• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

what firmware? DL the latest
purchased from where? Amazon
what is your A/V set up like? 46 inch plasma 1080p
what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? yes
can you hear audio? yes

I just started installing killzone and my ps4 is emitting a horrible and unnatural buzzing noise. Is thing normal? I have it on a flat surface.

Brandson

Just turned on my ps4 for the first time. The light goes white but my 720p tv doesn't display a signal. It detects something on the hdmi input but won't display anything. Do I need to connect to a 1080p tv first to switch the ps4 to 720p before it will work with this tv?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just turned on my ps4 for the first time. The light goes white but my 720p tv doesn't display a signal. It detects something on the hdmi input but won't display anything. Do I need to connect to a 1080p tv first to switch the ps4 to 720p before it will work with this tv?

Will your PS3 work on the TV? It might have an HDCP issue, in which case it won't work until they patch it out of PS4.

Maximus.

Man I was tripping out when I set up my console. HDMI didnt slide in smooth at first, froze a couple times resulting in me pulling out the plug. It is fine now though.

-griffy-

Banned
One thing I'm wondering about- the mic input on my controller doesn't seem to be working properly. The jack works fine for playing audio but when I try to stream on twitch the mic on the included headset is unresponsive, even though I've ticked the "enable mic" checkbox. Anyone else run into this? OS problem, controller problem, or something I've misunderstood?
You don't have the mute toggle switch set to mute on the physical mic, do you?

Atomsky

Banned
I have been using a ps3 on this tv for years without issue.

PS3 does not enforce HDCP until it's playing HDCP-protected contents, like BD movies. So TVs with no HDCP support might have dodged that bullet for years, if it's only used for playing games.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
amazon shipping out replacements?

Just decided to give it a try and was told this.

"Ordinarily we would be unable to replace an item that is no longer available from Amazon.com. However, since we know this is an important item, we've created a special process to send out replacement consoles. This process may take several business days. Would you like me to request a replacement console for you?"

So it looks like I might be getting replacement after all. Damn I hope this one works!

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Finally got my import PS3, it's working fine and it's really responsive. Updated it to 1.50, and it's the same version as everyone else, manufactured on September 2013 from this same place (not my pic, but it's the same plant)

5ABcEKa.jpg

UNCMark

Banned
I have PS+ and I have the settings set in such a way that in standby mode it should be uploading saves and downloading game updates. I put the console in standby mode and it refuses to do any of those things. It waits until I start the system up again before it does any of those things. Isnt that what it's supposed to do for non-PS+ members? For PS+ members it should be doing it when I'm not using the console.

Brandson

PS3 does not enforce HDCP until it's playing HDCP-protected contents, like BD movies. So TVs with no HDCP support might have dodged that bullet for years, if it's only used for playing games.

I play more BD movies on my PS3 than I do games. Never had a problem with hundreds of BD movies.

Connecting the PS4 to my Dell monitor worked. I'm updating the PS4 now then I'll try it on the tv again.

meanspartan

So for the second time since Friday, I turned on my PS4 and no sound. Both times I put it in standby, and then turned it on again, and the sound worked fine.

Is this some firmware glitch causing this? Everything else about my unit seems normal and it runs well.

Atomsky

Banned
I play more BD movies on my PS3 than I do games. Never had a problem with hundreds of BD movies.

Connecting the PS4 to my Dell monitor worked. I'm updating the PS4 now then I'll try it on the tv again.

1.50 definitely introduced some HDCP compatibility improvements. My PS4 with factory firmware wouldn't work with my HTSS360.

So for the second time since Friday, I turned on my PS4 and no sound. Both times I put it in standby, and then turned it on again, and the sound worked fine.

Is this some firmware glitch causing this? Everything else about my unit seems normal and it runs well.

Mine did that once. A restart fixed it, hasn't happened since. I've basically stopped worrying about any problems until after the first major patch is released. Once that happens, I'll start worrying about any lingering problems.

Ok so every tv that has a hdmi port is hdcp compliant?

TV yes unless very ancient(before HDCP was mandatory on the output of Blu-Rays etc, ~ mid 2009 i think). I'd be surprised if a domestic TV's HDMI port does not support HDCP. Monitors on the other hand could be questionable, you'd need to refer to the manual.

FWIW HDCP issues will generally show content for 2 seconds or so, often followed by a green flash then a black screen.

UNCMark

Banned

HDMI output from your TV to a receiver that uses the same input as other devices?

Wereroku

I have PS+ and I have the settings set in such a way that in standby mode it should be uploading saves and downloading game updates. I put the console in standby mode and it refuses to do any of those things. It waits until I start the system up again before it does any of those things. Isnt that what it's supposed to do for non-PS+ members? For PS+ members it should be doing it when I'm not using the console.

No I believe they said it does it every night at like 3am. I wish I could set it to a different time though.

erawsd

"Ordinarily we would be unable to replace an item that is no longer available from Amazon.com. However, since we know this is an important item, we've created a special process to send out replacement consoles. This process may take several business days. Would you like me to request a replacement console for you?"

So it looks like I might be getting replacement after all. Damn I hope this one works!

Wow, thanks for the heads up! UPS picked mine up for refund today, but I just spoke with them and got my refund changed to a replacement. She said it may take "several business day".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

i got lied to a few times. There is an order for a replacement for me however one rep ordered a ups pick up for my unit, when i printed out the label to put in the box it said standard refund, so i call amazon back they told me if i had returned it, they would issue a refund and i would not get a replacement, so i have to hold the ps4 for ransom until i get my replacement unit but they dont know when that will be.

edit: good news. in the call to amazon they called sony support. I sort of laughed at the rep because i didnt think they could get through and they did. so now i have a coffin coming tomorrow or the day after overnight they said. Wow i am beside myself as i was on the phone with sony waiting for 2 hours for someone to pick up yesterday.

I posted this in the official topic about 30 seconds ago but found this one, and I figured it's a better fit. Sorry if this is deemed somewhat double posting:

Yeah, there's officially an issue with internet on my PS4.

I move the PS4 to a space right next to the router, the best it can muster is 4 Mbps out of the 10-15 Mbps I'm supposed to get. Every time I test the connection I get a different speed, all the way down to 1.0 Mbps in this setup (that is, literally next to the router). But at the very least it doesn't drop the connection every 10 seconds or less, which I'm getting when I set up the PS4 in the living room a couple of rooms away.

I hook up the PS4 directly to the router via LAN and I'm getting a NAT Type 2 (isn't that for wireless?) and get marginally better connection. The top I ever got in the internet test was 8.0 Mbps, but that was literally once. I hover around 4 Mbps now, and even got it down to 1.0 Mbps. On a LAN connection. This is fucking ridiculous.

All the appropriate ports have been forwarded, as I mentioned before. Does anybody know a customer service number from Sony I can call? I need technical help and to determine if the LAN/Wi-Fi in my console is fucked because it sure is looking like it right about now.

erawsd

i got lied to a few times. There is an order for a replacement for me however one rep ordered a ups pick up for my unit, when i printed out the label to put in the box it said standard refund, so i call amazon back they told me if i had returned it, they would issue a refund and i would not get a replacement, so i have to hold the ps4 for ransom until i get my replacement unit but they dont know when that will be.

Ugh.. hopefully I have better luck. I told the CSR that I had already shipped my item for refund and she told me it was fine and that she would change it to a replacement. When I asked how long it would take she said "several business days". Sony has said they'll have stock for the holidays, so I can't imagine it'll be too long before Amazon starts getting more of them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh.. hopefully I have better luck. I told the CSR that I had already shipped my item for refund and she told me it was fine and that she would change it to a replacement. When I asked how long it would take she said "several business days". Sony has said they'll have stock for the holidays, so I can't imagine it'll be too long before Amazon starts getting more of them.

Yeah same here. I already sent mine back this morning with the refund label inside. The rep said he would change it to a replacement instead but we'll see. If they do give me a refund I'll just ask again and tell them I was promised a replacement that should work I think.(or hope)

Would they send you a replacement while you're still holding onto the old console though? I figured they would wait until they got the broken one back first.

prophecy0

As of today my PS4 will no longer boot to safe mode. I was finally able to get in touch with a Sony representative via their online chat. The coffin is in the mail. I'm hoping to get a replacement PS4 by Saturday, but I have a feeling it will be early-mid next week before I get one.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Yeah same here. I already sent mine back this morning with the refund label inside. The rep said he would change it to a replacement instead but we'll see. If they do give me a refund I'll just ask again and tell them I was promised a replacement that should work I think.(or hope)

Would they send you a replacement while you're still holding onto the old console though? I figured they would wait until they got the broken one back first.

edit: good news. in the call to amazon they called sony support. I sort of laughed at the rep because i didnt think they could get through and they did. so now i have a coffin coming tomorrow or the day after overnight they said. Wow i am beside myself as i was on the phone with sony waiting for 2 hours for someone to pick up yesterday.

The sony rep tried to sell me the accidental plan, but i told him i might think about it once i get a working system.

So now i have to tell the ups coming to pick up my ps4 to go away and wait for fedex to bring my coffin. sigh what we go though for console launches.

Tried detaching and reattaching the HDMI cable, but I'm still only getting music and sound effects and NO SPEECH. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've tried different HDMI cables and ports, and I've changed the settings on the PS4 a few times, and this problem keeps happening. I can hear speech in games via the headphones, but not through the television. I'd think that if there was an actual sound problem, it would affect all the sound, not just the speech in games. Right now, I have to play everything via headphones or else I can't hear anyone talking (and I'm not referring to voice chat; I am specifically having no in-game dialogue in cutscenes and through NPCs).

jbartee

I dunno. I thought I had it in all the way and then I pushed harder and it clicked. Then there is a little nub on the headset that I had to make sure was in the on position.

Thanks! That's totally all it was. Required a surprising amount of force.

Surfheart

I've been reading an Australian gaming forum over here where people are discussing their import PS4s. Of the 21 that have received units 3 have been faulty.

That's a ~15% failure rate.. not too good...

Apoc87

Banned
Firmware v1.50

Purchased from Gamestop

HDMI Cable

My problem really isnt that big of a deal, I just wanted to know if anyone is having the same issue.

When booting from standby mode, sometimes I don't have any audio. I have to quit all apps and completely turn off the ps4 and turn it back on. Audio comes back every time, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and do you think its a hardware issue, or something they can patch in.

Anyone?

Ok so I just got done playing a match of Battlefield 4 and after the match was finished I tried to leave the lobby and my ps4 froze. The white light is still on but my ps4 home button is unresponsive, and I tried holding the power button but nothing happens. Anybody have a fix? I'm waiting for a sony rep on the phone now, I'm not trying to pull the plug.

Called sony and took care of it, just had to hold the button about 2 seconds longer to power down, then booted the system in safety mode.

King326

Posted in other thread. Why does the UI have such a low resolution. Ive tried different hdmi cables and output settings. 1080 looks like and AV cable display.

meanspartan

Yes! Me!

I posted a few posts up with this exact same issue.

Twice since I got the system it has not had audio after exiting standby mode, and rebooting fixes it.

I think it is probably some sort of firmware bug. But honestly, it has happened so infrequently (twice out of maybe 20-30 times I have taken the PS4 out of standby since I got it) that I don't really care about it, so long as it doesn't get worse and/or is symptomatic of other more serious issues to come.

So I got a second dualshock 4, and I've noticed while it charges it pulses orange....but the one that came withe ps4 has never done that. It charges, but just stays blue. Anyone else experiencing this?

I ve also noticed that it doesn't charge in standby, is that supposed to be the case? Haven't had a chance tot dry and charge the new ds4 in stand by yet so not sure.

Maybe it stays blue because it is being used?

Check under power settings to make sure it charges while in standby mode.

ballerusk

My imported PS4 shuts down when I try to install or play a game. No beeps or warning, just a click of some sort as it shuts down. It then won't turn back on before I wait a few minutes.

WTF is this? I learned my lesson then, trying to import :(

Hmm my PS4 seems to be overheating a lot. I moved it to a completely open area but if it happens again I'll probably have to call Sony and ask to replace the thermal paste or something with the fan as everything else about the console works perfectly.

The area I had it before was open and had good air flow. I was playing Resogun for about 1 hour before it beeped and shutdown on me. It got really loud too. I'm hopeing its just a fan problem that can be solved without replacing the entire console.

Top Bottom