• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

Afrikan

So right now most if not all PC Monitors support Active Sync Only through their display port? And Scorpio only supports it through its HDMI port?

how about hdmi to display Port adapters? any recent ones that support HDMI 2.1?

as far as some posters worried about devs pushing unlocked framerates lol... I'm sure/hope, they will just give the option in the display menu of a game.

It's more powerful, period. And with the added features it makes the Pro look completely half-assed.
The Pro was designed as a premium PS4, Scorpio is more of an Xbox 1.5. Two very different things. It was also released a year ago for and was cheaper than Scorpio will, presumably , launch at. Sony didn't really see the value in this stuff because by the time most of it is widespread , PS5 will be on the horizon. Not really fair to compare. Had Pro launched later this year, it might be a different story. Regardless, it's good news for console gamers

don't most console games have v sync on though, making this irreverent?

No. Vsync with Freesync enabled together will let Vsync limit the frame rate, and Freesync will push out every frame when they're ready as they're supposed to. So you're getting the absolute best performance. If Freesync gets patched in for the base and S models, I'm sure LFC will also be supported, which if the fps dips under 30, the refresh rate doubles until it gets back to 30hz so you'll still get smooth frame transitions.

sangreal

No. Vsync with Freesync enabled together will let Vsync limit the frame rate, and Freesync will push out every frame when they're ready as they're supposed to. So you're getting the absolute best performance. If Freesync gets patched in for the base and S models, I'm sure LFC will also be supported, which if the fps dips under 30, the refresh rate doubles until it gets back to 30hz so you'll still get smooth frame transitions.

Scorpio supports Freesync 2 so it will have LFC support. Who knows if that will be part of HDMI VRR requirements though

mcrommert

Banned
The Pro was designed as a premium PS4, Scorpio is more of an Xbox 1.5. Two very different things. It was also released a year ago for and was cheaper than Scorpio will, presumably , launch at. Sony didn't really see the value in this stuff because by the time most of it is widespread , PS5 will be on the horizon. Not really fair to compare. Had Pro launched later this year, it might be a different story. Regardless, it's good news for console gamers

Whatever you need to tell yourself

ironcreed

Banned

I think it is fair to compare them, as they both represent a mid-gen refresh and is what will be offered on the market until PS5 or whatever. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft simply went further and out-designed Sony this time. It is what it is. But Sony still kicks Microsoft's ass in terms of exclusives, which is a pretty big deal on it's own.

mocoworm

Wait let me get this straight. Now all of you are going to buy 1080p free-sync monitors? LOL

HOW BOUT ALL THEM FLOPS!

Drink-Warm-Salt-Water-Without-Refined-Table-Salt.jpg

:(

I guess I will wait to upgrade my y TV until thise feature becomes affordable. Probably by the olympic games 2020 or world cup 2022

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it is fair to compare them, as they both represent a mid-gen refresh and is what will be offered on the market until PS5 or whatever. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft simply went further and out-designed Sony this time. It is what it is. But Sony still kicks Microsoft's ass in terms of exclusives, which is a pretty big deal on it's own.

Realize there's a year between the two consoles though. It's kind of obvious the one that's coming later is able to pack in more hardware.

Would you call the iPhone 6 half-assed because the iPhone 6s beat it in benchmarks a year later? Maybe a bad example because a lot of you hate apple with a passion but surely you see the point i'm trying to make.

yyr

I'm still rocking a 40" 768p Sony LCD that's over 10 years old now. It's got minimal lag, which is nice, but I was seriously considering finally upgrading it this year. Now I'm wondering whether I should wait longer, heh.

Regardless, I can't wait to own this thing.

ironcreed

Banned
Realize there's a year between the two consoles though. It's kind of obvious the one that's coming later is able to pack in more hardware.

Would you call the iPhone 6 half-assed because the iPhone 6s beat it in benchmarks a year later? Maybe a bad example because a lot of you hate apple with a passion but surely you see the point i'm trying to make.

