• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 (Yukimura) coming March 26

jacobeid

Banned
I noticed that the system update might have stuffed a recent save file due to the database rebuild. My Game of Thrones save file didn't show that I'd played Episode 3, which I'd played in its entirety just before doing the update. Very annoying.

Honestly that's probably on Telltale's end, not Sony's.

Is the cloud storage limit still 1GB? I just noticed, that my app save data had gone up to 1.1GB due to Driveclub replays, yet it had still uploaded last night's Bloodborne save data.

I was wondering this too. Im definitely over 1GB, because I remember getting an alert about it a while back, but I noticed that everything keeps uploading.

Melchiah

They increased it!? MEGATON

I'm not sure if it's so though, as I don't know how to check how much I have in total in the cloud storage. The system side is at 1.1GB, and it has uploaded all the recent files there.

EDIT:
I was wondering this too. Im definitely over 1GB, because I remember getting an alert about it a while back, but I noticed that everything keeps uploading.

I never got an alert when I went over it, and that happened the day when replays were added to Driveclub.

JP

Is the cloud storage limit still 1GB? I just noticed, that my app save data had gone up to 1.1GB due to Driveclub replays, yet it had still uploaded last night's Bloodborne save data.
I'd love for that to be true, that would be the best addition by far it it's true.

Is there a way for people to check how much space is still available? You used to be able to do that on the PS3 but I've not found a way to do it on the PS4 yet.

I swear the PS4 is the biggest POS sometimes.

I just updated the firmware and then out of no where it said HDMI was unsupported, sound didn't work at all...

This has happened to many times to count. It's a widespread issue too.

Melchiah

The Playstation website says this now for PS+ in the features list:

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-plus/

Awesome stealth update.

zhJQGIfl.jpg

EDIT: Or is that just PS4, PS3 and Vita combined? =/

JP

If people are uploading more it is of course possible that they've just changed the way they share it and it's actually 3GB across which ever platform you need it for. I'm not sure exactly how they'd work that out tough because if somebody only owned a PS4 they could borrow a PS3 and Vita, log into their account on those and get an extra 2GB.

Ogawa-san

Barely related to PS+ storage space and probably to 2.50 as well, but trying to find how much I have left just now I realized Olli Olli 2 is the first game I saw with a save smaller than 10MB, being at 3MB-ish.

Everything being at least 10MB is why we're out of space in the first place, so fixing that would probably help more than tripling the space.

JP

Barely related to PS+ storage space and probably to 2.50 as well, but trying to find how much I have left just now I realized Olli Olli 2 is the first game I saw with a save smaller than 10MB, being at 3MB-ish.

Everything being at least 10MB is why we're out of space in the first place, so fixing that would probably help more than tripling the space.
That changed a while back, I created a thread at the time as (from memory) 3.3Mb was the smallest file and some of the older 10.4MB saves shrunk in size to the new size.

besenwesen

Neo Member
I just noticed that my full size download of Bloodborne (20-something GB) is listed in the download list, while the initial download is already finished since yesterday and the game is playable.
Has it always been like this or is this new?

Audette

Hey just looking through my ps4 and vita, Are there any options in relation to the 60fps remote play? Looked through the menus on both and saw nothing.

Anybody know if there are prerequisites? Like does it work automatically to get 60fps? Does it just use the best fps possible? Does work only direct from ps4 or will it also work over wifi in and out of the house? Does it work on vita tv?

Danlord

Hey just looking through my ps4 and vita, Are there any options in relation to the 60fps remote play? Looked through the menus on both and saw nothing.

Anybody know if there are prerequisites? Like does it work automatically to get 60fps? Does it just use the best fps possible? Does work only direct from ps4 or will it also work over wifi in and out of the house? Does it work on vita tv?

As far as I'm aware there's no settings it just works. I tried it out myself quickly playing on Resogun and it was super smooth. I'm very impressed with it.

TP-DK

I just noticed that my full size download of Bloodborne (20-something GB) is listed in the download list, while the initial download is already finished since yesterday and the game is playable.
Has it always been like this or is this new?

Its new. Good thing its added so you have the option to pause it.

I like the What's New notifications that take you to the feature to enable it. Smart. Xbox has done this for a while so it's nice to see something similar on PS4.

So the Store icon sits to the left when turning the console on, that's good.

Every time we get an update I put in a PS1 disc, just to see if the PS4 recognizes it (not expecting it to play or anything)... still dissapointed in that.

