• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Pelagic

Banned
This Scorpio thing better have a decent CPU too.

The craptastic Jaguar cpu is the main bottleneck for the current consoles and Neo.

ironcreed

Banned
that big of a jump would definitely DESTROY current xbox one owners, all of the ports would be ass

Sounds pretty fucked up for sure. And it is definitely in line with Phil stating that if they made a jump, it would not be a half-step upgrade, but all the way. Xbox One would be left in the dust by this thing, even while getting the same games.

bidguy

Banned
It's just going to be a game of jumping jacks from here on in. 2018 Sony will put out a PS5 with even higher specs.

This will be tasty to look forward to but in the short term if MS aren't doing anything till 2017 Sony will get the Neo out this year and further stranglehold the PS4 Vs XB1 divide.

so neo in 17 and ps5 in 18 ? are you kidding ?

Arkam

I think a lot of factors went into XB1 getting creamed by PS4

- Price
- Power
- The combination of those 2 vs. PS4
- The Big One: The 180 reaction caused by Sony

Now, if XB1 was weaker but $350, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. But it was just a perfect storm of bad decisions by comparison.

Totally. Price is ALWAYS king. If MS can do it at the same or lower price than PS4K then it is much more competitive. And that could be exactly why it is coming later. You cannot get more for less. Cost, Quality and time.... to gain in one you must sacrifice another.

orochi91

I just can't wrap my head around the release date of this thing.

Sony are going to launch the NEO this Fall or early 2017.

That gives the NEO anywhere from 8-12 months on the market completely unchallenged.

MS are ceding way too much market-share to the NEO before launching their own iterative console.

mckmas8808

Banned
So Microsoft is going to announce an upgraded Xbox One at E3 that won't be available until late next year? How does that sound like a good idea to anyone at MS?

It's almost the worst idea I've EVER heard when it comes to a console creator. Only the name "Wii U" has been worst.

yuraya

Yea they are probably just baiting Sony with this news. Make them panic so they scrap their plans for the Neo and upgrade the 4tflops to 8tflops thinking they upped one over MS again.. But then the twist is that the Scorpio is actually 10tflops. MS edges them out and Phil Spencer gets the last laugh.

IvorB

All these "leaks" for this new round of hardware are mighty suspicious. It wouldn't surprise me at all if one or both parties are trying to fake each other out.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Mother of God.

What an entertaining day I swear. It will be incredible to see how they tiptoe around these specs/dates at E3. They have to be very careful what they say and not say so as to not tank Xbox One S sales AND at the same time not create any confusion about Xbox Scorpio.
Maybe a $249 w/ Gears 4 and Cuphead or something similar will keep the XBO S from tanking sales wise.

Probably will be $499. They'll market it as half sort of Windows 10 box (like the Steambox machines), half console.

But if all the games are on PC, WHAT'S THE POINT OF IT!?!?

Either they provide a supplementary device to upgrade the NX like the recent patents show or NX is absolutely a platform that involves iterative upgrades.

I think Nintendo is setting up NX to be an iterative platform as well. I just hope that their NX portable (downclocked Maxwell/Pascal based Nvidia Tegra)is powerful enough to run XB1 graphics at 960x 540p (Vita resolution).

Faustek

Where the hell does this leave Nintendo?

With Sega

giphy.gif

MCD

That gives the NEO anywhere from 8-12 months on the market completely unchallenged.

MS are ceding way too much market-share to the NEO before launching their own iterative console.

Maybe they want to see how Sony will fare first? This whole mid gen refresh is new business that might backfire badly. Might as well let the market leader take the first punches.

Boke1879

It's just going to be a game of jumping jacks from here on in. 2018 Sony will put out a PS5 with even higher specs.

This will be tasty to look forward to but in the short term if MS aren't doing anything till 2017 Sony will get the Neo out this year and further stranglehold the PS4 Vs XB1 divide.

And that stranglehold would have happened regardless with no updated consoles.

With NEO seemingly launching this year you get people like me jumping at it early. I think MS allowing the NEO to be on the market for a full year does them no favors. You allow that narrative to build and Sony gets people to buy into their ecosystem.

I would assume Scorpio launches around the same time a new Halo does correct? That'll help sales but the PS4 at that point would likely have a 2-1 lead WW.

jayu26

And Jason Schreier just tweeted he heard about 5-6 TF target from one source as well. Sucker is gonna be powerful.

Seems it bit random number that someone threw off the top of his/her head.

So, how powerful is this?
Oh I don't know. 5-6 TF!

Is there a big difference between targeting 5 TF versus targeting 6 TF. Moreover, wouldn't they go for better price to power ratio compare to PS4K rather than just pure power.

Lothars

Yup, It's not going to help sales that much if they are leaving the market unchallenged for a year especially if they announce it this summer and wait another year.

Where the hell does this leave Nintendo?
Well, they could use the time they've gained in reducing their presence at E³ to keep an eye on how this whole mess of PS4K/Xbox2/Xbox Stream/Xbox TV/whatever plays out and decide wether to potentially update the specs of the console variant to reach a certain range of power similar or slightly below PS4K or to speed up the plans for those rumored SCDs big time.

I'm only half-kidding ... they really should keep an eye on this.

E: If they really plan on having an iterative system through the SCDs as well ... for the LOVE OF GOD please price the darned thing accordingly.

vpance

Well what can they do if they're already behind? Making it more powerful and announcing it at E3 is their best shot at this point.

I hope it is more powerful, I need the salt!!111

Being serious, it will be interesting to see how developers handle the situation. If true it would be a major powergap between the big threes consoles

Faustek

I think Nintendo is setting up NX to be an iterative platform as well. I just hope that their NX portable is powerful enough to run XB1 graphics at 540p.

Uuuuuuh, you do know that that doesn't make sense.

--------

Off topic but what the hell happened to Geiss? He looks unwell.

crpav

Probably in an even worse position than they are right now with the Wii U.

Nintendo should just combine with Microsoft. Continue with their handheld, which works solo as well as with the XBox as a controller and add on, and games for both.

How could it not be good for both?

Top Bottom