• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
Are the PSP Harvest Moon games worth bothering with? I have a strange desire to play one.

I want to play some Monster Hunter too.

I'm so weak.

Sleepy

Finally got some hands-on time with the system. Awesome stuff-- loved FIFA (so good), and Lumines(?). I think I am going to get this over the 3DS.

SRTtoZ

Congratulations developers of Rayman Origins. Your last level is so fucking infuriating that not only will I never play this game again (I've completed it now, I did have thoughts of maybe going for proper completion) but I might go out of my way to never touch a game of yours again, no matter how good it looks.

Tissue?

Ok, I guess Sony doesn't intend us to use multiple memory cards? I wanted to sell my 4gb, but I figured I should format it first. After that I I put my 32gb back in, turned it on, and all my icons were moved around to seemingly random places (probably the order they were installed on the system).

This had happened before, but I figured it was because I hadn't turned it off first. I made sure to shut it down this time, switched out, then powered on, still scrambled. Sorting all my crap takes around 20 minutes, with all the annoying deleting one page so you can create another, but you have to move the icons off first, then changing the theme color for each new page, etc is a major pain in the ass, and not something I would even bother with if I was pushed to use multiple cards.

This needs auto-sort SO BAD. It is simple, auto-sort by media type, then alpha-numeric, because that's all the hell I'm doing when I sort them myself. Just saving our damn icon placement would also be fine, or even folders. I know you're chasing the Apple model here Sony, but iOS devices don't let you store apps on separate memory sticks. This was uncharted territory, and you could've led the way with something better than this ridiculous and unintuitive solution.

I consider this just as aggravating and half-assed as the save management nonsense.

But I still love my Vita. :) <3 <3 <3

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bought Mutant Blobs or whatever the hell it's called. I've bought pretty much ever single Vita game that I had the slightest interest in, got like 12 of 'em now, DD is killin' me.

Random question: is it possible to disable voice chat? Sometimes I don't feel like chatting with random creeps from the internet, but it's hard to do that when voice chat is on by default.

Drakeon

Just bought Mutant Blobs or whatever the hell it's called. I've bought pretty much ever single Vita game that I had the slightest interest in, got like 12 of 'em now, DD is killin' me.

Random question: is it possible to disable voice chat? Sometimes I don't feel like chatting with random creeps from the internet, but it's hard to do that when voice chat is on by default.

Hold the playstation button, should allow you to set mic volume.

JWong

Banned

Which game puts Voice chat on by default?

KAOS

DukeTogo1300:
Ditto!!! I have a 16gb for movies/music and a 32gb for games and I won't even consider buying another memory card until Sony figures this shit out. It's cumbersome and annoying to have your spheres out of whack every time you switch memory cards!

Raoh

I have the Nyko Power Kit. Works just as well as OEM with the cable being a bit better while charging and playing since it's longer and the USB brick being a lot more compact unit than Sony's. On top of all that, the whole package is cheaper than Sony's versions.

Sold... thanks...

KillGore

So GAF, I need some help:

I currently have two memory cards (32gb and 8gb one) and I was thinking of giving the 8gb to my GF since I heard you could have one account per memory card? There's something I don't understand, when I swap memory cards, my account still stays locked to the system. The bought items are obviously missing on the other memory card but my account is still present. I thought that if I would swap cards, it would just log me in that specific account that's linked to the card. What the fuck sony?
or am I doing something wrong?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So GAF, I need some help:

I currently have two memory cards (32gb and 8gb one) and I was thinking of giving the 8gb to my GF since I heard you could have one account per memory card? There's something I don't understand, when I swap memory cards, my account still stays locked to the system. The bought items are obviously missing on the other memory card but my account is still present. I thought that if I would swap cards, it would just log me in that specific account that's linked to the card. What the fuck sony?
or am I doing something wrong?

You need to format your Vita. Choose to format, and select no when asked to format your memory card. The OS will reset and you can sign in to another account. Then you can pop in your GF's card.

Swapping memory cards will not change the account for you. The account is tied to the system, not the card.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, I called Sony and the long story short is that the lady rep told me to wait a couple more days then something may be done. I'm patient but I see others getting their code and I got nothing. I had registered for the 3g at 2pm EST Feb 15th. Others who did this later got theirs first. Come on now.

Anyone else hate developers who are using the rear touchpad to map directly to the screen? They need to stop that shit.
How do you think the rear touchpad should work? That seems like the most optimal solution to me.
If Sega ported Chromehounds to Vita with its epic online war and added touchscreen controls for your mech's cockpit, I think I would die from bliss.
Damn you. I'd nearly forgotten how much fun I had in Chromehounds!

KillGore

You need to format your Vita. Choose to format, and select no when asked to format your memory card. The OS will reset and you can sign in to another account. Then you can pop in your GF's card.

Swapping memory cards will not change the account for you. The account is tied to the system, not the card.

Got it, thank you :)

tch

Congratulations developers of Rayman Origins. Your last level is so fucking infuriating that not only will I never play this game again (I've completed it now, I did have thoughts of maybe going for proper completion) but I might go out of my way to never touch a game of yours again, no matter how good it looks.

Are you referring to Land of the livid dead?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are you referring to Land of the livid dead?

I assumed he meant the last "story" level, with the falling platforms. I died a lot on that level, but it was absolutely incredible, probably the best in the game. It's friggin' demanding but doable if you've got some platforming skills.

tch

I assumed he meant the last "story" level, with the falling platforms. I died a lot on that level, but it was absolutely incredible, probably the best in the game. It's friggin' demanding but doable if you've got some platforming skills.

Yeah it was a great level. I died a lot as well. But eventually got the time trophy. I just don't see how it could make someone that angry. Land of the livid dead was super fun, coming from Super meat boy it wasn't too bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wish there was a way to browse by sale items, even if it's not that necessary right now since Vita games are limited. Are any PSP games on sale? Is it still just that Dissidia shit that makes me want to spew?

I would also love to have a way to browse for content among my owned games, XBL does it and it's super helpful when browsing for additional content.

sakipon

I would also love to have a way to browse for content among my owned games, XBL does it and it's super helpful when browsing for additional content.

For a long time I've felt this is the biggest missing thing on PSN. I mean, even Nintendo's platforms recognize my games and show me which of them I haven't rated yet. Why doesn't Sony give me any kind of personalized service?

Can you make O Confirm and X Cancel on a NA Vita?
No, you can not.
I wish there was a way to browse by sale items, even if it's not that necessary right now since Vita games are limited. Are any PSP games on sale? Is it still just that Dissidia shit that makes me want to spew?
On the European Vita PSN Store there are categories for both items on sale and permanent price drops. Have you tried scrolling down past the first three categories?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Unit 13 does. Haven't tried many other games online. Maybe I accidentally enabled it *shrug.

Hahaha, Unit 13. I was playing co-op with a random a few nights ago and after about half a dozen tries, maybe more we finally completed the objective. I was making a run for the EZ and the other guy was mucking around (probably trying to get points) deactivating mines. I'm like "COME ON MAN! TIMES NEARLY UP!" but didn't actually know the mic was on. THe time ran out, we failed and I just let out a "FFS!" and I hear back this little kids voice "Sorry".

Felt a little stink after that and decided not to play with anymore randoms just incase.

Jubern

Wait, I just watched that IGN video about switching accounts and I'm confused. I thought you actually didn't need two (or more in my case) cards, only to deactivate the system, say no to memory card format, and reactivate with a different account ?

There even was some post here about that the other day but I can't find it anymore o_O

Diebuster

Wait, I just watched that IGN video about switching accounts and I'm confused. I thought you actually didn't need two (or more in my case) cards, only to deactivate the system, say no to memory card format, and reactivate with a different account ?

There even was some post here about that the other day but I can't find it anymore o_O

You don't. What you posted here is correct, and exactly what you need to do to switch accounts.

Hahaha, Unit 13. I was playing co-op with a random a few nights ago and after about half a dozen tries, maybe more we finally completed the objective. I was making a run for the EZ and the other guy was mucking around (probably trying to get points) deactivating mines. I'm like "COME ON MAN! TIMES NEARLY UP!" but didn't actually know the mic was on. THe time ran out, we failed and I just let out a "FFS!" and I hear back this little kids voice "Sorry".

Felt a little stink after that and decided not to play with anymore randoms just incase.

Wait, does the Vita use the built-in mic for voice chat? I never knew this...

I hope fellow GAFers didn't hear me cursing up a storm in UMvC3 :p

Damn, that is a little soul crushing right there.

Wait, does the Vita use the built-in mic for voice chat? I never knew this...

I hope fellow GAFers didn't hear me cursing up a storm in UMvC3 :p

I was wondering that very thing as Scalpel Knight was raping me. I bet I sounded like a spaz.

Darvan

I really do hope they include some form of youtube and html 5 support. As it stands now the device is hindered when using social applications ie. twitter, facebook and when clicking a link that has a video you can't view it on the system.

