• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

i-Lo

It has to go sooner or later, regardless of how little it costs etc, otherwise we would still have SCART connections on these consoles.

If it affects you now either keep your current PS4, use an ARC on your TV or get a HDMI splitter. In the long term just don't get any more equipment that relies on an optical connection. They won't be standard, even on headphones, for very long.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I am using Z5500 and that sound system is fantastic for gaming. Other than that I also have the PS bluetooth headset too.

The replacing my now unavailable logitech surround sound system with an equally capable HDMI system is an expensive proposition. That said, for folks who will be making their first purchase of quality surround sound systems, HDMI is the only way forward.

If Neo doesn't have an Optical out I am going to be forced to buy a new receiver, My 7 years old Onkyo is amazing but Apple TV ditched the Optical and now SONY didn't include it either. I had to buy extra cables and make a ghetto connection for my Apple TV and don't want to keep adding extra boxes for new devices sans optical.

Guys recommend me a good budget receiver with HDMI.
I love my Yamaha so I recommend http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjp6YXawenOAhVFHYEKHSCFB5oYABAD&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESIeD23REDVlwXjeHCbp_p_ezkACFpUsGjCsiAE5HNac44CQ&sig=AOD64_1-vgYyXq5KxkFgKCFKL2wClSesxw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj0vYLawenOAhVTgx4KHSttBF8Qww8IIw&adurl=

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Every Sony system removes features on later models, this is nothing new. Already the console's light bar has been shortened and power and eject buttons changed to most likely cheaper (but far more reliable) mechancial ones. That's not to mention the glossy HDD bay cover being replaced with a matte one that's like the rest of the console.

The button change was a good move, but the console's light bar being slightly shortened was obviously a cost saving. The HDD bay change probably was too and I prefer the original glossy one which I have.

If Neo doesn't have an Optical out I am going to be forced to buy a new receiver, My 7 years old Onkyo is amazing but Apple TV ditched the Optical and now SONY didn't include it either. I had to buy extra cables and make a ghetto connection for my Apple TV and don't want to keep adding extra boxes for new devices sans optical.

Can't go wrong with an entry level Yamaha, Onkyo, or Pioneer

-griffy-

Banned
People in here still acting like they can't fathom why a system like this would exist? Like a streamlined revision of the same box, effectively the same functionality (some small features added, some removed), is some new, strange concept?

NES-Redesign.jpg

SuperFamicom_jr.jpg

Sega-Genesis-Mk2-6button.jpg

419CVQ8K9HL._SX385_.jpg

31125412-2-440-overview-1.gif

ps3_slim_640_ars.jpg

Xbox-360S-Console-Set.jpg

NewDust

The umpteenth thread about the PS4 slim and all the talk is still about no 4K and no optical. Sony really did a bad job controlling the messaging about this, by not giving out any information/comment since the leak.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Or, ya know, just get a breakout box if your PS4 does break.

But stocking up on OG PS4s is more dramatic so do that.

I don't know how we are defending removing features 1/2 through a generation where lots of funds have been invested by the consumers in using that now gone feature ...

I'm surprise there is no UHD drive. Probably waiting for the firmware update.

Oh you.

Don't most high end headsets use optical?

The Elite 800s from Turtle Beach do. Not sure if people would agree that these are "high end" but they cost $300, so they're expensive if nothing else.

But yeah, not having optical isn't a big deal to many, but there are still plenty of products on the market today that do utilize it. So while it may be leaving the market, the handwaving this away as not being an issue or "lol upgrade" is pretty weak.

marrec

Banned
I don't know how we are defending removing features 1/2 through a generation where lots of funds have been invested by the consumers in using that now gone feature ...

Eh, it's a legacy I/O, and I ain't defending it. I have the old school Vizio 4.1 /w Optical and I'll be damned if I'm getting rid of it anytime soon.

It's just such a non-issue at this point. If you absolutely have to have Optical for your setup, there are cheap boxes that'll make it happen for you.

Jotaka

audio HDMI > optical
HDMI can deal with all audio formats... optical not so much.
bandwidth of HDMI cable > optical cable

Eh, it's a legacy I/O, and I ain't defending it. I have the old school Vizio 4.1 /w Optical and I'll be damned if I'm getting rid of it anytime soon.

It's just such a non-issue at this point. If you absolutely have to have Optical for your setup, there are cheap boxes that'll make it happen for you.

This man knows what's up

Without 4K UHD support or HDR and now even no optical out and with what appears to be even cheaper plastic I don't see how this slim could cost $299, I will be surprised if it's over $249 with all the corners that they've cut.

krang

People can call optical audio "outdated" all they like, but if lots of people still have hardware that uses it and the competition does still include it, then that's always going to be a negative.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

yeah, you wanted to use a uhd/4k/hdr system with a 7 year old receiver? you have bigger problems than optical cables.

anyways i recommend an cheap sony receiver with 4k support. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J30GXW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i use a similar model with hdmi from ps4 to tv, and tv to receiver.

also enables me to use my tv remote on my ps4 or dual shock 4 on my tv.

Without 4K UHD support or HDR and now even no optical out and with what appears to be even cheaper plastic I don't see how this slim could cost $299, I will be surprised if it's over $249 with all the corners that they've cut.
this post hurts me brain.

