• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

SpecX

I had a minor problem with my PS4 last night, I was playing AC then exited and started up Netflix and it hung up on the initial red Netflix screen. It wouldn't respond to the controller or the power button on the console, and the only option I had was to pull the plug. I think I still had a solid white light on while it was hung, but it was very late and I don't 100% remember.

When I powered back up I got an improper shutdown warning and the PS4 ran a check, then everything seemed to OK. My question is, if it happens again, are there any other options I can try to reset the console without unplugging it?

I had this same issue when I exited the Amazon app last night. The system locked up and wouldn't respond, but the controller light and console light were both still on. I held the power button for 10+ seconds to force shutdown and it did a system scan to make sure nothing corrupted when it came back up. I'm hoping as well this was just an OS issue locking up the system and can be fixed with a firmware update and not anything wrong with the hardware itself.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My ps4 from sony store(shipped via fedex) wasn't even packed with any paddings/bubbles. I really think it's either ups mishandling them or manufacturing defect(most likely case).

This is the box I got from Amazon. Never in hundreds of Amazon packages have I ever had one like this. Thankfully the PS4 seems to work. How can I tell if I have issues?

1116130820.jpg

1116130820a.jpg

prophecy0

I finally got through to Sony support. The rep recommended I try reseating the HDD and re-initializing the system just to be sure. He did tell me that they overnight the coffin, and pay for overnight shipping back to Sony. The console is exchanged on the same day that it is received and overnighted back.

Worst case scenario, I should be without my PS4 for maybe a week.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to successfully link their PS App for Android to their PS4 (wired Internet connection)? My phone isn't seeing my PS4 while it's discoverable ("xx seconds remaining").

I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact my phone is connected via WiFi, and the PS4 is connected to my modem/router combo by wire.

ballerusk

Setting up PS4 - fine.
Updating to 1.50 - fine.
Downloading Resogun - PS4 shuts down midway. Have to unplug and power on, goes into safe mode and restarts.
Resogun seems to have downloaded, I try to play it and gets barely past the title screen before the PS4 shuts down.
Restored the PS4 - same thing happens.
Deleted Resogun.
Put KZ disc in the PS4, file updates. Started KZ after update finished, PS4 shuts down after half a minute.

Could it be the harddrive?

This is no fun :(

Tried the "several hours" initializing, PS4 shut down there as well. On the 2nd try now.

I don't know if this is hardware related (hope not)
  • My set-up - PS4>HDMI (ps3 hdmi cable)TV video, AUDIO PS4>AV RECIEVER optical cable.
  • 1st) PS4 set-up was MODEM>ROUTER> EITHERNET CABLE>PS4
  • UPDATED via PS4 and download everygame
  • 2nd) PS4 start up was , FORMATED , UPDATED via USB, ROUTER> WIFI>PS4
  • I have "less" errors but today is Monday and I can't play without the CE-34878-0 error happens :(

CE-34878-0
I get this every time I play
  • Ghosts (digital) - after 2 games online crash, single player in the 1st cut scene crash with Ghosts I get two erros the 1st one was: video goes black after few seconds says READ DISC ERROR 'image#' and the other was CE-34878-0 (online/offline)
  • BF4 (digital) - right at the menu (but if I sign out then sign in sometimes works -online only)
  • KZ:SF(digital) - every time I try SP or MP it crash right away (sign out trick not working on this one)
  • NBA2K14 (disc) - the only game that I can play, but with optical audio PS4>AV RECEIVER -I get after playing some games a weird nose but when I switch back to the TV audio everything is fine.

Anyone with this?
This is software or hardware?
Thanks in advance!!!

UPDATE: Called Sony they said TURN OFF PS4 > SAFE MODE > option # 5. Rebuild Database> then press option on one game Delete that game and then download the game one by one, AGAIN!!!! damn let me try that, see y'all... ... hmmm I don't know :( (by the way before that I turn OFF Auto-Download Updates etc)

Cru

PS4 was unresponsive. Ended up unplugging the power cord and booted into safe mode. Seems to be working fine now. A little concerned because I haven't had any issues since launch night. GameStop console btw.

jet1911

Is the PSN down or something? I'm trying to update to 1.5 and I'm getting this error (NW-31200-6) Cannot connect to the server in time. The thing is that the download always stop around 50%...

Tried to update via USB and it says that it does not recognise the USB stick with the update on it. Yes I made the folder correctly.

Off to a great start there Sony. :/

EDIT: Ha I had to format my USB stick to FAT32 for it to be recognised... That was needlessly complex.

finalexit

Is the PSN down or something? I'm trying to update to 1.5 and I'm getting this error (NW-31200-6) Cannot connect to the server in time. The thing is that the download always stop around 50%...

Tried to update via USB and it says that it does not recognise the USB stick with the update on it. Yes I made the folder correctly.

Off to a great start there Sony. :/

EDIT: Ha I had to format my USB stick to FAT32 for it to be recognised... That was needlessly complex.

Did you format the stick to fat 32 first?

Edit: didn't see your edit when i quoted.

Mitark

ok now it's time to check the shipment ( 2 PS4 DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone ) , the second PS4 for my brother , going to wait for him so he can check it by himself

going to open 1 and check if there's any defect or anything wrong with it /nervous

j6hHt7GmDJMXo.JPG

jKj5d1Tf0r5kd.JPG

i will report back

Update!

ok everything went better than expected :D noting wrong with my PS4

jNHPwrdmj9iaM.JPG

then updated to 1.50 through USB , i was nervous as fuck here lol

jVHjWVwbl70QC.JPG

i played some Resogun /gorgeous game cant wait to try Killzone

Just to report here

everything is good :D

My PS4 from ( DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone )
Manufactured : Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013
i used my HDMI cable

not really. the worst for him was 140f ? thats 60c.

video cards on pc run around 80c when its packing up heat. and most around 85 to 90c even.

Not at all, getting my GTX670 running at around 55-60C at peak (on air) was a good temp, and that was in a big case with 4 intake and 3 outtake fans.
I'm sure that you're right but it's new and I'm a bit paranoid now with the reports of the Amazon units seeming to have a higher failure rate.

It's something I'm going to try to keep an eye on but I played it for probably 10 hours over the weekend and only experienced one freeze. The built-in heat protection would have kicked in if it was a real problem

zonq

Just to report here

everything is good :D

My PS4 from ( DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone )
Manufactured : Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013
i used my HDMI cable

finally someone adds that information. I think if that information for broken ones would be gathered somewhere (thread, google spreadsheet, etc.) and it was really in batches like reported, you could know easily if you got a (most likely) faulty one or if it should be fine. at least it could give you a first indication

Breemin

My issue with my PS4 is a little strange and I haven't saw this reported by anyone else yet.

When I initially set it up I choose the Optical Audio output, which worked fine.
At a later time I decided to change the audio to output from HDMI and remove the optical cable.
Both go into my Onkyo Surround, and I am sure I did it correctly. Video still showed with HDMI, but sound only continued to come through Optical, and if Optical was unplugged, no sound only video.

When I switched to HDMI sound output, the sound only continued to work from the Optical output... Bug?

Derrick01

Banned
Is there supposed to be some sort of clicking noise when the ps4 restarts (in my case due to the firmware updating process)?

Also I don't know if something went wrong but after it downloaded and installed and rebooted the first time it took me to a black screen where it then...installed again. Then it restarted again with that clicking noise. Everything seems ok now but I thought that was very strange.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is there supposed to be some sort of clicking noise when the ps4 restarts (in my case due to the firmware updating process)?

Also I don't know if something went wrong but after it downloaded and installed and rebooted the first time it took me to a black screen where it then...installed again. Then it restarted again with that clicking noise. Everything seems ok now but I thought that was very strange.

Mine has a small click when it starts up.

Mitark

i thought that clicking noise due to the update and restarting, but i hear that noise everytime i turn off the PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yes that is standard. The clicking is the disk drive. I thought it was weird too.

You're good.

Now the long wait for Sony to make the os fully featured again.

This is the box I got from Amazon. Never in hundreds of Amazon packages have I ever had one like this. Thankfully the PS4 seems to work. How can I tell if I have issues?

1116130820.jpg

Pretty much what my box looked like too, and it only came with one layer of bubble wrap. I imagine the PS4 was sliding all over the place during transit. Makes me wonder if Amazon knew half of them weren't going to work so they just "shit packed" them to save money.

My PS4 has been doing fine though, other than a few bluray skips.
I should also add it is as quiet as a mouse and, from what I can tell with my hands, doesn't get any warmer than my cell phone.

WoolyNinja

The click on power off / on seems to be 100% normal. Any video online of people starting up PS4's has it, and others have mentioned it happening. Nothing to worry about there.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Might be a dumb question, is it OK to use the PS3 power cord with the PS4? I've been using my PS4 for a few days this way and everything is fine so far, but I just want to make sure.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So, I've been trying to listen for this clicking that's been mentioned and I don't get any of that on startup or power-down. Weird.

Enectic

Banned
Welp, add mine to the borked list. BLOD issue seemed to be getting worse (sometimes it took 2 - 3 tries of starting/restarting to boot up) so I decided to go ahead and give Sony a call. Very pleasant experience though and I should receive my box tomorrow. They assured me that as soon as mine was received I would be getting a completely new console. My suggestion to those experiencing any kind of issues is to not risk it, go ahead and give Sony a call and set up a replacement.

sol_bad

Not hardware related at all but I didn't know where else to ask.
Does anyone now why you can't change video quality on the Hulu app for PS4?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So, I've been trying to listen for this clicking that's been mentioned and I don't get any of that on startup or power-down. Weird.

WoolyNinja

Are you completely shutting down or just putting it in standby.

When I completely shut it down/boot it up I get a somewhat loud single click, then the fan kicks in.

Derrick01

Banned
Glad to hear the clicking is normal. It's kind of startling to hear that with all of these reports of dead consoles. I'm on edge enough as it is.

It's not all good though. After my internet connection went out repeatedly while trying to download Resogun my PS4 seems to have lost the connection to my modem and can't lock back on to it. I even turned the console off and back on and it still can't sign in.

Phreaker

Has anyone experienced no audio when ps4 wakes up from standby? Happened twice now...to fix it I just put it into standby and wake it up again. Hopefully that's a software issue.

It still sends audio to the controller but no audio to my TV until I sleep and wake it up again.

I don't want to return it if this is just a software bug that will be fixed with an update.

This is interesting. I have had a couple occasions where I was not getting audio and I had to change the input on my AV receive to HDMI 2 and then back to HDMI 1 to get audio again. I am not sure if that was after resuming the system from sleep, but I'll try that when I get home.

Ooccoo

I'm fucking annoyed. Tried to update to 1.50 for a few hours now. Always stops the download with a Network error. I managed to download the file but it got stuck on "preparing to install". This is BS, and no I don't have a USB drive available.

rabhw

Anyone else have a problem where the HDMI audio wont work when you start the PS4 up but a restart makes it work again?

Had it happen to me only once so far since i've had the PS4.

I hope this is a firmware problem and not a hardware problem...

This is a giant thread but I posted the same issue somewhere in here.

No solution, but you aren't alone. My feeling is that it is a firmware issue, but I don't have any evidence of such.

funcojoe

Just got mine earlier, updated firmware, installed bf4 and system crashes during campaign. Tried 4 more times still crashes the ps4, actually made it boot in safe mode.

He's not completely right. Blinking blue light does NOT absolutely mean it's an HDMI problem. As a matter of fact, it seems to me that it is more likely to be a general hardware problem. Yes, it can mean HDMI, but that seems like the minority.

I tested my DOA one with an HDMI split dongle. This little dongle splits one male output to three female input (so you can hookup three things to one port). It has a little red light on it that will indicate which input it's on, this switches automatically when it gets a signal. My BLOD PS4 will trigger that switch, and it will hold it (if I activate something else, it won't switch to it until I power off the PS4). This means it continues to get a signal of some sort while the PS4 is on. So his theory that it is telling you there is no signal connection is wrong (or at least not always true).

If it's a flashing blue light and won't boot to safe mode, it's fucked and there is nothing you are going to do about it.

I actually did the same thing. Hooked it up to an HDMI switch. The light on the switch turns on as soon as I switch on the PS4, so it's receiving some sort of signal. Oh well, I've pretty much given up. Will send it back to Amazon for a refund (they won't exchange it since I'm outside the US), wait for the Xbox One next week and eventually get a PS4 when they are available locally. :-/

Sometimes I get dialogue in Assassin's Creed, Killzone, and Knack through my speakers. Sometimes I don't get dialogue audio. I get music, and sound effects audio just fine, but the dialogue audio is sporadic. It works all the time with headphones through the controller, but only occasionally through the television (using HDMI). During Assassin's Creed, I had audio for speech cut off halfway though a mission...

Bizarre.

Schrade

Guys, any "click" you may hear on startup is probably just the hard disk head unparking itself.

You should hear that same click when the system shuts off power to the hard drive as well.

It's normal.

The head parks itself when not spinning to prevent damage to the platters if there's a shock when moving it.

Schrade

I'm fucking annoyed. Tried to update to 1.50 for a few hours now. Always stops the download with a Network error. I managed to download the file but it got stuck on "preparing to install". This is BS, and no I don't have a USB drive available.

Before you attempt to update the firmware, try booting into the Safe Mode and select the option to Initialize the system Only. I think it's option 6? Anyhow... once you do that, then your system will be formatted and wiped. Do the minimal you need to do to get back into the OS (don't enter any PSN information) and connected to your network. Then download the firmware and install it.

I'd actually recommend the method that I outlined pages ago where you Initialize the PS4 and Reinstall the System software but that requires a USB drive.

Porkepik

Holy crap. At least Amazon USA uses bubble wrap. All we Canucks get (in Ontario at least) is some shitty paper.

ps4_zps4b5825a7.jpg

Yep exactly how I got mine today (montreal)...and the outer box was dinged in a few places.what shitty packaging..but everything seems fine, watched blu ray, netflix dl and played free ps+ games ans assasin s creed 4 :) happy

Loto

Mine did that too. I shut down and restarted my ps4. Then clicked on downloads and I was able to install that way.

____

Ok, Amazon shipped new BF4 Bundle, turned on PS4 and it booted right up. Finished settings and updating to 1.50 now. All seems very fast and responsive.

I think I finally got lucky!

The last two times I've tried to use Netflix the PS4 has completely hardlocked. I don't understand. The controller won't work, I can't exit out of the application, etc. Nothing. What is the best way to make sure the PS4 is reset properly? I don't want to unplug it, but do I have a choice?

Top Bottom