What get's me is even video's that are on Sony's own sites you can't view. This used to happen with the PS3 and am hoping it doesn't take years to get fixed on the Vita. I just wish there was more communication from Sony concerning these and other questions from people.

spats

I really do hope they include some form of youtube and html 5 support. As it stands now the device is hindered when using social applications ie. twitter, facebook and when clicking a link that has a video you can't view it on the system.

What get's me is even video's that are on Sony's own sites you can't view. This used to happen with the PS3 and am hoping it doesn't take years to get fixed on the Vita. I just wish there was more communication from Sony concerning these and other questions from people.

I'm positive we'll get some way to watch Youtube.

Its a completely baffling, pathetic and inexcusable oversight. I thought I must have been doing something wrong when I couldn't get any Youtube videos to play.

spats

Its a completely baffling, pathetic and inexcusable oversight. I thought I must have been found something wrong when I couldn't get any Youtube videos to play.

Wouldn't be a Sony product without gaping oversights in the software feature set, right?

I know there are MP4 versions of like 98% of the FLV's on YT that will auto-detect iOS devices, and that is Vita's preferred format (MP4). When I setup my iPad browser to identify itself as IE8 or something, it tries to play the FLV and gives me the 'no flash plugin' error, but identified as an iPad/Safari it uses the MP4 automatically. The Vita would probably be fine if it would identify itself properly so it retrieves the MP4 instead of the FLV.

Rats. The Japanese PS Store is doing a campaign where you answer a survey and get 1000 yen credit on your account, but it looks like they check that your IP is in Japan. Just got an email saying they're declining my participation. :(

Massa

I know there are MP4 versions of like 98% of the FLV's on YT that will auto-detect iOS devices, and that is Vita's preferred format (MP4). When I setup my iPad browser to identify itself as IE8 or something, it tries to play the FLV and gives me the 'no flash plugin' error, but identified as an iPad/Safari it uses the MP4 automatically. The Vita would probably be fine if it would identify itself properly so it retrieves the MP4 instead of the FLV.

The Vita browser still doesn't implement the HTML5 video tag so it can't play videos at all. The PS3 browser doesn't implement it either but at least it has a rudimentary version of the Flash plugin, which serves the same purpose.

is youtube support still such a big deal? arent there enough other devices which allow u to watch those clips?

Sony have talked up the Vita as a legitimate tablet replacement in the past, yet they've released with a browser that doesn't even support HTML5 video. Why is there a 3G model that can't be used for online gaming if all the other functions are completely terrible? Everyone else can manage to create a decent Webkit browser, why can't Sony?

Sony have dedicated around 40% of the system's RAM to background OS features, so clearly features outside of playing games matter to them , yet they're universally terrible. We don't even have a Netflix or iPlayer app in the UK yet ffs. I'm not about to carry my phone, iPad and Vita around with me, so if Sony want me to leave the iPad at home, they better beef up on the extra features.

GopherD

is youtube support still such a big deal? arent there enough other devices which allow u to watch those clips?
No, the fact that almost every other device under the sun has YT support makes its absence on the vita even more baffling. I cannot understand Sony sometimes. They get so much right with the system but what they get wrong leaves you speechless.

Massa

Sony have talked up the Vita as a legitimate tablet replacement in the past, yet they've released with a browser that doesn't even support HTML5 video. Why is there a 3G model that can't be used for online gaming if all the other functions are completely terrible? Everyone else can manage to create a decent Webkit browser, why can't Sony?

Sony have dedicated around 40% of the system's RAM to background OS features, so clearly features outside of playing games matter to them , yet they're universally terrible. We don't even have a Netflix or iPlayer app in the UK yet ffs. I'm not about to carry my phone, iPad and Vita around with me, so if Sony want me to leave the iPad at home, they better beef up on the extra features.

Sony branched WebKit in 2010 to do the PS3/PSV port. They finished it just ahead of the Vita coming out, most likely because they also had to build the entire foundation that WebKit needs and wasn't present at all.

They now have the foundation in place to build a decent tablet/phone OS, but there's obviously a lot of work to be done.

Perkel

Banned

Leave ipad and phone at home you will have more time to play games. Better deal

hertog

They were talk to Adobe about Flash support, but no news from them so far.

Also, no news about YouTube support.

Still pisses me off. It should be one awesome machine to browse the internet with on your couch, but even my old Iphone 3 is better at that aspect than my Vita.

And I know it's a handheld for playing games, but still :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom