• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Arkam

6 TFLOPS?

Makes you wonder if the Xbox One might actually hold back games for that monster to maintain iterative compatibility?

Unless Microsoft is just going to write off the Xbox One altogether by 2018.

I hope that doesnt happen. But would not be too surprised. That is what happened to the OG Xbox. Support was overtly killed by MS very early. They dont seem to like being the underdog and are quick to pull the plug to get another bite at the apple.

Trago

For the love of Mercy, Mei, and Widowmaker, don't revamp the UI just because it's a new console. Take all of the improvements you made with the current console, and simply apply them to this one. And keep the same store too. No more hard resets please! I suffer enough of this with Nintendo and Sony.

Man, just imagine XB1 version of exclusives are going to be running at 720p/30fps med settings while XB2 will be 1080/60fps max settings or 4k/30fps max.

jelly

The size of a bone2 will be massive if it's 4 times as powerful!

It's time to return and with the internal PSU.

106202.jpg

Boke1879

It certainly helps though. Especially on the all important third party games that push the sales of these systems.

But price and momentum are far more important. It's what helped the 360 to be a success.

Well yea it's a bullet point for sure, but the terrible X1 reveal, and the Sony E3 plus price point is what helped it. Plus all the right marketing deals.

Right now we are at a point where none of it matters though. PS4 is the leader and is partnered with the most popular FPS on consoles. Going forward PS4 will most certainly always outsell the Xbox no matter what gets announced.

Another thing. People seem to be treating the PS4 and 4k like two different consoles. They are essentially the same and will be sold as such. This won't hinder PS4 numbers at all.

KingBroly

Banned
If it came out in the same release window yes. IF they are as rumored and a year a part it matters much less. MS would need to hype the crap out of it a promise the moon to get kids to wait a year for something thats as much better as the PS4 is to the X1.

Imagine the PS4 coming a year after the X1. Would the 1.3 vs 1.8tf really matter?
I hope for MS's sake there is more to this box than just more beef.

I think a lot of factors went into XB1 getting creamed by PS4

- Price
- Power
- The combination of those 2 vs. PS4
- The Big One: The 180 reaction caused by Sony

Now, if XB1 was weaker but $350, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. But it was just a perfect storm of bad decisions by comparison.

usp84

If the price is good then i am in since i never bought an Xbox One and it looks like i will never buy it anyway

nOoblet16

As a potential GTX 1070 owner Scorpio is useless to me.

I bought both PS4 and Xbone for the exclusives but if all Xbox exclusives are going to end up on PC then I see no point purchasing Scorpio. PS4K on the other hand, I'll buy that.

John Wick

And Jason Schreier just tweeted he heard about 5-6 TF target from one source as well. Sucker is gonna be powerful.

So how much is this box gonna cost with 5-6 TF power? Imagine the size and power requirements? Surely gonna cost significantly more if it's significantly more powerful than PS4K

Trojan

I'm dubious of 6 Tflops until I see something more concrete. New console late next year or year after makes sense though.

I hope that doesnt happen. But would not be too surprised. That is what happened to the OG Xbox. Support was overtly killed by MS very early. They dont seem to like being the underdog and are quick to pull the plug to get another bite at the apple.

I hope not. Would be a big turn off for me if all of the console manufacturers started doing that.

Varg

Banned
As a potential GTX 1070 owner Scorpio is useless to me.

I bought both PS4 and Xbone for the exclusives but if all Xbox exclusives are going to end up on PC then I see no point purchasing Scorpio. PS4K on the other hand, I'll buy that.

Thanks for chiming that in brother. More power to you. 👍🏼

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Today ... yes.

But not at the end of 2017.

While it's true that GPU's will continue to outpace this, it's nothing to sneeze at.

That does not put any thing into perspective .
Don't comapre NVIDIA and AMD flops .

That's not how these things work. Compute = compute. Whether that translates into comparable graphics power is up in the air, but the computation will be there nonetheless.

Jesus Christ, even my 980Ti isn't 6 teraflops.

To put this number into perspective:

A Titan X has 6.1 TFLOPS of processing power.
If the Scorpio does end up clocking 6T it will be a monster.

It's not the be-all end-all of performance metrics. Just look at the FuryX's 8.5 TFLOPs. It still performs worse than the 980TI in most scenarios.

The 390X is 5.9 TFLOPS. They could very well be using that card?

AmFreak

6 TFLOPS?

Makes you wonder if the Xbox One might actually hold back games for that monster to maintain iterative compatibility?

Unless Microsoft is just going to write off the Xbox One altogether by 2018.

One 720p/30fps Two 1080p/60fps and the monster is tamed.

Two reactions:
1) More powerful than the new PS4? What happened Sony?

2) When do these just become new consoles and not just V2?

I like how both machines started off as moderately powered discrete machines, and now it's become a space race like the old days. Bring it on.

And lord, where will the NX fall in all this.

Faustek

It can't be that expensive, right? LIke... 499 or 599, tops?

Consider such a GPU, as of today, costs $450 then add everything else into the price and not being idiots with taking a loss on the hw.

Yeah I can see it at a minimum of $700.

Audioboxer

It's just going to be a game of jumping jacks from here on in. 2018 Sony will put out a PS5 with even higher specs.

This will be tasty to look forward to but in the short term if MS aren't doing anything till 2017 Sony will get the Neo out this year and further stranglehold the PS4 Vs XB1 divide.

Top Bottom