• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
is youtube support still such a big deal? arent there enough other devices which allow u to watch those clips?

But the hardware is so great, the OLED screen is fantastic, it would be nice to have more smartphone like apps. Personnaly I'd really like some youtube and google reader app, and a competent browser, the hardware is there.

In response to Ken and Togo (forgot to quote):
Ahaha, you have to be in a party to use the voice chat, I think. I tried it once with someone who insisted I was using touch controls in UMvC3 and he set up a party and when I joined it, bam, voice chat. It was somewhat awkward. Anyway, I'm interested in some UMvC3 Vita lobbies. Add me if you have the game. PSN: ScalpelKnight

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Damn, that is a little soul crushing right there.

In my defense I didn't know the mic was used for game chat, I thought you had to buy the little headphone/mic set to talk to people. I was only yelling at the screen, I've never yelled at anyone in a public game before.

In my defense I didn't know the mic was used for game chat, I thought you had to buy the little headphone/mic set to talk to people. I was only yelling at the screen, I've never yelled at anyone in a public game before.

I meant soul crushing for you. I know I would've felt horrible even though it was such an easy mistake to make. ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait, I just watched that IGN video about switching accounts and I'm confused. I thought you actually didn't need two (or more in my case) cards, only to deactivate the system, say no to memory card format, and reactivate with a different account ?

There even was some post here about that the other day but I can't find it anymore o_O

You don't even need to deactivate the system.
This is only if you ever plan on getting rid of it.

Wait, so you can enable voice chat otherwise? I didn't know. UH. I should check. I don't commonly talk during my games though.

Well, it probably depends on the game. A Zipper TTPS would be an appropriate game for it, especially an online co-op mission like that instance he mentioned. Zipper has always been on the cutting edge of mic support.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wait, I just watched that IGN video about switching accounts and I'm confused. I thought you actually didn't need two (or more in my case) cards, only to deactivate the system, say no to memory card format, and reactivate with a different account ?

There even was some post here about that the other day but I can't find it anymore o_O

You don't even have to deactivate. Thats really just for when you sell your vita, so it isn't logged against your account. If you are swapping regularly just leave it

I really like all the different modes in Super Star Dust. Especially the one where you have no weapons only boost. Got 44M on that last night. Super addicting to have a boost last like 5 minutes straight. So hectic and awesome

Well, I called Sony and the long story short is that the lady rep told me to wait a couple more days then something may be done. I'm patient but I see others getting their code and I got nothing. I had registered for the 3g at 2pm EST Feb 15th. Others who did this later got theirs first. Come on now.

Did you activate your free month? You had to do it manually. If you didn't you won't get the code

Is there a way to save your progress in the Voyage mode of Lumines? My eyes can only take an hour of play.
I don't believe there is a quick save feature, but you can pause the game with the start button or enable sleep mode with the power button.

Yesterday, I managed to beat Escape Plan. It was pretty fun and all of the puzzles were approachable and fairly innovative. If it wasn't for the discount voucher it would have been a bit over-priced considering its length.

Epcott

My 2 days with the Vita...

Uncharted: Golden Abyss... I hate how they force feed you touch and gyro controls. It would be a better experience without the "massaging the back of the console" to climb a rope. Sure, they're optional, but still annoying. So far it's pretty fun. I'm only on chapter 2... it's also awkward constantly looking for places to snap photos for trophies.

Near: This really surprised me. I've read moans here in GAF about how it works. Strangely, I've found more people in the 4 mile radius using Vitas than I ever had using the 3DS street pass. Weeks ago, before I traded my 3DS, I took it to a campus and received not one street pass (even while standing outside of campus housing). However, I stand with the Vita outside a carwash with wifi, and 5-6 people show up in Near. Weird.

Music Unlimited:
This is amazing... I love it. I can look up any album (well, almost) and song when I'm home with access to wifi. Then I can choose to download my favorite playlists, albums, and songs from the service and take them with me, for $10 a month. It's pretty convenient when on the go, when listening to the tunes with the Vita plugged into the car stereo.

Remote Play: I tried an experiment... I read here you can't play PS games from the store on the Vita. So I used remote play and was able to play Unjammer Lammy on my Vita. It was pretty slick.

So far, this handheld is pretty damn fantastic.

My problem is slightly different.

I'm getting the message: "the use of location data is not allowed due to parental controls".

I believe the parental controls are on by default. I found out when I tried to watch that free South Park video a few weeks ago :p

Famassu

No, the fact that almost every other device under the sun has YT support makes its absence on the vita even more baffling. I cannot understand Sony sometimes. They get so much right with the system but what they get wrong leaves you speechless.
Bleh, no need to be so over the top. At most things like no Youtube playback are just small nitpicks, ones that will probably(/hopefully) be patched in within a year from now.

Gen X

My 2 days with the Vita...

Uncharted: Golden Abyss... I hate how they force feed you touch and gyro controls. It would be a better experience without the "massaging the back of the console" to climb a rope. Sure, they're optional, but still annoying.

So you're saying they shouldn't be there at all rather than give you an option to use them? smh.

Near: However, I stand with the Vita outside a carwash with wifi, and 5-6 people show up in Near. Weird.

It's accumulated data though. 3DS relies on two people being in the same place at the same time, Near just keeps track of people who have used Near in that area over a specific amount of time. When you click on a persons avatar in the Out and About screen it will give the the last date and time they were in that area.

Eusis

So you're saying they shouldn't be there at all rather than give you an option to use them? smh.
For every one of these that's a smart, fun extra there's something like touch-only menus or balancing while going across logs that's seriously dumb and annoying. The latter doesn't seem to work right AT ALL while laying down, and the former would only have been excusable if the menus were really designed for a touch interface rather than being the same (I believe) as before.

I had a bigger issue with the inability to change difficulty midway through a game, much like Naughty Dog did, but Normal on this is so much better than Normal on Uncharted 1 it ended up a moot point.

how do you change your background image for your PSN ID on the vita? People on my friends list that have a vita they have an image for their PSN profile. Someone has a skateboarder another one has fish.

Gen X

I had a bigger issue with the inability to change difficulty midway through a game, much like Naughty Dog did, but Normal on this is so much better than Normal on Uncharted 1 it ended up a moot point.

You can change the difficulty midway through, just choose Chapter instead of continue and select your difficulty. Unless you mean pause it and turn it down/up, which I don't know, I've never found the need to change the difficulty midway through any game I've ever played so I don't notice.

Eusis

You can change the difficulty midway through, just choose Chapter instead of continue and select your difficulty. Unless you mean pause it and turn it down/up, which I don't know, I've never changed the difficulty midway through any game I've ever played so I don't notice.
Oh, huh. Didn't consider doing it that way, but it was probably for the best I just stuck with Normal. A few annoying instances aside it hit the sweet spot, I probably wouldn't have seriously considered Easy if I hadn't rented it anyway.

Have the 32GB cards come to the EU yet? If not, do we have a date or even a timeframe that has been confirmed?

If the answer to both of those is not positive, where is the best place to import one from?

Gen X

how do you change your background image for your PSN ID on the vita? People on my friends list that have a vita they have an image for their PSN profile. Someone has a skateboarder another one has fish.

Go to your friends list and open your profile > edit account information

Epcott

I'm saying they're simply annoying by the sheer number. From opening a lock, to climbing a vine, to dragging the finger while fighting, to cleaning off items, to charcoal rubbing, to the numerous mediocrity you're using touch and gyro controls for.

I think I'll look for an option to turn off the controls, maybe it'll cut down on them... I can't remember them all. Actually, the constant tutorial notifications popping up is the annoyance, but I'm sure by the later chapters it won't be a problem.

It's accumulated data though. 3DS relies on two people being in the same place at the same time, Near just keeps track of people who have used Near in that area over a specific amount of time. When you click on a persons avatar in the Out and About screen it will give the the last date and time they were in that area.

Ah, I see! And thank Gaf for that Near tutorial thread. I was lost using it.

Himself

If I transfer a vita or PSP game downloaded on my ps3 to my vita, but then one day delete it from my vita memory card, will I still be able to transfer it to my vita again someday down the line?

