• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

wait, it doesn't support dlna either? granted, i can't even get media server to work properly on the ps3, but this is utterly disgraceful.

According to Albert you can play your own music on Xbox One. No answer about DLNA yet.

Xbone will support the play to charm on windows 8. Ms already showed this... However, I think the play to is based on a proprietary protocol from Ms, and not open like DLNA, so it will probably only work from W8/8.1 Pcs to xbox.

However, with an open app store on xbone, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to see either players capable of playing the content themselves or that do support DLNA streaming...

Rapstah

Giving custom wrestlers ridiculous intro music was a great use for this feature on this gen's consoles and it's stupid as hell that they can't have both. Sell your music service on being easy access to legal official music, not the only acess to music at all.

i-Lo

Pay for background music? Can't play MP3s stored in the drive? What the fuck? WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING THIS SONY? This is so anti consumerist bullshit.

ItIsOkBro

This is actually awful, every game that allowed custom soundtracks on PS3 I played my MP3s.

Also I remember them boasting about a feature that more games allowing custom soundtracks, which makes this even worse.

M77zqBK.png

1 year of music unlimited - 59,99$ (41,99$ for ps+ members)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Wow what a great deal. Will definitely subscribe for MU.
Hell no.

Sony cutting corners right before launch, no MP3 support is a huge loss.

It's Sony showing that they're a real company with departments that have their own priorities. The development team within the Playstation division is a dream come true for us, but they have to answer to plenty of other suits in and around them. This is my guess, but from what I've seen this has to be the case. I only hope that we can get them to open things up because at the very least we should be able to bring in our own mp3's to play music in the background.

Tsundere

Banned
Albert said it. How much more confirmation do you need?

Quote me where he says you can do those specific things at launch (use your own mp3s to play in the background).

And just for clarification, Albert... is hardly confirmation of anything, considering all he's said on NeoGaf.

Bedlam

I was already contemplating cancelling my PS4 pre-order after some recent developments (Driveclub delayed etc) but this might just be the one thing that finally makes me pull the trigger.

I used both my 360 and PS3 for listening to mp3s regularly. :-/
So, I just did it.
However, I was close to cancelling anyway, this was just the last straw. I'm just gonna buy a PS4 next year when there are more games to play and the first kinks are ironed out.

Then you're oblivious, and very, very wrong. And calling anybody who wants to stream content from their PC to their consoles connected to the TV a pirate.

Using media devices for simple media capabilities is now some kind of illicit activity.

Don't take everything so personally I didn't say YOU, I said people. And I know plenty of people who do exactly what I said.

I feel like someone needs to tap Sony on the shoulder and tell it that if it wants people to use Music Unlimited (or any of its other services) then perhaps it should actually make it worth a damn. Get a stronger catalogue and some better software. Trying to use a product as a Trojan Horse isn't a good look.

The DNLA stuff is obvious, too, as they wanna sell you stuff from Video Unlimited. But Video Unlimited is, ironically, limited to where it's usable. It's not usable in New Zealand, for example.

Elginer

This is some major bullshit. I mean really, even the damn original Xbox could play my damn MP3s and we're in 2013 and instead of going forward we're going backward. WTF is this?

No DLNA or MP3 playback is a big damn deal. I was expecting the PS4 to do pretty much everything the PS3 did - only better. They better patch that shit that.

Whogie

No DLNA!? What the fuck. I thought that was a given.

Really hoping XB1 has it (and that it's even a little better than the 360's implementation.)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My personal view on the PS4:

Video Games - check
Netflix - check
Blu ray movie playback - check
Everything else - HarrisonFordwhogivesashit.gif

They do as long as you pay them $10/m. Which is why this is a shit move. Worse than putting the feature behind the PS+ paywall.

For people like me that live in non major regions\ countries it's one of the biggest Fuck you you can do .
Even if i wanted to pay i can't cause it not support where i am .
Well i guess Sony will just lose sales from me and my friends .

grkazan12

Maybe this is what CBOAT was warning about when he/she that the companies aren't in it for us and are trying to monetize every aspect of the console.

Is this apart of the upcoming ass storm?

Ambient80

Where is this from? And if this is true it's absolute horseshit. This should be a standard feature. Makes no fucking sense to do this. I don't want to sign up for your shitty ass streaming solution.

Edit: Didn't see the other thread so this is from their offiicial FAQ. Such bullshit.

Mmm, ass streaming.

It can't play cds either, right? (or was that the xbone)
I remember that thread 'lol who uses cds now all my music is digital now', the irony in hindsight:p

anyhow, wow, so fucking stupid

leme guess there is also no mkv or mp4 support , and there will still be no option to play subtitle files for your rips.

edit : and no DLNA either? hahahahahahha

PS4, it only does NOTHING online fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom