• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can anyone tell us if LockonStratos is alive? I'm assuming he's ok given that he hasn't come back onto GAF to rage. :)

fritolay

The PS4 is OS is definitely quirky. This will not be easy for some people. To go online you have to have PSN account for multiplayer, and it would not let me skip the step to enter a credit card. I reluctantly gave them mine but think that is crap if they force this, and not all families will have one.

It is not always clear if a game is installed all the way, if a download needed is download and installed, or just downloaded. Sometimes you have to start a game to install the update it seems.

For anyone having problems playing COD ghosts multiplayer...

New PS4, COD ghosts first game to insert into console.

Game installed. Prompted for download update. Already had another game downloading.

Went back to home screen since game had a download.

Tried to play game again, when hitting multiplayer, game just froze.

Next went to downloads, multiplayer update was not there. I then deleted the game from PS4, put disk back in. Then clicked on multiplayer and it prompted for download.

Went back to home screen and waited for multiplayer updated to confirm it downloaded.

Clicked on COD again. Multiplayer would not load. Went to home screen.

At this point I realized I was switched between game and home screen, game never exited. Started another application and PS4 said it would close COD ghosts.

Then I opened COD again, which this time meant it was loading the game up again, and this time it said it was updating the game install. Clicked on multiplayer and it worked.

TimFL

I think my issue is the HDD. I thought the disc tray was spinning but then i realize that its probably the HDD.

IF the HDD starts spinning and stops over and over again every 3 seconds, is it defective?

This happened to my PC HDD. It was related to the power plug the HDD used (loose contact/broken cable, I exchanged it and it worked ever since). Try and see if your HDD is plugged in correctly?

Kovet

This happened to my PC HDD. It was related to the power plug the HDD used (loose contact/broken cable, I exchanged it and it worked ever since). Try and see if your HDD is plugged in correctly?

i took it 30 minutes ago and it seemed to be in place and everything was alright.

problem is the ps4 was working fine last night, i turned it off for 20 minutes, came back turned it on and got the bf4 corruption error. Now there is a large high pitched sound which i think is the HDD and it starts up and stops every 3 seconds.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
My PS4 is defective as well. It's heading back to Amazon on Monday, and they don't have replacement units available and don't know when more will be in stock. At least I got a full refund on the unit and got most of my extended warranty through SquareTrade refunded.

Ordered from Amazon, manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai Sep. 2013, and shipped at the bottom of a box filled with air packets laid on top of the PS4 box with none underneath. Pretty common story, it seems.

Hooked it up to a receiver via HDMI, didn't use optical, and internet through Ethernet cable. Out of the box it worked fine at first, so after getting some things downloading, I put the unit into standby mode. Later, when I tried to wake it, it refused to respond to any input from the DS4 or the power button and stayed in standby. It was still pretty hot out the back of the unit. I did a ton of research at that point, because I was deathly afraid of unplugging it while it was on, and couldn't find any way to reset the unit without pulling the plug.

The thing that is odd to me is that there doesn't seem to be a hard reset button (one of those tiny buttons that you need something really thin to press) on the unit like there are on routers, but there is one on the controller (underside of the controller, by the screw beside the L1/L2 buttons). With how they go out of their way to warn you about not pulling the power cord while it is on, it is baffling that they did not include a reset button on the unit itself, and if they did, it is baffling that they don't highlight it in the included documentation.

It worked after that for about an hour until it just crashed dead. It wouldn't launch at all normally, and it would only successfully boot into safe mode about 1/3 of the times I tried to start it. If I reset the system, it would start up into the OS and run for about an hour until it crashed again. It would make sense that this would be a heating issue, but I never got a red light. I also never heard the fans get loud like some have mentioned, so maybe there was a malfunctioning sensor in my unit that didn't read the temp and then signal the fans to go to a higher RPM?

I tried all of the options in the Safe Menu at least once, and none of them resolved the issue.

So my unit CAN function for a limited period of time if it is reset through Safe Mode, but I have to unplug and restart the unit 2-4 times to get it to reach Safe Mode properly. It crashes after an undetermined period of time. Oh, and the rumble in my controller is so weak that it went unnoticed for quite some time, and when it rumbles, it only sends out two or three "shocks" every second, and each one is barely detectable. Orders of magnitude less powerful than the rumble in the Wii U gamepad.

So the unit is clearly defective, and since my case seemed to be somewhat unique, I hope that I provided enough detail.

cilonen

Pretty sure a bunch of triple-beeps when the system was shut down totally (not standby) 5-10 minutes later are not normal

Edit: I just unplugged the USB cable 20 minutes after powering down and it started beeping like crazy.

Maybe the controller being plugged into USB is causing issues? Just a thought

Isn't it supposed to be able to charge the controllers through USB when it's off (unlike PS3). I think I read that somewhere.

TimFL

i took it 30 minutes ago and it seemed to be in place and everything was alright.

problem is the ps4 was working fine last night, i turned it off for 20 minutes, came back turned it on and got the bf4 corruption error. Now there is a large high pitched sound which i think is the HDD and it starts up and stops every 3 seconds.

If it was your HDD that stopped every 3 seconds your whole system would lock up/become unresponsive. Are you sure it's your HDD?

Kovet

If it was your HDD that stopped every 3 seconds your whole system would lock up/become unresponsive. Are you sure it's your HDD?

Im not to sure i just dont think the disc tray could be doing it, its possible but can the disc tray produce a large high pitched sound?

Edit: also bf4 cant download past 30% and ive deleted it and tried reinstalling a few times. it says campaign is 100% loaded but the second mission just sits a please wait....loading screen for ever

Smidget

Once in a while my PS4 sounds like it is powering down or maybe the fan cuts power. Does that sound normal? Just kinda a power shutting down type noise. Paranoid since it's my second one...

The PS4 is OS is definitely quirky. This will not be easy for some people. To go online you have to have PSN account for multiplayer, and it would not let me skip the step to enter a credit card. I reluctantly gave them mine but think that is crap if they force this, and not all families will have one.

It is not always clear if a game is installed all the way, if a download needed is download and installed, or just downloaded. Sometimes you have to start a game to install the update it seems.

For anyone having problems playing COD ghosts multiplayer...

New PS4, COD ghosts first game to insert into console.

Game installed. Prompted for download update. Already had another game downloading.

Went back to home screen since game had a download.

Tried to play game again, when hitting multiplayer, game just froze.

Next went to downloads, multiplayer update was not there. I then deleted the game from PS4, put disk back in. Then clicked on multiplayer and it prompted for download.

Went back to home screen and waited for multiplayer updated to confirm it downloaded.

Clicked on COD again. Multiplayer would not load. Went to home screen.

At this point I realized I was switched between game and home screen, game never exited. Started another application and PS4 said it would close COD ghosts.

Then I opened COD again, which this time meant it was loading the game up again, and this time it said it was updating the game install. Clicked on multiplayer and it worked.

find the game icon in the xmb, click options, click close app

confused me at first too. but its simple after that

let the download finish then re-open it. voila

DMeisterJ

Banned
PSN is still kinda down, yeah?

Cause I can go on the PS Store or see friends and stuff, but it won't load the what's new section or game specific overviews for some reason.

TimFL

Im not to sure i just dont think the disc tray could be doing it, its possible but can the disc tray produce a large high pitched sound?

Edit: also bf4 cant download past 30% and ive deleted it and tried reinstalling a few times. it says campaign is 100% loaded but the second mission just sits a please wait....loading screen for ever

I'm not sure, could be. I take it it's also worth checking the fans? My old GPU had high pitched noises coming from its fan too.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I love that the live assistance chat keeps dropping connection.

Gives me something to keep trying at until I can get through on the phone

asdad123

How do I get it to work with remote play over wifi? I had remote play working yesterday when I was at home and it worked great.

Just to mess around I wanted to try it at my girlfriends house to see how it'd work, but it can't find the PS4. The ps4 is on stand by at home (orange light).

