• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

f6Ik8ss.png

ruh roh

next gen is here.

Thread on this, he already corrected himself.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm honestly thinking about canceling my pre-order. To not have MP3's just to force your shitty music and video service on people is lame.

That is what makes it seem so slimy. Again, this does not affect me because I don't listen to music on my consoles. But most absolutely do care about this feature, so it is a big blow for sure. No dancing around it.

No one wants to use MU Sony. Stopping people from using their own music is so 1999. It's 2013 you idiots.

This; it's amazing that the playstation brand can do most everything right for gaming, but then messes this simple thing up. Just keep it the way it is now on PS3.

What a bunch of assholes.

Phatmac

It's not that important but jesus both of these companies are trying their best to not get me excited for either of them. Instead of promoting what they're adding this gen more news comes out about features that aren't coming to next gen.

jmdajr

Seems pretty fucking stupid

It's THE format of choice for music. It's not like they are on the way out like DVD-Video.

This is something sony woild be wise to patch in, all the music i play in my home comes of my ps3, not being able to use the PS4 like that is stupid.

Holy fuck.. Definitely the worst ps4 news I heard thus far. pre order cancelled. Its fully capable of playing mp3 along with games but cannot for sony reasons.

If they are serious about ps4 being center of living room they would remove this garbage.

Hey I asked this in the locked thread and didn't get a reply:

Wait wait wait, can somebody slow this down and answer my question?

Can I stream Giant Bomb videos to either console via my PC? Or is that a no go?

I mean I fall asleep every night to the sound of GB's sweet heavenly voice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ignata

Read FAQ, laughed at the parts that said "No CDs, no MP3s, no DLNA" and said to myself "well of course not, who would want to do any of that on a gaming console?"

...and then I came here and found out I was way off. Hopefully that all gets patched in when they realize there is demand for it. Personally I'm not comfortable keeping my consoles on any longer than they need to be, so I'll stick with streaming through a Roku. No excuse though, the option should always be available.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
While I never played MP3s on my PS3 and probably wouldn't on my PS4 I do find the fact that they are taking little features like this away a bit unsettling.

ironcreed

Banned
I see the Xbone is doing this as well. Fuck turning these consoles into service boxes. Just be thankful they still play games, lol.

Mister D

I pretty much expected this donkey shit. Sony can kiss my ass if they think I'm gonna subscribe to MU just to have custom soundtracks during gameplay. I really loved that feature on the OG Xbox as a lot of racing games have crap soundtracks in my opinion so being able to stream my own collection of music via DLNA while playing was pretty damn cool. Since I have a gaming PC now and will be getting most of those types of games on PC, I can just run Winamp and stream whatever I want while turning down the music in the sound settings of the game. MS' implementation of this was pretty innovative since it would pause the music during cutscenes and resume once gameplay did. I haven't used it too much on 360 so I can't remember if it was the same and who knows if the Xbone will still allow this. Not a deal breaker but it does suck how these corporations take away stuff we get used to so they can push their inferior services. How about leaving both options in and if your service is worth anything people will choose to subscribe to it.

NuSoardGraphite

Neo Member
That really sucks.

I don't care about custom sountracks one iota. I generally enjoy the soundtracks of the games I buy. But I'm a big music listener. I want to play my CD's and my MP3's on my player.

I've had a subscription to Music Unlimited. It just plain sucks. Maybe they've improved it in the two years since I dropped my subscription, but when I had it, I could hardly find any artists I wanted to listen to. I listen to a few mainstream artists, a lot of underground stuff too, but mostly I listen to classics. 80's music most especially (anything from the 80's that pop, rock or R&B related) and I STILL had a hard time finding crap to listen to on MU. That's just unacceptable.

Sony has this generation in the bag if they just get their heads out of their asses and realize that MS lost fans for this exact reason: restricting features on their console. We don't want that. We want choice. The company that gives us the most choice is going to get our dollars and at this point, it's looking like Nintendo or PC...

Yazuka

Goddamn it! Was really hoping on this. I will not subscribe for music unlimited, I want to play my own damn music. Bah.

farisr

Goodness people.....this is not something we are just learning. This was confirmed like at least a month or two ago.

Nope. All they said was that we can use music unlimited for custom soundtracks on the ps4. There was no statement saying that your own mp3s cannot be played back or used for custom soundtracks.

Snubbers

Ahhh... Poooo Doooo

One thing I absolutely love on the 360 is just bringing up the guide and selecting anything off my uPNP music server..

But hey-ho..

nampad

What's this bullshit? No mp3 support?
I don't really use background music but this is just stupid.

I am even a Music Unlimited subscriber right now and would renew it when Sony would let me. Because I am already a subscriber and PS+ member, I can't renew it at the discounted price. Way to go to keep your members.

Bullshit. This is news to me, and I've asked about exactly this feature here quite a bit.

If this is true Sony can go fuck itself.

Correct .
I had no idea the PS4 could not play MP3 which is so simple in 2013.
Don't care about there business reasons until this get patch i won't buy a PS4.

They'll add it later. This is typical Sony way of doing things. They want people to stay in the Sony ecosystem but will soon cave and enable mp3 support at very least.

Same with wallpapers, etc.

Zynx

Hah, if the game and system restrict recording of certain portions of the game, just use an external capture system. And depending on how often this dubious "feature" is used, such videos could even be spread by labeling them as "banned" or "restricted" footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom