• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Skyzard

Banned
How do you race against your own ghost? Why doesn't it appear automatically in time trial while you're going round? Either me or the game is missing something obvious

I saw the option to add ghosts in time trial, seemed like you can even add your own and download another. It was outside of the race though, in the main menu.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow. Just, wow. This guy must be a real race car driver, right?

I don't know... Digi is a GAFer so maybe he'll pop-in here!

But speaking of professional drive, Rene Rast did multiple pCARS videos and this one always amazes me. Like... God Damn it's pretty much a perfect lap. So smooth and flowing.

Amazing. Does Project Cars even support manual with clutch? Or is that something you just need pedals (and a shifter) for?

Pretty sure it's supported with a controller but I never tried it myself.

Dilly

Banned
Started in Karts, Why does the handling feel like complete shit?? I race karts on a monthly basis. Take it the handling on these were an after thought?

Honestly, I think it's because of their approach of using the same physics engine on karts as on cars.

Karts are a special thing, better to simulate them differently in my opinion, which is something they considered but didn't go through with due time constraints.

Is there something wrong with the traction control in this game? Even with everything off, the cars do not seem to produce enough wheel spin. Feels like there is always a bit of traction control enabled, even for old monsters like the BMW Group A.

That said, I am liking the game a lot more now after using these G27 settings:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE

Got autoclutch turned off?

How do you race against your own ghost? Why doesn't it appear automatically in time trial while you're going round? Either me or the game is missing something obvious

In the time trial start screen, you select track, type of car, GHOST and the car you want to drive.
Go to Ghost and use the D-Pad, there you can select "best of session"(you start without a ghost and get one after one lap), "personal best" (sets you against your own best time in that class and updates the ghost once you achieved a better time) and "leaderboard"(also go to the leaderboard with LB and press Y(Triangle) to select a specific ghost you want to race against).

To buy this or GTA V... It's been a while since I've played a racing game and I've played GTA V before, but those mods are making it hard not to buy it.

Now this game just comes out of nowhere and looks incredible.

Is the focus on simulation or is there an arcade aspect to the game as well?

To buy this or GTA V... It's been a while since I've played a racing game and I've played GTA V before, but those mods are making it hard not to buy it.

Now this game just comes out of nowhere and looks incredible.

Is the focus on simulation or is there an arcade aspect to the game as well?

Hard to judge for me, but the approach is definitely Sim

mil6es

is there going to be a GAF racing league at some point because racing against randoms is a first corner clusterfuck as per usual, whats the point of having quail if your shunted to the back of the grid on first corner!!!!!

on a separate note, the turbo lag on the Lotus turbo F1 car is balls to the walls crazy!!

Lettuce

Damn what a difference it makes changing the pad settings, with the settings i have now the car feel 100% better, alot more precise, stable and just overall more controllable the cars are actually doing what i ask of them now....just a shame SMS couldn't have set a more pleasing default setting for pad users than the shit show they currently have for the default settings.

I change a couple of settings from default Controller input mode 3 setting....

Steering Deadzone 10
Steering Sensitivity 20
Brake Sensitivity 20
Speed Sensitivity 40
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 60
Advanced On
Soft Steering Dampening Off
Visual Wheel Filtering On
Opposite Lock Help On

Any one have an details on what Soft Steering Dampening actually does??, by the sounds of it it reduces the sensitivity of small steering adjustments when compare to large steering movements???

The only slight issue i still have is if you ever trying to correct yourself it just seems to have massive over steer in the direction your correcting all of a sudden, even at steady speeds....i could understand this type of behaviour if you were going flat out

Also loving the Rear Passenger Seat camera view with a setting of 110 so you can see both side mirrors clearly!

ZalXII

How are we supposed to do 24h races? I tried it once in carrer mode and there seems to be no saving or time lapse feature, just switching to AI during pit, tried it after one lap though. Do i have to race a few laps or minutes/hours beforehand to activate such a feature?

I found a (unreliable) workaround by turning on sleep mode on PC while the game runs, works good until i want to use my controller (DS4) in the game. For some reason i can use it in the pause menu, but not in gameplay. Had to switch out of the game to close and restart DS4Windows, tried ingame and DS4 works during gameplay again.

Tried this whole thing again and closed/restarted DS4Windows right after sleep mode. Now the game doesn't recognise my controller at all. Not even when i restart the game and DS4Windows, had to shut off my PC completely.

Long story short, sleep mode is not so reliable for me.

npa189

Damn what a difference it makes changing the pad settings, with the settings i have now the car feel 100% better, alot more precise, stable and just overall more controllable the cars are actually doing what i ask of them now....just a shame SMS couldn't have set a more pleasing default setting for pad users than the shit show they currently have for the default settings.

I change a couple of settings from default Controller input mode 3 setting....

Steering Deadzone 10
Steering Sensitivity 20
Brake Sensitivity 20
Speed Sensitivity 40
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 60
Advanced On
Soft Steering Dampening Off
Visual Wheel Filtering On
Opposite Lock Help On

Any one have an details on what Soft Steering Dampening actually does??, by the sounds of it it reduces the sensitivity of small steering adjustments when compare to large steering movements???

The only slight issue i still have is if you ever trying to correct yourself it just seems to have massive over steer in the direction your correcting all of a sudden, even at steady speeds....i could understand this type of behaviour if you were going flat out

Also loving the Rear Passenger Seat camera view with a setting of 110 so you can see both side mirrors clearly!

Thanks, this helped me quite a bit. Steering never felt right to me in Shift 2 either, SMS just can't get gamepad steering down for the life of them. I'm so used to Forza and it's gamepad sweet spot.

Honestly, I think it's because of their approach of using the same physics engine on karts as on cars.

Karts are a special thing, better to simulate them differently in my opinion, which is something they considered but didn't go through with due time constraints.

Oh, that might be it, will check.

Overall I can't believe how tame some of the cars behave. :/

npa189

Is there a way to change the difficulty setting they make you choose when you fire it up for the first time? I was a bit bullish in choosing pro, and I wish to go to amateur. I feel like this game is spitting in my face and telling me to go play Mario Kart.

Skyzard

Banned
My first take on Project CARS @ 5K: https://youtu.be/8wYUxMhBuZc

Would love to see it irl! Bet it looks awesome at higher res. I loved what 4k did for farcry4, even though it wasn't playable but the little details in the distance...one day.

Is there any way to pick just the cams you want and disable the rest? Haven't found it in Options. Maybe via ini/cfg file?

Don't know, sorry, but this would be nice for fast switching.

I really am quite miffed that they didn't include some descriptions for the settings like speed sensitivity field of view.
I've been playing around with having it zoom out a bit when you go faster but just when I think I've understood what the sliders do it all fucks up and lowers my base fov or something. Turned it off for now. I think it only works with cockpit, not helmet cam (for trackir), or something is bust on my end, which it could be as atm for me, cockpit cam at 80 fov is wider than helmet at 85. --_______--

Same with the control settings. We're just supposed to sit there in the menus and keep trying out different settings to guess wtf they are supposed to do exactly?

Fuck you for not adding descriptions and wasting my time.

Lettuce

Thanks, this helped me quite a bit. Steering never felt right to me in Shift 2 either, SMS just can't get gamepad steering down for the life of them. I'm so used to Forza and it's gamepad sweet spot.

No problem, just alter the settings slight for your own personal preference

nasanu

Banned
Seriously,

I'm so tired of the whole "Negativity to get hits" mentality.

Thats great. But you clearly never listened to the video or if you did your comprehension isn't up to par. He was not angry at all, he made calm and reasoned logical arguments. The kind of tone and reasoning that is absent in all the criticism of the video I have seen.

TEH-CJ

Banned

How do you turn autoclutch off with a controller?

nasanu

Banned
Is there something wrong with the traction control in this game? Even with everything off, the cars do not seem to produce enough wheel spin. Feels like there is always a bit of traction control enabled, even for old monsters like the BMW Group A.

That said, I am liking the game a lot more now after using these G27 settings:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE
Find the option called slip ratio or something like that in car settings. It's spin control, on for all cars and you can't turn it off completely.

LilJoka

Find the option called slip ratio or something like that in car settings. It's spin control, on for all cars and you can't turn it off completely.

Wait what?!

Edit
Its called Traction Controlled Slip in the Car setup menu. Lowest option is 1%. What does this mean if TC is already disabled? As i also found it odd how out of shape you would have to get the cars before the wheelspin started....

Cheers, I'll probably do that from now.

But half the field suddenly finding three seconds in the last two minutes of a session when the weather hasnt changed does make me think this is a bug.

(I was monitoring their sector times before I skipped, and there was little difference to the times they were setting before).
I is a bug come to think of it... but that's something that happens in games like rFactor or GTR2, if by mid-session you're on pole and skip most likely the AI will make some pretty outrageous times, but if you speed it up then they sort of stick to the time they've set.

nib95

Banned
I had another set up that I thought was perfect, but I tried these out of curiosity and they're even better. I even did all the camera options although I left Helmet on and Helmet Depth of View set to On as well to add to the immersion.

