as the last new third version, Platinum. I still do like the Pokemon series, so I'd rather it do really well than not.
[/quote]

Yeah. Unless Game Freak wants to surprise us with something.

that wingull went ahead from the player so maybe it's just some "follow the wingull" side quest?

That's the sort of idea I was thinking of in regards to the Wingull moving in a scripted sequence. However, since it's right by the player's house we don't know if the player has any Pokemon yet in that footage. The player might have to follow the Wingull at the beginning of the game before picking their starter Pokemon. If the player doesn't have any Pokemon yet, it starts to make me wonder if a "Follow the Wingull" sequence could be a hint at Pokemon following the player in this game.

... I really shouldn't be doing this to myself.

Caelus

Probably not but people have datamined walking/running models for every Pokemon in Sun/Moon, although that may just be for the Pokefinder? Still weird that they'd exist for every single Pokemon, so I feel like a follow feature may have been intended or will be implemented at some point.

Jubenhimer

Except that "starting fresh" by throwing out your most popular system on the market and abandoning it while your new system is still in its infancy would be not only premature but completely foolish as a business decision.

The safest thing for Nintendo to do if they want the Switch to be their only system is take their time in transitioning so that stock can stabilize and the install base can grow. In the meantime the tens of millions of 3DS owners will be buying new software to fund development of future Switch endeavors.

I get that. I'm not asking Nintendo to screw over 3DS users by dumping it immediately. As you mentioned, they need to slowly transition to the Switch, not rush into it.

Puruzi

Banned
Just assume that there will be the same kinda stuff that's in a usual third version at this point, none of us have any idea what extra content is going to be in the game outside of some Pokemon that weren't in Sun and Moon being in Ultra

Crayolan

There's a chance pokemon following is included, but this is not an example of it. There are already animations for every pokemon walking around (including birds like Wingull).

Not surprised with the 3DS Only decision. Honestly probably prefer it despite wanting a Pokemon game on Switch. I'd rather their first HD Pokemon game be built from the ground up and give us that "generational leap" that X/Y did from B2W2 instead of being an upressed slightly altered Sun/Moon port.

7Th

A third version would be pretty justified in SunMoon's case; the story feels a bit truncated after
Lusamine fucks off to Ultra Space

All Pokémon have a walking and running animation already. Check YouTube. So Pokémon following you is definitely something that could happen, since the hard work is already done.

Mik317

Not surprised with the 3DS Only decision. Honestly probably prefer it despite wanting a Pokemon game on Switch. I'd rather their first HD Pokemon game be built from the ground up and give us that "generational leap" that X/Y did from B2W2 instead of being an upressed slightly altered Sun/Moon port.

This is where I was always at.

I'd want the first HD mainline pokemon game to be its own thing. Yeah it would have been neat to have a cross platform game too but eh.

Red Devil

A third version would be pretty justified in SunMoon's case; the story feels a bit truncated after

The problem is that for how much praise that Sun/Moon gets, the pacing of the story is simply awful.

Highly doubt much will change, maybe there's more emphasis on Necrozma's relationship with Lunala and Solgaleo. The funny thing is that XY had more justification for 3rd version/sequel than SuMo.

All Pokémon have a walking and running animation already. Check YouTube. So Pokémon following you is definitely something that could happen, since the hard work is already done.

I think the regular 3DS would spontaneously combust with that much content in one game, tbh.

But I actually forgot about this feature, just another thing I thought was coming to a Switch version, lol.

Guess you just had a lot of faith for Game Freak to not return to their upgraded versions of the games they make. It's fine.

Not so much faith, as much as I believed they'd just moved past the idea in the modern, DLC-driven era we live in, lol. I wouldn't be as salty if I'd waited and gotten Ultra Sun instead of Sun, like I got Yellow and Emerald way back when, but that didn't happen, hence the salt.

Slermy

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I enjoyed Pokémon Moon a lot. I'm super excited for this one and look forward to more trainer moves. :D

Nah, that is from when the prof wants you to meet him at the top of the hill on route 1. Notice the white robed guy at the top of the hill. So you dont even have a mon yet lol

I can respect that. But I actually never felt XY was a real leap in terms of visuals, tbh. ORAS felt way more impressive to me as far as presentation goes, it was the first of the 3DS Pokemon games to actually make me go "wow."

Highly doubt much will change, maybe there's more emphasis on Necrozma's relationship with Lunala and Solgaleo. The funny thing is that XY had more justification for 3rd version/sequel than SuMo.

There should be a few changes, I'd expect stuff like all new Trials and different Captains, probably a different Champion, too.

And speaking of Necrozma, has anyone come across any cool speculation or theories recently, I haven't seen anything interesting today which kinda sucks, since the real hype behind SM was all the crazy (sometimes accurate) theories and such. I miss all that.

Red Devil

To be fair in SM they never really clarified wether Necrozma is an Ultra Beast or not.

I can respect that. But I actually never felt XY was a real leap in terms of visuals, tbh. ORAS felt way more impressive to me as far as presentation goes, it was the first of the 3DS Pokemon games to actually make me go "wow."

There should be a few changes, I'd expect stuff like all new Trials and different Captains, probably a different Champion, too.

And speaking of Necrozma, has anyone come across any cool speculation or theories recently, I haven't seen anything interesting today which kinda sucks, since the real hype behind SM was all the crazy (sometimes accurate) theories and such. I miss all that.

Well assuming there're trials, maybe those empty lots will get an use now...

Don't let the hate on gaf fool you, SM was received pretty positively.

If Sun and Moon's reception on gaf counts as hate, what would X and Y's reception count as? :p

I haven't checked opinions on the game this year, but from what I remember, Sun and Moon were pretty warmly received.

Would we really get a new champion if this is supposed to be an alternate take? I think they'll still emphasize Alola as a growing league.

To be fair in SM they never really clarified wether Necrozma is an Ultra Beast or not.

There's been some implication that it's not an UB.

"Hm? What is this Pokédex data, ...? ...Necrozma. It’s black, yet it’s refracting light... But we haven’t had any word from HQ about such a UB. It must be simply a rare Pokémon. Still, it’s quite remarkable, though!"

Pokedex: "Reminiscent of the Ultra Beasts, this life-form, apparently asleep underground, is thought to have come from another world in ancient times."

Would we really get a new champion if this is supposed to be an alternate take? I think they'll still emphasize Alola as a growing league.

There's been some implication that it's not an UB.

"Hm? What is this Pokédex data, ...? ...Necrozma. It’s black, yet it’s refracting light... But we haven’t had any word from HQ about such a UB. It must be simply a rare Pokémon. Still, it’s quite remarkable, though!"

Pokedex: "Reminiscent of the Ultra Beasts, this life-form, apparently asleep underground, is thought to have come from another world in ancient times."

I'm just thinking about it like BW2, which has a different Champion.

And as for Necrozma, well, Solgaleo and Lunala are both UBs, too, just ancient ones, so maybe Necrozma is one of those?

Also, GameXplain put this vid up just now, Derrick speculates about additional Alolan islands (which makes sense since this is an alternate story):
https://youtu.be/dJ_Y13SFWB8

haha
id be ok with Z moves and Megas gone

as the franchise continues its just going to get more convoluted and stupid

S/M tries to paint using Megastones as the equivalent of being Hitler though
even some nonsense lore about the mega pokemon murdering its "prey" even tho mega is a trainer+pokemon occurrence

Top Bottom