People can call optical audio "outdated" all they like, but if lots of people still have hardware that uses it and the competition does still include it, then that's always going to be a negative.

Without numbers we can't quantify "lots", though. From a cost perspective, it was probably more advantageous for Sony to remove it.

Lucifon

That's what the ps4k is for.

At that point, why not just buy the $30 HDMI audio extractor that gives you an optical Port?
Why not just have Sony put in a $0.10 piece of hardware that they've already been purchasing and installing en masse.

I'm a bit concerned on your iron-clad defense of anti-optical. You've even gone so far as to make proclamations of assumed usage to justify your stance, without any evidence to prove/disprove it.

Optical out is not an obsolete technology. It's featured in, as you've mentioned several times, current HDTVs and receivers. Which, again, further proves your ignorance of how you're contradicting yourself.

Admit you're wrong and that your opinion is not anywhere near close to what the industry of A/V devices has been showcasing.

marrec

Banned
TBH I'm not even using the optical out on my PS4 right now anyway, HDMI to TV then TV to Optical.

>.>

I think the bigger problem is no UHD player, what with a 300 dollar One S on the market.

Glix

Pretty neat, but Sony and probably going to go crazy, quite a lot of videos have been taken down about the PS4 Slim.

This is a pretty serious leak so I guess Sony are going to announce retail availability during the PlayStation meeting, there seems to be quite a lot of these machines in the hands of people already.

I had this thought as well. Only thing that makes sense.

LAA

I'm warming up to the design, but that it doesn't have the power bar is pretty disappointing to me, again it looks like a repeat of the Vita 1000 - 2000 for me. 1000 looks better, but the 2000 feels better and is better functionally wise. Slims maybe more or a step up having physical buttons and 5GHz though.

Sucks if you really rely on optical I suppose but optical is hardly cutting edge these days and hdmi handles sound better anyway. I've not used optical in over 10 years now.

yeah, you wanted to use a uhd/4k/hdr system with a 7 year old receiver? you have bigger problems than optical cables.
You are literally insane. Optical out != HDMI video out. It's like the technology purists have come out of the woodwork to shit on everything.

Being a technology purist doesn't make you an asshole (I, too, am one), but being a technology purist who doesn't care to recognize that not everyone is like you, or has your wallet, is.

Why not just have Sony put in a $0.10 piece of hardware that they've already been purchasing and installing en masse.

I'm a bit concerned on your iron-clad defense of anti-optical. You've even gone so far as to make proclamations of assumed usage to justify your stance, without any evidence to prove/disprove it.

Optical out is not an obsolete technology. It's featured in, as you've mentioned several times, current HDTVs and receivers. Which, again, further proves your ignorance of how you're contradicting yourself.

Admit you're wrong and that your opinion is not anywhere near close to what the industry of A/V devices has been showcasing.

I'm not anti-optical. Hell, I use an optical soundbar in my bedroom. I've been suggesting a cheap solution for people who require it. I've even mentioned that there are newer headsets and equipment that use it. What I am saying is that it is an older format, and as older formats always do, it's dying out, just like component did and S-Video and composite before it. The reason it's on current TVs is because of older sound systems, and the reason it usually has one port on receivers is for legacy devices (notice newer receivers have 5 or 7 HDMI ports, but only one optical).

My point is that this is a cost saving measure for Sony. They want this thing to be as cheap as possible, and cutting out a port that A) no longer supports current surround formats and B) has been around for over a decade, isn't a big deal.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You are literally insane. Optical out != HDMI video out. It's like the technology purists have come out of the woodwork to shit on everything.

Being a technology purist doesn't make you an asshole (I, too, am one), but being a technology purist who doesn't care to recognize that not everyone is like you, or has your wallet, is.
suggesting a link to a 160 dollar reciever makes me a technology purist? lol okay breh.

Oh you.

The Elite 800s from Turtle Beach do. Not sure if people would agree that these are "high end" but they cost $300, so they're expensive if nothing else.

But yeah, not having optical isn't a big deal to many, but there are still plenty of products on the market today that do utilize it. So while it may be leaving the market, the handwaving this away as not being an issue or "lol upgrade" is pretty weak.
Meh...id say the hand waving is justified since the original PS4 does have it and likely the Neo. This is obviously a cost cutting iteration and not targeting the same audience. That's what Neo is for.

Now if that doesn't have an optical port, then we can collectively burn PS headquarters to the ground.

Zok310

Banned
Thanks for the unboxing but what a slob.
Also, who the fuck is denying the slim is real, she kept on bringing it up?

TBH I'm not even using the optical out on my PS4 right now anyway, HDMI to TV then TV to Optical.

>.>

I think the bigger problem is no UHD player, what with a 300 dollar One S on the market.
Would potentially eat in to Neo sales and/or hinder the Neo from standing out.

Yeah, it'd be cool if it had the functionality but the market has spoken that it barely cares about owning films and even less about HD versions of films. The awareness of UHD right now has to be minuscule. Sony, rightfully, knows price and their manufacturing costs matter far more than the few who would actually care about UHD.

Caayn

I bought a new receiver 3 years ago, I think. It doesn't support 4K so I'm using optical to connect some devices to it.

Top Bottom