• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

prophecy0

I just got home after being gone all day and tried turning my PS4 on for the first time since last night. I got the BLOD once again. After about 3 attempts I was finally able to boot into safe mode and reset the system to default. I was then able to use the PS4 without issue.

It's getting really annoying to have to boot into safe mode and do the system setup every time I want to use the PS4.

I just got home after being gone all day and tried turning my PS4 on for the first time since last night. I got the BLOD once again. After about 3 attempts I was finally able to boot into safe mode and reset the system to default. I was then able to use the PS4 without issue.

It's getting really annoying to have to boot into safe mode and do the system setup every time I want to use the PS4.

Obvs something wrong with the unit. Exchange it.

Bossofman

Neo Member
So if I have got it straight, that one Factory in China is where all the defective PS4's are coming from, only problem is it seems to be the ONLY factory making PS4's?

rinse82

So, how do I disable the mic on the camera besides unplugging it?

Couldn't find the option for it, must've drove the guy I was playing FIFA with nuts lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So if I have got it straight, that one Factory in China is where all the defective PS4's are coming from, only problem is it seems to be the ONLY factory making PS4's?

I actually did a little Googling...I don't think it's a place. I think it's a company. See here. There could be multiple factories...or multiple production lines. But it's...not one place maybe?

neuroned

Neo Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 0.4% failure rate that Sony openly acknowledged was prior to the actual Friday launch, right? Considering that they sent out "thousands" of consoles via contest, promotion, review, whatevs, 0.4% isn't all that bad. It will be interesting to see first week console sales, which will hopefully shed a bit more light on the current fail percentage.

meanspartan

Ya I dont think the factory location matters EXCEPT in that some bad apple ps4s ended up in amazon stock apparently. Mine is a september yantai and works fine. Maybe a bad few days of production, and that stock ended up with amazon?

My PS4 keeps ejecting Knack and whatever Blue Ray I tried to put in. Its gotten so bad that even as I type this I can hear the PS4 making the eject sound.
It updated and worked perfectly without a problem until this afternoon when it ejected Knack as I was playing knack and it hasn't let me put in anything else since.
Let's see.
I bought it at GameStop in Laplace, LA. Everything works fine except what I stated above. It has the latest firmware update.
Is anyone else having this problem?
If so is there a simple solution for it?

GutsOfThor

Welp the disc drive on mine went out. It makes the insert/eject sound every couple seconds even though there is no disc in the drive. It won't let me insert a disc either.

Running on FW 1.5 and purchased from Amazon.

Welp the disc drive on mine went out. It makes the insert/eject sound every couple seconds even though there is no disc in the drive. It won't let me insert a disc either.

Running on FW 1.5 and purchased from Amazon.

Hey buddy, same here except I got mine at a GameStop. This is uncharted territory for me cause I never had a problem with a console before and I've been around for a few.
Here's hoping tech GAF has a solution.

DukeSucks

For PS3 to PS4 games, do I always need my PS3 disc in or just once?

Just curious, as I might get the $10 upgrade for my step brother's copy of COD:Ghosts.

Every time you play

Anyone have any stuttering issues with their surround sound setup up(set up with an optical cable)

I was playing the quick game of 2k14 while it was installing. I use optical set to DTS and I kept losing sound and had to finally just put it to bitstream (?). No issues since it fully installed but haven't played it much, no issues with CoD or Resogun either

Owzers

I chirped up in one thread but i'll ask here. I just started playing PS4 tonight and after starting BF4 for the first time, the fan noise never lowered after the install process was over and a lot of heat is being pushed out. Are disc based games supposed to be "whisper quiet" for people that have good hearing? It's about the same level my ps3 slim makes when playing disc games, maybe a little louder.

GutsOfThor

Hey buddy, same here except I got mine at a GameStop. Thus is uncharted territory for me cause I never had a problem with a console before and I've been around for a few.
Here's hoping tech GAF has a solution.

Holy shit one minute before my post! It sucks but it was a fun 24 hours while it lasted. I think I'm just going to ask Amazon for my money back and wait till next winter to rebuy one. Hopefully they'll have this shit figured out by then.

Wray

So ya, I ordered mine from Amazon and I'm getting the no signal/pulsing blue light band issue. What options do I have at this point, since I cant return it to Amazon since they have none in stock. I also have no Sony store in my location.

GutsOfThor

How long before there's a mass recall? This is pretty fucked.

It is. I have never had a console break on me the first 24 hours of owning it. I had a launch 360 that lasted me 4 years before it red ringed and a PS2 that lasted a year before the infamous laser trouble.

K' Dash

So ya, I ordered mine from Amazon and I'm getting the no signal/pulsing blue light band issue. What options do I have at this point, since I cant return it to Amazon since they have none in stock. I also have no Sony store in my location.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Holy shit one minute before my post! It sucks but it was a fun 24 hours while it lasted. I think I'm just going to ask Amazon for my money back and wait till next winter to rebuy one. Hopefully they'll have this shit figured out by then.

I get your frustration if you're even frustrated but I've waited too long for this gen just to give up so easily. I really, really love my PS4 and I'm really into Knack. Hopefully its a simple fix.

ElRenoRaven

You can try the remove HDD and boot it and then reinstall HDD and boot it trick. However there hasn't appeared to be much evidence that it works. After that I'd call or fight with Sony chat support and get a coffin sent to you. I know it sucks but that's pretty much it.

Nibiru

Banned
It is. I have never had a console break on me the first 24 hours of owning it. I had a launch 360 that lasted me 4 years before it red ringed and a PS2 that lasted a year before the infamous laser trouble.

You were lucky I lost two 360 to rrod first one was dead in a month. Like 50% of early 360 rrod. Wheather it's in the first week or first few months it's never convenient.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The number is down and a few have replaced theirs, but people are still getting systems so it will be a steady stream.
Yup, once I get mine Monday and test it out, I'll report back here with manufacturing date / location (though I don't think this has any bearing on anything so far, it seems). Hopefully not DOA.

Yup, once I get mine Monday and test it out, I'll report back here with manufacturing date / location. Hopefully not DOA.

Yeah. Going by Amazon.ca, most of the ordersfor launch consoles didn't go out until the 15th and there was no same day delivery. Most of them will be delivered Monday.

So we may get an influx of Canada bricks.

Shinjiru

I chirped up in one thread but i'll ask here. I just started playing PS4 tonight and after starting BF4 for the first time, the fan noise never lowered after the install process was over and a lot of heat is being pushed out. Are disc based games supposed to be "whisper quiet" for people that have good hearing? It's about the same level my ps3 slim makes when playing disc games, maybe a little louder.

My disc based games (Battlefield, Killzone, Knack) are anything but quiet. I haven't played much but Battlefield seems like the quietest of the three. It's intermittent too - at some points in Knack and Killzone the PS4 gets as loud as my launch PS3 and at other points it's barely noticeable. More often than not, though, it's pretty loud.

Can I with the bundled mic plugged into the DS4 pump the chat audio through the TV speakers? I can hear my friends through TV in the party when I unplug the mic but once I plug it in its pumped back into the earbud. Any remedy to disable this?

So another update......My system turned on again after leaving it alone for a few hours. I played killzone for about an hour. I pressed the share button while I was in killzone and the screen started flickering then after I pressed it again it turned off and now it is doing the BLOD. It probably will start up again after I let it sit and cool down for a while. The first time the system crashed and went to BLOD I was in the system main menu looking at the downloads section and then it suddenly crashed. So maybe this is a firmware problem afterall? or maybe that extra processor in the ps4 for the OS function is faulty? who knows.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
KPUhyG1.png

Manufacturing date and place pls

Just to add to the conversation... Mine has been working fine too (knock on wood). It was manufactured in Yantai in August. I bought it at a Gamestop.

Wray

You can try the remove HDD and boot it and then reinstall HDD and boot it trick. However there hasn't appeared to be much evidence that it works. After that I'd call or fight with Sony chat support and get a coffin sent to you. I know it sucks but that's pretty much it.

Ya just tried that, didnt work :(

gazele

Banned

send it back to amazon for a refund, it's free to ship, try to get a brick and mortar console tomorrow or this week, that's what i'm doing

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Looks like I'm steering clear of Amazon for the time being. Are PS4s from other retailers showing issues, too?

there's one guy in here who took his bricked PS4 back to the a store and had it replaced by another bricked PS4.

i don't think it's an amazon thing.

Top Bottom