• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

TeaFan

So I decided to wait outside Gamestop. Apparently those preorders for people are being released this morning. Figure I can just buy another here and get my refund from Amazon or even sell the Amazon one to one of my friends or gaf when it gets replaced.

Hope you get one good luck

atomsk

Party Pooper
I was actually thinking about this too, because the first time my system came on and ejected the disc, I was immediately prompted with a PSN error.

Also, left the system off when I went out tonight (hoping the eject error was fixed) only to come home and see the disc resting, ejected from the ps4.

Please keep me posted on your restore and if you see the issue anymore!

Later on last night I after a complete restore, I was able to play through an entire movie, but then it was beeping like crazy. I had the ethernet cable plugged in, but I had not even logged into my account yet, or downloaded anything, just stock 1.50 playing a blu-ray.

So now that I'm awake I'm going to try to unplug the ethernet, unplug the controller (in case the USB is making it flip out), and run tests that way.

edit: and I've got this 3D Sony Monitor, I really doubt it's an HDCP issue

Sturm

Banned
Ehhhh WHAT? Im from Sweden and everyone I know got at least one credit card. How do you pay for stuff??? Cash?

I knew I would get in trouble for saying europe. I mean ofcourse every country is different but it seems scandinavia is more CC focussed than alot of other countries. I can safely say that CC is very uncommon in the netherlands, germany, belgium and france. Alot of people don't have it because it's risky, costs quite some money per month and there are easier and safer ways to pay stuff. Can be cash, can be debit card.

But even still imo, they should atleast give you the option to NOT give a CC number? It's so silly to make that mandatory while it's a big problem for alot of people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, if there are 1MM PS4s now out there and 5% are defective, that is 50,000 units. That could explain the volume.

Or there could be 500,000 bricked ps4s, lol.

Is there any evidence/ more info/ credibility yet that a Foxconn Intern may to have sabotaged the PS4 manufacture (because they were treated badly)?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, if there are 1MM PS4s now out there and 5% are defective, that is 50,000 units. That could explain the volume.

Well 5% would at least be believable. At this point I'm pretty damn sure it's not this .4% number people keep throwing around.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

5% would be way too high to not catch it sooner. 10k or even as little as 1k could easily make as much fuss on the internet as we are seeing. That .4% number from Thursday translates into 4,000. I am not saying that number is accurate but 4000 bad PS4s could easily create the hysteria we are seeing now.

Y2Kev

Well 5% would at least be believable. At this point I'm pretty damn sure it's not this .4% number people keep throwing around.

Okay just to clarify, that number was the number of PS4s that had been reported to Sony as defective. They can't give a number that says anything more specific than that.

5% is in standard. 10%, meaning 100,000 PS4s, would be high though in line with the PS3...but all at launch would just be INSANE. You can imagine 100,000 angry early adopters on the internet.
5% would be way too high to not catch it sooner. 10k or even as little as 1k could easily make as much fuss on the internet as we are seeing. That .4% number from Thursday translates into 4,000. I am not saying that number is accurate but 4000 bad PS4s could easily create the hysteria we are seeing now.

It's not .4%. Sony should never have offered it. It was a mistake to do so.

Lion

Summary post on PS4 Optical Drive issues, so please excuse the quote-fest below (I did trim a few).

Went through the latter 20 pages of this thread seeking disc drive issues. There are several reports of needing to use the Eject button multiple times to eject a disc (but consistently reading discs), and several reports on the noise(s) or volume specifically of the disc drive (but consistently reading discs). As for the issue of the disc drive having problems accepting/auto-ejecting/reading discs (not reading discs or not consistent), I count 7 reports here so far, mine included.

Several folks here posted later updates 'might be fixed', 'I'm trying this', but they all sound like the same issue I had and am unwilling to accept. Not trying to misrepresent anyone here, but I'm reading these all as the same issue, and that seems significant (still may not be as frequent as the BLOD issues being reported).

Theres a thread about disc issues in the playstation forums:

http://community.us.playstation.com...ith-ejecting-PS4-discs/m-p/42133811#U42133811

I knew I would get in trouble for saying europe. I mean ofcourse every country is different but it seems scandinavia is more CC focussed than alot of other countries. I can safely say that CC is very uncommon in the netherlands, germany, belgium and france. Alot of people don't have it because it's risky, costs quite some money per month and there are easier and safer ways to pay stuff. Can be cash, can be debit card.

But even still imo, they should atleast give you the option to NOT give a CC number? It's so silly to make that mandatory while it's a big problem for alot of people.

My CC cost about 20 euro a year and the banks and card providers refund you if your card gets stolen or anything like that and used to pay for something and it is a lot safer than caring cash. It actually harder to use cash than CC here since some public transportation wont even let you pay in cash or the price is much larger. The reason behind it is to lower robbery by not having large sums of money in the cash registers.

