• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

AzaK

So nearly 1/2 Wii U total in one holiday season.........insane. Sony have done such a bang-up job this generation. Completely opposite to Nintendo even when Nintendo claims that that market is too narrow for them.

jayu26

I'm waiting to see if they have any sort of deal with ME:A. the land rover thing was in their KING advertising commercial, and it was there during the Pro showcase.

Oh yeah, they probably have some kind of deal with them too.

Late January will probably do Resident Evil ads. Might see couple of Nioh ads in early February. End of February and into March is going to be all about Horizon. Mid to late March is Mass Effect ads.

Regardless, they will hit 5 million shipped this quarter. Which should help them hit their target of 60 million shipped, assuming they are at 55 million shipped. They might have to do some channel stuffing though.

Sagittarius.
Virgo.

StereoVsn

Late January will probably do Resident Evil ads. Might see couple of Nioh ads in early February. End of February and into March is going to be all about Horizon. Mid to late March is Mass Effect ads.

Regardless they will hit 5 million shipped this quarter. Which should help them hit their target of 60 million shipped, assuming they are at 55 million shipped. They might have to do some channel stuffing though.

If they sold through 53.4 million, they are very likely to be sitting at 55-56 million shipped simply because of how many different markets they are addressing. So I don't think they will need to stuff the channel all that much, especially kind of crazy Q1 release schedule. I do wonder if they will have another $250 promo during the first quarter (without Uncharted 4 perhaps).

Unknown?

Regardless they will hit 5 million shipped this quarter. Which should help them hit their target of 60 million shipped, assuming they are at 55 million shipped. They might have to do some channel stuffing though.

Virgo.
I can't believe even last year we were getting Horizon ads and they put it in their sizzle reels. Horizon will be pushed harder than any Killzone and may be up there with Uncharted for marketing dollars. What popular movie is coming in March that they could get a trailer in?

And this post, makes my inner fanboy mark out and hope and pray that the Scorpio takes the fuck off and slaughter and decapitate the entire gaming industry and make certain publishers and developers look the chumps and expose them as the frauds that they truly are like the 360 and Windows 10 did. Go on Scorpio! Go on Scorpio! Go on Scorpio! Slay them all!

Chobel

So... you gonna block yourself Statham?

Qza1eZw.png

jayu26

If they sold through 53.4 million, they are very likely to be sitting at 55-56 million shipped simply because of how many different markets they are addressing. So I don't think they will need to stuff the channel all that much, especially kind of crazy Q1 release schedule. I do wonder if they will have another $250 promo during the first quarter (without Uncharted 4 perhaps).

The reason I say channel stuffing is because they are unlikely to sell 5 million in this quarter. Therefore, there might be more than usual number of units (for PS4) sitting in warehouses and in-transit. Then again, considering how crazy the quarter is, with right bundling, they could have usually good quarter, usually good even for PS4.

Qza1eZw.png
What the fuck Statham! Seriously, what the fuck!

I don't think they will go without software in a bundle anymore. They've kept it bundled with software for a while now. They'll just rely on the CoD bundle at $299 (perhaps they make $249 the official price sooner or later) and the software releases.

Crayon

Qza1eZw.png

omg staham. c'mon man.

is that what yall are up to these days? just blocking everyone you disagree with?

edit: i know i was blocked by a group but now i'm wondering how many others are blocked. i'd love to see a few of these lists.

Like, its just insane how childish to me certain posters come across on this board. Jeez.

Like, do people REALLY think the Scorpio is gonna turn the tide of this generation? Thats insane. It'll win a few months, but turn a tide in any market? unlikely

Boke1879

Gemini
Male, DDF & DTF.

Edit: Back on topic. Why is the PS4 such a beast?

Sony made all the right moves to start the generation and they've pretty much been coasting. Not to mention since Playstation is a global brand that means the games come with that. Lets be real. There are certain games you'll be able to play on this that you won't get anywhere else.

Made great 3rd party deals etc.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Such an amazing turn of event after the debacle that was the PS3. Very impressive.

Qza1eZw.png

This is the coward's M.O. He purposefully gets all worked up over anything Sony related on GAF, throws a tantrum on Twitter, comes out swinging and trying to ride the line between trolling and not getting banned for his attempt at "comedy," and then protects his Twitter account because he is scared of people seeing who he really is.

Poor guy.

Unknown?

Sony made all the right moves to start the generation and they've pretty much been coasting. Not to mention since Playstation is a global brand that means the games come with that. Lets be real. There are certain games you'll be able to play on this that you won't get anywhere else.

Made great 3rd party deals etc.
It's all about the games. I mean they had great hardware and price but games have kept it going. I mean they get nearly double the amount of games as their competition. A lot of people will pass it off as indies or niche but they do make a difference. A dozen niche games will sell as many consoles as one big mass market game.

Sales figure threads are always rational on GAF, I don't know why you'd block people in them. Sony/MS exec's tweet threads on the other hand.

It's all about the games. I mean they had great hardware and price but games have kept it going. I mean they get nearly double the amount of games as their competition. A lot of people will pass it off as indies or niche but they do make a difference. A dozen niche games will sell as many consoles as one big mass market game.

Yup.

Games, games, games.

Sick of hearing "exclusives don't matter anymore".

Boke1879

You're right it's all about the games. The thing is though they made consumers feel they had to buy games like Destiny, COD, battlefront etc for the PS4.

Mahonay

Banned
3DS primary only had Nintendo first party titles to push the 3DS in the West vs Sony that had the full might of every third party publisher under the sun...
and? that's nintendo's fault

*reads tag*

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh :p

Legit lol'd after reading the tag links.
Holy shit. Amazing lol. Console wars are super childish, but god damn do I love all of the hilariously insane posts.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Some people may DOOM by saying even with Pro PS4 is only up by a small amount compared to last year, but i say they probably could have done similar numbers holiday season even without Pro.

What else has been announced for 2017 aside from gr2, horizon, mlb and gts?
I believe Detroit, Hot Shots Golf 7, Knack 2, and Dreams have had 2017 dates listed at some point. Oh and Lost Legacy, but I guess we don't know how big that'll be.
I think the biggest actual mover of hardware is RDR2 (by a significant margin). And I really have my doubts about it hitting 2017 as much as I'd love it if it did.
I'd love for RDR2 to make 2017, but yeah I've got some doubts as well.

Top Bottom