Would I be better off downloading it directly to the Vita and backing it up on my ps3 in case i delete it from my vita memory card but still want to be able to put it back on my vita at a later date?

Or is it a one download one chance, fuck the customer sort of thing?

I'm having a tough time finding answers. Just trying to figure out how best to manage my memory card space.

Razorskin

----- ------
If I transfer a vita or PSP game downloaded on my ps3 to my vita, but then one day delete it from my vita memory card, will I still be able to transfer it to my vita again someday down the line?

Would I be better off downloading it directly to the Vita and backing it up on my ps3 in case i delete it from my vita memory card but still want to be able to put it back on my vita at a later date?

Or is it a one download one chance, fuck the customer sort of thing?

I'm having a tough time finding answers. Just trying to figure out how best to manage my memory card space.

You can delete it, and redownload it from you download list on your PSN account at any time as many times as you want. And you could also back it up on your PS3.

Gen X

I'm saying they're simply annoying by the sheer number. From opening a lock, to climbing a vine, to dragging the finger while fighting, to cleaning off items, to charcoal rubbing, to the numerous mediocrity you're using touch and gyro controls for.

I'll admit there were a few I didn't like but only because of the way they were implemented. For example, if I am giving someone a boost up a ledge I'd rather swiped my two index fingers up the rear screen to reflect one for each hand instead of a swipe on the front with one finger. The gyro aiming is awesome though, great for fine tuning those headshots and the swiping to climb was great cos it gave me time to scratch myself or grab a drink. :)

If you hate all those controls, wait till the last part of the game. Lol.

JWong

Banned
Has anyone attempted to put the Sony Carrying Case (with the sides open) into a FEB case?

I wonder if it'll fit.

I'll admit there were a few I didn't like but only because of the way they were implemented. For example, if I am giving someone a boost up a ledge I'd rather swiped my two index fingers up the rear screen to reflect one for each hand instead of a swipe on the front with one finger. The gyro aiming is awesome though, great for fine tuning those headshots and the swiping to climb was great cos it gave me time to scratch myself or grab a drink. :)

You don't need to swipe in the middle of the screen. I used my thumb and did small swipes on the corner of the screen and it worked fine.

Epcott

Omg... I hear it's pretty bad.

I didn't know there was gyro aiming. Now that's something I need to try out. But yeah, the log balancing and item dusting, ugh... no fun.

Yjynx

Omg... I hear it's pretty bad.

I didn't know there was gyro aiming. Now that's something I need to try out. But yeah, the log balancing and item dusting, ugh... no fun.

You should really try the gyro aiming - it's awesome. I think it should be mandatory in the future for every shooter game to have this option.

Himself

You can delete it, and redownload it from you download list on your PSN account at any time as many times as you want. And you could also back it up on your PS3.

Thanks! Thats good to know. For some reason i thought i remember reading something contrary to that. Something along the lines of once you transfer it from the ps3 to the vita, the game is deleted from the ps3 for good.

I know we have a thread for sales but real quick.. anyone wanting to sell off Wipeout or Rayman?

Also I wonder if the second hand trophy fix will ever get patched.

krpiper

So I downloaded the demo of Lumines,

as I was hesitant on grabbing it since I played lots of Lumines 2. I was sold in about 15 minutes haha, so I bought the DD copy.

But the problem is I have no Vita friends :(

Add me? krpiper

I also have MLB 12, Stardust, and Motorstorm

Varna

So there will never be a way for US owners to get a discount on their UMD games? I was considering the VITA to finally catch up on all the Persona games I missed and of course future titles that look pretty cool. But buying shit from PSN is way expensive (I rarely pay $40 for any game).

krpiper

How's MLB on Vita ?

I dont have a PS3, so I cant compare to the Bigger Brother.

But it's a very solid but very hard game. I am "upgrading" from MLB 09 on my PSP. Its very enjoyable, I've spent most of my time in RTTS, right now I am alternating between 2 careers, one as a pitcher and the other as a short stop.

The pitcher feels much harder to play as (2-3 2.94 ERA), but very rewarding. Dont go into this expecting to be Barry Bonds right out of the gate.

If your willing to put the time into it then I suggest a buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom