• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

So anyway, how are these things out there btw? I haven't been paying attention to this at all so don't know if it has already been explained how people are getting full retail boxes of these systems before they have even been announced.

Edit: I understand where she got that one from, but are they really already shipped out to retail stores just waiting for the surprise "it's available today!!1" announcement?

VinFTW

esports is an extremely small subset of the PS4 owning population. Besides, this is a cost saving revision, that's it. The Neo will more than likely have optical.

"an extremely small subset" LOL. Sure, it's smaller, but is it really worth it to shut out hundreds of thousands of Astro and Turtle Beach users?

Really?

Just, stop.

Which is why you should be using HDMI instead of Optical. Funny to see how misinformed some people are about the matter. There's a reason why modern sound systems use HDMI pass-through. HDMI sound is superior by specification.

Sony has cold hard data on how many of their users depend on Optical. That data tells them it's worth removing the port. Simple as that.

Please point me in the direction of a surround sound virtualization device for headphones with HDMI in. There's a large community on a headphone enthusiast forum which would be very interested in your recommendation. One that isn't $1,600 would be preferred.

I never said HDMI wasn't a superior audio format. Sony is removing a good option and leaving users with buying yet another dongle/splitter or using the garbage quality 3.5 mm input on the DS4.

Daffy Duck

That girl is a fucking slob. If you're going to do unboxing videos like this clean first so we don't have to see the squalor you live in.

EmiPrime

I have a 7.1 HDMI AV Receiver that came out in 2008. If you're still using optical it's time to upgrade, the writing has been on the wall for about 10 years. The Wii U didn't have it either and neither did the Xbox 360 E.

It's annoying to have to upgrade but nobody should have invested in optical audio gear at any point in the last 5+ years.

Please point me in the direction of a surround sound virtualization device for headphones with HDMI in. There's a large community on a headphone enthusiast forum which would be very interested in your recommendation. One that isn't $1,600 would be preferred.

I never said HDMI wasn't a superior audio format. Sony is removing a good option and leaving users with buying yet another dongle/splitter or using the garbage quality 3.5 mm input on the DS4.

At that point, why not just buy the $30 HDMI audio extractor that gives you an optical Port?

Kyoufu

Sure, here's the first of many to come: http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/katana.asp

For the record, I don't like options being removed either, but if this means headset manufacturers will move to HDMI for better sound then I'm all for it.

MCN

Banned
"an extremely small subset" LOL. Sure, it's smaller, but is it really worth it to shut out hundreds of thousands of Astro and Turtle Beach users?

Really?

Just, stop.

Presumably these people already have PS4s that they're using their headsets on. So why are the bitching about this? THEY ALREADY FUCKING HAVE A FUCKING PS4. THIS IS NOT FOR THEM!

timlot

Banned
A company should work to minimise its profits instead?

It's pretty clear that Neo will have 4K playback, so Sony's approach to Ultra HD is different to Microsoft's.

Sony's probably assuming that the people who care/want that kind of tech will be willing to pay for a "premium" device, thus it's opting to keep the Slim as low-cost as possible. I think it makes sense, but whether you agree or not, it's just a different approach.

Will be interesting what kind of MSRP Sony gives the slim. $199 would be ideal for a system thats cheaper to manufacture and lost a hardware feature (optical port). My guess would be $249 500Gb base model $299 1Tb.h
The extra cost of a UHD drive should be minimal if Microsoft was able to source them so cheap. Nothing is wrong with Sony trying to make as much profit as they can, but they aren't operating in a bubble. They have a competitor that's adding hardware and software features to their updated model while Sony seems to be cost cutting.

While Neo is hopefully going to have all those missing features UHD, 4K HDR, etc. Sony has had at least 3 months to respond to fact the Microsoft has publicly stated where Scorpio was going power wise. There is no reason Sony couldn't use that time improve that moderate at best 4.2TF increase in power. We'll see on the 7th, but given what I see from this PS4 slim I doubt they even bothered. They're high on success.

i-Lo

Which is why you should be using HDMI instead of Optical. Funny to see how misinformed some people are about the matter. There's a reason why modern sound systems use HDMI pass-through. HDMI sound is superior by specification.

Objectively agreed. However, the perceptible difference in audio quality between two great sound systems featuring these two differing ports may be more subtle than discerning the same between 128kbps mp3 file and its FLAC counterpart.

Sony has cold hard data on how many of their users depend on Optical. That data tells them it's worth removing the port. Simple as that.

Undoubtedly they'd have done a cost benefit analysis (either themselves or via third party) but it begs the question just how much does an optical output cost in terms of space, connectivity integration and power consumption to have potential buyers out in cold?

VinFTW

Well it is small, it's not insignificant but it is still small

I mean, just look to the fact that Sony is sponsoring the CWL, as well as SFV.

Presumably these people already have PS4s that they're using their headsets on. So why are the bitching about this? THEY ALREADY FUCKING HAVE A FUCKING PS4. THIS IS NOT FOR THEM!

So, they're excluded. Got it. RIP better WIFI.

