• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Uuuuuuh, you do know that that doesn't make sense.

Have you heard about the rumors of them using Tegra based Maxwell/Pascal, which is a modern chipset from Nvidia? You don't need as much power rendering games at a lower resolution. 960 x 540p is Vitas resolution if I'm not mistaken.

RoKKeR

Yeah, not sure I'm ready for the flop wars, but I'm still interested to see how the transition to iterative consoles goes.

jbug617

Banned
the way I see it is Microsoft is going to treat this as a new console with a new marketing push to get away from the XB1. Xbox One will replace the 360 when it comes to skus. The game box will be different.

It's not going to be like PS4 and Neo where you buy 1 game for both console and have a Neo mode.

Mother of God.

They have to be very careful what they say and not say so as to not tank Xbox One S sales AND at the same time not create any confusion about Xbox Scorpio.
Maybe a $249 w/ Gears 4 and Cuphead or something similar will keep the XBO S from tanking sales wise.

Xbone sales are already tanking.

It would be more helpful at this point to open up pre-orders for Scorpio at e3, that might move the needle a bit.

Seems it bit random number that someone threw off the top of his/her head.

So, how powerful is this?
Oh I don't know. 5-6 TF!

Is there a big difference between targeting 5 TF versus targeting 6 TF. Moreover, wouldn't they go for better price to power ratio compare to PS4K rather than just pure power.

I guess how powerful it is will depend on when they trying to launch it .
The longer they take the more powerful they can get at a cheaper price .
But they also have to be careful not to give Sony to much time with NEO .

So they'll launch a likely $499 new Xbox holiday 2017, while Sony launches a $399 PS4k this year.
Sony will probably have the PS4k down to $349 by the time that thing rolls out. Seems like a bad idea to me. Even if it is more powerful. How many games will ACTUALLY take advantage of that extra power?

This whole console gen was a huge mistake.
Huge mistake.

Withnail

I just can't wrap my head around the release date of this thing.

Sony are going to launch the NEO this Fall or early 2017.

That gives the NEO anywhere from 8-12 months on the market completely unchallenged.

MS are ceding way too much market-share to the NEO before launching their own iterative console.

Seems like Sony caught them by surprise again. This 6TF "leak" is just a spoiler tactic for the pending Neo announcement IMO.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Makes sense if it's launching a year after Neo. It'll be interesting to see how things scale between the machines.

Dabanton

6 TFLOPS?

Makes you wonder if the Xbox One might actually hold back games for that monster to maintain iterative compatibility?

Unless Microsoft is just going to write off the Xbox One altogether by 2018.

I'm already imagining that games like Scalebound which are due out in late 2017 will be a launch title for whatever this machine ends up being.

A new Halo game as well.

spannicus

the way I see it is Microsoft is going to treat this as a new console with a new marketing push to get away from the XB1. Xbox One will replace the 360 when it comes to skus. The game box will be different.

It's not going to be like PS4 and Neo where you buy 1 game for both console and have a Neo mode.
Why not?

neerg

What's a realistic time period for a fully realised product to hit the shelves once specs have been finalised? I guess the more PC like the console become the quicker this will get.

Skipped the One but interested in this. I guess (hope) they are back to subsidising the price on hardware.

Averon

The NX gimmick better be fantastic because it is looking like Nintendo will be on the outside looking in again.

ironcreed

Banned
this is not a 1.5 generation anymore , this completely looks like a new generation.

What else would you call such a hardware jump? It may be backwards and forwards compatible, but it sounds like the sure fire next-gen Xbox. That's neat and all, but way too early for me.

Faustek

6 TFlops puts you in 4K, 60FPS+ territory.

You don't get the candy if you go there with that. Not saying stick wars but you know. Candy.

Have you heard about the rumors of them using Tegra based Maxwell/Pascal, which is a modern chipset from Nvidia? You don't need as much power rendering games at a lower resolution. 960 x 540p is Vitas resolution if I'm not mistaken.