Yea, that one's just a matter of taste. I switch helmet back on every now and again, but I'm not too keen on the depth of field effects. For some reason they don't feel very intuitive to me, whereas the g-force camera pull seems more realistic.

On a side note, I'm loving this game so far.

I'm so disappointed to read that the game needs extensive controller tweaks to play with a controller. I don't know if I'm down for that — I still have bad memories of NFS Shift.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Thinking about picking this up but a bit worried about the controls/handling, it's been a long but I just booted up GTR Evolution and mapped it to my 360 controller and tbh it felt pretty good, ended up playing for a few hours, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how closely does Project Cars resemble the feel of the old GTR games (if at all)?

npa189

So what does GAF recommend for a wheel? I'm on PC, I sit on a couch and I'm very cheap. Highest I'm willing to go is $150, but I'd like to keep it at $100 and be compatible with X1 games too. I can't find much on their list that fits.

I'm so disappointed to read that the game needs extensive controller tweaks to play with a controller. I don't know if I'm down for that — I still have bad memories of NFS Shift.

Ive been messing around for maybe 8 hours. It sucks exiting races to tweak over and over.
It is 100% shift with a revenge.

It's just so damn beautiful though, and the formula cars are easier to control than the standard cars

cackhyena

So what does GAF recommend for a wheel? I'm on PC, I sit on a couch and I'm very cheap. Highest I'm willing to go is $150, but I'd like to keep it at $100 and be compatible with X1 games too. I can't find much on their list that fits.

Isn't the Thrustmaster TX the only option for PC and X1? It's what I'm going for soon.

nasanu

Banned
Wait what?!

Edit
Its called Traction Controlled Slip in the Car setup menu. Lowest option is 1%. What does this mean if TC is already disabled? As i also found it odd how out of shape you would have to get the cars before the wheelspin started....
1% is the highest setting I think. It's the amount of slip it will allow before kicking in. Ideally you would have it at 100% but the max is 15. I found on the magane that the car wouldn't turn till I set it to 15% then the car finally produced some over steer

nib95

Banned
So how the hell do I win this Ford Focus heavy rain race? Seriously, I feel like I'm a sloppy noodle. Can't gain any ground on the opponents, and as soon as I turn or brake, I'm sliding to the outer edges as if I'm ice skating. Any tips?

nib95

Banned
Are rain tyres called "Masculin Track" compound tyres? Because I don't have any option for rain tyres, and I'm thinking that could be it?

Tried to do the same in free practice and couldn't. I would also like to know if that's a bug.

Why the fuuuuuck can't I choose SOFT tires before starting a race? Every tire I can start with in my RUF race (career mode) is utter shit. If I take a pit stop and change to soft, everything is A-OK.

Am I missing something, or have SMS fucked up bad here?

Anyone know anything about this?

kyser73

PS4 gamers - I really love racers of all stripes, is this worth getting? I see a lot of nit-picking about stuff that generally doesn't bother me - AF, frame drops - but the on thing that does is the screen tearing.

How noticeable is it? I don't really mind a slice of sky at the top of the screen, but bits of car floating around the track is going to annoy me greatly.

I really want this as complement to DC and a stop-gap for GT7, so impression from PS4 owners only please.

Momentary

Banned
Can't wait to see how this game fleshes out within the next year. I think the Tokyo Motor Show is this year. Maybe they will have special car packages for motor show conventionals. I wonder what the first car package is going to be and how long they are going to keep up this free car a month deal.

This game looks so crazy on PC for the most part

17326964789_5b59cbae53_o.png

nib95

Banned
PS4 gamers - I really love racers of all stripes, is this worth getting? I see a lot of nit-picking about stuff that generally doesn't bother me - AF, frame drops - but the on thing that does is the screen tearing.

How noticeable is it? I don't really mind a slice of sky at the top of the screen, but bits of car floating around the track is going to annoy me greatly.

I really want this as complement to DC and a stop-gap for GT7, so impression from PS4 owners only please.

So far, I think it's absolutely worth it. Yes it's a touch unpolished here and there, and needs a bit of tinkering, but it's also highly feature, settings and content rich, with tonnes of play for your money. The game is very well paced, fun, detailed, and has a highly rewarding driving model and physics engine. It also looks very pretty, and the vehicles sound fantastic. I haven't sunk enough time in to it to form any final judgements yet, but all I'll say is that the whole thing feels a little more serious than console sims like Forza or GT, but the price you pay for that is slightly less accessibility That's not necessarily a completely bad thing mind, especially if you want the game to serve as a compliment to Driveclub.

Regarding screen tearing, after about 4 hours of play, I've probably only noticed it maybe twice, so basically it's a non issue.

Top Bottom