• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament for Wii U (Spring 2016 WW) Announced at Pokemon World Championships

Sou Da

I'm extremely surprised at the amount of comments there that are angry about this because it's not a "real" Pokemon game. I swear there are more than a decent chunk of people every year that talk about how they would like a real time Pokemon fighting game.
Combination of folks that expected a Gen 6.5 or 7 announcement, and casuals angry that this isn't a real time pokemon rpg on console.

Combination of folks that expected a Gen 6.5 or 7 announcement, and casuals angry that this isn't a real time pokemon rpg on console.

It must be people who were expecting something else. Pokemon spinoff games get made all the time. That's a lot of your life to live angry if you were to get upset over each one.

DaBoss

Pretty hyped to play as Blaziken, Charizard, and Pikachu...err...Heihachu.
I enjoyed that immensely. Spring 2016 better mean early Spring. Make it in time for evo.
Spring never means early spring. ;_;
It must be people who were expecting something else. Pokemon spinoff games get made all the time. That's a lot of your life to live angry if you were to get upset over each one.
This is the first time Worlds had a focus on a spin-off game.

Personally, I think it is a good thing. Pokken could be a regular series they keep iterating and could have a place in future PWC series. It just adds another form of competitive Pokemon on top of the VGC and TCG.

Volotaire

CM9YhcxWUAApVZA.jpg:small

Yeah, I'm totally using Gengar. Him and Suicune probably.
Even though there are bipedal/fighting Pokemon that I'd like to see in, such as Blastoise, Primeape, the Hitmons, Hawlucha etc., I'd love for some more crazy Pokemon to be added. Stuff like Parasect, Dewgong, and Donphan etc. that could be completely unique, and unlike almost any other fighting game character.

Exile20

Pretty hyped to play as Blaziken, Charizard, and Pikachu...err...Heihachu.

Spring never means early spring. ;_;

This is the first time Worlds had a focus on a spin-off game.

Personally, I think it is a good thing. Pokken could be a regular series they keep iterating and could have a place in future PWC series. It just adds another form of competitive Pokemon on top of the VGC and TCG.

But they have to know that an Evo appearance would do wonders for the game. It is at the back of thier mind to make it out for Evo.

V-Faction

Let me rephrase that: If the Pokemon Company had any sense for a fighting game, they'd get it released before the biggest fighting game tournament. Get the sponsorships, get the practice, get in the line-up. Clearly, they're aware of the brand potential with regards to the players and participants.

My biggest worry was whether Pokken would turn out to be a good game or not. This Invitational has alleviated that worry, so now I'm hoping to see it catch on from a viewership/spectator standpoint. Extra characters and all of that can be added later on.

Tripon

Again, like every other clone situation, you're weren't going to get your favorite character or pokemon over the clone. The clone was made because the base model was already there and the resources and time to make it are way less than a brand new model.

Libre Pikachu didn't cockblock Hawlucha.

NotLiquid

I enjoyed that immensely. Spring 2016 better mean early Spring. Make it in time for evo.

This assumes that there'll even be a place for this game at EVO. The setup is still a question mark (the game being a 3D fighter is a bit of a hurdle with non-arcade setups) and it needs to prove it has an audience by the time EVO happens.

It might be a little side tourney though. Game looked like a lot of fun but its probably not as easy to get it to work, tournament-wise.

Busaiku

Again, like every other clone situation, you're weren't going to get your favorite character or pokemon over the clone. The clone was made because the base model was already there and the resources and time to make it are way less than a brand new model.

She's a different model and likely has completely different moves.
Hawlucha's not in cause it sucks.

Flowmoney

I hope they do a Pokemon Colosseum DLC expansion later.

Colossuem trainer portrait with Espeon and Umbreon playable.

XD trainer portrait with Lugia that has Shadow Form playable.

Nanashrew

Banned
I kept saying this was going to happen but not many wanted to believe it. Glad to finally have the confirmation announcement and happy about the earlier release date. I was predicting fall not spring.

Pikachu Libre isn't a clone and literally has a moveset that works on Hawlucha perfectly, including his signature move.

Pikachu Libre very clearly took Hawlucha's spot.

If they keep their "promise" of support even with the NX, then I expect games well into 2016. But then I also expect some aspect of the NX (handheld) to launch in 2016, and potentially the WiiU and the NX-handheld could share games if compiling either way is easy enough to do.

Can you link me your source for a "handheld" NX? Thanks!

Pikachu Libre isn't a clone and literally has a moveset that works on Hawlucha perfectly, including his signature move.

Pikachu Libre very clearly took Hawlucha's spot.

To me it looks more like Gen 5 and 6 Pokemon will only be support tier. -_- So I disagree that Hawlucha ever had a chance...

Top Bottom