These are not phones that release every year, but I see what you are saying. Even so, they are both on the same playing field in terms of being a mid-gen refresh. Microsoft just waited a year and designed a better system that I feel is worth upgrading to. Can't say I feel that way about the Pro, which is why I am sticking with the base PS4 that I am more that happy with.

icespide

Banned
anyone else feel like there's a strange amount of egregious downplaying in Scorpio threads but also folks throwing too much salt around at actual reasonable posts?

EagleEyes

Phones come out on a yearly basis and this is the first time consoles have done a refresh like this. Give me one reason why Sony rushed out the Pro last year? They could have easily waited a year and made a much better console refresh then what they did.

theWB27

Phones come out on a yearly basis and this is the first time consoles have done a refresh like this. Give me one reason why Sony rushed out the Pro last year? They could have easily waited a year and made a much better console refresh then what they did.

Why is it on Hoo Doo to tell you why Sony did what they did? They made their choice on when to release and that's what we go with.

RootCause

With consoles moving to 4k, and using these kind of tech. I won't upgrade my tv until theres a 4k 60-65" tv with freesync.

anyone else feel like there's a strange amount of egregious downplaying in Scorpio threads but also folks throwing too much salt around at actual reasonable posts?

Its always like this. People get way too irrational over video games. I recommend not engaging in any of the nonsense. :)

The Pro wasn't rushed though?

Chris R

nVidia needs to work on opening Gsync. I love my monitor but would hate to toss it aside if the next GPU I buy ends up being an AMD card because of it being the best bang for the buck for my price range.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
will this make GTA4 run better with its weird frame rate on Xbox One?

No. THis does not make games run better performance wise as it is a TV side optimization and a product of HDMI itself. It only allows interpolation to make fluidity much more of a priority

ironcreed

Banned

For me the Pro was too early and too little. Microsoft waited an extra year and went the extra mile and I'll be ready to move up from my Xbox One some time in 2018.

nVidia needs to work on opening Gsync. I love my monitor but would hate to toss it aside if the next GPU I buy ends up being an AMD card because of it being the best bang for the buck for my price range.

They will never, ever allow that. The best that's going to happen is have both a G-sync and Freesync monitor, but never allow that kind of tech to be open to other companies.

We don't really know that. It could be exactly what Sony wanted it to be.
That's what I mean. It seems like the console refresh they wanted and at the price target they wanted to meet. It doesn't seem like something they rushed out the door.

It'll be interesting to see how this will end up working. Most FreeSync over HDMI panels at this time are 1080p models where LFC isn't even supported, so not exactly all that meaningful. It's the next gen FreeSync 2 monitors with HDR as well as HDMI 2.1 VRR 4K TV's that will ultimately be what people will end up using with Scorpio. We still haven't heard of a single actual FreeSync 2 monitor yet, and in all likelihood TV's with VRR are also going to take their sweet time to come to market and have a high price tag attached.

In any case this is very important first step to bringing variable refresh support to TV's and consoles. Give it a decade and maybe devs might finally be able to drop the 30/60 FPS targets.

Whatever you need to tell yourself
Lol. I had a Xbox One and gave it away for free. I've owned all of Sony's, MS' and Nintendo's consoles except for the Wii. Stop trying to cause shit. I've already said this is good news for console gamers and if MS can follow up on the software side of things, I will seriously be interested in a Scorpio.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Rushed? Sony set a base price, set a performance target and launched before the 2016 holiday season.

I don't feel it was rushed, really. They did what they could in the timeframe they chose. In the same vein you can consider Microsoft late to the party. Which is just as dumb a statement.

Inuhanyou

According to Cerny they already had in mind what they wanted to do since near the launch of PS4. they didn't rush much. MS just came out with technology that makes sense after a year of waiting including this HDMI standard which was not available when Sony planned this unit. If Sony had come out a year after MS and MS launched last year, Sony would have HDMI 2.1 and not MS.

What MS are legitimately outdoing Sony on, are their treatment of software side applications and how they use that power for legacy games

There is no way you can make that claim. First, and most importantly, you have no idea what Scorpio will cost. I can tell you one thing for sure, it isn't going to be $399 like some people on Gaf are hoping. If Scorpio costs $499 or $599 would you still say it is better designed?

