• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

So does anyone else's optic cable feel like it barely fits the port? It's so loose on mine. I thought it might be the one end of the cable but nope, reversed it and same thing. Anyone else have this problem?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This is the box I got from Amazon. Never in hundreds of Amazon packages have I ever had one like this. Thankfully the PS4 seems to work. How can I tell if I have issues?

Mine was exactly the same. It only had some brown paper in the box as padding. No issues with my PS4 on my end though. *knock on wood*

Steel

Banned
The last two times I've tried to use Netflix the PS4 has completely hardlocked. I don't understand. The controller won't work, I can't exit out of the application, etc. Nothing. What is the best way to make sure the PS4 is reset properly? I don't want to unplug it, but do I have a choice?

Hold down power button.

Has anyone been able to successfully link their PS App for Android to their PS4 (wired Internet connection)? My phone isn't seeing my PS4 while it's discoverable ("xx seconds remaining").

I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact my phone is connected via WiFi, and the PS4 is connected to my modem/router combo by wire.

Had the same issue. I took my PS4 off a DMZ and it found it. Weird, but check your router settings.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think there are any lasting effects of yanking the power cord. PS4 will boot into safe mode to verify disks like any other pc since 1998 and that's that. Unless you are installing firmware you should be fine.

I'm so happy to see Sony overnighting coffins and amazon shipping replacements out fast. Let's get this shit cleaned up, Sony.

Okay just got mine. It boots up okay and the hdmi is snug.

Problem is it's the harddrive it came with... I don't have one I want to put in and the system did come with the screw. No visible signs of damage to the system or the harddrive. Any fixes on this?

Kevitivity

I had this same issue when I exited the Amazon app last night. The system locked up and wouldn't respond, but the controller light and console light were both still on. I held the power button for 10+ seconds to force shutdown and it did a system scan to make sure nothing corrupted when it came back up. I'm hoping as well this was just an OS issue locking up the system and can be fixed with a firmware update and not anything wrong with the hardware itself.

Sounds like your issue could very well be network or OS related. Hard to tell.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So my controller is broken essentially. No longer works wirelessly (I am assuming this is because it can no longer retain a charge). I heard the ps4 controller acts as a wired controller, but even when I use that, it randomly disconnects. Also the lightbar no longer lights up...

This sucks. Hopefully I can get a replacement controller from support real quick.

edit: speaker is not functioning either, man this sucks.

Edit 2: Now I gotta ship the controller out on my own dime and wait for a replacement, BAD SONY!

Kevitivity

Okay just got mine. It boots up okay and the hdmi is snug.

Problem is it's the harddrive it came with... I don't have one I want to put in and the system did come with the screw. No visible signs of damage to the system or the harddrive. Any fixes on this?

You're saying your system didn't come with a hard drive?

jhawk6

Ok, Amazon shipped new BF4 Bundle, turned on PS4 and it booted right up. Finished settings and updating to 1.50 now. All seems very fast and responsive.

I think I finally got lucky!

Wait till you try to play BF4...your luck may just run out :p

Owzers

i caved and hooked up my other ps4 i got from best buy to compare the two, one was manufactured in august, the other september. Both sound equally loud, above a slim, mostly below 60GB ps3 and launch 360, especially in sheer angry volume. I installed NBA 2k14 on both, listened to how they sounded during and after installation, both the same.

aparisi2274

Hey All, QQ about a new PS4.

My friend received his in the mail today, and he connected it using the supplied HDMI cable from Sony, powered it on, and the system beeped 3 times, but no light ever appeared on the system, and he can not get any video...

Do you know if that might be a bad HDMI cable? Or a bad system? I had him look at the HDMI port to see if there the piece of metal sticking up, but he said no.

Any ideas? Again, this is just 3 beeps and no indicator light.

Anyone else find it annoying that when you send messages on PS4, Vita, and the PlayStation app that your messages go to your inbox on your PS3? I find that really stupid and I hate having a full inbox on PS3.

gossi

Hey All, QQ about a new PS4.

My friend received his in the mail today, and he connected it using the supplied HDMI cable from Sony, powered it on, and the system beeped 3 times, but no light ever appeared on the system, and he can not get any video...

Do you know if that might be a bad HDMI cable? Or a bad system? I had him look at the HDMI port to see if there the piece of metal sticking up, but he said no.

Any ideas? Again, this is just 3 beeps and no indicator light.

Three bleeps = fan failure. Phone Sony, DOA.

