• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Redx508

Hey guys. My ps4 has done this weird thing where it turns itself on and ejects whatever disc is inside refusing to take it back. Seemed to fix itself the first two times but after this third time I just need a replacement.

Anyone know the number I call?

Do they send me the Ps4 first or an empty box?

How long will it take to receive my new PS4?

I have the same thing sending it in this week.

MGR

Fix the PS4 auto-eject issue

What you will need:

A well-lit room with a table to work on
A slender Phillips-head screwdriver (jeweler's screwdrivers work best)
A small flashlight (optional)

Step 1: Remove the glossy section of the cover

Turn off the PS4.
Unplug the power, HDMI, and any other cables from the back of your PS4 system.
On a clean, flat, surface place the PS4 in front of you so the front of the system is on the left. (The PS logo on the top of the PS4 should be right side up.)

TfwEosw.jpg

Place you palms on the glossy panel and let your fingers rest on the far side of the console.

wbHvxij.jpg

Apply moderate, even pressure near the seam with your palms, and using your fingers as leverage, slide the glossy panel away from you.

Nd0O3vX.jpg

A click will be heard, and the panel will move about 1/4". Lift the panel off starting from the left side.

F3g2moF.jpg

Step 2: Locate the manual eject screw & remove the disc

With the glossy panel removed, you will see two sets of vents lining the outer left edge. Follow the slot from the front locate the first "single" slot (it's the slot not grouped with any other slots)

Sv7MFNg.jpg

Shine a light down through this slot to locate the manual eject screw

ful6xw3.jpg

Slide the small screw driver into the vent slot and turn the screw about 1/4 turn clockwise.

*NOTE: you can also manually retrieve a stuck disc by continuously turning this screw anti-clockwise.

Xt5Njw8.jpg

Step 3: Put everything back together

Replace the glossy panel. Place it over the exposed section of the PS4, about 1/4 of inch away from the seam. Then, slide the panel towards seam until it clicks into place.

I65ZN0M.jpg

Connect the HDMI, power, and any other cables that were disconnected in Step 1.
Power on the PS4 to make sure everything is functioning properly.

What you will need:

Step 1: Remove the glossy section of the cover

Turn off the PS4.
Unplug the power, HDMI, and any other cables from the back of your PS4 system.
On a clean, flat, surface place the PS4 in front of you so the front of the system is on the left. (The PS logo on the top of the PS4 should be right side up.)

TfwEosw.jpg

Place you palms on the glossy panel and let your fingers rest on the far side of the console.

wbHvxij.jpg

Apply moderate, even pressure near the seam with your palms, and using your fingers as leverage, slide the glossy panel away from you.

Nd0O3vX.jpg

A click will be heard, and the panel will move about 1/4". Lift the panel off starting from the left side.

F3g2moF.jpg

Step 2: Locate the manual eject screw & remove the disc

With the glossy panel removed, you will see two sets of vents lining the outer left edge. Follow the slot from the front locate the first "single" slot (it's the slot not grouped with any other slots)

Sv7MFNg.jpg

Shine a light down through this slot to locate the manual eject screw

ful6xw3.jpg

Slide the small screw driver into the vent slot and turn the screw about 1/4 turn clockwise.

*NOTE: you can also manually retrieve a stuck disc by continuously turning this screw anti-clockwise.

Xt5Njw8.jpg

Step 3: Put everything back together

Replace the glossy panel. Place it over the exposed section of the PS4, about 1/4 of inch away from the seam. Then, slide the panel towards seam until it clicks into place.

I65ZN0M.jpg

Connect the HDMI, power, and any other cables that were disconnected in Step 1.
Power on the PS4 to make sure everything is functioning properly.

Holy crap! What does this fix exactly?

Edit: I also noticed each time I "fixed" it, it was because I stood my PS4 up. Does that have something to do with the screw? How is the screw making the PS4 turn and auto eject and thus making the PS4 think someone is still trying to eject?

What you will need:

I noticed my screw to be very loose to the point where I touch it slightly and it moves. Is it supposed to be like or do I tighten it?

Redx508

only time i get the auto eject is when i move my ps4 to dust it out after a few mins of putting it back it would power on and eject.also the screw was loose all the time. sent it in to sony

MGR

I noticed my screw to be very loose to the point where I touch it slightly and it moves. Is it supposed to be like or do I tighten it?

