• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

NyMartin

Banned
is anyone's internet connection from ps4 very slow? I have fios and i use it in the same room as the router but my PS4's connection is rather slow.

Also can someone tell me how to revert from full name display back to PSN ID?
I wanted to try full name but now I dont want to anymore.

I'm starting to think some of these hard locks are happening to people because of buggy ass software. BF4 and Warframe seem to be the most common culprits it seems.

I've had absolutely no problems but I've been playing it safe. I've also been careful with game installs. When I put in a disc for the first time, I let it install completely before I begin playing. You can tell it's done because the console has a slight vibration when touching it while it's spinning a disc.

Schrade

Gonna post this since it may be a good "preventative" process. It certainly shouldn't hurt peoples' systems...

I got my PS4 yesterday from Amazon. I didn't manhandle it or anything when unboxing it. I didn't toss things together to hook it up superfast to my TV and receiver. I did things slow, methodical and made certain to plug things in gently as I would with ANY other new piece of equipment. In so many of the videos and streams I see people manhandling and utterly forcing things into place and it drove me nuts. #1 thing to remember when setting up a new system, computer, anything: Treat it like it's expensive equipment and not a fucking baby toy.

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER move the system when it has any power to it whatsoever. When hard drives are spinning it's very easy to damage a platter in the drive if you "shock" it in any way. This goes for laptops and computers as well. Laptop drives are built to be a little more stable with this but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, here's the steps I did just to experience things and understand how the update process works. My plan here was to format the PS4 hard drive and do a full OS reinstall in case the hard drives had been mass imaged and weren't really set up per system.

1) Examined the HDMI port to see if there was anything off or any obstructions in it. It was perfectly fine.

2) Hooked the PS4 up to my audio receiver with my own HDMI cable that was attached to my PS3 previously (cheapie 12 foot $4.00 cable from Fry's Electronics I bought years ago)

3) Plugged in my controller using the USB cable that shipped with the PS4. I plugged it into the LEFT USB port, although it doesn't really matter which port you plug it into.

4) Did NOT hook up my ethernet cable. I didn't want it connecting anywhere or doing anything until I was certain I had a "clean" system that I had set up myself.

5) First time bootup -> Powered it on just by lightly touching the capacitive power button on the front of the system. There is no need to apply any pressure at all so don't try forcing it to move. It doesn't move. I listened for appropriate noises (Bluray Drive doing a head seek, hard drive spinning up, fans working - felt for warm air flowing) and let the system boot up.

6) System booted up fine and went into the PS4 OS Setup. I skipped everything and did not customize anything or let it connect wirelessly anywhere. I just wanted to get INTO the OS. I think the only thing I did was adjust time and Time Zone.

7) Once in the OS I held the PlayStation button down on the DS4 and turned the system OFF (Did NOT put it into standby mode). It takes a little bit to shutdown completely but you'll know once all the lights are off on the system.

8) Time to update the firmware. I had already downloaded both the 1.50 firmware "Update" and the "Recovery" (859MB) files so I freshly formatted a cheap USB drive with FAT32 and set up the folders appropriately. X:\PS4\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.PUP <-- like that. I decided to do the Recovery method since it involves formatting the drive and I wanted that for sure.

9) I inserted my USB drive into the COMPLETELY OFF system and then I touched and held on the power button for over 7 seconds UNTIL IT BEEPED. Once it beeped I let go of the power button. The system went into Safe Mode.

PS4 Safe Mode: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

10) I chose option 6) Initialize PS4. My reasoning here is to wipe the HD while in Firmware 1.0 so I am absolutely certain it's clean before I attempt to update it. I then booted into the OS again and did minimal setup, skipping over account stuff and network setups until I got into the UI. I once again had the system turn completely off and not enter standby mode.

11) Once the system was completely shutdown I waited like about 10 seconds when all the lights were off and touch and held the power button again for 7 seconds until it beeped. It went into Safe Mode again and I chose Option 7) Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software). I then got the following error:

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

I didn't panic and calmly tried another USB drive. It was a Corsair USB drive (one of my most compatible flash drives for booting PCs and stuff) and it worked just fine. So REMEMBER: If you get that error above, just try a different USB drive that you know is brand-name. Mine was a Corsair.

12) I then went through the process with step 7 from Safe Mode and it worked this time. It spent time wiping/reformatting the hard drive and then it gave a new screw (higher resolution and with PS4 colors) and on that screen it said it was reinstalling the system software.

13) When it was done, I did the final setup on my PS4 and it has worked like an absolute champ with no system related issues at all. Any issues I've had have been due to PSN being hammered.

Now, this is not going to fix everyone's problems but it is a good way to test the system and set it up so that you KNOW you have done everything right from the beginning. I've got 30 years of experience working with computers and electronics and this is just a general process I feel should work well for folks who are just wanting to be sure they setup their PS4 in the most "stable" manner. I live this shit every day since it's my hobby and also what I do at work.

I'm starting to think some of these hard locks are happening to people because of buggy ass software. BF4 and Warframe seem to be the most common culprits it seems.

My PS4 freaked out and shut itself while idling on the menu. I had not yet played a game. Could still be software related since I had downloaded the 1.5 update.

TimFL

Gonna post this since it may be a good "preventative" process. It certainly shouldn't hurt peoples' systems...

I got my PS4 yesterday from Amazon. I didn't manhandle it or anything when unboxing it. I didn't toss things together to hook it up superfast to my TV and receiver. I did things slow, methodical and made certain to plug things in gently as I would with ANY other new piece of equipment. In so many of the videos and streams I see people manhandling and utterly forcing things into place and it drove me nuts. #1 thing to remember when setting up a new system, computer, anything: Treat it like it's expensive equipment and not a fucking baby toy.

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER move the system when it has any power to it whatsoever. When hard drives are spinning it's very easy to damage a platter in the drive if you "shock" it in any way. This goes for laptops and computers as well. Laptop drives are built to be a little more stable with this but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, here's the steps I did just to experience things and understand how the update process works. My plan here was to format the PS4 hard drive and do a full OS reinstall in case the hard drives had been mass imaged and weren't really set up per system.

1) Examined the HDMI port to see if there was anything off or any obstructions in it. It was perfectly fine.

2) Hooked the PS4 up to my audio receiver with my own HDMI cable that was attached to my PS3 previously (cheapie 12 foot $4.00 cable from Fry's Electronics I bought years ago)

3) Plugged in my controller using the USB cable that shipped with the PS4. I plugged it into the LEFT USB port, although it doesn't really matter which port you plug it into.

4) Did NOT hook up my ethernet cable. I didn't want it connecting anywhere or doing anything until I was certain I had a "clean" system that I had set up myself.

5) First time bootup -> Powered it on just by lightly touching the capacitive power button on the front of the system. There is no need to apply any pressure at all so don't try forcing it to move. It doesn't move. I listened for appropriate noises (Bluray Drive doing a head seek, hard drive spinning up, fans working - felt for warm air flowing) and let the system boot up.

6) System booted up fine and went into the PS4 OS Setup. I skipped everything and did not customize anything or let it connect wirelessly anywhere. I just wanted to get INTO the OS. I think the only thing I did was adjust time and Time Zone.

7) Once in the OS I held the PlayStation button down on the DS4 and turned the system OFF (Did NOT put it into standby mode). It takes a little bit to shutdown completely but you'll know once all the lights are off on the system.

8) Time to update the firmware. I had already downloaded both the 1.50 firmware "Update" and the "Recovery" (859MB) files so I freshly formatted a cheap USB drive with FAT32 and set up the folders appropriately. X:\PS4\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.PUP <-- like that. I decided to do the Recovery method since it involves formatting the drive and I wanted that for sure.

9) I inserted my USB drive into the COMPLETELY OFF system and then I touched and held on the power button for over 7 seconds UNTIL IT BEEPED. Once it beeped I let go of the power button. The system went into Safe Mode.

PS4 Safe Mode: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

10) I chose option 6) Initialize PS4. My reasoning here is to wipe the HD while in Firmware 1.0 so I am absolutely certain it's clean before I attempt to update it. I then booted into the OS again and did minimal setup, skipping over account stuff and network setups until I got into the UI. I once again had the system turn completely off and not enter standby mode.

11) Once the system was completely shutdown I waited like about 10 seconds when all the lights were off and touch and held the power button again for 7 seconds until it beeped. It went into Safe Mode again and I chose Option 7) Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software). I then got the following error:

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

I didn't panic and calmly tried another USB drive. It was a Corsair USB drive (one of my most compatible flash drives for booting PCs and stuff) and it worked just fine. So REMEMBER: If you get that error above, just try a different USB drive that you know is brand-name. Mine was a Corsair.