All an all I don´t know anyone over the age of 18 that prefer cash over CC except my granny and seeing people pay in cash is actually very rare. Guess it is a cultural thing.

I hope you can do it some other way without using a CC like a code when you buy PS+ or in the manual to the PS4 otherwise I agree that would be stupid.

Alx

Not true for France, everybody has a credit card here, and you can buy anything with it. I only use cash for the laundromat and to buy bread. Debit cards barely exist, they're mostly for teenagers who can't be trusted a full CC.
But from my experience, it's true that in Germany people still like to use cash a lot.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Okay just to clarify, that number was the number of PS4s that had been reported to Sony as defective. They can't give a number that says anything more specific than that.

5% is in standard. 10%, meaning 100,000 PS4s, would be high though in line with the PS3...but all at launch would just be INSANE. You can imagine 100,000 angry early adopters on the internet.

It's not .4%. Sony should never have offered it. It was a mistake to do so.

I don't think it is .4%, but do we have strong evidence that it is any higher than that?

Where do you get that 5% is standard? This is infant mortality not failure during warranty period. Also I don't know what you mean by 10% being in line with PS3. 1 in 10 failures is not acceptable for either party.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics/

A link from 2008 covering failure rates. Looks like 3% is standard for non 360s. And this is over an extended period of time, not day 1 failures which infant mortality, something that absolutely should be down to a negligible number due to QA and testing.

7threst

Not true for France, everybody has a credit card here, and you can buy anything with it. I only use cash for the laundromat and to buy bread. Debit cards barely exist, they're mostly for teenagers who can't be trusted a full CC.
But from my experience, it's true that in Germany people still like to use cash a lot.

Here in Holland the use of credit cards isn't as widespread either. But it's possible Sony will make it an option in a future update. I could see making cc-info mandatory when making an account become a problem especially for young people in Holland.

gazele

Banned
So I decided to wait outside Gamestop. Apparently those preorders for people are being released this morning. Figure I can just buy another here and get my refund from Amazon or even sell the Amazon one to one of my friends or gaf when it gets replaced.

Edit: I got here just in time. A line is forming behind me lol.

Did you call first or just randomly decide to line up? Thinking of doing the same here

Nibiru

Banned

I still think it's pretty low and by low I mean like 50k range. There is this assertion that not everyone talks about it on the internet but let's be honest between forums, twitter and facebook pretty much anyone that is buying a launch ps4 does chat on some form of social media.

paskowitz

IMO DOA is better than working for a year and then breaking down the line.

Also these issues are not caused by overheating or heavy use which is good.

That being said, I am still waiting a year.

Chucker

I'm using the optical out from the ps4 to connect to my mixamp. But I am still getting audio from the TV (HDMI). I've double and triple checked Optical Out is the primary source. I'm also getting audio from the mixamp - so its outputting audio to both HDMI and Optical Out.

Anybody else with this issue?

This is happening to me as well, as it seems anybody else who is doing this. Luckily I have an optical switch and just choose the PS4/XBOX/TV/whatever else whenever I'm playing and the tv is on permanent mute. I know it doesn't help for everybody, but I figured I'd share my solution.

MOPP 4

Banned
My console sounds like a jet engine when playing from disc. Played KZ from download and it's silent. AC4 is off disc and so loud.

Can I fully install disc games manually?

Owzers

My console sounds like a jet engine when playing from disc. Played KZ from download and it's silent. AC4 is off disc and so loud.

I don't know what's going on with installs, even when a game seems to be finished installing from disc my ps4 doesn't get any quieter while still playing.

Chucker

You should be able to. I have ACIV/BF4/NFS on disc and don't hear a thing once the initial install is done.

Blackage

Did you call first or just randomly decide to line up? Thinking of doing the same here

Random line up. 4 guys showed up after me. The Gamestop manager just showed up and said they only had 2. So I feel vindicated showing up at 6am. 2 hours to go......

inter

I posted this yesterday, but might as well again... If any of ordered from Amazon and you are too impatient to deal with Sony fixing your system, Gamestop is selling the pre-orders that didn't get picked up today. The store I was just at had 4, so it's worth checking.

inter

Random line up. 4 guys showed up after me. The Gamestop manager just showed up and said they only had 2. So I feel vindicated showing up at 6am. 2 hours to go......

Oh nice, didn't realize this was posted already. I was first in line at my store and got there at 6:45.

GameSeeker

I think folks in this thread can stop panicking about PS4 failure rates.

Given that Sony has announced 1 Million (1,000,000) sold to customers, if there was a high failures rate for PS4's, NeoGAF would have several thousands more posts in this thread than currently exist.

Of course, some consoles will be defective - it's the nature of new electronics. My sympathies to anyone who received a defective unit. Hopefully Sony can provide you a replacement unit with a few days and you can join the rest of PS4 owners.

FYI - I bought two PS4's (1 Amazon, 1 GameStop) and both are working flawlessly.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
IMO DOA is better than working for a year and then breaking down the line.

Also these issues are not caused by overheating or heavy use which is good.

That being said, I am still waiting a year.

It might be more convenient for it to be DOA but it potentially speaks to much larger quality issues than products that break a year after purchase from heavy use. Who is to say that even the 'good' units now won't face some sort of issue in the next year? We don't really know the nature of the problem yet.

As for .4%...PLEASE. The day before launch when we heard some whispers that some users units were bricking and IGN and Kotagaru both reported dead units it became incredibly probable that this was going to be a significant issue.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Update on my ongoing testing.

Only things I have plugged in right now are power and HDMI

One movie watched, no random eject.

Powered down, no beeping.

Next step, trying with controller plugged in, then ethernet, then logged into PSN

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
Mine runs perfectly fine except it runs loud when playing Killzone (haven't tried another game). I keep hearing people say theirs is virtually silent, but I have nothing to compare to. Is this a sign of bad things to come? I got mine from Amazon, I should be able to exchange at the Sony Store this month/next month, no? Please any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

Lion

Has this been posted yet?

Update*: 11/16 - 11:40 AM: After 50 minutes system turned itself off. Faulty unit. Waited on the phone for another hour for a new Rep.. Decided to go ahead and get another sent to me through Sony. The Rep said that calls of Faulty PS4 are originating from primarily Amazon, and a few from Gamestop.

I'm to receive a box to place the faulty unit in within two days, then a replacement or mine fixed sent back within three more days. Looks like around 11/22 I'll have a PS4 that works.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R34TYNIRGVJKUE/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00BGA9WK2#wasThisHelpful

Nothing new here but the Sony rep. stating oficially that amazon units seems to be the faulty ones in most cases.

dwix

Update on my ongoing testing.

Only things I have plugged in right now are power and HDMI

One movie watched, no random eject.

Powered down, no beeping.

Next step, trying with controller plugged in, then ethernet, then logged into PSN

Thanks for the updates! Here's hoping...

Sinistral

This is entirely anecdotal but from working a shift at EB Games yesterday. Out of the 160 we had for pre-orders, about 150 of them picked up so far. We've had a total of 3 QA issues pop up so far. 1 was a loud fan, 1 was a DOA, the last one was firmware bricking (this one I was told about second hand). I did ask a lot of people who were buying PS4 games how their systems were fairing the majority of them seem quite happy.

I do feel sorry for those customers and anyone running into issues, but it looks like Sony will have plenty of consoles for replacements and repairs. It just may not be instant at this time.

Has anybody experienced their sound cutting out? Mine did this this morning - after playing a little bit of Flower and transitioning over to Netflix. The sound went away except for short chirps every second or two.

Using optical out into receiver, DTS.

I tried restarting a couple apps but it didn't go away. After rebooting the system it was fine. Hope it's just a one-time thing.....

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I wonder how many consoles amazon sold compared to other stores. If they sold way more that would explain why they're seeing so many consoles from amazon.

was there ever a follow up on the whole amazon halted production deal? there was that one guy who heard it from customer support when he called up, then a second guy who posted a online chat which seemed to confirm it, then nothing until another vague transcript where amazon stated they didn't know of any problem.

seemed kinda up in the air.

Y2Kev

was there ever a follow up on the whole amazon halted production deal? there was that one guy who heard it from customer support when he called up, then a second guy who posted a online chat which seemed to confirm it, then nothing until another vague transcript where amazon stated they didn't know of any problem.

seemed kinda up in the air.

It says this on their page:

Due to extremely high demand, Amazon.com is currently sold out of the PlayStation 4 inventory. However, there may be offers available from Marketplace Sellers. Please check back on the Amazon Video Games Facebook page for the next update on when Amazon.com will have more PlayStation 4s.

I don't think anything seems halted except Amazon's ability to get more PS4s from Sony.

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames

No posts on their page about it.

I doubt Amazon would stop selling unless Sony refused to buy back broken devices. I think that's what happened with Nintendo.

OmahaG8

Lol. If it wasn't for all the other non fan issues, I would have no hesitation opening my ps4 and reseating the heatsink with new paste. I opened up my launch 60gb and out the higher count fan blade in/new paste years ago and it significantly reduced by ps3 heat/noise.

Anyone else having a controller issue where the sticks will seem to lose connection?

Most common point this happens is in Killzone or BF4 - and essentially the camera will become unresponsive or erratic.

Didn't want to start a new thread so hope I can get an answer in here.

What's the status on digital content purchased on the PS3? How is it being handled and is there the possibility of it carrying over at some point?

K' Dash

Didn't want to start a new thread so hope I can get an answer in here.

What's the status on digital content purchased on the PS3? How is it being handled and is there the possibility of it carrying over at some point?

None of the PS3 games will play on PS4, only the games they ported, like Flower.

Top Bottom