• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

RyudBoy

So, going forward all games should have an unlocked frame rate mode that'll take advantage of this.

No more 30fps cap.

As a PC gamer, I never got locked framerates. Hopefully this pushed more developers to have graphics settings on the games in the future with variable framerate support. On consoles.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
seems like a nice bit of future-proofing. I don't have a screen that can do this but I would think it's a must have feature now if I was to get a new TV or monitor.

amdb00mer

Will backwards compat 360 games benefit from this?

Digital Foundry stated yes in the video, but again until there is a TV that supports FreeSync and/or FreeSync 2, you will have to hook the Scorpio up to a PC monitor that supports it. Those monitors right now only do 1080p. A 4K PC monitor with FreeSync would be very expensive.

That's the biggest upgrade to console tech EVER.

Variable refresh > everything.

don't most console games have v sync on though, making this irreverent?

Irrelevant.

And no, you don't understand how the tech works.

This basically lets the scorpio GPU dictates the refresh rate of the monitor. It's huge.

jfoul

This is a huge feature for console gaming, and it makes sense to include it. After all, TVs that include the HDMI 2.1 spec will be released roughly three months after the console, with AV receivers shortly after.

Come on, I obviously meant in terms of hardware and tech. Which does kick the shit out of any other console.

Huh, it's hardware and tech really don't "kick the shit" out of all other consoles. It's still very much like the Pro overall in terms of tech and power.

Gwyn

Wait let me get this straight. Now all of you are going to buy 1080p free-sync monitors? LOL

HOW BOUT ALL THEM FLOPS!

YEgYB3U.gif

stop

Raide

A great addition for future proofing the system. Great for when 4k sets get more than action, at least we know Scorpio will be ready.

Datschge

Actually while this is great and an actual megaton, could someone ask Dark if that means that the Scorpio supports variable HDR?
Article says Freesync 2, and that (aside tighter requirements for frequency range) is all about lag-free changes to the HDR meta data. So I'd say yes unless it's gimped in that regard.

Variable refresh rates at 4k means that every game can run at full 4k no matter what, even fluctuating wildly from 30 to 60.

Now if only nvidia would allow freesync on their gpus...you could have one monitor do all the work on pc/scorpio.

No way I'm playing anything again other than a great exclusive on a non-variable screen.

I'm a Sony guy, never been on Xbox...thinking of getting a Pro but not any longer now. I'll not be getting Scorpio either, but man. Scorpio is far superior to the Pro.

If I was a neutral and I had money, Scorpio would have been my pick.

Good news for gamers going forward, even if most won't be able to take advantage of these features for a year or two. It's going to be really interesting to see what Sony does with the PS5 and what MS does after that.

x-Lundz-x

HDMI 2.1, ok that is awesome. I am going to be buying an OLED TV this year and that makes me very happy.

I'm a Sony guy, never been on Xbox...thinking of getting a Pro but not any longer now. I'll not be getting Scorpio either, but man. Scorpio is far superior to the Pro.

If I was a neutral and I had money, Scorpio would have been my pick.

If you enjoy games why limit yourself to one or the other? (Money issues aside of course.)

ironcreed

Banned
Good news for gamers going forward, even if most won't be able to take advantage of these features for a year or two. It's going to be really interesting to see what Sony does with the PS5 and what MS does after that.

I don't plan on upgrading my TV for another two years anyway. I am fine with my 1080p set right now and thankfully I will be covered there as well due to automatic downsampling.

Qassim

This is huge. It possibly means quite a lot for (technical) game design due to it being on a fixed platform. Good stuff.

jet1911

I thought it did, as there was no mention on the Amazon page. Had to google some review which stated it didn't.

Going to hunt one down cause I need to buy one soon.

I posted a link to all the freesync monitors as of 01/2016 on the ladt page if it can help you :p

Damn, I literally just bought my 4K TV last year... I'm still on the verge of impulsively swapping it out for an OLED 1080p since OLED 4K costs an arm, a leg, and both kidneys. Hopefully a TV with all benefits at $800 or so will come eventually. My TV is still very new so at least OLED 4K Freesync will be at a good price in 10 years or so. Or however long it takes for these things to die off.

Top Bottom