12) I then went through the process with step 7 from Safe Mode and it worked this time. It spent time wiping/reformatting the hard drive and then it gave a new screw (higher resolution and with PS4 colors) and on that screen it said it was reinstalling the system software.

13) When it was done, I did the final setup on my PS4 and it has worked like an absolute champ with no system related issues at all. Any issues I've had have been due to PSN being hammered.

Now, this is not going to fix everyone's problems but it is a good way to test the system and set it up so that you KNOW you have done everything right from the beginning. I've got 30 years of experience working with computers and electronics and this is just a general process I feel should work well for folks who are just wanting to be sure they setup their PS4 in the most "stable" manner. I live this shit every day since it's my hobby and also what I do at work.

I will do the same once I get my PS4 in 2 weeks. I remember having a lot of hardlocks on my PS3 back in the days (launch day) until I did a "clean install".

I don't see how people could label it as "bullshit" just like that, it would make a lot of sense given how many consoles are DOA.

At least someone tell me that this isn't a 4chan troll. What are people using to debunk this Foxconn story about employees revolting by assembling bad PS4s? Honestly just want clarification.

ckeur

As a counterbalance My unit is also Hongfujin Yantai, Sep 2013 and I am not having any hardware problems. PSN is on fire and BF4 crashes all the time and corrupts it's save file, but so far the hardware is fine.

The post did say that most August units were defective, but not all September units. That post has no sources, so I won't give it much credence. Just attributing my data to it.

Anyone's disc drive sound like an rc car from time to time? I think it's the disc starting to spin up. It's just for a second, but sometimes when I boot a game, the cd drive whirr a liken rc car... Everything runs fine tho... Just wondering if this was common

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So apparently someone on IGN said they fixed the pulsating blue light by removing the HDD, turning on the system and then putting it back in. Anyone try this?

Diablos

is anyone's internet connection from ps4 very slow? I have fios and i use it in the same room as the router but my PS4's connection is rather slow.

Also can someone tell me how to revert from full name display back to PSN ID?
I wanted to try full name but now I dont want to anymore.
PSN is likely getting hammered, people are having problems with everything from download speeds to social features.

Does this one work? Has the rage been subdued? :p
I got a two hour drive back to my home town..Round 2 coming up.

WuH3Ft2.png

Just got back from Americana. They swapped out my defective unit and gave me a new one. Tried to get a free game but no dice.

Got a PS4 shirt though. Lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just got back from Americana. They swapped out my defective unit and gave me a new one. Tried to get a free game but no dice.

Got a PS4 shirt though. Lol.

You can use it to Towel Trick your PS4 if it fails again.

Has anyone tried the Towel Trick?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

If the USB drive doesn't work you can just format it. Mine was formatted NTFS and I reformatted it FAT32 and it stopped getting the "USB storage device is not connected" error.

Manp

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

a 13 steps checklist to install a new console? remember people, stay calm and be methodical! lol if you treat your PS4 like a baby panda the gods of electronics will be benevolent with you.

atomsk

Party Pooper
To update on my auto-eject situation, I changed where the PS4 was plugged into, and wiped down the button with a microfiber cloth.

Just finished playing an entire blu-ray movie without incident.

System is horizontal.

So apparently someone on IGN said they fixed the pulsating blue light by removing the HDD, turning on the system and then putting it back in. Anyone try this?

I tried this yesterday, didn't do shit. I don't even think the hard drive spun up at all when it was inserted.

Surprised you did not try it in the store. Given the four hour drive.

Seriously. Someone likes to live dangerously.

Athreous

Do you guys know any good worldwide extended warranty service?

I had to import my ps4 from Amazon, but now i'm afraid of it >_<

Colbert

Banned
Can someone give me a definite source for why that Foxconn story is "bullshit"? It sounds pretty important if true. Maybe a new thread to disprove it?

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/f...e-bad-ps4-consoles-thee-months-ago.453522435/

Many consoles that were reported as broken in this special thread were manufactured in August and September 2013. That doesn't fit exactly to the statements from the IGN thread. So there is a chance that the rumor is probably not true. Unfortunately I am not able to read chinese there is still a chance that the translation is wrong.

Top Bottom