• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

timlot

Banned
anyone else feel like there's a strange amount of egregious downplaying in Scorpio threads but also folks throwing too much salt around at actual reasonable posts?

I guess everyone can express their opinion, but when every post that's made by certain individuals in a thread is quoting another poster's positive take on the news with their negative spin you have to question their motives. But just like most positive Xbox threads this one will be hijacked at the end of its life by negative nannies going back and forth.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
According to Cerny they already had in mind what they wanted to do since near the launch of PS4. they didn't rush much. MS just came out with technology that makes sense after a year of waiting including this HDMI standard which was not available when Sony planned this unit. If Sony had come out a year after MS and MS launched last year, Sony would have HDMI 2.1 and not MS.

What MS are legitimately outdoing Sony on, are their treatment of software side applications and how they use that power for legacy games

Agree. I will say this, the XBO S and the Scorpio gave me reasons to actually want their consoles. Didnt feel that with the orig XBO.

The PS4 I wanted from day one, the Pro from day one.

Its not so much Sony dropped the ball with the Pro, its IMO MS did with with the orig XBO.. And have alot more ground to make up for. Not calling Sony arrogant or complacent either but there was no need to go so above and beyond with the Pro.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Wow! This is great news! Even if it is tech that won't be mainstream for a while it's great to see MS include support for it. I'm pretty excited to see the full Scorpio reveal.

My question for those who are saying the Pro could add in VRR support via firmware, if that's true then what is stopping current HDMI 2.0 TVs from adding support for VRR? Even if it's not full Freesync 2. The Digital Foundry article makes it seem like Freesync 2 and HDMI 2.1's built-in VRR support are two separate things and Scorpio will support both implementations. Assuming that's true and no additional hardware is required specifically for VRR support (not full HDMI 2.1) then couldn't it be possible for TV manufacturers to add in VRR support on current TVs? That could potentially mean Scorpio owners with a relatively new TV could get some form of VRR support without needing to wait for new TVs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just don't get how Pro could add in support via firmware but TVs couldn't do the same (unless it's the AMD apu in the Pro that makes this possible).

1: HDMI 2.1 is not finalized at the moment so TV manufacturers can't update their tv's at this time.

2: We've already seen PS3 firmware updates for HDMI and PS4 in the past. PS4 Pro released not that long ago, so it's logical they knew already about the HDMI 2.1 specs back then.

ironcreed

Banned
There is no way you can make that claim. First, and most importantly, you have no idea what Scorpio will cost. I can tell you one thing for sure, it isn't going to be $399 like some people on Gaf are hoping. If Scorpio costs $499 or $599 would you still say it is better designed?

Second, PS4 Pro came out a year ahead of Scorpio. You can't buy a Scorpio right now even if you wanted one. That year's head start factors in as a huge plus for the PS4 Pro as it is racking up sales right now while Scorpio is stuck a 0.

Finally, this FreeSync feature won't even be included in TVs until sometime next year. Virtually nobody could take advantage of it. Yea, some few people will go out and also buy a FreeSync over HDMI capable monitor, but that represents an extremely small number of gamers. For the vast majority of people who buy a Scorpio, FreeSync will be of no benefit.

So what we have is FreeSync becomes widely available to the mass market in 2018. We'll likely start to hear about the PS5 which will most certainly have FreeSync in 2019. That's about the time that the number of FreeSync capable TVs in the wild gets large enough to matter. That all sounds like good design and planning from Sony to me.

Can't claim what, that the specs and features leave the Pro behind? But they just do. We know what the specs and features are. As for pricing? Yeah, I can see where it might be more expensive, but it is damn sure designed to last and is definitely a big enough bump to last me at least 5 years, so I'm good.

As far as Sony goes, I am sticking with the base PS4. Whenever PS5 or whatever does release, I will certainly be there as well. As I love the exclusives too much not to be. But by the end of this year, Scorpio will easily have the best specs and features between the systems that are on the market. This is just reality, man.

Phones come out on a yearly basis and this is the first time consoles have done a refresh like this. Give me one reason why Sony rushed out the Pro last year? They could have easily waited a year and made a much better console refresh then what they did.

To be fair, though, you can use that same argument with every single piece of tech ever. Microsoft could wait another year on Scorpio, and guess what? It'd be even better.

That's just how it works.

pswii60

This might actually encourage me to replace my C6 OLED next year if LG's 2018 models support the new HDMI standard. That would be all kinds of awesome, Scorpio keeps on delivering so far.
Phones come out on a yearly basis and this is the first time consoles have done a refresh like this. Give me one reason why Sony rushed out the Pro last year? They could have easily waited a year and made a much better console refresh then what they did.
You know, Sony could bring out PS4 Super-Pro, or even PS5 (unlikely) late next year with an additional power advantage over Scorpio and some other unique features. Will you then be asking why MS rushed Scorpio out a year early?

Xandremi

So, if a TV supports HDMI 2.1, does that definitely mean it will support VRR?

I would say yes since its a built in feature for HDMI 2.1, we currently have no TVs released with such specs though. They are likely to drop later this year, expensive year if planning to pickup scorpio too X_X

Lady Gaia

Great move. This will be a significant breakthrough for game consoles, and a real feather in Microsoft's cap for getting there first. Of course it requires display support so the real question will be how long it takes for mainstream adoption in televisions.

Hopefully Samsung considers firmware updates to existing displays to get the technology to a wide audience. Of course it would be hard to resist making this the "must have" new feature to sell a bunch of new televisions.

VRR is within HDMI 2.1, but given how much of an asshole the manufacturers have been with updating HDMI firmware, expect to just buy another TV.

nillapuddin

I was 1000% set on making the 4k HDR OLED upgrade this fall for Scorpio (from 2012 LED 1080p).

Now this has made me doubt myself :(

TLZ

Banned
Again, it's still HDMI 2.0 with some features from HDMI 2.1 (via firmware). HDMI 2.1 is not available yet...
Does this mean TVs with 2.0 can add vrr only via an update? Please say yes. I just bought an oled few months ago and won't be buying another for many many years.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
To be fair, though, you can use that same argument with every single piece of tech ever. Microsoft could wait another year on Scorpio, and guess what? It'd be even better.

Exactly.

amdb00mer

No, it's a hardware thing you can't patch bandwidth with software. HDMI 2.1 is just a text on a paper right now....

Um, do you not understand what i'm saying? I'm saying the actual hardware and spec will be ratified before Scorpio, so Scorpio can have the physical HDMI 2.1 implemented. Who said anything about software patches. Where the heck did you pull that from? Not from me. Also you can't have VRR/Freesync 2 for TVs without supporting HDMI 2.1.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

I'm really enjoying this "rushed" and "half-assed" Pro narrative the MS/Xbox faithfuls are parroting these days. Sell me more on that tunnel vision lol smh.
It's really weird. What do they think the Scorpio would look like if it released last yr at the Pro's price or vice versa? They are playing leapfrog right now. When PS5 hits, does that make the Scorpio half-assed? No. For me, the Pro isn't worth upgrading to and I wouldn't upgrade to Scorpio if I still had my Xbox one. However, for someone jumping in now, both are attractive options and have their pros and cons.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't claim what, that the specs and features leave the Pro behind? But they just do. We know what the specs and features are. As for pricing? Yeah, I can see where it might be more expensive, but it is damn sure designed to last and is definitely a big enough bump to last me at least 5 years, so I'm good.

As far as Sony goes, I am sticking with the base PS4. Whenever PS5 or whatever does release, I will certainly be there as well. As I love the exclusives too much not to be. But by the end of this year, Scorpio will easily have the best specs and features between the systems that are on the market. This is just reality, man.

Obviously, but Sony had that crown since 2013, and again, isn't it kinda expected that hardware that launches a year later is more capable in terms of power? That's a no brainer.

You're acting like Microsoft is outclassing Sony here, as if both consoles launch at the same time. It's a weird stance to take, because one of them is in people's homes right now playing some of the most graphically advanced games, and the other isn't launching for at least 6 months. Yeah no shit there will be differences.

It's likely the two systems will leapfrog each other every two years or so. I wouldn't be under the assumption that any console would serve as 'the best' for more than 18 months or so.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

This. People need to stop with that "hallf-ass" and rushed bullshit. We can also talk about the One how Microsoft fucked-up the launch, used DDR3 etc etc..

We can call that a "rushed console".

Xandremi

Does this mean TVs with 2.0 can add vrr only via an update? Please say yes. I just bought an oled few months ago and won't be buying another for many many years.

There is no information currently on any such update, samsung maybe. I have been hesitant on a new TV because of HDMI 2.1 >.>

The best thing about having this for a console is that it helps it to age much, much better over time when more and more titles trade performance for shine factor. Obviously, it helps all of those games that have issues regardless of how they're pushing things, too. A very necessary option for consoles going forward.

WaterAstro

How about G-Sync? Kappa

That's a pretty nice move, but I guess it had to be freesync since it's AMD gpu, right? I wonder if Sony could end up doing the same thing since it's not exactly a hardware requirement. Well I think Sony is using a compatible GPU.

meirl

Banned
Obviously, but Sony had that crown since 2013, and again, isn't it kinda expected that hardware that launches a year later is more capable in terms of power? That's a no brainer.

You're acting like Microsoft is outclassing Sony here, as if both consoles launch at the same time. It's a weird stance to take, because one of them is in people's homes right now playing some of the most graphically advanced games, and the other isn't launching for at least 6 months. Yeah no shit there will be differences.

It's likely the two systems will leapfrog each other every two years or so. I wouldn't be under the assumption that any console would serve as 'the best' for more than 18 months or so.

Well, the Point is:

The difference between Xbox One and Xbox Scorpio is MUCH bigger than the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro. In fact there are Even games released right now that Run and look the same on ps4 and PS4 Pro. How is this Even possible? I doubt We will See anything like that with Scorpio.

See: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1359414

TLZ

Banned
There is no information currently on any such update, samsung maybe. I have been hesitant on a new TV because of HDMI 2.1 >.>
Ugh.

I've read somewhere when 2.1 was announced that some of its features could be added to 2.0 via an update, but what, when and how wasn't specified. I still hope this is true. All I want is vrr.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, the Point is:

The difference between Xbox One and Xbox Scorpio is MUCH bigger than the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro. In fact there are Even games released right now that Run and look the same on ps4 and PS4 Pro. How is this Even possible? I doubt We will See anything like that with Scorpio.

How is that a point? The XB1 launched underpowered compared to the PS4 and Scorpio is launching a year later than the PS4 Pro.
Yeah no shit the difference is bigger. It would be a joke if it weren't.

But then again, they still kept it rather modest going with Jaguar/Polaris. If Microsoft wanted, they could have gone way further with newer architectures at the expense of a higher price. They didn't. Maybe the next console will, who knows.

RootCause

Well, the Point is:

That's not related to the power of either system. That's got more to do with Sony not making it mandatory to patch a pro version. They only said it shouldn't run worse, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, the Point is:

No one is arguing that. Most are saying its not fair to call the Pro half-assed due to when it launched and its price

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How is that a point? The XB1 launched underpowered compared to the PS4 and Scorpio is launching a year later than the PS4 Pro.
Yeah no shit the difference is bigger. It would be a joke if it weren't.

But then again, they still kept it rather modest going with Jaguar/Polaris. If Microsoft wanted, they could have gone way further with newer architectures at the expense of a higher price. They didn't. Maybe the next console will, who knows.

semicustom zen is not ready for this year, there's no way they could have done that and launched this holiday if they were designing the console's innards last year, vega as well on that timetable

jrcbandit

People are living in a fantasy world of they think any TV manufacturer will patch in VRR support or will somehow update 2016 and 2017 TVs to HDMI 2.1. This is the perfect excuse to force people to repurchase a TV yet again. Remember all those receivers and tvs that had HDMI 2.0 ports which ended up being useless since they couldn't be updated to HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 support. There is no guarantee the 2018 TVs will even have proper HDMI 2.1 support.

gamz

Phil Spencer‏
Verified account
 @XboxP3 46m
46 minutes ago

Today is going to be a fun day.

hmmmm....

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, Freesync is quite the bomb shell. Xbox team really went all out with Scorpio. Can't wait for 4K-Freesync Halo 5 MP

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Well, the Point is:

Because all those games where designed for the original PS4, with most games added support for Pro.

I think after E3, we will see more games take full advantage of the ps4 pro hardware.

Syrus

Banned
People are living in a fantasy world of they think any TV manufacturer will patch in VRR support or will somehow update 2016 and 2017 TVs to HDMI 2.1. This is the perfect excuse to force people to repurchase a TV yet again. Remember all those receivers and tvs that had HDMI 2.0 ports which ended up being useless since they couldn't be updated to HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 support. There is no guarantee the 2018 TVs will even have proper HDMI 2.1 support.

Or TV with VRR especially affordable.

Yes im partially trying to make myself feel better about my tv purchase lol

TLZ

Banned
Um, do you not understand what i'm saying? I'm saying the actual hardware and spec will be ratified before Scorpio, so Scorpio can have the physical HDMI 2.1 implemented. Who said anything about software patches. Where the heck did you pull that from? Not from me. Also you can't have VRR/Freesync 2 for TVs without supporting HDMI 2.1.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Dynamic hdr and vrr dont require the new 48g cable at 4k60. So I'm hoping TV manufacturers can add these via firmware to 2.0.

Hoo-doo

Banned
semicustom zen is not ready for this year, there's no way they could have done that and launched this holiday if they were designing the console's innards last year, vega as well on that timetable

"Then why are they rushing it out this year? They could have made a so much more powerful console if they just waited another year!"

- ironcreed.

Just joking, obviously. But that kinda kills that argument.

King_Moc

Banned
Freesync huh? This is probably the first time Microsoft have actually done something to impress me since about 2010. That's a great feature to get in there.

Like i said in the other thread, some TVs like the KS8000 come with a separate box that has the HDMI inputs. The inputs are not in the actual TV. You plug that box in the TV itself. Theoretically, you could just get a newer one of those boxes with HDMI 2.1 inputs whenever they come out and replace it.

Thats what i love about this TV.

nillapuddin

What I clicked on: Project Scorpio specific thread

What I expected: New information and impressions about Project Scorpio

What I got: PS4 Pro debate

Can we seriously not devolve into console wars everyyyyy fucking time.

Freesync huh? This is probably the first time Microsoft have actually done something to impress me since about 2010. That's a great feature to get in there.

It's a really good feature, but for the most part, it's almost never going to be used, unless you use a FreeSync gaming monitor or wait another 2 years and hope that a company decides to actually have the ability to use FreeSync/Variable Refresh.

This. People need to stop with that "hallf-ass" and rushed bullshit. We can also talk about the One how Microsoft fucked-up the launch, used DDR3 etc etc..

We can call that a "rushed console".

DDR3 on XB1 made a lot of sense. Sony got exceptionally lucky that GDDR5 memory modules increased in size and decreased in price at the rate they did; PS4 was very close to launching with 4GB of RAM.

Lothars

Well, the Point is:

It's possible because not every old game has patches for the pro which will be the same for Scorpio. Not all old games will use Scorpio.

If they leap wasn't bigger from Xbox One to Scorpio than something would be wrong with Scorpio.

I agree xbox 1 to scorpio may feel like a generation leap
I don't think it will be that big of a leap.

It seems like a lot of what Microsoft is doing with Scorpio is just way more thoughtful than how Sony went about the Ps4 Pro. Yes, the hardware is more powerful a year later, but the more exciting things are the system-level texture filtering, FreeSync support, system-level supersampling, and an actual UHD Bluray player. This is most certainly where the "half-assed" comments are coming from. Sony is trying to patch in support to make their games run better, and seems to be doing an ok job at it after-the-fact. Microsoft seems to have thought all of this out and is offering quite a bit more to people who already own an Xbox One (or even 360 for that matter) in addition to being quite a bit more powerful than the Pro.

Top Bottom