Is it cause I had both the boxes checked in the PS4 settings? (remote play over wifi as well as direct connection). Will the remote play from a different location only work if one of the boxes is checked?

I received my PS4 from Amazon. The HDD was dead. Initially I was able to get into safe mode but I had a hard time getting the system to read my USB drives. When the PS4 finally read the drive it would fail upon restart. I tried to re-initialize the console and install the firmware, but eventually the HDD just kept clicking and the system ceased to even start into safe mode. I would just get an error code saying that the storage couldn't be read.

I went out and bought a 1TB hard drive and I was easily able to get everything up and running.

jrock

mine was from the death camp made in Aug but works fine so far.
Had trouble with downloading the 1.5 file so used a usb stick for that. Used the HDMI cable that came with it. After ward played NBA and killzone about an hour each and downloaded resogun and contrast. no problems at all.
I guess i lucked out, if it is a real problem at least we have a year to figure it out.

gazele

Banned
Sent mine back to amazon, free shipping at least, hopefully get the refund sometime this week, not sure if I should try to find another one tomorrow or just wait a week at least

Saberus

Mine won't go into standby mode anymore.. just flashing white light.. only thing I can do is hold the power button for few seconds till it powers off then reboot, was fine last night :( also I can get any data from the whats new icon anymore?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mine won't go into standby mode anymore.. just flashing white light.. only thing I can do is hold the power button for few seconds till it powers off then reboot, was fine last night :( also I can get any data from the whats new icon anymore?

What's New is down due to PSN issues.

kurahadol

Anyone have issues with bringing up the summary page of games? It's weird, we were getting the BF4 error, so we backed out, deleted BF4, went to download it again, and when it tries to bring up the overview page it snaps right back to the XMB. It does this with games I currently have installed too, just snaps right to the XMB without letting me see the overview page.

Tonguer

Pretty sure a bunch of triple-beeps when the system was shut down totally (not standby) 5-10 minutes later are not normal

Edit: I just unplugged the USB cable 20 minutes after powering down and it started beeping like crazy.

Maybe the controller being plugged into USB is causing issues? Just a thought

Yep, mine has been doing the same thing, repeating the triple beeps along with the constantly-ejecting-disc-syndrome. I did have the controller plugged in to usb charging, but I don't buy that as a cause or an issue, system should support charging controllers and accepting discs simultaneously.

My PS4 is defective as well. It's heading back to Amazon on Monday, and they don't have replacement units available and don't know when more will be in stock. At least I got a full refund on the unit and got most of my extended warranty through SquareTrade refunded.

Ordered from Amazon, manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai Sep. 2013, and shipped at the bottom of a box filled with air packets laid on top of the PS4 box with none underneath. Pretty common story, it seems.

Same story here, except for the extended warranty bit (I didn't include that in my order). Just got my RMA and refund email from Amazon. I called and explained I have a defective unit; they can't replace because they have no stock, so they did a full return with shipping. I'm pretty disappointed, but I was calm and polite, and at the end of the call, the gal thanked me for being so nice and so understanding, specifically saying I was the ONLY customer that had been polite calling in about a PS4. That implies two things: one, maybe there are lots of issues, and two, people are generally assholes.

Say what you want about Amazon, they've always been pretty good to me - definitely better overall than other retailers. I also won't hold it against them if they got a stock of bad systems from manufacturing. (The shipping issue stories are awful if accurate, but I've never had an issue there myself).

So... sigh... who has some PS4s in stock? (lol)

Got ps4 in nyc at the hotel party.. finally opened it up set everything up.. Go to psn store try to download netflix system turned off and thats that cant turn on.. When i press the power button the blue light flashes for 1 second and goes right back off.. Sony is sending a coffin

atomsk

Party Pooper
Yep, mine has been doing the same thing, repeating the triple beeps along with the constantly-ejecting-disc-syndrome. I did have the controller plugged in to usb charging, but I don't buy that as a cause or an issue, system should support charging controllers and accepting discs simultaneously.

Live chat suggested a full restore with USB firmware, so I just got done doing that.

I'd rather have Sony replace it rather than Amazon because maybe Sony will actually ship the thing properly? Maybe wishful thinking.

In any case, I'm watching Die Hard yet again, waiting to see if it'll spit the disc out.

edit: didn't do anything past the initial setup, just to make sure things are as close to stock as possible

I have one of the Amazon Hongfujin Yantai units manufactured in August and I haven't been having any hardware issues so far. It does feel a bit warmer than I'd like while playing but I was on it for most of the day today and only experienced notification weirdness and an OS freeze. Both of those problems may have been PSN related though.

The system looks really great and solidly built in person. It's probably my favorite of all of Sony's console designs so it's be really disappointing if it turns out the systems have inherent issues with them.

MAiKU

Neo Member
Live chat suggested a full restore with USB firmware, so I just got done doing that.

I'd rather have Sony replace it rather than Amazon because maybe Sony will actually ship the thing properly? Maybe wishful thinking.

In any case, I'm watching Die Hard yet again, waiting to see if it'll spit the disc out.

Its not wishful thinking, SONY chooses FedEx because of the UPS stuff and reports that come in more frequently about them.

I had talked to a really nice customer service agent, we tried a few things that were similar to the stuff i tried on my own but we came to the conclusion that it needed to be serviced.

I don't think Sony will replace your system, they told me they will "fix it" ASAP and get it back to me as fast as they can.

If they replace it, new system with new model code, then it was just repairable. But you were right now to let amazon replace it. They don't have any in stock right now and i doubt they could get any soon.

If you got the bundle they want everything back, all the manuals and the game and the 10 buck credit.

All Sony wants is the system.

I have a friend whose PS4 is making a lot of clicking noises as what it sounds like the disc drive is spinning upon boot up. Lasts for like a minute off and on. Any suggestions?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So far so good my new PS4 is working.

KPUhyG1.png

Manufacturing date and place pls

Spoke with my friend again and he said he was watching Netflix and the PS4 crashed and then took a long time to startup the next time as it went through a check after an improper shut down. Weird.

I haven't really encountered any problems, but I do have a question.
When I turn on my PS4, the boot up screen is green for just a second or two.

Has anyone else seen this? I think it's fine I just want to make sure it's not an early sign of a hardware failure or something.

Blackage

So I somehow got back into safe mode(At this point I'm just like messing with it randomly if I get bored. :p)

It's like every 1/5 times holding down the button I can get into safe mode. The other 4/5 of the time it doesn't go into safe mode, and it simply cuts off after it beeps again.

Anyway, I got in, I did an option 6 to Initialize, because for some reason if I do an option 7 it doesn't detect my USB, then I did a option 5 to rebuild the database.....annnnnd it cut on.

Now here's the screwy part, after I was on, I unplugged the usb & controller usb cord, when I unplugged them I got static on my TV. I tried to redownload stuff from PSN Store, but it just went back to the home screen, so I turned off the system, and tried to turn it on normally again and it's back to blue light of death. :p

I have NO idea wtf is going on.

Before I hit post I tested it again:

Held power until I hit safe mode, did a 6 to Initialize, then a 5 to rebuild database, got to the PS4 initial set-up screen, except this time my PS4 just cut off in the middle of this, like it lost power, went black. Turned it back on again, blue light of death.

Wereroku

I haven't really encountered any problems, but I do have a question.
When I turn on my PS4, the boot up screen is green for just a second or two.

Has anyone else seen this? I think it's fine I just want to make sure it's not an early sign of a hardware failure or something.

That sounds like a syncing problem may be the hdmi cord or port you are using.

Unrelated to any PS4 issues but I got the shock of my life when my PS3 froze playing GTA V. Had to unplug at the back, came back on and rebuilt its database. Heart completely in mouth.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Is it me or do a lot of the problems seem like they could be HDD related?

What HDDs are in the PS4 and is there any trend there?

I just find it hard to believe that there is a systemic design issue since the RLOD fiasco, but glitchy software and bad HDDs is something I could imagine.

Top Bottom