Has anyone seen this? according to this guy, the thermal paste was already drying up. Possible solution for people with their fans going nuts. I did this with my PS3 and it did wonders for sound levels, my fan never kicked up after replacing the paste. That being said it's way too damn early for the console to need this kind of maintenance. I would have my unit replaced immediately, interesting video nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyz0rdMpqOM

Atomsky

Banned
Just got my PS4 today. When trying to switch in my SSHD, I got some problem and experience that I wish to share with the rest of you.

Basically, the PS4 is very picky on the USB you use for safe mode firmware installation. I have two USB disks, one Lexar 8GB and the other Lexar 32GB. NONE of them worked under the safe mode. When I tried to resintall the system software, the PS4 would report errors, the controller would become unresponsive as well, and I had to force the PS4 to turn off by holding the power button.

I was in the dark for a couple of minutes until my friend hinted that I should try to use the PSP. I then grabbed my long-asleep PSP, dropped the update file into its MSD, and boom, it worked.

I guess at this early stage, the drivers for various USB devices are too poor and all kinds of weird stuff would happen if we try third party devices. Hope this helps some of you.

Also, my sound system, Sony HTSS360, couldn't get a stable HDMI handshake with the PS4 BEFORE the 1.50 update. It kept flickering and it was impossible to operate in that way. So I did a direct connect to my monitor and everything became stable, then I was able to proceed with the safe mode update. However after the update, there was literally no problem between my HTSS360 and the PS4. Everything works like a charm now.

Venturer

Just got my PS4 today. When trying to switch in my SSHD, I got some problem and experience that I wish to share with the rest of you.

Basically, the PS4 is very picky on the USB you use for safe mode firmware installation. I have two USB disks, one Lexar 8GB and the other Lexar 32GB. NONE of them worked under the safe mode. When I tried to resintall the system software, the PS4 would report errors, the controller would become unresponsive as well, and I had to force the PS4 to turn off by holding the power button.

Did you format the memory sticks to fat32?

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
How warm do your PS4's get? I had mine on for a few hours (playing resogun, KZ, knack) and noticed that upon touching the top of the unit (the matte side) it was definitely warm (not hot, but quite warm).

Is this normal? I have a lot of space in my entertainment center...and putting my hand behind the unit, there is a lot of heat coming from the back.

I also noticed that their appears to be hidden vents on the side, but the air coming out of there is very cool...

Vandiger

How warm do your PS4's get? I had mine on for a few hours (playing resogun, KZ, knack) and noticed that upon touching the top of the unit (the matte side) it was definitely warm (not hot, but quite warm).

Is this normal? I have a lot of space in my entertainment center...and putting my hand behind the unit, there is a lot of heat coming from the back.

I also noticed that their appears to be hidden vents on the side, but the air coming out of there is very cool...

Its gets warm but once its in standby mode for several minutes its cool to touch. The only thing I'm worried about is firmware that will break my system or the disc drive failing at some point :D

barrier2entry11

Neo Member
So I just got off the phone with playstation support. Apparently, if I send it in for service, it will be another month before I have a working ps4.

So I'll just return it to Amazon and hope to get another one in store. The xbone is looking kinda tempting now, not going to lie.

I would open up the back of your entertainment center, you're not allowing the air to fully discharge. If you can, cut a slot or two in the back directly behind it.

Atomsky

Banned

My PS4 spews very hot air from the back - which is a good sign, because all the heat generated by the chips was all transferred to the heatsink and then blew out of the chasis.

If the wind is not hot, it might be bad thermal paste, or loosen heat sink, which would be very bad.

OK, so I skimmed most of this thread and didn't see what I'm experiencing...

Now this happens ONLY when I start up the system from a complete power down...

When I go to put it on I hear a loud "POP" almost like a piece of popcorn popping...

Has this happened to anyone else or anyone know if this is a bad sign? Other than that my system works pretty much perfectly..

OK, so I skimmed most of this thread and didn't see what I'm experiencing...

Now this happens ONLY when I start up the system from a complete power down...

When I go to put it on I hear a loud "POP" almost like a piece of popcorn popping...

Has this happened to anyone else or anyone know if this is a bad sign? Other than that my system works pretty much perfectly..

it's the disc drive clicking. i think that's i.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I would open up the back of your entertainment center, you're not allowing the air to fully discharge. If you can, cut a slot or two in the back directly behind it.

There is quite a bit of space behind it, there is also a decent sized hole at the top of the entertainment center where wires come in, and I had my ps3 slim there for years with no problems. But maybe I will do it, we will see. I could also move the ps4 closer to the front...

Not really a PS4 issue per se, but is there a reason my Twitch broadcasts aren't saving? Made sure it was checked in the options menu..

Havok

Well, I think my disc drive is toast. Ejected Battlefield earlier, and the system wouldn't accept another disc. Kept trying via restarts and system wipes and it finally took one in, but then wouldn't read it. Ejected it just fine, but was making grinding noises while it was in there and now if I try to insert a disc it'll suck it in about half way and just whirr while slowly rotating the disc. Great!

September manufacture date, Yantai. No Sony store in my state, so I guess I'll be on hold for the rest of my life.

Edit: after about 40 minutes on hold with Sony, I contacted Amazon through their chat and the guy is setting up a replacement console. Took about ten minutes with Amazon.

Has anyone seen this? according to this guy, the thermal paste was already drying up. Possible solution for people with their fans going nuts. I did this with my PS3 and it did wonders for sound levels, my fan never kicked up after replacing the paste. That being said it's way too damn early for the console to need this kind of maintenance. I would have my unit replaced immediately, interesting video nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyz0rdMpqOM

I tested my PS4 with an IR thermometer while idle and the temperature is 110 degrees in spots on the top of the case while horizontal.

That's probably normal but I just ordered some artic silver from Amazon so I can redo the paste. I'll get some before and after readings just to see if it really makes a difference.

Prezhulio

So I got a second dualshock 4, and I've noticed while it charges it pulses orange....but the one that came withe ps4 has never done that. It charges, but just stays blue. Anyone else experiencing this?

I ve also noticed that it doesn't charge in standby, is that supposed to be the case? Haven't had a chance tot dry and charge the new ds4 in stand by yet so not sure.

Kvik

Of course I did.

I was in the dark for a couple of minutes until my friend hinted that I should try to use the PSP. I then grabbed my long-asleep PSP, dropped the update file into its MSD, and boom, it worked.

I guess at this early stage, the drivers for various USB devices are too poor and all kinds of weird stuff would happen if we try third party devices. Hope this helps some of you.

Curious. So you basically connect your PSP via USB and update. It's kinda neat. But as you said, it's probably a driver issue. Could be the voltage running on the ports is less than 5v.

Atomsky

Banned
Curious. So you basically connect your PSP via USB and update. It's kinda neat. But as you said, it's probably a driver issue. Could be the voltage running on the ports is less than 5v.

I just tried to copy some game saves onto these non-working USB drives. Both showed "This drive has been locked", but obviously they are not. Totally weird.

jbartee

Replacement PS4 (Knack bundle I jumped on when they went up Friday night) arrived today and seems to be working perfectly. Played games all day, super happy. Hopefully BLOD has been banished forever.

One thing I'm wondering about- the mic input on my controller doesn't seem to be working properly. The jack works fine for playing audio but when I try to stream on twitch the mic on the included headset is unresponsive, even though I've ticked the "enable mic" checkbox. Anyone else run into this? OS problem, controller problem, or something I've misunderstood?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Replacement PS4 (Knack bundle I jumped on when they went up Friday night) arrived today and seems to be working perfectly. Played games all day, super happy. Hopefully BLOD has been banished forever.

One thing I'm wondering about- the mic input on my controller doesn't seem to be working properly. The jack works fine for playing audio but when I try to stream on twitch the mic on the included headset is unresponsive, even though I've ticked the "enable mic" checkbox. Anyone else run into this? OS problem, controller problem, or something I've misunderstood?
I had this but I had to...ugh...push it in further...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't think there are any lasting effects of yanking the power cord. PS4 will boot into safe mode to verify disks like any other pc since 1998 and that's that. Unless you are installing firmware you should be fine.

I'm so happy to see Sony overnighting coffins and amazon shipping replacements out fast. Let's get this shit cleaned up, Sony.

amazon shipping out replacements?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has anyone had a problem when starting up their PS4 (from standby, specifically), where the PS screen doesn't come up, the screen just flashes from black to gray? It's almost like the HDMI handshake isn't being completed. The lights on the system go from blue to white, so I feel like the console started up fine, there was just no picture.

A restart has always fixed it, but it's happened randomly a couple times. Once the screen flashed between black and gray, and once between black and scrambled noise. I looked at my hdmi port, it seems fine.

Has this happened for anyone else?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I dunno. I thought I had it in all the way and then I pushed harder and it clicked. Then there is a little nub on the headset that I had to make sure was in the on position.

Some people have gotten replacements from Amazon already.

Already since friday? how? i have to call amazon.

Top Bottom