Yes but that still doesn't hold up to "Xbox graphics at 540p".

What I'm assuming is that you want it to be able to use modern graphic solutions because you aren't getting Xbox graphics at 540p.
You want a more powerful Vita.

Zukkoyaki

Well I initially figured this would be more of a 1.5 thing for the Xbox One but this seems to be closer to a new generation but not quite there. Hopefully XBO owners aren't left too behind too quickly. Neo seems to allow for more coexistence assuming what we're hearing is true.

I'm REALLY interested in how software is going to scale with this thing.

Also... If it's cheap, like $200-$250, I would buy an XBO slim to catch up on a few games.

It's not the be-all end-all of performance metrics. Just look at the FuryX's 8.5 TFLOPs. It still performs worse than the 980TI in most scenarios.

The 390X is 5.9 TFLOPS. They could very well be using that card?

One of the Polaris cards is rumored to have the same performance as the 390X. Should be the 480X or 480 not sure. As for the hypothetical chip they will be using on console, should be a semi custom version (apu?) and not a discrete card I guess.

The God

Yeah, I don't give a shit how powerful it is. I am not buying a new Xbox or PS4 next year. I have not even had Xbox One and PS4 for two years yet.

It'll be entertaining to see Microsoft and Sony try to one-up each other every 2-3yrs, but it's honestly not at all what I wanted from either company.

Oh well.

Will it even matter though, when Microsoft keep releasing Xbox exclusive games on PC now. Unless they start locking down all exclusives, I will just carry on getting them on PC where possible, at a lower cost and still have better performance. The few big games that don't get a PC port aren't enough for me to buy a new console.

I have less of a problem with PS4 Neo, as games like Uncharted 4 don't come to PC and especially if it includes a UHD blu-ray player. If they don't include a UHD drive, then even that will have to be a pretty noticeable upgrade for me to buy one.

6 Tflops paired with a Jaguar CPU?

I'm starting to believe that this is all a joke. Microsoft already have WIndows 10 they don't need this shit.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed this article doesn't say that this X1-2 will not have exclusive games. It just says that it will run all X1 games. I'll be curious to see what policies Microsoft announces. If there are exclusives, this sounds like a new generation.

I could see this machine being a 4k X1, though, and not getting anything too special. The "more than 4x" power seems perfect for getting those 1080p/900p X1 games running at 4k.

But why announce this system 1.5 years early? This article makes it seem like they feel threatened by PS4k. If it's iterative like PS4k but releasing next year, they could hurt their sales until it releases. If it's a new console generation, though, then why feel threatened by PS4k and not PS5? I feel like this announcement is only going to make them lose this holiday even more. But maybe it'll help them win 2017? Only announcing a cheap slim sounds like the best strategy to me.

AmyS

6 TFlops puts you in 4K, 60FPS+ territory.

Only if you have the GPU ROPs, memory bandwidth and CPU to back it up. However I think Microsoft will be smarter this time with Scorpio, and better designed than PS4K / NEO, given that the specs so far for Neo are not very balanced (powerful GPU, weak CPU, modest increase in bandwidth).

Ray Down

Banned
I just can't wrap my head around the release date of this thing.

Sony are going to launch the NEO this Fall or early 2017.

That gives the NEO anywhere from 8-12 months on the market completely unchallenged.

MS are ceding way too much market-share to the NEO before launching their own iterative console.

Maybe sony caught them first and this is the quickest they can responded?

I'm honestly surprised there this big of a gap if true.

orochi91

If true, Sony fucked up then, right?

If anything, Sony caught them by surprise.

NEO will be on the market for nearly a year before Scorpio even launches, which immediately puts MS at a huge disadvantage with regards to market-share.

Seems like Sony caught them by surprise again. This 6TF "leak" is just a spoiler tactic for the pending Neo announcement IMO.

Maybe sony caught them first and this is the quickest they can responded?

I'm honestly surprised there this big of a gap if true.

Agreed.

Top Bottom