• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I guess this is more of a Vita tech question.

In Uncharted, when you hold the vita up to a light source, how does that work? Is it the camera? I noticed it notified me that the network features were disabled after I was done, so I'm assuming it turned them on for some reason.

I wanted to respond to this from the other thread.

It's definitely the camera. I found myself playing at night with the wife sleeping next to me and was really annoyed by this need to have a light source. It almost stopped my progress completely. Luckily I was able to use my iPhone as a flashlight.

At first I was aiming it all around the back cover not really understanding how it would work. Does this thing detect heat from the back? I said to myself (it was late after all), but the meter went up very slowly. Then I realized that the camera was registering the light obviously and the meter went up in a second.

Wasn't too fond of that particular gimmick since it almost ruined my gaming night. (And my phone was completely discharged so I had to wait a few minutes for it to start, not a lot of fun).

ElNino

Just a note about the Hori Face Cover (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WJ6YGW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details, it's great in concept but not that great in execution. The latch for the screen is hard to pry off without using excessive force, there's no way to change game cards without taking off the entire case (unavoidable I suppose), and it's kind of annoying that it doesn't fit in the cradle with the case on. Considering I bought it for $30 before the price drop to what it is now, it was a pretty bad purchase.
I've been using the Hori Face Cover case for last two weeks and I don't really have the same problems you do. The latch for the screen certainly doesn't require excessive force for me, just enough to keep it from releasing on it's own but I've never had a difficult time opening it.

As for changing game cards with the case on, you can still access the port and change the cards without taking the Vita out of the case. I will concede that when folding the case all the way back (it has two hinges) that it does make it more difficult to open the game cover since the rear hinge is right beside the port, but it is still accessible.

Two questions.

Has anyone gotten their Super Stardust code from AT&T as the one month is now up for FEB buyers?

I saw yesterday someone mentioned they were progressing in levels in co op for unit 13, can anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to play co op since it came out and we were not unlocking levels.

legbone

°°ToMmY°°;36046072 said:
so guys, i want to buy a new game for my vita.

currently games i own are:
- uncharted
- rayman
- mutant blobs
- ridge racer
- motorstorm rc
- escape plan

i'm interested in lumines, but i'm waiting on a price cut and i'm looking for a 3d person game. i'll be buying ys7, too.

might i recommend wipeout 2048 (best racer on the system).

or virtua tennis (best looking game in my opinion).

or hot shots golf (my favorite game of the system so far).

any of these would be a nice addition to your collection.

For anyone who's curious about it the Metal Slug Anthology plays very well on the Vita. The load times are marginal enough to be almost completely non-obtrusive (although there are still some weird hitches on the character select screen) and all of the games besides Metal Slug 2 seem to run very well. In MS2 there is some significant slow-down towards the end of the game but I think that's true to the original arcade version. It isn't enough to detract from the experience really, as MS2 was still my favorite game in the Anthology.

Graphics on the Vita screen look nice and crisp and all of the games look great when stretched to fit the screen.

The games control very well using the Vita analog stick which I found preferable to using the d-pad (because of the series' joystick roots).

It's a great purchase for the Vita because it gives you 7 (well, more like 4 or 5 I guess) fun arcade games on your system that are always available to you. I haven't played any of these games in any other form for more than 20 minutes or so though so you might want to take these opinions with a grain of salt.

Oh, and by the way, Metal Slug 4 and 6 are complete garbage.

Does the anthology have working co op via ad hoc party or infAstructure?

Gravijah

it's cool to see people pickin' up psp titles digitally, hopefully it gives them a nice kick in the pants when it comes to sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it's cool to see people pickin' up psp titles digitally, hopefully it gives them a nice kick in the pants when it comes to sales.

its also cool to see some of the PSP publishers offering decent discounts on PSP games to get people to bite. Maybe they're finally realising there probably isn't much of a PSP digital market anymore, but Vita owners might be a nice source of income if they price sensibly.

all PSP games should be <£10 IMO. some on there are nearly £25 still

its also cool to see some of the PSP publishers offering decent discounts on PSP games to get people to bite. Maybe they're finally realising there probably isn't much of a PSP digital market anymore, but Vita owners might be a nice source of income if they price sensibly.

Yes now is the time to discount those PSP titles, once the Vita gets new games on a regular basis, not many people will give a damn about old/overpriced PSP titles.

So publishers, better cash-in now and let the discounts roll out.

To the person who sent me a friend request, I got home this morning after work and all those friend requests were canceled, expired, whatever. DyslexicChaos and ScalpelKnight I found posted in the thread and added them, but there was a third canceled request and I have no idea what it was called. Just send me another I guess?

Asked about this in the other thread, but think it got lost behind the LiquidMetal14 typo so I'll ask again.

So, haven't gone to the PS3 store since I got my Vita. Noticed the "minis" section had 3 different groups. Has it been confirmed only the games with the Vita lable work? Can I grab the PAC Man or Tetris that work on PSP? Is there a list out?

FGMPR

Banned
I just bought FFIV complete on PSN. I think this is the first game that's truly impressed me in regards to the OLED screen. It just looks so crisp and the colours truly come to life. Now if only Sony would include PS1 compatibility so I can have almost all the worthy FF mainline series on my handheld, with FFX coming later down the track (I'd kill for FFXII HD to go along with it).

KalBalboa

Banned
A question about video transfers:

I've already copied some episodes of Community and Beavis and Butthead over from my PS3 to my Vita, ones I purchased off the PSN. Does anyone know if it's possible to copy videos purchased on the Vita onto the PS3?

I see options for backup on the Vita when connected to a PS3, so I'm wondering if I can start buying videos this way rather than through my PS3 first.

It won't transfer over from a PS3 for me, but I was able to download it from my download history on the Vita.
What region? US here, can't download it from the history on vita.
Pacman CE mini shows up on my download history on the Vita, but it says it cannot be downloaded to a Vita. And that's today. US region here.

Yeah, no go for me either on the Vita download list. We should verify whether this is a UK/US specific variable giving people different results so people have due warning beyond that misleading mention in post #1. I actually bought Pac-Man Championship Edition because it was mentioned as working just fine in Vita Thread p2. Bummer, though I figure it will probably work eventually.

ToD_

Hmm Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Blazblue. I already have MvsC3 (vanilla) on the PS3 but haven't played it much. I think I'll enjoy it much more as a pick up and play title for the Vita. Blazblue just looks very nice judging by the screenshots but haven't played it yet on any platform. I do enjoy the Guilty Gear series, though.

Oh and Blazblue seems to be $5 cheaper on the PS Store. Is MvsC3 a good port?

Skilletor

Hmm Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Blazblue. I already have MvsC3 (vanilla) on the PS3 but haven't played it much. I think I'll enjoy it much more as a pick up and play title for the Vita. Blazblue just looks very nice judging by the screenshots but haven't played it yet on any platform. I do enjoy the Guilty Gear series, though.

It's a great port with amazing online. I have BB, but haven't had a chance to start playing yet.

Ken

MvC3 is an amazing port.

I've heard that BB is nothing like GG (and that GG still has more players than BB) but it's still a great port too.

Wazzim

Banned

I agree, €/£10 is the perfect pricepoint for psp games older than 1 year on PSN.

ksimm

It is, there are some great PSP games that look really good on VITA. When I sold my 30 PSP games I was a little miffed that there was no UMD to PSN scheme, but the sales / reduction in some prices have helped me choose what to rebuy / buy new.
The one title I will miss is Jeanne D'Arc as it was never released in the UK, I had the US import UMD. :[

Tactics Ogre and Corpse party are in my sights currently, and I wouldn't mind Phantasy Star Portable. The best thing about Vita and PSP titles is that we no longer have to suffer the shortcomings of the PSP screen, the ghosting in particular.

I visited a Vita kiosk at Wal-Mart yesterday and like how it forces launch from the menu icons right when you go into the LiveArea... I wish there was a setting for something like this on the standard home firmware... something like "Start on touch" since I wish I could just jump into stuff rather than jump into live area then stuff.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just downloaded Metal Slug 1 and 2. SNK glory on my Vita! Still has slowdown at spots, but both control and look great.

Nightz

Brought this up in the last thread but no one answered: Anyone actually buy Reality Fighters? The demo was actually fun for me and my wife got a kick out of seeing my face on the fighter. I don't know if that fun factor will last though, so I'd like to get impressions from someone who bought it.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nintendo eshop pouches as a minimal case to stuff the vita in your pocket?

reference:
nds_pouch_red_big_1.jpg

edit: not sure why I used eshop instead of club nintendo.
Yep works great! For that exact anti scratch purpose. Great for just sliding into your pocket :). Been using my since launch day and when my friend bought his Vita he mention that he started using his as it was hr perfect size.

imo it's a waste of time

They don't even do a good job of showing off the game. They just sit there and moan about how every game is shitty.

Captain Crazygloves does a way better job.

hmmm... I felt like they did a good job showing the good and bad of the system OS and the lineup. I guess if you were expecting PR enthusiasm and stuff to hype you up, then yeah, it might not have been for you. Still... it's a decent enough watch if you want something that isn't plastered with hype goggles.

btw: after playing a good hour or so with my roomie's vita, what's a good way to position your right hand over the buttons without your thumb knocking into the right stick?

Tailer

Hell yeah. I was using it in my bed at night and it was way too much for my eyes to comfortable. Needs to go at least 50% lower than that.

Lol when I was comparing the brightness to my SGS I noticed that the lowest setting is quite a bit darker but the highest setting is you know, higher. Find that kinda ironic since in some games they only let you have 80% max etc.

tzare

i wonder when will sony put Motorstorm AE on the PSN again. i wanna buy it for my racing fix on vita until a real motorstorm hits the system.

C-Drive

Anyone own Def Jam - Fight For New York: Takeover?

Have you tried the PS3 > Vita transfer route and did it work?

Edit: NEVERMIND I don't pay attention to compatibility lists.

Grinchy

Banned
I played an unhealthy amount of Mutant Blobs Attack yesterday. I'm not proud of myself and I think I'm starting to want to eat humans.

frequency

hmmm... I felt like they did a good job showing the good and bad of the system OS and the lineup. I guess if you were expecting PR enthusiasm and stuff to hype you up, then yeah, it might not have been for you. Still... it's a decent enough watch if you want something that isn't plastered with hype goggles.

btw: after playing a good hour or so with my roomie's vita, what's a good way to position your right hand over the buttons without your thumb knocking into the right stick?

I agree.
When I first saw some of it during launch, I thought they were being unfair. And I still kind of have issues with them treating it like a chore - a stark contrast with their whole day Kinect stream for example.

But as information videos, they do a good job of actually showing off the Vita with an unbiased perspective. We see some good things and the concerns and complaints that they expressed were very valid.

GQman2121

Banned
I would just like to recommend GTA: Chinatown Wars to anyone who is at all interested it in. It's all I've been playing at night in bed for the last week. It looks great on the screen; pays fine; and the story is compelling enough to hold my attention and keep me wanting to see what's going to happen next.

I do feel like the $20 asking price is still too much for a game nearly 3 years old (and to much for 99% of the PSP games on the store in general). But I'm happy I made the purchase.

I would just like to recommend GTA: Chinatown Wars to anyone who is at all interested it in. It's all I've been playing at night in bed for the last week. It looks great on the screen; pays fine; and the story is compelling enough to hold my attention and keep me wanting to see what's going to happen next.

I do feel like the $20 asking price is still too much for a game nearly 3 years old (and to much for 99% of the PSP games on the store in general). But I'm happy I made the purchase.

that is 1 title that I'd love for a vita version. Button controls + touchscreen for all the minigames.

gragy10

To the person who sent me a friend request, I got home this morning after work and all those friend requests were canceled, expired, whatever. DyslexicChaos and ScalpelKnight I found posted in the thread and added them, but there was a third canceled request and I have no idea what it was called. Just send me another I guess?

That was me i think - psn id is gragy79

JWong

Banned

They showed good? No, all I saw was bad and boring, and it was poorly organized.
They didn't even know about the Custom Soundtrack feature if that tells you anything. They pretty much told their viewers that the Vita DIDN'T have custom soundtracks. Such a disgrace.

Anyway, The Verge has a good video up and NewOB's crazy videos shows off the games really well.

i wonder when will sony put Motorstorm AE on the PSN again. i wanna buy it for my racing fix on vita until a real motorstorm hits the system.

You can thank the hackers that it will probably never be supported.

frequency

They showed good? No, all I saw was bad and boring, and it was poorly organized.
They didn't even know about the Custom Soundtrack feature if that tells you anything. They pretty much told their viewers that the Vita DIDN'T have custom soundtracks. Such a disgrace.

Actually, they corrected themselves.
At first they thought there wasn't, but they eventually went and showed it. I think it's in the Wipeout video if you want to see for yourself.

vg260

Probably a dumb question, but is there a setting to keep the unit from timing out so fast when not using it?

frequency

Probably a dumb question, but is there a setting to keep the unit from timing out so fast when not using it?

The longest is 5 minutes. Which is unfortunate... but at least a bit better than the default 1 minute.

It's in the Power Management stuff in the Settings I think.

I just picked up a Vita yesterday, still getting accustomed to it, so the OP looks like it will be super helpful. Only gripe at the moment is that I'm not yet quite sure how to comfortably hold the system while playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom