• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

I just threw up a little. Twin Snakes was a HORRIBLE remake. They added all the extra abilities without balancing it, so it made the entire game piss easy even on the hardest difficulties. Such a broken mess of a game, especially when compared to the godlike REmake.

See, I hear this complaint come up every time Twin Snakes is mentioned, but I don't understand it at all.

Nobody's forcing you to use the added features like First Person View, there's no reason you can't play the game in exactly the same way as the PS1 version.

P90

I just threw up a little. Twin Snakes was a HORRIBLE remake. They added all the extra abilities without balancing it, so it made the entire game piss easy even on the hardest difficulties. Such a broken mess of a game, especially when compared to the godlike REmake.

I would disagree with your assessment of Twin Snakes, but REMake was godlike.

You will likely be buying NFS on vita (if they deliver burnout paradise for speed like they said). This will be so huge the hype will suck you in I'm afraid...wallet at the ready.

It's burnout paradise mechanics - super social gameplay - with the need for speed theme. Come on dude, it's going to be good. The only negative aspect of open world is there aren't any. Imagine it like straight forward races (with a little bit of messing around time), except you know the area quite well cause you've driven around a bunch of times and it feels like you are actually racing in an area rather than another NFS map. They don't pull of the same environmental realism that GT and forza do on their regular tracks anyway. Also sometimes it was hard to tell where you were going but they showed this new feature to help with that, looked really good. Basically a very tall, thin and bright white line showing you where the next checkpoint is. I was meh about this but after watching this and reading this, I can't wait.

I know it is a little bit more hassle to get to the start of a race (although hopefully they've streamlined it, they say they've learnt a lot since BP) but the tradeoff is totally worth it with all the other fun to be had, it will be huge. So much fun.

I'm not sure GT will be soon - going by what happened with the PSP version, who knows what they'll do - you could say they should have learned from their mistake or that now Sony thinks it can take its time as people have a longer expectation for its arrival. I picked up Arctic Edge as RC wasn't quite enough but also really looking forward to any news of a proper motorstorm.

According to the second link I posted it should be, and then some. Hope the fps is a stable 30 at least..

Oh wait, I misread it before when they said "all the best shit". I thought they meant the vita version - but still they did write:

I'd feel better if the Vita port was being handled by Criterion themselves. Guess we won't know who's working on it for quite some time to come.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm...hope they didn't cheap out, a portable version of similar quality to the console versions would be insane. I'll get it for PC/console if it's no good, will have to wait for reviews or gameplay videos...could be really something though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah, but I'd be perfectly happy with them releasing it with borders.

...it'll never happen though :(
I'd be perfectly happy with it too, as I've never owned a Nintendo console, and thus haven't played it.

maybe capcom will suddenly love us

See, I hear this complaint come up every time Twin Snakes is mentioned, but I don't understand it at all.

Nobody's forcing you to use the added features like First Person View, there's no reason you can't play the game in exactly the same way as the PS1 version.

What? It's one of the games features, saying "well don't use it then" is practically admitting that the game designers did a horrible job. If it breaks the games balance, it shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Edit: And yes, I'd jump all over any port of REmake, even if it had enormous borders.

Ein Bear

What? It's one of the games features, saying "well don't use it then" is practically admitting that the game designers did a horrible job. If it breaks the games balance, it shouldn't be in there in the first place.

That doesn't even make any sense. There's no difference in playing through Twin Snakes whilst ignoring the features than there is in playing though a hypothetical remake that doesn't include them. The additions are a good thing, since it gives players more options to play the game in a way that's fun for them.

Personally I got a kick out of doing all the fun new stuff the first time I played through the game, but tend to play it like a prettier version of the PS1 original when I re-play it nowadays.

...but this doesn't have anything to do with the Vita, so I'll drop it.

I'd be perfectly happy with it too, as I've never owned a Nintendo console, and thus haven't played it.

maybe capcom will suddenly love us

They'll point to nobody buying their overpriced MvC3 DLC or SFxT, and use that as an excuse not to port it. :(

krpiper

Twin Snakes is a wonderful game, just a re-imagining of the original. It is like Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower.

I just picked up a Vita from my local Gamestop. $249.00- $50 equals my sub-$200 requirement. Once I have it charged and spend some time with it, I will be contributing to the thread more informatively.

What did you grab with it?

That doesn't even make any sense. There's no difference in playing through Twin Snakes whilst ignoring the features than there is in playing though a hypothetical remake that doesn't include them. The additions are a good thing, since it gives players more options to play the game in a way that's fun for them.

Personally I got a kick out of doing all the fun new stuff the first time I played through the game, but tend to play it like a prettier version of the PS1 original when I re-play it nowadays.

...but this doesn't have anything to do with the Vita, so I'll drop it.

I'm saying that a user should not have to consciously limit how they play a game in order for it to be a cohesive and well balanced game. That is bad game design. If I want to play through MGS1, I play through the original. I've got like 5 copies of it, so it's not hard (and to bring this back around, I can't wait until I can play it on my Vita).

Karish

Selling my Vita with everything seen here (and AC adapter/USB cable, not pictured)

• Wi-Fi Vita
  • 4gb Memory Card
  • Hot Shots Golf Vita
  • Carrying case
  • Card holder

$175 shipped to a GAFer

2012-07-10%2014.44.45.jpg

DR2K

Banned
Just noticed ... There's a shitload of Vita and 3DS titles specifically coming out in October.

For Vita only Persona 4 interests me. Assassin's Creed looks like it might be cool, and I'm undecided on Playstation all stars, roster so far is incredibly shitty.

EDIY forgot about Zero Escape, 999 kind of sucked so we'll see.

spannicus

I know that many people dont care for Angry Birds neither do I but why is it being released for everything but the Vita? Do Publishers not like the Vita? A new One Piece is also going to the PSP instead. Sony needs to jump on that Borderlands 2 deal and make things happen.

KalBalboa

Banned
I know that many people dont care for Angry Birds neither do I but why is it being released for everything but the Vita? Do Publishers not like the Vita? A new One Piece is also going to the PSP instead. Sony needs to jump on that Borderlands 2 deal and make things happen.

I think it has something to do with the initial install base combined with the fact Angry Birds exists as a PSP title. Maybe we'll see a deluxe version of Angry Birds sometime on Vita.

vesp

I'm sure itll be part of the playstation suite when it launches (and there is a minis version of it already i think).

Etzer

If I recall, Rovio is waiting to see how the Vita does in the market. The One Piece announcement made me do a double take, though. I really don't understand that.

The One Piece announcement made me do a double take, though. I really don't understand that.
PSP's install base is massive compared to Vita's, and skews much younger (i.e. One Piece's target audience).

Unless Sony goes all out to secure some insane Vita exclusives (which it likely won't do, based on the company's dire finances and PS3's conspicuous lack of third-party moneybags) or refuses to license PSP software (which it won't do, because it has a terrible bargaining position with Vita and third parties would just divert to 3DS instead), Vita will linger on the JP charts at sub-10k for a few months and die a pathetic, slow death by this time next year.

NA/EU is a different story, depending on the impact AC3:L and COD:BLOPS:D can make - but there is nothing on the horizon this year to whet the Japanese market's appetite.

spannicus

PSP's install base is massive compared to Vita's, and skews much younger (i.e. One Piece's target audience).

Unless Sony goes all out to secure some insane Vita exclusives (which it likely won't do, based on the company's dire finances and PS3's conspicuous lack of third-party moneybags) or refuses to license PSP software (which it won't do, because it has a terrible bargaining position with Vita and third parties would just divert to 3DS instead), Vita will linger on the JP charts at sub-10k for a few months and die a pathetic, slow death by this time next year.

NA/EU is a different story, depending on the impact AC3:L and COD:BLOPS:D can make - but there is nothing on the horizon this year to whet the Japanese market's appetite.

I Agree. Preordered BLOPS already without even seeing one image. Another question I have is why are the Vita titles handled with such secrecy? To get a better install base the Vita needs those important titles, So why are they not coming out swinging?

Skyzard

Banned
That was bad yeah...hopefully EU is slightly better [don't hate]. Or at least hopefully they are about to spring something big [RCR/JSR i hope]. But yeah that's a pretty disappointing week for vita. Cue reddit anger.

Haliela

why would you do this!!??

I'll admit, thinking about doing this myself. I'm scared about what is happening to the Vita. Very scared.

It's dying in Japan and not fairing well in the US either. There is hardly anything coming out for this thing compared to the competition. With the 3DSXL looming ever closer, I'm almost ready to jump ship.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not worried at all, lots of great stuff is coming, just need to wait a month or so though for the next dose :/ Hopefully we get PSone classic support in the mean time, or at least JSR/RCR...please Sony.

i-want-some-more.jpg

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'll admit, thinking about doing this myself. I'm scared about what is happening to the Vita. Very scared.

It's dying in Japan and not fairing well in the US either. There is hardly anything coming out for this thing compared to the competition. With the 3DSXL looming ever closer, I'm almost ready to jump ship.
But if you sell your Vita you won't be able to participate in the cool club that is this thread. Don't you want to be cool?

Sony REALLY needs to fix this piece of shit messaging system they got going on. Asynch Chess sounds awesome but FAILS with god awful messaging.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guess I'm weird. In terms of games I plan to get for the rest of the year, I've got about an equal amount for 3ds, Vita, and 360.

Also, just watched the Liberation trailer for the first time. Looks fantastic! I love the setting and the character looks awesome. Her hat is stylin. Probably going to play that before 3.

patsu

I don't see why 3DSXL will affect Vita more than 3DS.

In between Vita games and apps, there will be plenty of new PSP releases in the mean time. The Vita PSP experience is significantly better than PSP itself. It would be hard to go back to PSP once existing owners try a Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom