• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned

I can see it doing some damage if the advertisement is strong enough. Knowing Nintendo..

Given how people are somewhat familiar with the vita now, seeing mario on a similarly sized screen ENOUGH times would push some people, especially without Sony similarly flooding actual gameplay, and not just viral ads, to show the technical advantage.

I see this working better for nintendo in US then EU for some reason.

I'll admit, thinking about doing this myself. I'm scared about what is happening to the Vita. Very scared.

It's dying in Japan and not fairing well in the US either. There is hardly anything coming out for this thing compared to the competition. With the 3DSXL looming ever closer, I'm almost ready to jump ship.
anyone that jumps ship will be locked out forever so don't do it :| nah

There are a few titles coming out later this year that... hopefully boost sales.

Am I just blind or is there really no way to locate discounted content (PSP and mini) on the Vita store?

Nope, there's no way!

I can see it doing some damage if the advertisement is strong enough. Knowing Nintendo..

meh like ps3 and psp it'll just take a little while for it to come into its own.
Though sony is not helping themselves in this yet....at all.

IMO its 2 different markets so i cant see 3ds really hurting it as much as sony hurting themselves

Heysoos

In between Vita games and apps, there will be plenty of new PSP releases in the mean time. The Vita PSP experience is significantly better than PSP itself. It would be hard to go back to PSP once existing owners try a Vita.

I know I might be in the minority here but if I wanted to play PSP games I would have just bought a PSP. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can play some of the downloadable PSP games, but I was kind of hoping for more. There just doesn't seem to be anything for me here.. I realize plenty found a lot of games they like on the system there's just not much for me. The game I'm truly excited about Soul Sacrifice might be a while before it comes out. I don't know, I just can't find that game that keeps my playing. Rayman Origins looks beautiful, but it's just not as fun as I thought it would be. Super Stardust is nice, but I very much prefer Geometry Wars to get my twin stick shooter fix. I tried Metal Gear, but seeing as how I have the collection on the 360 unopened, that just felt like a waste too. I've spent most of my time on my Vita playing FFIV, that just doesn't justify me owning the system.

I'm not ready to give up on the system, it's a very sexy portable, it's just becoming harder for me to justify keeping it.

stryke

I've read multiple accounts of people using one mem card for multiple accounts, but every time I am switching accounts I get told along the lines of "this card is associated with another account" and I cannot work with it...what am I doing wrong?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I know I might be in the minority here but if I wanted to play PSP games I would have just bought a PSP.

You say this now, until you actually tried to play on a PSP. The experience of playing psp games is a lot better on the Vita on an actual psp. Fact is, I have a PSP, but now that I have a Vita, it is unthinkable for me to go back and play on that system, even though I am playing P3P now.

In any case, a Vita can play PSP games, but not vice versa.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Selling my Vita with everything seen here (and AC adapter/USB cable, not pictured)

• Wi-Fi Vita
  • 4gb Memory Card
  • Hot Shots Golf Vita
  • Carrying case
  • Card holder

$175 shipped to a GAFer
Strangely tempted... How much including shipping to Japan?

Skyzard

Banned
You say this now, until you actually tried to play on a PSP. The experience of playing psp games is a lot better on the Vita on an actual psp.

yep (especially my v1000)

meh like ps3 and psp it'll just take a little while for it to come into its own.
Though sony is not helping themselves in this yet....at all.

IMO its 2 different markets so i cant see 3ds really hurting it as much as sony hurting themselves

yep to both.

Quite nice when I'm in agreement so specifically with quite a few of people in the thread.

I don't know why I bother opening PS Store on my Vita on Tuesdays.

Seriously. Sad to say, I've been happy to see a Vita video over the past two weeks with Sound Shapes & Pulse.

Good god, I was excited to download free gaming videos native to the Vita. That is some sad shit because SCEA publishes SO LITTLE VITA CONTENT!

mauaus

I've read multiple accounts of people using one mem card for multiple accounts, but every time I am switching accounts I get told along the lines of "this card is associated with another account" and I cannot work with it...what am I doing wrong?
They are lying is simply not possible

spannicus

This page is quite a sad one.

Lol. I know but these are all concerns that we have. Many of us paid alot of money for the Vita. I dont have a PS3 so I really feel like I am missing out. The closet I have ever been to an RPG was Final Fantasy and thats because my room mate when I was stationed in Korea. He loved that game but I never really got into it. I played Phantasy Star for XBOX 360 but it didnt stick to me.

Heysoos

You say this now, until you actually tried to play on a PSP. The experience of playing psp games is a lot better on the Vita on an actual psp. Fact is, I have a PSP, but now that I have a Vita, it is unthinkable for me to go back and play on that system, even though I am playing P3P now.

In any case, a Vita can play PSP games, but not vice versa.

I did have a PSP. Bought the PSP phat on launch, then the slimmer 2000 model when that came out. I stand by what I said.

He does not have a PSP. He said that he would have bought a psp instead if he wanted to play psp games. I am giving him some advice as a person who owns both.

Guess I should have been more specific. Mine completely stopped working when my brother took it to the beach, never bothered rebuying just because I didn't have the money at the time.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
He does not have a PSP. He said that he would have bought a psp instead if he wanted to play psp games. I am giving him some advice as a person who owns both.
Oh, misread that. Sorry.

I can say that while I prefer PSP games on my Vita, it's not a significantly better experience. I like the analog stick, but other than that, they're about the same for me.

Lol. I know but these are all concerns that we have. Many of us paid alot of money for the Vita. I dont have a PS3 so I really feel like I am missing out. The closet I have ever been to an RPG was Final Fantasy and thats because my room mate when I was stationed in Korea. He loved that game but I never really got into it. I played Phantasy Star for XBOX 360 but it didnt stick to me.

what REALLY rustles my jimmies about not owning a ps3 is Peacewalker. I wanted/want this game SOOOOOO bad for vita but because I dont have a Vita install machine I have to miss out. Sick of waiting for the inevitable PWHD that they going to milk me for. This one of my main reasons for buying a vita and I dont like being jerked off on this....VC 2 is also on that list

Skyzard

Banned

PS3 is wonderful, but it is a lot of effort and restrictive. I can see you being frustrated (take it out on some wipeout 2048) but it will pay off to own a vita. Timeline:

| Now | ------------------------------| 3 months from now |---------

For enthusiastic gamers--------------------getting most potential customers to the 50-60% point

| 6 months from now | ---------------------------------------------| 1 year+ |

Closer still, perhaps 70-80% happy, enough for a lot-----------Vita becomes a treasured possession, you fear its safety daily

That was fun.
edit: ruined it, you get the idea.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I did have a PSP. Bought the PSP phat on launch, then the slimmer 2000 model when that came out. I stand by what I said.

Guess I should have been more specific. Mine completely stopped working when my brother took it to the beach, never bothered rebuying just because I didn't have the money at the time.

Then I take back what I said. IF you are a previous PSP owner, then I can see you getting less out of the system, since you probably already experienced what the PSP library offers. But if you are a person who did not own a PSP, you are better off just buying a Vita. I have played Dissidia and Gods eater burst on it, and it was just borderline incredible to me how I actually put up with the single analogue set up years ago. The better battery life and screen also makes it a more ideal experience.

Koroviev

what REALLY rustles my jimmies about not owning a ps3 is Peacewalker. I wanted/want this game SOOOOOO bad for vita but because I dont have a Vita install machine I have to miss out. Sick of waiting for the inevitable PWHD that they going to milk me for. This one of my main reasons for buying a vita and I dont like being jerked off on this....VC 2 was also on that list

I think it might be better to wait for PWHD Vita, if that is a thing. PW for the PSP only runs at 20 fps or something awful like that.

Oh, misread that. Sorry.

I can say that while I prefer PSP games on my Vita, it's not a significantly better experience. I like the analog stick, but other than that, they're about the same for me.

This doesn't sound like proselytizing.

I think it might be better to wait for PWHD Vita, if that is a thing. PW for the PSP only runs at 20 fps or something awful like that.
i LOVED that game....and replayed a few times....even got the all fem insignia...but I really want to play it with proper controls as it was touted multiple times.

Skyzard

Banned
Did you not see Jet Set Radio in full life force at the second post of the page? I put that there to remove all doubt after the previous page.

Koroviev

Anyone think we had bet on the wrong horse and should have gotten 3DS instead of Vita?

Not at all. I like my 3DS, but I have much more software for the Vita. It's the 3DS that I'm waiting on right now. Fire Emblem, SMT IV, etc. It's just my Devil Survivor/Pushmo machine for the time being.

spannicus

PS3 is wonderful, but it is a lot of effort and restrictive. I can see you being frustrated (take it out on some wipeout 2048) but it will pay off to own a vita. Timeline:

That was fun.
edit: ruined it, you get the idea.

I carry my Vita with me in my Book bag, when I am riding around town on my Moto bike the Vita rides with me. I just want to play Puddle on it.

spannicus

what REALLY rustles my jimmies about not owning a ps3 is Peacewalker. I wanted/want this game SOOOOOO bad for vita but because I dont have a Vita install machine I have to miss out. Sick of waiting for the inevitable PWHD that they going to milk me for. This one of my main reasons for buying a vita and I dont like being jerked off on this....VC 2 is also on that list

I was pissed myself seeing as though we bought an incomplete version compared to the others because it was already available on the PSP...not in HD

zroid

Banned
Nope i bet on both so im #winning (or #losing...depends on how you look at it)

Team both is totally #winning

It's true that I have roughly 10x as many 3DS games as Vita games at the moment, but hey, I've had it for 14 months longer. At a comparable stage in the 3DS lifecycle, I had a similar number of games. Everyone needs to just take it easy and give it time.

spannicus

Anyone think we had bet on the wrong horse and should have gotten 3DS instead of Vita?

I do sometimes, mainly because I know so little about Sony. My son has a 3DS that I bought and it irks my nerves to see him playing Revelations while I try to figure out what to play.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I was pissed myself seeing as though we bought an incomplete version compared to the others because it was already available on the PSP...not in HD

I think it was also a space issue. MGS2 and MGS3 fits into a single 4gb cart, with PW in it, konami probably would have to fork out more on a larger capacity cart.

gotta admit im kinda pissed at Trendy for cancelling Dungeon defenders as well. This was also A MAJOR contributor to my vita purchase. I loved the PC version and went pretty far in the game. The early announcement of the vita version I was all in....though trendy seems pretty inept lately and reminds me of rovio so this is par for their course.

all in all the vita FAILED hardcore with my initial expectations (PW,DD,VC2, psp UMD discount, versatile, Hot Shots Golf) but exceeded in other areas which is keeping me at bay (gravity rush, twitter app actually works,freebies, etc).

at this point im banking on pssuitemobile to give me some real goods!!

Koroviev

gotta admit im kinda pissed at Trendy for cancelling Dungeon defenders as well. This was also A MAJOR contributor to my vita purchase. I loved the PC version and went pretty far in the game. The early announcement of the vita version I was all in....though trendy seems pretty inept lately and reminds me of rovio so this is par for their course.

all in all the vita FAILED hardcore with my initial expectations (PW,DD,VC2, psp UMD discount, versatile, Hot Shots Golf) but exceeded in other areas which is keeping me at bay (gravity rush, twitter app actually works,freebies, etc)

You don't know anyone with a PS3?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Why couldnt they just do a double cart release like the bigger consoles do double discs.

Because they cost money. Carts are probably more expensive than discs. I think even extra discs costs significant amounts of money, I remember the number of discs being an issue with Rage.

Koroviev

why should i have to???

Actually, locally, I dont. Im in a newer city (Boston) and am not in school so finding other gamers isnt easy for me...im also pretty not social besides pubs...so...

You shouldn't have to, but it's the option I would pursue if I were in that position.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah it looks amazing and just thinking about tilting the Vita side to side makes it so much better for me.

The vita just is a great piece of hardware that suits SO MANY GAMES it is unreal the amount of individuals who have a vita who are just sitting there thinking of their favourite games that they'd love to play on this, and know it would likely play well if it was made - especially in the early stages of the vita's lifetime when the catalogue is just starting up. I bet the potential people see in the vita plays a part in the frustration and extra toll on our patience as well.

I think a lot of developers, even more so the ones behind the PSN titles that are currently available for PS3, are thinking the same thing and I would not be surprised to hear of a lot of the games making their way over as the vita grows. The more popular titles usually make the switch over first, which is frustrating for fans of a wide-variety of games but it makes sense financially.

Personally I'm hoping for those great 2d pixel junk shooters and journey to make it over especially. They seem reasonably popular as well so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them within a year or two as well. I'm not dying for any though, unlike for quite a few (like 5 or 6?*) upcoming titles.

*Have to:
Retro City Rampage
Jet Set Radio
Sonic and Sega All stars transformed
Sly Cooper 4
SFxT
NFS Most Wanted < - if it is faithful to the console version and does it justice
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Little Big Planet
Persona 4 <- will be my first entry to the series
Sine Mora

And a few down the line and maybes too, particularly Soul Sacrifice.

How can you be worried with those to keep you occupied when you know a Gran Turismo, Tekken, Final Fantasy and probably Metal Gear Solid will be down the line as more titles spring up and we're flooded with psx compatible games and new PSsuite titles. No sweat.

If you are waiting for a Batman or Watch Dog kind of game to land in our hands in the next few months then I will be dreaming like some of you but we have to manage expectations a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom