• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Kitoro

Ugh.. the whole interface is just so sluggish/broken.

PSN Store takes me 5+ minutes to load. I just tried to access my privacy settings and was given the "Please Wait" screen for 5 more minutes to no avail, so I back out with Circle, and the system freezes entirely.

I can't tell if my hardware or its software is to blame...

inner-G

Banned
So what's the verdict on installing 1.5 via USB? Start the system and set everything up before doing safe mode and installing or just start it for the first time right into safe mode and install before setting up everything?
I started it once, skipped setup, turned it right off then installed from USB on my second ps4, working fine.

My PS4 seems to be working alright, with a few odd issues here and there.

My main issue right now is that after playing any game, I can no longer access the PSN store off the menu. It just goes to a blank blue screen (sometimes with the wallpaper, sometimes not), and I have to restart the system to gain access to the PSN store.

Does this happen to anyone else?

yeah the blue screen was happening to me also. It doesn't freeze but it just sits there no loading no nothing.

IconGrist

This thread makes me so sad. It's like I want to invite all you GAFers having issues to my place so you could experience the PS4 the way you should.

OmahaG8

I don't know if this mirrors anybody else, but I'm curious if there's any consistency.

My PS4, when I play (Knack,Resogun, KZ) ramps up decently loud (a 'notch' below launch PS3). If I goto the options menu, almost instantly the fan starts gearing down. If I quit a game when it's running loudly, again the fan - within 10 seconds goes near silent. When I'm doing Netflix, Hulu, PSN store, Play Room, it is near silent. But the constant up and down (not the disc drive) is very distracting and basically unpleasant.

If people here weren't saying that their's didn't do this, I wonder if I'd think it was normal.

This thread makes me so sad. It's like I want to invite all you GAFers having issues to my place so you could experience the PS4 the way you should.

I know right? Mines is working just fine. I'm happy about that, but shit I wish everyone else's was :^(

I don't know if this mirrors anybody else, but I'm curious if there's any consistency.

My PS4, when I play (Knack,Resogun, KZ) ramps up decently loud (a 'notch' below launch PS3). If I goto the options menu, almost instantly the fan starts gearing down. If I quit a game when it's running loudly, again the fan - within 10 seconds goes near silent. When I'm doing Netflix, Hulu, PSN store, Play Room, it is near silent. But the constant up and down (not the disc drive) is very distracting and basically unpleasant.

If people here weren't saying that their's didn't do this, I wonder if I'd think it was normal.

Are your games disk or digital?

My ps4 seems near silent, no matter what im doing.

OmahaG8

I know right? Mines is working just fine. I'm happy about that, but shit I wish everyone else's was :^(

Are your games disk or digital?

Disk - but Resogun does it too (anything that seems to be remotely demanding)

So for the people who have "good" ones, care to post your build locations/months?

Disk - but Resogun does it too (anything that seems to be remotely demanding)

So for the people who have "good" ones, care to post your build locations/months?

Ah, forgot Resogun was digital only. Pretty odd when you factor that in.

I'll post my build once I get back home in the morning. Maybe we should have a thread and see if there is something to it.

Gonna post this since it may be a good "preventative" process. It certainly shouldn't hurt peoples' systems...

I got my PS4 yesterday from Amazon. I didn't manhandle it or anything when unboxing it. I didn't toss things together to hook it up superfast to my TV and receiver. I did things slow, methodical and made certain to plug things in gently as I would with ANY other new piece of equipment. In so many of the videos and streams I see people manhandling and utterly forcing things into place and it drove me nuts. #1 thing to remember when setting up a new system, computer, anything: Treat it like it's expensive equipment and not a fucking baby toy.

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER move the system when it has any power to it whatsoever. When hard drives are spinning it's very easy to damage a platter in the drive if you "shock" it in any way. This goes for laptops and computers as well. Laptop drives are built to be a little more stable with this but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, here's the steps I did just to experience things and understand how the update process works. My plan here was to format the PS4 hard drive and do a full OS reinstall in case the hard drives had been mass imaged and weren't really set up per system.

1) Examined the HDMI port to see if there was anything off or any obstructions in it. It was perfectly fine.

2) Hooked the PS4 up to my audio receiver with my own HDMI cable that was attached to my PS3 previously (cheapie 12 foot $4.00 cable from Fry's Electronics I bought years ago)

3) Plugged in my controller using the USB cable that shipped with the PS4. I plugged it into the LEFT USB port, although it doesn't really matter which port you plug it into.

4) Did NOT hook up my ethernet cable. I didn't want it connecting anywhere or doing anything until I was certain I had a "clean" system that I had set up myself.

5) First time bootup -> Powered it on just by lightly touching the capacitive power button on the front of the system. There is no need to apply any pressure at all so don't try forcing it to move. It doesn't move. I listened for appropriate noises (Bluray Drive doing a head seek, hard drive spinning up, fans working - felt for warm air flowing) and let the system boot up.

6) System booted up fine and went into the PS4 OS Setup. I skipped everything and did not customize anything or let it connect wirelessly anywhere. I just wanted to get INTO the OS. I think the only thing I did was adjust time and Time Zone.

7) Once in the OS I held the PlayStation button down on the DS4 and turned the system OFF (Did NOT put it into standby mode). It takes a little bit to shutdown completely but you'll know once all the lights are off on the system.

8) Time to update the firmware. I had already downloaded both the 1.50 firmware "Update" and the "Recovery" (859MB) files so I freshly formatted a cheap USB drive with FAT32 and set up the folders appropriately. X:\PS4\UPDATE\PSUPDATE.PUP <-- like that. I decided to do the Recovery method since it involves formatting the drive and I wanted that for sure.

9) I inserted my USB drive into the COMPLETELY OFF system and then I touched and held on the power button for over 7 seconds UNTIL IT BEEPED. Once it beeped I let go of the power button. The system went into Safe Mode.

PS4 Safe Mode: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

10) I chose option 6) Initialize PS4. My reasoning here is to wipe the HD while in Firmware 1.0 so I am absolutely certain it's clean before I attempt to update it. I then booted into the OS again and did minimal setup, skipping over account stuff and network setups until I got into the UI. I once again had the system turn completely off and not enter standby mode.

11) Once the system was completely shutdown I waited like about 10 seconds when all the lights were off and touch and held the power button again for 7 seconds until it beeped. It went into Safe Mode again and I chose Option 7) Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software). I then got the following error:

An error has occurred.
(CE-30776-3)

I didn't panic and calmly tried another USB drive. It was a Corsair USB drive (one of my most compatible flash drives for booting PCs and stuff) and it worked just fine. So REMEMBER: If you get that error above, just try a different USB drive that you know is brand-name. Mine was a Corsair.

12) I then went through the process with step 7 from Safe Mode and it worked this time. It spent time wiping/reformatting the hard drive and then it gave a new screw (higher resolution and with PS4 colors) and on that screen it said it was reinstalling the system software.

13) When it was done, I did the final setup on my PS4 and it has worked like an absolute champ with no system related issues at all. Any issues I've had have been due to PSN being hammered.

Now, this is not going to fix everyone's problems but it is a good way to test the system and set it up so that you KNOW you have done everything right from the beginning. I've got 30 years of experience working with computers and electronics and this is just a general process I feel should work well for folks who are just wanting to be sure they setup their PS4 in the most "stable" manner. I live this shit every day since it's my hobby and also what I do at work.

And they say PC gaming complicated

EDIT - Didn't mean to offend, was just trying to make a joke. My PS4 worked great day one so i'm lucky

For those who have BLOD or the pulsing blue light, i think i found an intresting analysis.

http://lvlzero.com/2013/11/17/ps4-blod-analysis/

Not sure of the veracity of the info, but I find the connection between HDD and BLOD to be intresting and a potential theory to start from. Essentially, the article posits something along the line of corrupt hard drives being a cause of some bad consoles. It would intresting to have someone follow the proper steps to switching out their original PS4 HDD with another Hard drive of some kind to see if their is a difference.

Schrade

I was intentionally verbose in my instructions because when people have no clue what they're doing, there will sometimes be questions about a simple step.

I could have just summed it up to a few lines but that doesn't help those who aren't comfortable with this.

Why not go to a different thread? This is a thread for support not for one liners.

IconGrist

My experience was similar but vastly more streamlined.

Earlier in the day I had downloaded the System Update to a thumb drive thinking I was going to install it myself in case PSN was having problems.

Later that night after I returned from GameStop I opened the box up, carefully handled the items inside and set the PS4 in the spot I had designated for it. I checked the HDMI cord for any issues along with the slot for it on the back of the system. Saw nothing wrong with either so I carefully slid it in until it was seated. Plugged in the power cord on both ends and connected the ethernet cable I already had prepared.

I booted the system and started going through the initial setup process. At one point during the finalization I was given a "Please Wait" message that went for about 10 minutes. Got nervous but I went ahead and rebooted and the system kicked back on just fine and had even saved the settings.

Once everything was good to go it prompted me for the System Update. I bit the bullet and accepted the download. Roughly 45 seconds later the download was complete and the installation process began. It rebooted and went to the home screen and I logged in to my PSN. No issues since besides the "What's New" not loading but that's a PSN thing and not a PS4 problem.

Tonguer

Summary post on PS4 Optical Drive issues, so please excuse the quote-fest below (I did trim a few).

Went through the latter 20 pages of this thread seeking disc drive issues. There are several reports of needing to use the Eject button multiple times to eject a disc (but consistently reading discs), and several reports on the noise(s) or volume specifically of the disc drive (but consistently reading discs). As for the issue of the disc drive having problems accepting/auto-ejecting/reading discs (not reading discs or not consistent), I count 7 reports here so far, mine included.

Several folks here posted later updates 'might be fixed', 'I'm trying this', but they all sound like the same issue I had and am unwilling to accept. Not trying to misrepresent anyone here, but I'm reading these all as the same issue, and that seems significant (still may not be as frequent as the BLOD issues being reported).

Well shit, my PS4 keeps trying to eject a disc every couple of seconds

I have this exact same issue. I just started from the last page of this thread to see if others are getting this issue.

Immediately out of the box, it was making a disc eject sound about every 8 seconds. I did the firmware update and restarted, and it stopped the ejecting sounds - thought maybe firmware resolved. Downloaded some games, played a couple, then today out of the blue it started the disc ejecting noises again, about every 8 seconds. I got a BD disc (didn't buy any disc games), and sure enough, the system generally won't take a disc. The couple times it did actually pull the disc in, it immediately spit it back out with three quick beeps. I tried a few different disc, always the same behavior; maybe one out of 20 tries, or so, it pulls the disk in and spits it back out.

My PS4 keeps ejecting Knack and whatever Blue Ray I tried to put in. Its gotten so bad that even as I type this I can hear the PS4 making the eject sound.
It updated and worked perfectly without a problem until this afternoon when it ejected Knack as I was playing knack and it hasn't let me put in anything else since.

Welp the disc drive on mine went out. It makes the insert/eject sound every couple seconds even though there is no disc in the drive. It won't let me insert a disc either.

Fuuuuuuuu

Has anyone had disc reading issues?

Ps4 was smooth until now, couldn't read asscreed disc. Had to reboot

Now the drive is making these weird whiney noises

Played for well over 24 hours no problems.

Ejected my killzone disk so I could try a bluray for the first time, when I hit eject the disk came out but the drive continued to whir for 10 seconds.

Now it won't accept any disks at all, it won't suck them in.

I see pages of people on the official forums with the same issue.

I'll get back to you once I get a game disc to insert in my PS4

this thread has me so worried.

Our official release date here is 13.12.13 (UAE) - so im hoping the additional month will help Sony to sort out any kind of firmware problems or software issues.

Gonna post this since it may be a good "preventative" process. It certainly shouldn't hurt peoples' systems...

I have a question about your (helpful) 13 Step Troubleshooing Guide. In Step 8, you mention that you downloaded both the Update and Recovery files. In which order do you install those files/Do you use only the Recovery File?

In Step 9 you insert the USB drive into the PS4, turn the PS4 on, then boot into Safe Mode (Step 10). When you do this, which file is in the USB Drive, the Update File (322MB) or the Recovery File (859MB)? Both files are named PS4UPDATE.PUP.

I want to say it's the Recovery File, because that reinstalls the original OS, right? Option 7 in Safe Mode is Reinstall System Software. Then do you use the Update file in Step 13 (Final Setup)? You didn't mention using the USB drive again, so I'm a bit confused. Or does the Recovery File also include the 1.5 Update and you didn't use the Update File at all?

My PS4 arrives in a week and I plan on doing what you did to ensure there won't be any problems, but want to make sure I do everything right.

Sinfamy

I can't seem to get 5.1 on the PS4, works fine on the PS3.

My setup is PS4>HDMI>TV>TOSLINK>LOGITECH Z-5500.

It only outputs in Stereo, and neither of the settings change it. I don't want to plug the optical wire into the PS4 as it would loose the connection for the PS3.

big_z

hardware issue threads are growing fast all over the place. has sony commented yet? I know a rep gave out the target 0.04% defect rate sony aims for but that obviously doenst apply to this situation.

Schrade

I have a question about your (helpful) 13 Step Troubleshooing Guide. In Step 8, you mention that you downloaded both the Update and Recovery files. In which order do you install those files/Do you use only the Recovery File?

I just mentioned that I downloaded both. I only used one, the recovery file. I didn't use the Update file. Just wanted it for safekeeping.

In Step 9 you insert the USB drive into the PS4, turn the PS4 on, then boot into Safe Mode (Step 10). When you do this, which file is in the USB Drive, the Update File (322MB) or the Recovery File (859MB)? Both files are named PS4UPDATE.PUP.

Recovery file, the 859 MB one. I didn't use the Update file.

I want to say it's the Recovery File, because that reinstalls the original OS, right? Option 7 in Safe Mode is Reinstall System Software. Then do you use the Update file in Step 13 (Final Setup)? You didn't mention using the USB drive again, so I'm a bit confused. Or does the Recovery File also include the 1.5 Update and you didn't use the Update File at all?

The recovery file IS the 1.5 Update plus all the other OS files. So that's all you need to install/use.

My PS4 arrives in a week and I plan on doing what you did to ensure there won't be any problems, but want to make sure I do everything right.

Good luck! Hope you have no issues.

I just mentioned that I downloaded both. I only used one, the recovery file. I didn't use the Update file. Just wanted it for safekeeping.

Recovery file, the 859 MB one. I didn't use the Update file.

The recovery file IS the 1.5 Update plus all the other OS files. So that's all you need to install/use.

Good luck! Hope you have no issues.

Thanks for the confirmation! Crossing my fingers here.

Ezi0

Hi guys, I've read most of the replies in this thread and I'm eagerly awaiting the 29th so I can get my PS4, but I would be lying if I said that the issues some of you have had doesn't have me worried. The HDCP issue has me intrigued, especially with that tweet from Jeremy Conrad.

I use Sky Player on my Xbox 360 and when I switch TV inputs there will be no signal going to the 360 because of HDCP, when I switch back to the 360 it will have either crashed the console, taken me back to the dashboard or the Sky player menu. Before Sky player was updated, I would be able to switch back to the 360 without issue. The HDCP would reactivate and I would have a signal.

Could something like that be what's happening to some of you guys who have had issues?

finalexit

It only outputs in Stereo, and neither of the settings change it. I don't want to plug the optical wire into the PS4 as it would loose the connection for the PS3.

Most tvs won't passthrough 5.1.

Kalm

I saw someone earlier having this problem, I think.

Try switching the PS4's audio output to Bitstream.

EDIT: Nvm, sorry. Just saw the bolded part :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nope. I did that before I even put the firmware on it. Remember, I know stuff and know enough to check the filesystem of the USB drive.

I wasn't saying it as a suggestion; my thumb drive didn't work, so I did that and then it magically worked. I suppose its possible that it is within the realm of possibility that it was mere random happenstance that it failed to find the drive 5 consecutive times and then did so successfully immediately after I formatted it and put the same files on without turning off the PS4.

benzy

I finally opened mine. Everything went fine but my ps4 can't find my access point when I'm trying to connect wirelessly. When I set up Internet connection with wifi, easy settings, my router doesn't show up, and it just lists "set up using wps button" or "set up using aoss". I tried manually entering my IP address and other info and it still fails to obtain my IP address.

Sinfamy

Sadly I am now returning mine back to Amazon. I will purchase it again once these issues are taken care of. I wish I didn't have to, but I'd rather get my money now, than go through the exchange process.
The disc drive sounded as if a little piece of paper was in it, and for the life of me, I couldn't get Killzone installed, it kept telling me that either the disc or hard drive was corrupt, I know that it's neither of the two.

Most tvs won't passthrough 5.1.

My LG does it just fine with the PS3 :3

I finally opened mine. Everything went fine but my ps4 can't find my access point when I'm trying to connect wirelessly. When I set up Internet connection with wifi, easy settings, my router doesn't show up, and it just lists "set up using wps button" or "set up using aoss". I tried manually entering my IP address and other info and it still fails to obtain my IP address.
You've got to either do the update wired or with USB and then Wi-Fi will work.

Shinjiru

This is very similar to my PS4. Playing disc based games (Killzone, Knack) makes the fan ramp up very loud. If I double tap the PS button into the web browser or single tap into the home screen the fan immediately idles down to being very quiet.

I love the system and games so far other than it being too damn loud when playing disc based games. Sadly, I am most likely sending it back to Amazon.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Ah, forgot Resogun was digital only. Pretty odd when you factor that in.

I'll post my build once I get back home in the morning. Maybe we should have a thread and see if there is something to it.

It is not odd, the disk is only used for install I think. I have Knack and KZ and they do 37 and 45BG installs respectively. It's all on the HDD once fully installed. So if it is loud for one game it will likely be loud for others. I can't complain about mine. I can't say that I have actually heard anything from it.

Diablos

Er yeah I've been sleeping, but is it safe to say these problematic PS4's are from that one plant in China? Or is it still too early to determine if it's that big of a deal?

I have some gift cards... thinking about making an impulsive buy, but I'd probably wanna wait. Blah I don't know.

finalexit

Er yeah I've been sleeping, but is it safe to say these problematic PS4's are from that one plant in China? Or is it still too early to determine if it's that big of a deal?

I have some gift cards... thinking about making an impulsive buy, but I'd probably wanna wait. Blah I don't know.

Haven't all the ps4s sold so far been from that one plant in China?

popeutlal

But aren't ALL PS4s so far have been made in that one plant?

Regardless of where the units are made, QA should have checked them before sending them out to the customers...just like every other device sold.

KORNdoggy

Do people recommend going straight for a HDD swap? Or would you at least do initial setup on stock drive and then swap it? Or does it not really matter?

Diablos

Haven't all the ps4s sold so far been from that one plant in China?
I have no idea, that's why I figured I'd ask here. I heard some are made in Japan, others are made somewhere else (no clarification on that though), however some of the PS4's made in that plant after a certain date are fine.

Magic Ovaries said:
Regardless of where the units are made, QA should have checked them before sending them out to the customers...just like every other device sold.
Well, if it is as bad as some people are anticipating I am sure Sony will make sure this stops happening.

This makes me feel old, but 10 years ago any time someone had any little thing go wrong with their equipment they couldn't just post it on something like youtube. Any error that happens with any piece of tech -- be it a consumer entertainment product or a website -- is magnified.

Owzers

http://youtu.be/ZGCmAGWSBw0

That was recorded on my sony NEX so better mics. I bought the 3 year extended warranty. If it does crap out I live close to a Sony store, I just don't want to be without it right now. I understand launch yields and all, but I have a fat 40gb PS3 and the thing is bulletproof.

mine sounds like a do-do-doot robot taking my disc, kinda loud but close to ps3 slim, but yours sounds like something is trying to scratch the discs eyes out.

My system is still pretty loud though, much more than my ps3 slim now.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just got done with a chat session with an Amazon rep and she didn't offer me shit. She said all they can do is refund my money and that's all they can do.

So I'm going to hold on to my noisy PS4 until they get more in stock.

Never again, Amazon. Never again.

It is not Amazon's fault. Did you expect Amazon to hold back some units in case they were defective? That is Sony's responsibility. Sony also released the product and like it or not they created these problems with the choices they made.

They sold 1 Million PS4s. If 1/2 a percent were bad that would be 5,000. Amazon probably shifted over 100k of these things. That is pretty high volume. If all things are equal and they had 1/2 percent failure that would be over 500 units. This is inline with the number of bad reviews. Maybe they sold more or maybe the defect rate is pushing 1% or more.

Sony needs to "respond" by at least having their CS process rapid exchanges of defective units. They should be able to ship a new unit out as soon as they receive a bad one and they should also be able to provide the manpower to test each one to make sure it is not DOA. Once they start repairing the DOA ones they can transition to providing customers with refurbed units for exchange, but they still need to do it rapidly until it is possible to exchange defective units in store for a new one.

Blackage

So I decided to wait outside Gamestop. Apparently those preorders for people are being released this morning. Figure I can just buy another here and get my refund from Amazon or even sell the Amazon one to one of my friends or gaf when it gets replaced.

Edit: I got here just in time. A line is forming behind me lol.

Top Bottom