Second, PS4 Pro came out a year ahead of Scorpio. You can't buy a Scorpio right now even if you wanted one. That year's head start factors in as a huge plus for the PS4 Pro as it is racking up sales right now while Scorpio is stuck a 0.

Finally, this FreeSync feature won't even be included in TVs until sometime next year. Virtually nobody could take advantage of it. Yea, some few people will go out and also buy a FreeSync over HDMI capable monitor, but that represents an extremely small number of gamers. For the vast majority of people who buy a Scorpio, FreeSync will be of no benefit.

So what we have is FreeSync becomes widely available to the mass market in 2018. We'll likely start to hear about the PS5 which will most certainly have FreeSync in 2019. That's about the time that the number of FreeSync capable TVs in the wild gets large enough to matter. That all sounds like good design and planning from Sony to me.

Interfectum

Rushed? Sony set a base price, set a performance target and launched before the 2016 holiday season.

I don't feel it was rushed, really. They did what they could in the timeframe they chose. In the same vein you can consider Microsoft late to the party. Which is just as dumb a statement.

Hardware wise the Pro was fine. I do think the software features of the Pro was rushed, though. Beast mode should have been in at launch and more fleshed out than it even is now. It was pretty dumb to launch a Pro console that did nothing to help your existing library unless it was specifically patched.

nstine

Wow! This is great news! Even if it is tech that won't be mainstream for a while it's great to see MS include support for it. I'm pretty excited to see the full Scorpio reveal.

My question for those who are saying the Pro could add in VRR support via firmware, if that's true then what is stopping current HDMI 2.0 TVs from adding support for VRR? Even if it's not full Freesync 2. The Digital Foundry article makes it seem like Freesync 2 and HDMI 2.1's built-in VRR support are two separate things and Scorpio will support both implementations. Assuming that's true and no additional hardware is required specifically for VRR support (not full HDMI 2.1) then couldn't it be possible for TV manufacturers to add in VRR support on current TVs? That could potentially mean Scorpio owners with a relatively new TV could get some form of VRR support without needing to wait for new TVs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just don't get how Pro could add in support via firmware but TVs couldn't do the same (unless it's the AMD apu in the Pro that makes this possible).

Vestal

Gold Member

Comparisons are fair though. They will be the Flagship consoles of both manufacturers for the foreseeable future. Criticism of their decision is fair as well, I mean this is a Gaming forum after all.

Sony did however fuck up a few things.. Like 4k Bluray..

Inuhanyou

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just don't get how Pro could add in support via firmware but TVs couldn't do the same (unless it's the AMD apu in the Pro that makes this possible).

We don't know of its possible, but if it is, it would be because the GPU side and HDMI standard as 2.0 in the console can be updated. The issue is that TV's have hardware inside of them that parse this data as well and they need to be updated to a specific state to be compatible.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm really enjoying this "rushed" and "half-assed" Pro narrative the MS/Xbox faithfuls are parroting these days. Sell me more on that tunnel vision lol smh.

As someone who dislikes Microsoft by default, this is huge and gets a standing ovation from me.

Variable refresh support on a console is absolutely great. Now if only TV manufactures added variable refresh support in their products....

They had pretty much zero reason to do so. Now they have one. :)

Wait let me get this straight. Now all of you are going to buy 1080p free-sync monitors? LOL

HOW BOUT ALL THEM FLOPS!
Lol

Who's alt are you?
On topic, I won't be able to take advantage of this for a couple of years, even if the TV's came out tomorrow. I just bought one goddammit

Lom1lo

So any monitors with freesync over hdmi and lfc capable available ? If not, when are the first freesync2 monitors arriving ?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This just makes my upcoming TV and Monitor purchases that much harder...

Was looking at the new crop of 4K HDR monitors, and they have G-sync... which will work for my computer, but my consoles are all hooked up to it too. So now I have to weigh how much I play each and whether I should go G-Sync, or a FreeSync option.

I was going to get a new TV this fall with Scorpio launch, but maybe I wait a bit longer and just focus on the monitor for now...

Top Bottom