• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

OmahaG8

I'm considering calling Amazon tomorrow to start the process of returning my system. It just runs so God damn loud sometimes. And what's weird is I can also go for hours and it's whisper quiet. You can still hear it, but it's nothing I would have ever worried about. And other times it's loud, even if there's no disc in the drive. I don't know if it's the fan or the drive, all I know is it's seriously bumming me out.

I'm with you. I think I've resigned to waiting a bit to see if things clear up, and return my unit to amazon closer to jan 31st.

npa189

The PS4 disc drive is a bit noisy when it grabs the disc, but mine has a much lower pitch sound to it. That almost sounds like it's a crappy mic picking up the sound and making it sound worse than it really does.

I recorded it on an iphone, so it could be making it sound worse, but my sister's PS4 isn't nearly as noisy. It hasn't been an issue so far so I'm trying not to worry. Thanks for looking.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
About on par with the older model 360's.

Hey does anyone know how long the return process is with Amazon? I mean, am I going to be without my system for a month or some shit?

Is there a Sony Store around you? Take it there with your receipt (from Amazon) and hope they have a replacement unit.

I don't even know if it is possible. I'm just saying that I'm not having that problem with my PS4 and that game so that's the next step I personally would take if it was my PS4 doing that just to see if the problem goes away.
ok thank you for the quick reply I'll try that out. Hope I didn't get a bad system :(

Quasar

Well being in pal-land with two weeks to go this all mess has me reaching for the cancel preorder button. Hopefully I can be reassured in the meantime.

AkIRA_22

Well here is the disc drive 'grabber' as you can see it's a hive of gears and springs, very prone to issues.

sony-ps4-internal-optical-drive.png

Blackage

So apparently Amazon is doing some type of return/replacement deal:

Me:playstation 4 arrived and is broken. Blue Light of Death.
AmazonCS:Hello Fuckedoverplaystationowner , my name is AmazonCS from Amazon Chat Support. I'm so sorry to hear that you received a broken item. We really need to do something about this. Rest assured I am here to help you.
Me::)
AmazonCS:Just to be sure, is this for the order FuckedPlaystation #252541
Me: FuckedPlaystation #252541 yes.
AmazonCS:Thank you. One moment please.
Thank you for patiently waiting Fuckedoverplaystationowner. The best thing that we can do for now is to return the item for a refund. will that work fine with you?
Me:No replacement?
AmazonCS:Ordinarily we would be unable to replace an item that is no longer available from Amazon.com. However, since we know this is an important item, we've created a special process to send out replacement consoles. This process may take several business days. Would you like me to request a replacement console for you?
Me:Did....did you have that copy/paste ready?
That was fast...
err
Yes
What's the process?
AmazonCS:I was already typing it.
supposedly that was entered with the previous one.
Me:With the holidays coming up, it's going to be extremely hard to find one. =/ So what's the process for replacement?
Did I lose you?
AmazonCS:One moment please
Don't worry. I'll fill out the PlayStation 4 Replacement Request form on my end.
Me:Alrighty. One thing, if there's a way for one-day shipping I'll pay for it, I don't know if I get a discount as a Prime member or not, just want to resolve this sooner than later. >_<
AmazonCS:Don't worry Fuckedoverplaystationowner. I'll make a note on the request that you need the one-day shipping. Please accept this $10.00 promotional credit as a goodwill gesture and an apology for any inconvenience. You can use this promotional credit the next time you order an item sold by Amazon.com.
Me:Thank you. :)
AmazonCS:You're most welcome Fuckedoverplaystationowner. Can I help you with anything else aside from this?
Me:No sir
AmazonCS:It has been my pleasure assisting you.
Thank you for contacting Amazon. Have a wonderful evening!

jbartee

So apparently Amazon is doing some type of return/replacement deal:

Me:playstation 4 arrived and is broken. Blue Light of Death.
AmazonCS:Hello Fuckedoverplaystationowner , my name is AmazonCS from Amazon Chat Support. I'm so sorry to hear that you received a broken item. We really need to do something about this. Rest assured I am here to help you.
Me::)
AmazonCS:Just to be sure, is this for the order FuckedPlaystation #252541
Me: FuckedPlaystation #252541 yes.
AmazonCS:Thank you. One moment please.
Thank you for patiently waiting Fuckedoverplaystationowner. The best thing that we can do for now is to return the item for a refund. will that work fine with you?
Me:No replacement?
AmazonCS:Ordinarily we would be unable to replace an item that is no longer available from Amazon.com. However, since we know this is an important item, we've created a special process to send out replacement consoles. This process may take several business days. Would you like me to request a replacement console for you?
Me:Did....did you have that copy/paste ready?
That was fast...
err
Yes
What's the process?
AmazonCS:I was already typing it.
supposedly that was entered with the previous one.
Me:With the holidays coming up, it's going to be extremely hard to find one. =/ So what's the process for replacement?
Did I lose you?
AmazonCS:One moment please
Don't worry. I'll fill out the PlayStation 4 Replacement Request form on my end.
Me:Alrighty. One thing, if there's a way for one-day shipping I'll pay for it, I don't know if I get a discount as a Prime member or not, just want to resolve this sooner than later. >_<
AmazonCS:Don't worry Fuckedoverplaystationowner. I'll make a note on the request that you need the one-day shipping. Please accept this $10.00 promotional credit as a goodwill gesture and an apology for any inconvenience. You can use this promotional credit the next time you order an item sold by Amazon.com.
Me:Thank you. :)
AmazonCS:You're most welcome Fuckedoverplaystationowner. Can I help you with anything else aside from this?
Me:No sir
AmazonCS:It has been my pleasure assisting you.
Thank you for contacting Amazon. Have a wonderful evening!

Awesome, that's fantastic news. I wonder if that means they'll just pull a console out of the next batch they get in?

npa189

http://youtu.be/ZGCmAGWSBw0

That was recorded on my sony NEX so better mics. I bought the 3 year extended warranty. If it does crap out I live close to a Sony store, I just don't want to be without it right now. I understand launch yields and all, but I have a fat 40gb PS3 and the thing is bulletproof.

http://youtu.be/ZGCmAGWSBw0

That was recorded on my sony NEX so better mics. I bought the 3 year extended warranty. If it does crap out I live close to a Sony store, I just don't want to be without it right now. I understand launch yields and all, but I have a fat 40gb PS3 and the thing is bulletproof.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right... You made a smart decision with purchasing the 3 year warranty, so you should be covered.

fade_

Anyone know where exactly the $10 voucher code is? Is it in the baggie with the manuals? Couldnt find one in my packaging.

npa189

Take it to a sony store.

I might after demand has died down, maybe I should just call? making the trip for nothing would just suck. It is working, but a $400 console just shouldn't sound like this. I've been buying Sony gear my whole life, I kinda expect better...

I might after demand has died down, maybe I should just call? making the trip for nothing would just suck. It is working, but a $400 console just shouldn't sound like this. I've been buying Sony gear my whole life, I kinda expect better...

In all likelihood your luck just ran out. All playstations have had their share of issues, YLOD, PS2 disc drive lens, PS1 upside down trick to play games again.

I'd say go whenever you can and call ahead. People have been getting replacements and it's only been out 2 days. Or like you said if it works fine you could just use it for a while until they get lots of stock.

NateDrake

My DS4 randomly stops responding. Was playing Resogun & my movement/aiming wasn't responding. I'm sure it has been brought up in this thread, but is my DS4 broken?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second. HDCP? I've got only an old-ish Bravia 720p TV, and I'm absolutely not sure if it actually supports HDCP. Am I fucked?

I just got done with a chat session with an Amazon rep and she didn't offer me shit. She said all they can do is refund my money and that's all they can do.

So I'm going to hold on to my noisy PS4 until they get more in stock.

Never again, Amazon. Never again.

Bizzquik

So apparently Amazon is doing some type of return/replacement deal

Thanks for the heads-up. I also received that email.

Interesting situation: I spoke to Sony on Friday night (technically early Saturday morning, actually). They are sending me a box that will arrive in 3 - 5 days, and when I send the console itself back that I would receive the fixed or replaced console in 7 - 10 days.

I replied back to the Amazon email, basically rehashing my problem. I'm not sure if that was a dick move or not - I want to know if they can get me a new console sooner.

Once I hear Amazon's ETA, I'll then tell the slower of the two not to bother.

My wrinkle - I purchased the $60 two-year extended warranty on the defective console from Sony. I wonder if Sony would transfer that warranty to the new console if I replaced it, or if I'm now out $60 if I go the route of having Amazon replace it....

Every time you play

I was playing the quick game of 2k14 while it was installing. I use optical set to DTS and I kept losing sound and had to finally just put it to bitstream (?). No issues since it fully installed but haven't played it much, no issues with CoD or Resogun either

It was NBA as well actually. Have it set to dts via optical as well. Where's this bitstream option though? I don't have access to my system atm but ill see if that resolves it when I can

morkie

Neo Member
Pretty much posting to confirm what was said above. I have an issue with the disc drive not accepting discs any more. Also the drive grinds when the system boots, oddly.

So I waited for Playstation support for an hour on the phone, they were super nice but I described the steps I'd taken to troubleshoot so far and he said 'well that's pretty much all I was going to ask you to do, now I need to have you send it in.'

So I need to wait 3-5 days for the box to arrive. Then it'll take a few days to get it to them, get repaired and sent back to me.

I didn't prod him about this but he said 'lately we've been seeing times anywhere from 1 week to month on these repairs'

Odd since it just came out, perhaps he meant overall turn around time for the repair depot?

Then he said that all the calls he had taken were people that had gotten their units from amazon.com and he had heard the same around the call center. Lots of people with amazon.com issues and not many from retail stores. I think I have to take that as speculation rather than starting a 'bad batch! bad batch!' conspiracy. Interesting that he said that, though.

Chatted online to amazon.com, which made me wait in line for 90 seconds. They done exactly as above, filled out a form to have a new ps4 shipped to me. They said I would be contacted via email in the next few days with details on the new unit and returning the old one.

Tonight was my first posts on neogaf too! I joined during the GTA5 launch era, and lurked since. I love it here!

dwix

The running theory in my head now (since the movie is still playing), is that maybe the system being so dependent on PSN and PSN fucking up so bad right now, is causing unforeseen issues

Probably a pie in the sky theory, but the system is stock and not logged in, and the disc is still playing.

I was actually thinking about this too, because the first time my system came on and ejected the disc, I was immediately prompted with a PSN error.

Also, left the system off when I went out tonight (hoping the eject error was fixed) only to come home and see the disc resting, ejected from the ps4.

Please keep me posted on your restore and if you see the issue anymore!

Kitoro

My PS4 seems to be working alright, with a few odd issues here and there.

My main issue right now is that after playing any game, I can no longer access the PSN store off the menu. It just goes to a blank blue screen (sometimes with the wallpaper, sometimes not), and I have to restart the system to gain access to the PSN store.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just got done with a chat session with an Amazon rep and she didn't offer me shit. She said all they can do is refund my money and that's all they can do.

So I'm going to hold on to my noisy PS4 until they get more in stock.

Never again, Amazon. Never again.

How loud is it? After 5 hours mine was about PS3 slim levels of loud, which isn't that much.

ImmutableObject

Neo Member
Mostly okay for me so far, Though I recently started playing Resogun and now my trophies will not sync properly (they seem to show up on my PSN account sometimes)

This is the error code I'm getting NP-32157-8 but there is no mention of it on Sony's error code site.

Worst part is, my Resogun trophies seem to have dissapeared and I can't re-earn them. The trophies do not show up on my PS4 or my PSVita.

So what's the verdict on installing 1.5 via USB? Start the system and set everything up before doing safe mode and installing or just start it for the first time right into safe mode and install before setting up everything?

Saberus

Mostly okay for me so far, Though I recently started playing Resogun and now my trophies will not sync properly (they seem to show up on my PSN account sometimes)

This is the error code I'm getting NP-32157-8 but there is no mention of it on Sony's error code site.

Worst part is, my Resogun trophies seem to have dissapeared and I can't re-earn them. The trophies do not show up on my PS4 or my PSVita.

I would guess its because PSN is still down.. so you can't sync.

Top Bottom