I suspect the screw feels 'loose' because it's spring loaded and doesn't actually affect any of the internal workings of the drive unless it's pressed and turned. Adjusting the screw clockwise probably assists in resetting the 'home' position of the drive.

WVDA4YO.jpg

This is the root of the problem. All of the anecdotal 'fixes' on the internet rely on the chance that this screw/drive sensor is being moved (even slightly) in the process.

- Turning it on it's side
- Reloading firmware
- Removing the rubber foot
- Hitting the console
etc

In my opinion it's still a design fault and consumers have every right to send the console back to Sony for 'repair'. But how do they fix it? By adjusting the screw or replacing the drive? And if they do replace the drive, does the replacement drive have the same design flaw?

I'd say most people will just be happy that a 2 minute fix gets the console running again.

thenexus6

Not exactly hardware but figured i'd still ask..

So the wireless signal in my room isn't great, my laptop is perfectly fine I watch netflix, youtube do whatever. My phone is hit or miss (mostly miss) because of this my PS4 is connected via ethernet. Whenever my PS4 is powered on, even just on the main menu something happens because my connection on my laptop, phone becomes almost unusable. I don't know why.. I can't even load 10 second clips on youtube without it buffering to hell.

I leave my PS4 mostly on standby when i'm not using it - and my computer and stuff work as normal.

So the third time in a week (twice before 1.7, and once after) when I try to go into standby the system just pulses the white light and doesn't turn off. I've left it overnight and its still sitting there flashing white. The disc can eject fine and I can insert it even and it spins up, but I have to hold the power button down to shut off and boot into safe mode.
Is my PS4 dying?

So the third time in a week (twice before 1.7, and once after) when I try to go into standby the system just pulses the white light and doesn't turn off. I've left it overnight and its still sitting there flashing white. The disc can eject fine and I can insert it even and it spins up, but I have to hold the power button down to shut off and boot into safe mode.
Is my PS4 dying?

I turned off everything this update had turned on. Even deep color being off fixed my audio issues but we have no clue why that even made the slightest sense but it fixed a lot of issues people have been having.

Good luck!

K' Dash

Gold Member
I'm not one to use Live from PlayStation frequently, today I was looking for some Daylight streams, then I wanted to put my PS4 on standby and noticed that holding the PS button on the DS4 wasn't doing anything, apart from that everything seemed normal in the dashboard, so I get up and turn it off manually and as it was putting itself on Standby I hear 3 beeps, I went to buy some food.

After lunch I tried the PS button, now everything works perfectly, so I try to recreate the issue, go to Live from PS, make a search, whatch the list of streams and lo and behold, the hold function from PS button is fucked up again, the I launch Child of light and the game took a while to load, more than usual, now in game the PS button does not work, but I could play the game a bit, now with the PS button not functioning at all, I get up, turn off my console manually, 3 beeps again.

No more Live from PS for me...

Since yesterday I've been having issues with broadcasting from my PS4 to where my broadcasts don't show up on Live From PlayStation, friend's feeds, and even the PS4 broadcast list on twitch. This isn't normal and I'm not sure if it's a Twitch issue or a issue with the PS4's latest update.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I was able to fix it but since the game froze during the stream (Outlast), I had to restart the broadcast thus creating the problem again. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Footos22

Has 1.7 given anyone else trouble with their disc drive.

Twice now ive turned it on and its instantly done the three beep sound it makes, like your trying to eject a disc with nothing in the drive. Sometimes multiple times then every 10 seconds or so you can hear the eject mechanism moving without any beeps.
Turning off, unplugging it and turning back on works but its done it a few times now. Cant play any of my physical copies as will just get annoyed if it keeps ejecting.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not:

My Dualshock 4 controller seems to not like topping off the battery's charge. I.E., the controller only likes to be charged if the battery indicator on the screen shows a battery charge level of 2/3 bars or less. wtf?

Example: I'll fully charge the controller, play a few games for a bit (let's say an hour), end my gaming session for the time being (the controller is still showing full bars, but it's definitely gotten use because I've been playing an hour)...and notice that when I try to leave the controller to charge (regardless of whether the system is on or on stand-by) it...won't?