Is there a way to turn off starting at What's New? I would rather it start at the last used application/game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdLhZT2CM2Q - Did a quick video showcasing the Suspend/Resume from my point of view. DmC is *ridiculously* fast to load up. Under a second and you're back in the game!
I'm going to put a damper on your excitement. When you suspend, it takes a little bit for it to fully in suspended mode.

The instant you suspend it can take up 90 seconds (lowest I've noticed is 40s) until it's in its final low powered state.

Edit: What this means that demonstrations of the feature will make it look faster than it actually is in a real world scenario.
(To me it's fast enough because I see gameplay the moment my TV wakes up via HDMI-CEC so for my use case faster wouldn't be required.)

Krakn3Dfx

Anyone else have an issue where you go into rest/suspend, walk away, and come back 10-15 minutes later and the PS4 is turned on again at the profile login screen? Suspending Bloodborne if that helps.

androvsky

Every time we get an update I put in a PS1 disc, just to see if the PS4 recognizes it (not expecting it to play or anything)... still dissapointed in that.
I do that too, wondered if I was the only one. Didn't have time this morning, guess I'll try a music CD tonight.

I did check the browser on html5test.com, still no audio codecs.

winstano

I'm going to put a damper on your excitement. When you suspend, it takes a little bit for it to fully in suspended mode.

The instant you suspend it can take up 90 seconds (lowest I've noticed is 40s) until it's in its final low powered state.

Edit: What this means that demonstrations of the feature will make it look faster than it actually is in a real world scenario.
(To me it's fast enough because I see gameplay the moment my TV wakes up via HDMI-CEC so for my use case faster wouldn't be required.)

I left it alone for a couple of minutes for the second one, but it would make sense. The cap card I use stops getting footage immediately when the signal drops and pauses recording, hence the almost immediate start/stop nature of it

For those wondering there is an option to select high video quality during remote play on the vita. I havnt tried it just yet but without selecting this it still felt 30fps

Image quality improved but the frame rate is still unsettled, this option may have always been there for all I know, direct connection for what it's worth

huffster999

Neo Member
I thought Text to speech was coming in this update.Can't find it in Accesibility settings.Saw
a screenshot where it was above the zoom option but it isn't there for me

Is there a way to turn off starting at What's New? I would rather it start at the last used application/game.

AFAIK the PS4 drive hardware is literally not capable of reading CD-ROMS. PS1 discs and audio CDs will never be supported.

Mailbox

For those wondering there is an option to select high video quality during remote play on the vita. I havnt tried it just yet but without selecting this it still felt 30fps

Image quality improved but the frame rate is still unsettled, this option may have always been there for all I know, direct connection for what it's worth

The high video quality option suspends game recording and enables 60fps.

androvsky

AFAIK the PS4 drive hardware is literally not capable of reading CD-ROMS. PS1 discs and audio CDs will never be supported.
I looked into it, DVD drives without a CD frequency laser can still read CDs. Because the DVD drive has to adjust focus for dual layers it can handle the different disc thickness, and the shorter wavelength is simply easier to focus into the larger CD data pits. The only things you actually need the CD laser for are recordable discs, since those use color dyes instead of physical pits, so color (aka frequency) is important.

Early PC DVD drives only had the one laser and could read pressed CDs just fine. Sony would have had to go to some effort to make a drive that purposefully couldn't read CDs.

Darksol

Played Bloodborne, put my PS4 into rest mode with the app suspended. Got to work, pulled out my Vita, woke my PS4 out of rest mode, resumed Bloodborne in the exact same location.

:D

I looked into it, DVD drives without a CD frequency laser can still read CDs. Because the DVD drive has to adjust focus for dual layers it can handle the different disc thickness, and the shorter wavelength is simply easier to focus into the larger CD data pits. The only things you actually need the CD laser for are recordable discs, since those use color dyes instead of physical pits, so color (aka frequency) is important.

Early PC DVD drives only had the one laser and could read pressed CDs just fine. Sony would have had to go to some effort to make a drive that purposefully couldn't read CDs.

I thought it was that they didn't pay for the CD license?

Both of those could be right, I won't profess to know much more about it. I just got the impression from how they worded the situation at launch that we'll never get CD support.

It's because the speeds are so slow you need that extra decimal to see the progress now

Haha, ouch.
I did a speed test immediately after installing the update, and my old DL never broke 24Mb or so(on my 50Mb line), and it tested at 31Mb right off the bat today. So maybe there was a slight improvement with this firmware. We can only hope.

Top Bottom