• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Pachimari

Just bought a Logitech G29 + the gear shifter. Will I be able to use a Thrustmaster gear shifter instead with the wheel, if I'm gonna play Project CARS 2 on PC?

fresquito

Just bought a Logitech G29 + the gear shifter. Will I be able to use a Thrustmaster gear shifter instead with the wheel, if I'm gonna play Project CARS 2 on PC?
You probably need some adapter to make it work, unless the shifter is connected directly to your PC, which I doubt (usually it plugs into the wheel base). You will need to configure the keys too.

I play with a T300RS and G27 pedals and shifter.

Pachimari

I just bought the G29 cause it was on sale for $200. And I quite liked the Driving Force Pro wheel. I think I'll just stick to get G29 shifter too and see how that works out for me before deciding on a thrustmaster and adapter. Thanks for the answer. :)

TJP

Oh god, I read the comments...

"Driveclub looks better"
"lol. Driveclub has much better graphics"
"(Driveclub) handling model is arcade/sim"

I can't...
Watch the video and ignore the comments of 12 year olds...

Mascot

Some good news from the GTP Q&A thread re timed races:

Q:
I may have already asked this on the pCARS official forum site, but are we going to have more granular time options - x1 to x60 time simulation in increments of one (much like Gran Turismo) and support for non-standard timed race durations (e.g. 1h40m, 2h40m as in IMSA, or, say, 1h30m, 5h00m or - as in Petit Le Mans, 10h00m) - on pCARS 2? I'd like to have much more flexibility in simulation rate and timed race length than pCARS 1.

And will there be new BMW M6 and (current version) Audi R8 LMS GT3 cars as well in pCARS 2? Or will that be discussed at a later date?

A:
Timed Race duration is a clock now HH:MM in increments of 5 minutes up to 24:00

(Can still do laps up to 999 laps also)

Time acceleration choices: "x2, x5, x10, x15, x20, x25, x30, x40, x50, x60"

GT3 class we are already in double-digit for vehicle count including all the major brands. You'll be fine ;)

danowat

Banned
Are these old shots? not seen these nissan shots before, but I might have missed them!.

C5RcBZgW8AYoKo6.jpg

project-cars-2-nissan-300zx-turbo-jpg.178671

project-cars-2-nissan-300zx-imsa-gts-jpg.177917

C5cgryyXMAgmaK4.jpg

16908779_712992902236091_8981620701563715584_n.jpg

Mascot

User-created offline championships are unlikely to make release, may come in a later patch.

From the GTP Q&A:

No offline championships at this time guys. I brought up the idea to "fill w/AI" the online championships but it is something we/SMS only briefly discussed. Mandatory pitstop is available offline.

I'm same as you, mainly offline player. So I feel your pain. Will keep you guys updated if this gets attention. Most of the components are there in the shop, but we're bit short on time to put the parts together to deliver this unfortunately.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/q-a-with-ianbell-read-op-updated-2-15.353715/page-27#post-11740202

Disappointing to hear this. Here's hoping for a patch sometime soon after release.

Edit from Ian Bell:

We want to show off that our chosen championships are better :) Now, seeing as you asked in a jolly way I'll prioritise it.

Wooooo-HOOOOOO!

Great news. :)

Mascot

I've no idea why they release overexposed washed-out watercolour promo shots like that one. They make the game look awful, especially with all the uber-realistic GTS shots doing the rounds.

pCARS NEVER looks like that image on my TV. A bit of contrast and a bit of saturation would work wonders.

fresquito

I've no idea why they release overexposed washed-out watercolour promo shots like that one. They make the game look awful, especially with all the uber-realistic GTS shots doing the rounds.

pCARS NEVER looks like that image on my TV. A bit of contrast and a bit of saturation would work wonders.
In fact, one of the latest, more significant, updates on the graphical side has made strides in that direction by lowering the "blue mist" in the distance and by making the image look more vibrant. Why would you present an oudated screenshot is beyond my understanding.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Yeah, this looks more like a forza promo shot than pcars

Mascot

Where did that image come from TJP? I can't find any buzz about the Long Beach reveal (probably because everyone has known about it for months already).

TJP

Where did that image come from TJP? I can't find any buzz about the Long Beach reveal (probably because everyone has known about it for months already).
I got the imagee from bsimracing from generate some posts in this thread! There's​ been a lot of reveals but no one appeared bothered to comment or post.

Seems people are upset with the screenshot...Story is here: http://www.bsimracing.com/project-cars-2-introducing-the-long-beach-street-circuit/#disqus_thread

fresquito

I'll be honest, on the face of it, it just looks like PC1 DLC.
It's hard to look better with this encoding quality.

I'm not a fan of the content itself, either. It's very dry. In fact, only thing that looks interesting to me is dry vs. wet tarmac driving.

Mascot

For me it's the quality of the video. It's grainy and looks bad.

...and judders like fuck. The frame pacing is borked.

Hopefully it'll be remastered, encoded properly and uploaded again, because at the moment it's not really promoting anything in a positive way.

fresquito

Damn... I have half the mind to just upload my own 4K video of this game. But dat NDA though.
I know how you feel. We are not allowed to upload videos because some marketing strategy, then you watch this and think: Doesn't make any sense, I could upload content so much better than this, both technically and content wise.

Mascot

I know how you feel. We are not allowed to upload videos because some marketing strategy, then you watch this and think: Doesn't make any sense, I could upload content so much better than this, both technically and content wise.

And SMS must know that pCARS 2 will be scrutinised far more closely than the first game ever was because of this perception that consumers were somehow 'burned' by pCARS and need to be 'won back'.

I see the 'but.. but.. WORK IN PROGRESS' excuse is already being rolled out for this video. I'm sorry, but I know damn well that far more polished and finished and better-quality efforts than this one already exist, so there really is no excuse for content of this quality. SMS are doing themselves a disservice here, just like with that washed-out Long Beach promo shot that TJP posted above.

SMS? SMH. Come on, chaps.

fresquito

And SMS must know that pCARS 2 will be scrutinised far more closely than the first game ever was because of this perception that consumers were somehow 'burned' by pCARS and need to be 'won back'.

I see the 'but.. but.. WORK IN PROGRESS' excuse is already being rolled out for this video. I'm sorry, but I know damn well that far more polished and finished and better-quality efforts than this one already exist, so there really is no excuse for content of this quality. SMS are doing themselves a disservice here, just like with that washed-out Long Beach promo shot that TJP posted above.

SMS? SMH. Come on, chaps.
Yeah, it is hard to understand. I'm not going to cut them any slack. This is a fuck up and there's no other way to look at it.

...and judders like fuck. The frame pacing is borked.

Hopefully it'll be remastered, encoded properly and uploaded again, because at the moment it's not really promoting anything in a positive way.

It's doing a good job of making me thankful for how GT:S is looking right now.

Hoping that this game comes good though and runs fluid on the Pro.

fresquito

Latest info I have is it is going to get pulled off official channels, as it was uploaded by mistake.

I couldn't agree more with the decision. I hope they offer something worthwhile to cut some damage.

Only you can answer that.

It runs fine. This video is not indicative of how good the game looks. It's just a bad video and bad marketing.

Good to hear, I'm looking forward to it and hope that they have learnt from their mistakes with the first, from what I'm hearing so far they have, but still a little pessimistic.

TJP

SMS do have an established track record of releasing games that require quite a number of patches to work as intended so in they eyes of those people, SMS do need to win people back.

That said, if people aren't excited for the live track feature, new cars and tracks, new online modes with improved dedicated server options, fully realised pitstops and hopefully fleshed out career mode, they don't need to be worried about pCARS or another other sim racing title.

Bsimracing have a load more screens of the Lancer Evo for people to look over and Race Department have a few recent titbits for those who are interested and have a decent amount of other articles up. The PRC blog are on board the pCARS 2 hype train too ;)

Mascot

That janky video has now been pulled. Maybe it was uploaded by mistake?

Hopefully something new and improved (and a bit more interesting) will soon be uploaded to replace it.

Mascot

Damn, I can play PC2 right now, but I certainly can not play it like that!

Are you talking about [VR + motion rig], or the actual build of the game used and car/track combo?

There's still pretty big lag between the real and virtual steering wheel.
(This is where someone jumps in and says it's a product of the video capture).

fresquito

Are you talking about [VR + motion rig], or the actual build of the game used and car/track combo?

There's still pretty big lag between the real and virtual steering wheel.
(This is where someone jumps in and says it's a product of the video capture).
VR+motion rig, of course.

I don't know about wheel being out of sync. I play with a very low fov and tend to disable wheel/arms.

Mascot

VR+motion rig, of course.

I don't know about wheel being out of sync. I play with a very low fov and tend to disable wheel/arms.

Yeah, me too. Anyone with a wheel and not playing in VR should do the same. GTS will be a problem in this regard.

TJP

Man, I hope they can get atleast 1080p60 on the Scorpio. I CANNOT WAIT!
With all the excitment over Scorpio running FM6 at 'ultra' PC settings (whatever ultra actually means) at a true 4K and 60fps with some extra performance to spare, SMS would have to seriously balls up pcars 2 not to get similar or equal performance.

At 1080P, MS prmoised supersampling would be applied to the image.

With all the excitment over Scorpio running FM6 at 'ultra' PC settings (whatever ultra actually means) at a true 4K and 60fps with some extra performance to spare, SMS would have to seriously balls up pcars 2 not to get similar or equal performance.

At 1080P, MS prmoised supersampling would be applied to the image.
Obviously first party would have been in the loop, but have third party devs known about the Scorpio specs for very long? A lot of the Pro launch titles struggled to get Pro mode stuff working properly, despite it being a fairly dev-friendly architecture (as I understand it). With PCARS2 SMS are effectively having to support 5 architectures, and one of them on very short notice. At the moment they're struggling to get YouTube videos right; let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Top Bottom