Anybody else?

Grinchy

Banned
Every time I turn on my PS4, I see this in my notifications:

ps4failsqdas2.jpg

It's a list of all the auto uploads it failed to do while the system was in standby. If I click on it and tell it to upload manually, it goes through just fine. It's not a huge issue but it doesn't make any sense to me why it would be happening.

Not a troubleshoot but an observation. I bought a new hard drive and wanted to replace the existing one. I shut down the console, and removed all power cables. Lo and behold, PS4 turns on for the next 5 seconds that you unplug it from the wall. Freaked me the fuck out when that happened!

I'm sure the power supply holds enough power to turn it on before realizing it doesn't have enough power.

I am too scared to try this again!

ps4failsqdas2.jpg

It's a list of all the auto uploads it failed to do while the system was in standby. If I click on it and tell it to upload manually, it goes through just fine. It's not a huge issue but it doesn't make any sense to me why it would be happening.

I have the same problem. It started after I replaced my hard drive. Not sure if inter-related or the new firmware issue.

all I know is that it's happening to many people, if not everyone.

Grinchy

Banned
I knew it was happening to my brother and I've seen it mentioned here or there on the forum but I didn't know it was so widespread. I really like knowing that my saves are backed up to the cloud at all times so I hope Sony fixes this shit, Guerilla.

mf luder

ps4failsqdas2.jpg

I got a similar message but with download of killzone, error code nw-31250-1. So annoying, why does it always wait till its nearly finished to corrupt.

SZips

I've had that exact same issue (about the online save uploads) for the past few days now. I mainly have it with Bound by Flame.

I actually was just looking into this before seeing this thread. There was one suggestion someone on the PlayStation forums had which involved deleting the online saves for the affected game and then manually uploading the local saves again.

Unfortunately that fix really didn't work for most people that tried it.

I do notice that my PS4 initially tells me that it's unable to connect to the network first thing upon turning it on but it connects just fine half a second later. I have no idea what's going on and it's only started since the most recent FW update.

ps4failsqdas2.jpg

Its been happening to plenty including myself, also my vibration doesn't work, have to re-sync controller, they really need to fix this, its so annoying, whats taking so long?

OSHAN

Anyone have any strange HDMI handshake issues with the PS4? I have an Onkyo SR 705 so it is a bit older, but the PS4 has started to have these intermittent handshake issues where the video and audio cuts in and out. I have a PS3 and a Wii U hooked up via HDMI to this receiver as well and have no problems.

Tried swapping ports and replacing cables and same problem. When hooked directly to the TV, I experience no HDMI issues with the PS4. Thoughts?

KOHIPEET

I need the help of Gaf.

My PS4 started producing some interesting symptoms recently. Here's how it looks:

I play a game. Everything's working perfectly. I turn it off with the disc still in the machine. I turn it in and the disc isn't recognized. It cannot be removed and the machine cannot be turned off or put into standby. It flashes white and stays on. The way to turn it off is to plug the power cord out (ouch.) This is how it happened for the first time.

It also happened for a second time. This time no disc was left in the machine, but when I put it in, the disc isn't recognized. It didn't even start spinning.

Everything else works perfectly. It's silent, no other sounds or symptoms. At least not that I can recognize. I've recently purchased BF4 (the retail version) can that cause problems? I mean it sounds ridiculous, but hey, it's BF after all.

So the question is. Did anyone else had a problem like this? Is this a hardware-related problem, or is it caused by some kind of software bug? Is there a solution to it?

Thanks for any kind of help in advance. It would be very much appreciated.

Anyone have any strange HDMI handshake issues with the PS4? I have an Onkyo SR 705 so it is a bit older, but the PS4 has started to have these intermittent handshake issues where the video and audio cuts in and out. I have a PS3 and a Wii U hooked up via HDMI to this receiver as well and have no problems.

Tried swapping ports and replacing cables and same problem. When hooked directly to the TV, I experience no HDMI issues with the PS4. Thoughts?

I had a similar issue. I still had my warranty so I sent my PS4 in to get fix/replace or whatever they do.

i have rare handshaking issues with all the devices that are plugged into my receiver. simply switching the inputs back and forth fixes it.

Just a heads up, that screw fix doesnt always fix the auto eject problem. I did that fix and my system actually got worse. Its so bad now that I can hardly use it at all. Sony has a coffin coming my way in the next few days.

Esqueleto

Banned
Just a heads up, that screw fix doesnt always fix the auto eject problem. I did that fix and my system actually got worse. Its so bad now that I can hardly use it at all. Sony has a coffin coming my way in the next few days.
Have you tried pushing the rubber foot next to the button back?

WhupTroy

Banned
So, this is weird....sometimes when I put my PS4 into sleep mode, it will, but it also gives me three beeps while doing it. Anyone know what that means? It doesn't happen all the time, maybe like 3-4 times a week, but it's still concerning.

Kssio_Aug

^ So how do I stop that stupid "can't upload save" data thing? It's annoying me!

I guess just waiting for an update. Thats stupid, because they should have released a mior update at the next day to fix those minor problems that 1.7 brought, and still nothing.

shakey

Neo Member
I've been having my PS4 freezing....

Here is what has been happening to mine for the past month, and what I think is the cause, and what I've done to try and alleviate the issue.

I live with 3 Huge dogs. No matter how much I dust, there is constantly a film of dust/hair after a few hours, so I'm sure my PS4 and other electronics are filling with it as well. I make sure to clean everything out weekly, but it isn't always the solution.

My ps4 would hard lock/freeze either while in game, switching apps/games, or when awaking the controller from sleep. The controller would only blink white a few times and turn off. It would never connect, even if I wired it into the ps4. The ps4 would not change light color, it would stay white. The PS4 would not recognize any inputs, Ie: won't eject disc, wont turn off with pressing power. I found that holding the power button for literally, 20 seconds, would cause it to finally restart the console. Upon restarting, it would enter safe mode and run a disk check. Upon restarting, it would sometimes allow me to report the error, but normally wouldn't. Nothing else would seem to be affected.

Now, It normally seemed to freeze either when the controller would turn off, or when I had my Pulse Elites USB adapter plugged into the system and the Pulse Elites plugged into the other USB port for charging purposes.
The System would also seem a tad hot, so I put a very slim fan behind my entertainment center, to ensure that the airflow is cool and circulating.
My system though still froze with the fan, but I never had it freeze when the Pulse Elites were not plugged in. ( Still can't prove if it is them or not )

The other day, I watched a video on how to tear down the PS4, just so I could see exactly where the fans were inside the system. They lay just behind the PSU, and you can actually maneuver a compressed air tub through the PSU and shoot out the dust. I did this the other day, and actually had a ton of dust blow out. So I'm hoping that was the reason for it, and haven't had it freeze yet... but it hasn't even been 24 hours since I cleaned it out like that, and normally I experience this type of freeze twice a week , roughly.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is an over heating issue, or something more software related. I also have a feeling that it could be related to the Pulse Elites. So I'm testing multiple things at the moment. I don't want to send in my PS4 yet, but I will buy the extended warranty before November hits, just because I'm already experiencing problems.

I'm heading out to work soon so I can't monitor responses for now but I'm hoping to see something that can help.

For the first time today my PS4 gave me the no signal message on my TV. The PS4 worked perfect since I got it in December until today. After plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable on the TV and the PS4 it worked but everytime I turn it on it says no signal first before the picture pops up. It didn't do this before. I looked at my HDMI port. The bump issue isn't present, everything is flat. I ran a thin piece of metal across the bottom to be sure and it was fine. And yet, my HDMI cable absolutely can not go all the way in to my PS4. It sticks out quite a bit. I assume this is the source of my troubles today.

Anyone have a similar issue? Any insights as to what can be done. I'd rather not have to exchange or send in for repairs if I can help it.

SURGEdude

I'd like to get a PS4, but currently don't have a LCD TV available. I do however have the following monitor, would this work with PS4 provided I use headphones?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&A=details&Q=&sku=676418&is=REG&fromDisList=y

It has VGA + DVI-D + DisplayPort connections. What adapters would I need?

Something like this DVI-D to HDMI cable ought to work for you. Not sure if you will be able to watch Blu-Rays on it because of the protection though.

Harlock

ps4failsqdas2.jpg

Another one with the same problem. So glad when I am not alone. If I retry one specific upload it works, but I am always getting this error in the automatic upload.

Top Bottom