• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
PS4 is still completely unavailable on nowinstock.net's trackers across NA

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

The thirst is real!
JpAhRib.jpg

The inclination angle of the PS4... it's not "strictly-strictly"(I mean the inclination angle goes down a little after about 3 weeks) increasing... and that within the first 2 months? Production-wise it doesn't seem logical and all other lines do increase strictly.
Did a manufacturing line explode, did interest drop after 3 weeks right before christmas?!? Did they keep shitloads in storage before launch and then somewhat steadily emptied their mega-storage instead of just selling them straight away on day 1??!

...no, really. I have no idea.

The theory is that Sony will have manufactured about 2 million for global launch, probably over a 3-4 month period as tool sets were configured. Then they are manufacturing approx. 1 million a month.

As for manufacturing more, Sony has contracted a 3rd party for manufacture, Foxconn?, who would want round numbers for production. There contract will be 12-14 months so say an extra 500,000 a month might be good now but by the end of the year that's an extra 6 million on top of 14 million.
The ps4 is popular but not 20 million in a year popular.

EGOMON

As a European who's now been waiting 7 weeks to get a replacement unit these numbers start to really piss me off. How about throwing us a bone here, Sony?

edit: Unbelievable, right after posting this I check my status online and it looks like they found a PS4 for me right this morning.

Sony <3 You

darkwing

What were the sales figures in those months? Before, during and after. Where can we get those numbers?

We're expecting somewhere the same shipped from PS4/Xbone in Februari that we had in January, right? So, with sales at 280k for PS4 we're expecting close to that amount this month as well. If the Xbone is to overtake the PS4 in March we're basicly saying it'll sell 300k or more? I don't see a month in the near future that the PS4 isn't sold out so that's what I assume going in to this.

from what I remember, it sold around 300K , im sure someone has the exact number

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
from what I remember, it sold around 300K , im sure someone has the exact number

What I want to see is if we can get a good number of how Titanfall affects Xbone sales. If we take MGS4 as the last game that made sales in the NPD jump 100% over a month then we have to take into consideration: current installbase, exclusivity, hype and marketshare. I expect Titanfall to sell far more units than MGS4 and it'll be fun to watch the fallout.

Game Guru

Reminds me...every time I go into my local Smyths there are a bunch of lads on the PS4 demo kiosk. Playing Fifa.

It is kind of blindingly obvious. It's the better machine for these games - and the next 5+ years of next-gen games - at a lower price.

Where this gets more dangerous again for MS is when we verge into PS4 having so much social proof that it becomes a no-brainer choice for the wider market too. The more popular PS4 is, the more likely this manifests. We may already be verging into this territory - and may explain why it's still selling so well?

MS and Sony had a situation with PS3 and 360 where either were viewed as a viable choice and pretty equally popular. Microsoft needs to at least get XB1 into that position and pretty soon, or network effects on the market could swamp them. If they leave it too late things could become irretrievable on this front - if there is a kinectless SKU coming I'd expect we'll see it fairly sharply after Titanfall.

Yeah, if PS4 becomes the no-brainer choice, PS4 is going to end up with more and more exclusives since much of the reason why PS3 & 360 were both viable choices was because they both practically tied each other with US & UK being mostly Xbox and everywhere else being mostly PlayStation. For one thing, Japanese developers will go all-in on PlayStation since Xbox is a no-show in Japan. Indies will be willing to risk not having their games on XB1 as long as they get them on PS4. While Western third-parties will continue to port their games to both systems, their games will be superior on PS4 when compared to XB1. The only exclusive that XB1 may end up having is the ones they develop in-house, while Sony could end up having their in-house developers, the Japanese developers, and most indies, as well as the superior version of Western third-party games.

derExperte

Sony <3 You

I can't help but smile about my odyssey coming to an end but I certainly won't forget how Sony handled the shortage, prioritzing certain countries is fine, not giving a crap about customers who already spent money isn't (others have been waiting this long too).

There is no way MS is near 4 million sold.
He's right. A good guess for right now would be about 3.6m sold through.
I'm guessing [Xbox One]'ll be around 4 million.
If you meant right now, then it's almost certain you're overoptimistic as I said above. If you meant at the end of March, I think you're a tad pessimistic. I expect Titanfall to do very well for Microsoft, and push them appreciably over the 4m mark.

Amir0x

Banned
I seriously am genuinely surprised it continues to maintain any sort of trajectory like this. I admit I had convinced myself the PS4 would have a very significant drop off even by early year standards after the Holidays.

TheTwelve

Well, those are shipped, but at the beginning Wii sold almost anything it shipped, so I added it:

ps4saleslong272uht.png

PS4 is the fastest selling home console in history so far.

Zero people predicted this happening. Zero. Even the most imaginative of fanboys.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Funny that people mention kinect less sku and price drop. Didn't we just have a huge thread about titanfall bundle filled with outrage? Just laughing thinking of that inevitable thread.

KoopaTheCasual

pretty much.
I wouldn't bank on February numbers, if I were you. Since we know the PS4 sold 700k globally from Feb 8th-March 2nd, and 310k of those units were sold during two days of the japanese launch alone, we're looking at south of 390k for the rest of the 50+ regions, in March. Yes, the US will be taking the lion share of that remainder, but i'm not even sure if February NPD will even break 200k (or get just above it) for the PS4, with these crazy supply constraints.

As mentioned earlier in the thread (on the bright side) these low shipment numbers are only a transient issue, and are likely due to a combination of the chinese new year holiday, stopping production momentarily, as well as units air-lifted in December, from the January shipment.

PS4 vs Wii-U is over, onto Xbone vs Wii-U.

also over, launch alined the u is getting handily beaten despite the bone not having or even the hope of ever having a presence in japan. Its not beating 15 months of sales in 3-4 months like the ps4 but its still a no contest looking forward.

madmackem

I seriously am genuinely surprised it continues to maintain any sort of trajectory like this. I admit I had convinced myself the PS4 would have a very significant drop off even by early year standards after the Holidays.

It's getting to be wii like in its rarity in the uk, game amazon etc all out of stock local game has people needing ps4 since Xmas, it's pretty insane they could've sold a few million more with ease if they had them to sell. Looks like it's hard to find in NA as we'll.

S¡mon

Banned
I wouldn't bank on February numbers, if I were you. Since we know the PS4 sold 700k globally from Feb 8th-March 2nd, and 310k of those units were sold during two days of the japanese launch alone, we're looking at south of 390k for the rest of the 50+ regions, in March. Yes, the US will be taking the lion share of that remainder, but i'm not even sure if February NPD will even break 200k (or get just above it) for the PS4, with these crazy supply constraints.

As mentioned earlier in the thread (on the bright side) these low shipment numbers are only a transient issue, and are likely due to a combination of the chinese new year holiday, stopping production momentarily, as well as units air-lifted in December, from the January shipment.
Actually, the first week of February in the USA wasn't counted in the 5.3 million figure.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This is great news. I'm concerned about the exclusives lineup being able to keep people interested though. I hope the sales spur more announcements and E3 has some pleasant surprises.

also over, launch alined the u is getting handily beaten despite the bone not having or even the hope of ever having a presence in japan. Its not beating 15 months of sales in 3-4 months like the ps4 but its still a no contest looking forward.
I want to see how long it takes to pass the Wii-U. Perhaps next holiday.

Om3ga

Wow.

Well, I got my PS4 y'day as well in anticipation of infamous. I have to say, PS4 has no games. Resogun is nice, but otherwise it is a barren wasteland. Strange that so many million ppl are buying.
Plenty of games if you're a console gamer, that was used to sub 720p, and sub 30 fps games.

Better CONSOLE versions of COD, AC4, BF4, Tomb Raider just to name a few. Not to mention the PS+ freebie games etc. I have to say I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

8-10 Million by E3?

jelly

Yeah, if PS4 becomes the no-brainer choice, PS4 is going to end up with more and more exclusives since much of the reason why PS3 & 360 were both viable choices was because they both practically tied each other with US & UK being mostly Xbox and everywhere else being mostly PlayStation. For one thing, Japanese developers will go all-in on PlayStation since Xbox is a no-show in Japan. Indies will be willing to risk not having their games on XB1 as long as they get them on PS4. While Western third-parties will continue to port their games to both systems, their games will be superior on PS4 when compared to XB1. The only exclusive that XB1 may end up having is the ones they develop in-house, while Sony could end up having their in-house developers, the Japanese developers, and most indies, as well as the superior version of Western third-party games.

I don't think it will be that much different to 360. Microsoft may have to pay more to secure some exclusives but they've always cherry picked games to maximize profit rather than a wide net. There will miss out just like before no doubt but get the gems they want more often than not. PS4 definitely has the wind in their sails and devs will flock to them but Xbox One can still sell games. Devs and publishers have to calculate the risk and reward.

Great news.

It should definitely cheer up Kaz - he was at the Oscars but Sony's main movies (American Hustle and Captain Philips) unfortunately didn't win any, despite 16 nominations in total. Next time ;)

Melchiah

Wow.

Well, I got my PS4 y'day as well in anticipation of infamous. I have to say, PS4 has no games. Resogun is nice, but otherwise it is a barren wasteland. Strange that so many million ppl are buying.

That's entirely subjective. From my point of view it's been the best PS launch I've experienced;
PS2 - SSX (+Shadow of Memories in March)
PS3 - RFOM & MotorStorm
PS4 - KZ:SF, Resogun, Flower, Tomb Raider, Outlast

I wish people would stop touting the no-games mantra like it's a fact. The meme isn't true for everyone. And for those to whom it might be true, people tend to buy consoles at launch based on the promise of upcoming games. I can certainly understand why someone would buy a system at launch even if the games weren't there yet, as getting it by March isn't given. It was pretty obvious from last year's E3, that the supply wouldn't be able to meet the demand.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think it would be pretty cool if the console was available in Germany. I heard it's pretty good, it just has no gaems that anyone would like.

So no more paid M$ exclusives right ?

Publishers should be insane to ignore such large market* !

*EA excluded (they really bet on the wrong horse this gen).

eXeál

Banned
We haven't had an update from MS in a while but if we assume Europe is selling about the same as NA and we assume Feb was similar to Jan we'd be at about 3.6m for XB1 by start of March.

What's for sure is, MS isn't going to publicise a 3.x number when Sony's trumpeting 6.x. I think MS will at least wait until they can say 5.x, although by then who knows where Sony might be. I guess a lot depends on Titanfall.

There's a website people love to hate, or hate to love, on this forum that has so far been tracking the PS4 and X1 almost on point, and dude could you be more wrong about that assumption :/ The ratio is more 5/6:1 for NA...

Griss

Great news. Feels like the first time in a long time that something I've wanted to succeed in the industry is actually succeeding. Should be a good generation if this keeps up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
eXeál;103104263 said:
There's a website people love to hate, or hate to love, on this forum that has so far been tracking the PS4 and X1 almost on point, and dude could you be more wrong about that assumption :/ The ratio is more 5/6:1 for NA...
If you're alluding to vg chartz then they make shit up and correct it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom