• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politco: White House rattled by McCarthy's spoof of Spicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

And the devastating “Saturday Night Live” caricature of Spicer that aired over the weekend — in which a belligerent Spicer was spoofed by a gum-chomping, super soaker-wielding Melissa McCarthy in drag — did not go over well internally at a White House where looks matter.

More than being lampooned as a press secretary who makes up facts, it was Spicer’s portrayal by a woman that was most problematic in the president’s eyes, according to sources close to him. And the unflattering send-up by a female comedian was not considered helpful for Spicer’s longevity in the grueling, high-profile job, where he has struggled to strike the right balance between representing an administration that considers the media the "opposition party," and developing a functional relationship with the press.

"Trump doesn't like his people to look weak," added a top Trump donor.

The instantly viral “SNL” clip was seen by some in Trump’s orbit as devastating because it was accurate. “I thought they had Sean down pretty good,” said one Trump ally, who thought Spicer has been set up in an impossible position.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/melissa-mccarthy-sean-spicer-234715

adj_noun

More than being lampooned as a press secretary who makes up facts, it was Spicer’s portrayal by a woman that was most problematic in the president’s eyes, according to sources close to him.

Oh, come on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Excellent. Keep making his people look like fools and they'll make themselves look even more like fools.

We need to wear this administration down.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
it still boggles my mind how sensitive these people are.

Also can you imagine what would have happened if Obama said anything remotely like what they have said about CNN towards FOX News?

rokkerkory

Hahaha Spicer got spiced.

My little pony moment was the best though. SNL shoulda made that as part of the skit.

Wulfric

So I guess they're the snowflakes now. It's like Trump never heard a word of disapproval growing up.

SNL should have Rosie O'Donnell as Bannon. That'll play off well on Twitter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got no time for sympathetic comments about Spicer's position. Fuck that guy. He is a goddamn traitor to this country.

120v

spicer was allegedly on thin ice already. i'd be surprised if he's still around soon

ridiculous SNL would be a fulcrum of WH staff being fired but... new reality and all

Hasn't SNL making fun of presidents (and election candidates) been a thing since the early 1980s? Did they expect that suddenly they would be off limits?

My oldest memory of Al Gore is that damn lock box meme because of SNL.

They should make all members of the Trump's crew (i refuse to call them an administration) be portrayed by women now. That'll just force everyone to resign.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm getting a lot of good use out of my Conservative Tears mug.

It's telling that Trump isn't rattled by the fact the SNL perfectly satirized his people, it's that a woman did such a great job at it. 🙄

Good...now who has a go at Bannon on the next episode?

I have probably thought about this too much, but the slightly non sequitur portrayal of Bannon as the Grim Reaper struck me as a deliberate avoidance of an impression. I think they wanted to used him to ridicule Trump but didn't want to give him the acknowledgment of an impression.

Shadybiz

Hasn't SNL making fun of presidents (and election candidates) been a thing since the early 1980s? Did they expect that suddenly they would be off limits?

My oldest memory of Al Gore is that damn lock box meme because of SNL.

Oh yeah, this has been going on for a damn long time. I can remember back to Dana Carvey's George H.W. Bush days...not sure about before that. Not sure why Trump would think he's immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom