• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

I feel like I might have a solid PS4. I have probably turned it on and off 20 times today, all due to various reasons (left the house, came back, left again). I have downloaded several games, played games on discs and messed around with remote play.

Not a single issue so far. Time will tell I suppose.

Derrick01

Banned
Man this thread...

As if waiting for my delayed PS4 from Amazon wasn't stressful enough now I have to worry about a seemingly 50/50 chance of it being broken too.

gazele

Banned
Man this thread...

As if waiting for my delayed PS4 from Amazon wasn't stressful enough now I have to worry about a seemingly 50/50 chance of it being broken too.

Nah, it's not that bad (probably), I wouldn't worry about it til you start getting issues

ACESmkII

Well you can now add me to the list of buyers that got a faulty unit from Amazon. September build as well.

I powered up the PS4 out of standby and loaded up the Netflix app and the system locked up. Netflix had worked earlier with no problems earlier in the day but this time it completely froze the system. I powered down the system and turned it back on where it did a system file check and told me to reinstall the firmware of 1.50 or higher. I tried about 10 times and it kept giving me multiple error codes.

Worked fine for about 4 hours. I got to play a bit of Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun before my system bricked.

Sucks man

I guess I will contact Amazon for a refund.

Averon

Bah. Looks like I'm going to wait to pick up a PS4. I have terrible luck, and I'm not willing to pay >$400 for a dud and going through the hassle of replacing it.

Hopefully this will be solve by the 2nd or 3rd production run, which means I'm probably won't be picking up a PS4 until February or March.

Beant

No way. Sony will fix or replace any broken systems just like MS did.

It would only be recalled if systems were exploding in people's homes.

Agree 100%, 0 chance at a recall.

Check out this list of major product recalls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

They all cause bodily injury or property damage to things besides the product being recalled .

That being said - I feel terrible for all of you with launch problems. I hope Sony is quick and nice replacing consoles. I have been reading that they have some backups at Sony stores and you can get them swapped out very quickly even if you ordered from amazon.

Shit, didn't realize the multitude of issues going on. Hoping the Xbox units don't have any major issues otherwise it's going to be a really shitty intro to next gen for a lot of people.

K' Dash

Gold Member
Well you can now add me to the list of buyers that got a faulty unit from Amazon. September build as well.

I powered up the PS4 out of standby and loaded up the Netflix app and the system locked up. Netflix had worked earlier with no problems earlier in the day but this time it completely froze the system. I powered down the system and turned it back on where it did a system file check and told me to reinstall the firmware of 1.50 or higher. I tried about 10 times and it kept giving me multiple error codes.

Worked fine for about 4 hours. I got to play a bit of Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun before my system bricked.

Sucks man

I guess I will contact Amazon for a refund.

Did you try updating via USB?

I have seen this phrase in a few posts now "so this is a real issue huh?"

What do you mean, endemic?

Afraid not as we would have at best guess tens of thousands being returned maybe even the hundreds of thousands if it was an endemic issue and that is not the case.

One bad batch could account for all these issues.

Majorly sucks for those poor souls who are unfortunate to have a bad machine.

I was referring to the consistency of the problem, these issues seem to be outside the normal failure rates for electronics therefore yes, I think it's a real issue. I have no doubt that Sony will clear this up though and if I had the dough I'd buy a PS4 tomorrow. But this is off topic.

LukeSmith

I am assuming that the three beeps when attempting to go to Safe Mode and the cool blue light mean "Dead Console." Is that accurate?

I don't seem to be able to even boot into safe mode

jaxpunk

That being said - I feel terrible for all of you with launch problems. I hope Sony is quick and nice replacing consoles. I have been reading that they have some backups at Sony stores and you can get them swapped out very quickly even if you ordered from amazon.

If your state even has a Sony store, Ohio does not. Sorta close to Indiana too, ope none there either. Parents have a place in Michigan I suppose, wait nope none there either.

Neato!

Smidget

I am assuming that the three beeps when attempting to go to Safe Mode and the cool blue light mean "Dead Console." Is that accurate?

I don't seem to be able to even boot into safe mode

Yep. That's what I got. In a box back to amazon and got a working one from Costco.

Hongfujin Yantai, Sep 2013 from Amazon.
Got it 11/15, When through Update and Downloads, played for 2 hours, turn it off and on after 2 hours just to make sure it worked lol
11/16: Updates all my games, and downloaded some of the free games, played trough the whole Ghosts campaign (about 6 hours straight) No problems so far.
You guys are scarring the crap out of me, so my Panic levels wont be off for a while XD.

sangreal

Wait what? You need a creditcard to make a PSN account? I guess it's 'normal' in the US, but we in europe almost never use credit cards. Everyone I know up untill the age of 30 never had a credit card..

This will be a massive backlash in the EU... and sony deserves it if they don't change this. It's rediculous.

not to create a psn account, but it forced me to enter a CC to redeem the 30 day ps+ code

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
not to create a psn account, but it forced me to enter a CC to redeem the 30 day ps+ code

Is it possible to delete the card information off your account after the code is redeemed or does it need to stay on there?

I feel really lucky I got a full working PS4. Have 10 ish hrs in Killzone without issue.

Also was it the HDMI cable causing issues? I used one from monoprice so I never even opened the Sony one. The hot rumor on the street is that the HDMI cable was jacked up.

I got a pleasant surprise.

Amazon followed up with me. They apologized for the faulty console and offered a refund/eventual replacement.

I said no thanks as I went to the Sony store and did a swap. CS rep offered a $40 promo credit for next Amazon order. I gladly accepted!

elty

I saw someone post this on the official Sony forum. He had the pulsing light of death after playing Killzone.

Basically, I used an external dock to connect the hard drive to my Linux PC then used gPartEd to delete all of the partitions the PS4 made on the disk. After the partitions were deleted I formatted the disk with no files system. I put the disk back into the PS4, powered it on, and was greeted with Safe Mode. Finally! I then downloaded the 1.50 system update (the 800+Mb one) and installed it through USB. After a few minutes, the system rebooted, ran through the initial setup screen, and got everything going again. I am waiting for games to download but the system seems fine so far.

Bah. Looks like I'm going to wait to pick up a PS4. I have terrible luck, and I'm not willing to pay >$400 for a dud and going through the hassle of replacing it.

Hopefully this will be solve by the 2nd or 3rd production run, which means I'm probably won't be picking up a PS4 until February or March.

Crap, it takes that long for a second batch? I'm leaning towards postponing my purchase as well. I want the console itself more than Killzone anyway. Will see how this develops in the coming week or two.

ACESmkII

Did you try updating via USB?

Yep, I tried numerous times and as it tries to install it sits at the 0% percent mark on the status bar and then goes right to 100% and then...

A serious error has occurred pleas contact technical support for assistance (CE-30785-3)

Jeremy Conrad posted this minutes ago:

gs1ejM9.png

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/401932869729136640

-----

What do you think?

rSpooky

Yantai September 2013 . Played all last night and from 8 this morning until just now (16hrs) , disc, HDD based games, while broadcasting on twitch , two player stuff. all over the place. On pause for a while while eating etc.
Still going good so far. I do find there is a slight ticking/knocking/ratteling sound coming from what seem the fan, but I cannot reference if that is normal or not. As it is working fine I have to assume it is.

USC-fan

Banned
I think he's an idiot. Without HDCP, it will simply revert to 480p, but it will continue to display a signal. HDCP only effects high-def signals, standard-def can pass right through it. The system would probably generate an error message, too.
that not correct.

Derrick01

Banned
Hyperbolic chamber.

Well I didn't seriously mean that, it just kind of feels like that with all of these reports across the internet. Thankfully the only friend I have that got a PS4 so far is reporting no problems and his was Amazon as well. I consider myself cursed too so I'm sort of expecting something else to go wrong, besides Amazon/UPS picking this console to be the first ever item they miss the targeted shipping date for me out of hundreds of game related things I've bought from them over the years.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wonder if Amazon Canada orders are affected by the DOA console problems.

Why does everyone assume it is constrained to Amazon? People from Taco Bell had it, reviewers had problems, people who got it from the launch event in NY had it. It's statistics and numbers and Amazon pushes large numbers.

If this has any sort of validity it could be DEVASTATING for Sony.. I hope its BS, because they would be forced to recall a lot of hardware, and probably have to push back launch in EU/Asia..

I think it would be great for Sony, since they'd be able to point their finger at someone else.

Hilarious if true though.... Ooh the drama.

But.... I won't have a PS4 for months then..,, :(

kodecraft

I think he's an idiot. Without HDCP, it will simply revert to 480p, but it will continue to display a signal. HDCP only effects high-def signals, standard-def can pass right through it. The system would probably generate an error message, too.

Nope, without HDCP you will get a blank screen on some HDTV's.

The tv will display a 'No signal', giving you no default 480p anything, so he may be on to something instead of "I think he's an idiot"

Top Bottom