• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

bebop242

Price will be important. I personally don't use, or care about, the Optical out, but the lack of 4k playback sucks. I heralded the PS3 for having Bluray when the 360 didn't, so I'm naturally disappointed that the xbox S offers 4k playback when the PS4 slim doesn't.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I trust Sony a whole lot less after my experiences with the PS4 with media playback

tumblr_m5rokb0PIo1rp72jbo1_500.gif

Straight dying right now

AdanVC

Insanely surreal there's already a review for a console that still hasn't been officially announced. The leak era.

Why not just have Sony put in a $0.10 piece of hardware that they've already been purchasing and installing en masse.

Because if the new console goes on to sell another 40m units, that's an additional $4m in costs for Sony for something they don't see as widely beneficial.

It's just business, it's not personal.

Price will be important. I personally don't use, or care about, the Optical out, but the lack of 4k playback sucks. I heralded the PS3 for having Bluray when the 360 didn't, so I'm naturally disappointed that the xbox S offers 4k playback when the PS4 slim doesn't.

Neo will have the 4K player. That gets announced in a little over a week. They didn't want 4K in the slim so it wouldn't A) gouge Neo sales and B) they wanted it be as cheap as possible. They've going for $249, I bet

VinFTW

Without numbers we can't quantify "lots", though. From a cost perspective, it was probably more advantageous for Sony to remove it.

Sony supports several eSports endeavors where optical audio is the format of choice for the league.

So, either they're out of touch or this is a shit move for gamers in favor of business.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I bought a new receiver 3 years ago, I think. It doesn't support 4K so I'm using optical to connect some devices to it.
sounds like an Optical/hdmi splitter is in your future.

i only meant that if youre purchasing a new premium console and expecting it to function feature for feature with 7 year old devices, is not going to go without set backs.

synce

Doesn't really look that much smaller to me. I'm hoping they go with a power brick for the Slim Neo at least

Meh...id say the hand waving is justified since the original PS4 does have it and likely the Neo. This is obviously a cost cutting iteration and not targeting the same audience. That's what Neo is for.

Now if that doesn't have an optical port, then we can collectively burn PS headquarters to the ground.

Fair enough!

Sure, some clown with a $300 headset isn't likely to be buying the low cost PS4 model anyways.

Colbert

Banned
As a potential buyer of a PS4 in the future (i don' have one so far) the absence of the optical port is a no go for me!

Ted

No optical/TOSLINK is annoying/cheap.

If my OG PS4 ever dies I'll have to buy something to split the audio out from the HDMI cable and end up having even more cabling to manage.

Thanks for that cheap Sony.

marrec

Banned
Would potentially eat in to Neo sales and/or hinder the Neo from standing out.

Yeah, it'd be cool if it had the functionality but the market has spoken that it barely cares about owning films and even less about HD versions of films. The awareness of UHD right now has to be minuscule. Sony, rightfully, knows price and their manufacturing costs matter far more than the few who would actually care about UHD.

I understand the decision, physical 4k media is destined to be an even smaller market than BRDs were and most (all?) 4K TVs are capable of streaming 4K media so why bother with a UHD drive?

It would have just been nice.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
That thing is tiny, considering the OG PS4 is already tiny, and this is considerably smaller. Hopefully the Neo has a more premium look, but according to the rumors it won't.

-d0hv

grizzelye

If the Neo wasn't coming out, I would have brought the new PS4.

I don't have a PS4, but have a stack of unopened PS4 games staring at me.

AmuroChan

Gold Member

If my OG PS4 ever dies I'll have to buy something to split the audio out from the HDMI cable and end up having even more cabling to manage.

I get why they're doing it. Now that they're moving to a two tier SKU model, the slim is going to be the low-end budget model that targets the people who most likely don't even know what an optical port is for.

The people who care about optical and have the nice, expensive headphones are going to go for the Neo.

Inuhanyou

The entire point of this unit is cost cutting and lower margins and being cheap. I got pissed at MS taking out the AV/Component port for the 360 E model, until i remembered that i didn't even use my component cables anymore.

Ghandi

Banned
All I want to know is:
How much db?

Have a unopened newest gen ps4
nonslim
awaiting me at home when I arrive in 3 days, and all i can think about it is: will it be less bad than my beloved abhorrent-vibrating-jetengine-release-ps4
RIP
?

I mean, I can still return it, if the slim turns out to be much quieter

Bioshocker

It's kind of sad that we're putting out a review thread for something that hasn't been officially announced yet.

It's absurd even. Has it ever happened before that a console that hasn't even been announced or revealed has been unboxed? I can't think of any.

The part many people have missed about the lack of optical here isn't audio through a receiver or TV - its that nearly all 5.1/7.1 headsets require it to work.

ethomaz

Banned
http://www.smyth-research.com/newsandarticles.html

Transistor said he'd help all optical users pool resources so they could continue using their headphone with virtual surround via HDMI.

I'm not sure why they are defending this move tooth and nail. This thread alone proves that at least some people still use optical. Let alone the esports community and a those of us who troll the MLE headphone gaming guide on Head-Fi. High quality sound matters and forcing out optical makes a big difference for us console-only users that care.
Bolded: that is exactly why you need to let optical go... HDMI offer high quality sound compared to optical.

What the hell is with the comment section? Is the "PS4 Slim doesn't exist" thing some meme or something? And what's with the people saying GAF members are disliking the video?

http://www.smyth-research.com/newsandarticles.html

Transistor said he'd help all optical users pool resources so they could continue using their headphone with virtual surround via HDMI.

I'm not sure why they are defending this move tooth and nail. This thread alone proves that at least some people still use optical. Let alone the esports community and a those of us who troll the MLE headphone gaming guide on Head-Fi. High quality sound matters and forcing out optical makes a big difference for us console-only users that care.

Then start using HDMI because it's better?

Not defending the move or anything, but you're choosing to use the worse option.

I'm all for options and stuff, but at the same time it's just cost saving measures for Sony. Not that many people use optical, but everyone is using HDMI already.

Inuhanyou

What the hell is with the comment section? Is the "PS4 Slim doesn't exist" thing some meme or something? And what's with the people saying GAF members are disliking the video?

The more trollish outsiders hate gaf. Cause they lurk here and generally get pissed at things individual people may say, so they extrapolate that to being the common sentiment.

Apparently we are known here at GAF as a "SJW Sony hivemind" that get pissy at everything and generally are to blame for most controversies on social media in gaming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The umpteenth thread about the PS4 slim and all the talk is still about no 4K and no optical. Sony really did a bad job controlling the messaging about this, by not giving out any information/comment since the leak.
Not offering 4K upscaling is kind of a huge miss.

-griffy-

Banned
The part many people have missed about the lack of optical here isn't audio through a receiver or TV - its that nearly all 5.1/7.1 headsets require it to work.

There's an uncomfortable reality here in that those 5.1/7.1 optical gaming headsets don't have appreciably better sound quality than comparable headsets with 3.5mm or 1/4" analog jacks. Surround sound in a headphone form factor isn't appreciably better than a good pair of stereo headphones and the positional audio they can provide (and arguably worse when looking at the sound quality some of these gaming headsets provide).

Ted

I get why they're doing it. Now that they're moving to a two tier SKU model, the slim is going to be the low-end budget model that targets the people who most likely don't even know what an optical port is for.

The people who care about optical and have the nice, expensive headphones are going to go for the Neo.

Well I'm an outlier then as I couldn't really give two hoots about mid gen console "upgrades" but do use optical out.

The entire point of this unit is cost cutting and lower margins and being cheap. I got pissed at MS taking out the AV/Component port for the 360 E model, until i remembered that i didn't even use my component cables anymore.

But I do use optical out?! If you got annoyed about something you didn't even use, that's all you.

I wouldn't care at all if OG PS4 was still going to be available or if previous Sony slims hadn't had them but it's not and they did so yeah, [for me] it's annoying.

zedge

Because the PS4 has always been marketed as a gaming console and neither the PS4 slim nor the Xbox one slim can run games at 4K. They left off a marketing buzz word, that's about it.
Eh.. so this PS4 plays 4K blurays and supports HDR? Thats a bit more than a buzzword.

Top Bottom