Aceofspades

Banned
Will be interesting what kind of MSRP Sony gives the slim. $199 would be ideal for a system thats cheaper to manufacture and lost a hardware feature (optical port). My guess would be $249 500Gb base model $299 1Tb.h
The extra cost of a UHD drive should be minimal if Microsoft was able to source them so cheap. Nothing is wrong with Sony trying to make as much profit as they can, but they aren't operating in a bubble. They have a competitor that's adding hardware and software features to their updated model while Sony seems to be cost cutting.

While Neo is hopefully going to have all those missing features UHD, 4K HDR, etc. Sony has had at least 3 months to respond to fact the Microsoft has publicly stated where Scorpio was going power wise. There is no reason Sony couldn't use that time improve that moderate at best 4.2TF increase in power. We'll see on the 7th, but given what I see from this PS4 slim I doubt they even bothered. They're high on success.

Your avatar along with the way you worded your post is just .. :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why no 4k and HDR? Cmon.

What's the point of the revision then? nothing added at all?

To be cheaper than the current PS4 model, while at the same time pushing PS4 NEO with all the extra features. They are intentionally taking out everything not absolutely necessary and slimming the console down to its most essential components, while giving more of a selling point to their upgraded unit.

If you want the barebones PS4 experience they expect you to buy this PS4, and if you want the full phat, you will get NEO. That how they have positioned these units.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

It's not like things break or anything right?

Kyoufu

Objectively agreed. However, the perceptible difference in audio quality between two great sound systems featuring these two differing ports may be more subtle than discerning the same between 128kbps mp3 file and its FLAC counterpart.

Undoubtedly they'd have done a cost benefit analysis (either themselves or via third party) but it begs the question just how much does an optical output cost in terms of space, connectivity integration and power consumption to have potential buyers out in cold?

I don't have the BOM numbers but when you're manufacturing a device in the tens of millions, I'm sure the money saved is worth cutting off a small percentage who use outdated connections.

timlot

Banned
Your avatar along with the way you worded your post is just .. :)

No, I'm just transparent. Doesn't take away from the content of my post though.
200.gif

marrec

Banned
Is the insults about how her room looks really necessary??? Like seriously?

Anytime anyone posts a picture of their house here on GAF we do everything we can to shit on how their house looks, it's tradition. Ms. Butts is no exception to this rule.

Kyoufu

Try again. You must use their headset (it's not good). Can't use my own headphones.

If you want to use your own headphones, then there's literally a million HDMI pass-through sound systems available at a budget price. Like, go to your favourite electronics store and you'll find plenty?

Upgrading sucks, but you were going to have to do it at some point.

Z3M0G

Check your TV options. There's more than likely an option for PCM or Bitstream sound. Make sure it's set to bitstream. Optical only sends 2 channel PCM sound, but can do 5.1 DD/DTS through bitstream,.

I may have checked for this before... but I will double check. Thanks!!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

It has to go sooner or later, regardless of how little it costs etc, otherwise we would still have SCART connections on these consoles.

If it affects you now either keep your current PS4, use an ARC on your TV or get a HDMI splitter. In the long term just don't get any more equipment that relies on an optical connection. They won't be standard, even on headphones, for very long.

Well this kind of sucks. I rely on the optical out for sound. I run my ps4 on a pc monitor with not audio output. The splitter and cable cost me quite a bit too. I want to upgrade and give my gf my older ps4. Oh well I guess it's not that much of a problem if the console is getting better in other aspects. Maybe I'll just wait for the neo...

Namely, the kind of people who probably already own a PS4.
I own one since pretty much launch. Have plugged up my headphones to my controller or played sound through a TV. More than adequate for me and I would expect most people since TV speakers are pretty decent now.

I would argue removing it is not a big deal at all. And if it allows for a base $250 PS4 and $300 game bundle it would probably move a lot of units.

marrec

Banned
I guess us optical poet users are supposed to just stock up on extra PS4s while the original models are still available. And screw anyone coming to the PS4 come next year, they should have bought one already.

Or, ya know, just get a breakout box if your PS4 does break.

But stocking up on OG PS4s is more dramatic so do that.

Ash735

September 7th
And that concludes our show and presentation on that PlayStation 4 Neo and PSVR, we've shown you everything and we hope you all enjoy what's going to be available...
FA8XPM.gif

Oh and PS4 Slim is available right now.

If Neo doesn't have an Optical out I am going to be forced to buy a new receiver, My 7 years old Onkyo is amazing but Apple TV ditched the Optical and now SONY didn't include it either. I had to buy extra cables and make a ghetto connection for my Apple TV and don't want to keep adding extra boxes for new devices sans optical.

Guys recommend me a good budget receiver with HDMI.

They all say it's quiet but have they even ran any games to prove that it IS quiet for real? If they just say that because their in the menu and don't hear it much that doesnt mean it is quieter.

Do you or your work account for the general global trend when it comes to obsolescence Optical audio port?
No, but it doesn't change the fact that when fiber and audio techs haven't used or seen anyone with their optical port in use, in roughly 5 years, usually means it's pretty far gone.

Top Bottom