• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

fade_

Mine works fine and it was manufactured at Hongfujin Yantai, Sep 2013 and bought from Amazon. This tread is freaking me out though. I was hoping that mine was not from that plant and that month.

I wouldn't worry regarding plant. I haven't even seen a different one on this thread...has there been a different plant? I've seen a few August dates that were both working and broken.

two-bit bot

Neo Member
Mine works fine and it was manufactured at Hongfujin Yantai, Sep 2013 and bought from Amazon. This tread is freaking me out though. I was hoping that mine was not from that plant and that month.

My PS4 was manufactured at Hongfujin Yantai (Sep. 2013) and I don't have any issues, either. Working flawlessly.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just enjoy it.

After about 2 hours of playing my new PS4 I got from the Sony Store for replacing my BLOD PS4..It's still working like a champ. Played a match of BF4...My god it's like a whole different game @_@....Downloading AC4 DLC and then I'm gonna cut it off for about 30 mins.

djshauny

Banned
After about 2 hours of playing my new PS4 I got from the Sony Store for replacing my BLOD PS4..It's still working like a champ. Played a match of BF4...My god it's like a whole different game @_@....Downloading AC4 DLC and then I'm gonna cut it off for about 30 mins.

Glad its working for you :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya - hope the work with Sony support clears it up and there's never another issue, smooth sailing...

The running theory in my head now (since the movie is still playing), is that maybe the system being so dependent on PSN and PSN fucking up so bad right now, is causing unforeseen issues

Probably a pie in the sky theory, but the system is stock and not logged in, and the disc is still playing.

What is the manufacturing details on this one.

And congrats man, so far so good.

gazele

Banned

congrats dude

KPUhyG1.png

Manufacturing date and place pls

Same place as the last one (forgot the name starts with a Y) September 2013.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I think you're good. My PS4 has been on all day and its ok. :)

Tetra-9

I've got a Yantai, September console and it has been running smoothly
thus far. I had one freeze on the Warframe install, strangely it was after pressing circle while it was installing.

I've probably had the console on for 20+ hours and just had a completely successful 8 hour gaming/Netflix session. Hopefully it stays that way but I'm not too worried. Actually I've just been thinking how nice it is that Sony ade a system that can play Crackle at an enjoyable speed.

Schrade

If the USB drive doesn't work you can just format it. Mine was formatted NTFS and I reformatted it FAT32 and it stopped getting the "USB storage device is not connected" error.

Nope. I did that before I even put the firmware on it. Remember, I know stuff and know enough to check the filesystem of the USB drive.

Amazon just got back to me about my pissed off email for telling me they won't do my exchange. Now they're saying they'll do it, but it "may" take several business days. We'll see how it goes. Surely still faster than sending it to Sony. The only concern is getting another broken one.

The adventure continues.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Got all the way through Die Hard

Turned the system off (not standby, totally off)

5 minutes later... THE BEEPING BEGINS

edit: just noticed I accidentally filmed in portrait, I HAVE BROUGHT SHAME UPON MY FAMILY

Athreous

Hmm, since I had to import my ps4 from amazon ( I live in Brazil), as soon as it arrives (by nov 21th), i'll test every app, every game that I bought and I'll try to update it to play online...

If something goes wrong, Will I be able to send it back to amazon for a fix/replacement/refund? Cuz it my console comes DoA, I'm planning to wait till a new wave of PS4s are released, without that kind of issue >_<

I had 3 xbox 360 that got rrod in less than 2 years, 1st wave, 2nd wave and 3rd wave (it was falcon I think on 3rd), so i'm really worried this time >_<

Y2Kev

This is bullshit with vomit on top. The PS4 is restricted on Amazon because it is supply constrained. They are not letting people scalp them through Amazon. It was like this last week. And FFS there is no way that Sony is halting production the day after the launch. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Especially if they are in the process (or have already) fixed the issue in mfg, lol.

Do people legit go to sites like N4G or Gotgame? don't you just come to neogaf for news?

Vaco6121

If this has any sort of validity it could be DEVASTATING for Sony.. I hope its BS, because they would be forced to recall a lot of hardware, and probably have to push back launch in EU/Asia..

It wouldn't be that devastating to Sony, not to say it wouldn't, as it would to Foxconn. I would love to see the how the contract was written between the two as usually a failing quality would be quite a hefty fine in a situation like this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is bullshit with vomit on top. The PS4 is restricted on Amazon because it is supply constrained. They are not letting people scalp them through Amazon. It was like this last week. And FFS there is no way that Sony is halting production the day after the launch. That makes no sense whatsoever.

This is exactly what happened with the original 3DS when Amazon was getting a ton of returns due to screen scratching.

According to a NeoGAF thread, Amazon Customer Support reports that Sony has halted production on the system until they can address the issues arising with the sold units. Amazon sellers who log in and attempt to sell a PS4 are confronted with a message that &#8220;the ability to create a listing for this item has been restricted.&#8221; So much for all those folks hoping to jump in and sell their couple extra systems for a quick buck on the website. Many people are still selling their systems on EBay, though likely not for the premium price they hoped for; yesterday unit

Huh, needs more journalism.

StevieP

Banned
Wow.... just wow. If this turns out to have any sort of validity, that's gonna suck serious ass.

Guys... Tons of electronics are made by slave/student/etc labour. The QC department of each manufacturer roots this kind of stuff out before it hits the consumer supply chain. Or at least it's supposed to. Spreading crap like that is futile

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is exactly what happened with the original 3DS when Amazon was getting a ton of returns due to screen scratching.

Amazon has no stock to sell, there is no halting. Did you see anyone selling PS4s on Amazon for more than retail? Last year people were scalping WiiUs on Amazon, this year not a single PS4. They changed their policy and have restricted the sales of both new consoles during the supply constrained phase. Try to list an Xbone and see what happens. Oh I can see it now. Amazon halts sales of Xbones just in case they have a high failure rate like the PS4s.

malfcn

Doubt it. Way too much money to give up no matter what the hassle is for them

I am still shocked how long that drought was. Just how long was it that Amazon didn't stock the 3DS themselves?

Only if Sony decides not to buy back the returned units, like Nintendo.

Is that what happened? Didn't know all the details.
Was it because they didn't stand behind their product or what? That seems strange.

Razdek

Banned
For those that have had freezes were you able to soft reset it by holding down the power button or did you have to pull the plug? I've had three freezes so far and holding the power button never worked and had to pull the plug all three times which can't be good for the system.

I don't know if this already be posted:

Playstation 4 Thermal Images

uUCYC8T.jpg

"30 minutes later, the top surface of the PS4 is still holding around 114º F degrees at its peak."

0k7n6N1.jpg

"The vents however, are now up to 143º F after 30 minutes of running Killzone, which is totally a reasonable spec!"

3SkHAQ5.jpg

VY92xJm.jpg

"Highest temp read on the vent is around 126º F, a little cooler than when it was vertical, but the play time was a little bit shorter."

Eo6KRb0.jpg

"Been playing for over 3 hours now, with the PS4 comfortable in my home theater cabinet in its flat position. The Playstation remains a little under the temperature it was when I was around 30 minutes in, which is around ~133ºF/56ºC. "

More pics on source: http://www.planetextech.com/profiles/blogs/playstation-4-thermal-images

Same here, mine is working fine as well, tried a lot of games and stuff with it as well, so far so good.

My buddy had an issue where ou sound came through his Sony TV, after restarting it it wouldn't even detect something plugged into the HDMI slot. I told him to update the firmware on his Sony TV because someone else on GAF was having a weird scene issue with theirs and that resolved it. He applied the firmware update and sure enough it's good to go.

LQX

Amazon has no stock to sell, there is no halting. Did you see anyone selling PS4s on Amazon for more than retail? Last year people were scalping WiiUs on Amazon, this year not a single PS4. They changed their policy and have restricted the sales of both new consoles during the supply constrained phase. Try to list an Xbone and see what happens. Oh I can see it now. Amazon halts sales of Xbones just in case they have a high failure rate like the PS4s.
I would no go that far. With black Friday coming they could be very well have held back on selling out every unit to entice people to come to the site that day. And that goes for many other retailers. They did it with the Wii.

Y2Kev

I would no go that far. With black Friday coming they could be very well have held back on selling out every unit to entice people to come to the site that day. And that goes for many other retailers. They did it with the Wii.

This is what they are saying;

Due to extremely high demand, Amazon.com is currently sold out of the PlayStation 4 inventory. However, there may be offers available from Marketplace Sellers. Please check back on the Amazon Video Games Facebook page for the next update on when Amazon.com will have more PlayStation 4s.

Doesn't really sound like they are halting sales.

I have not aeen as many dead consoles reports as yesterday on this thread, or I'm being too optimistic?

The number is down and a few have replaced theirs, but people are still getting systems so it will be a steady stream.

Top Bottom