• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, those are shipped, but at the beginning Wii sold almost anything it shipped, so I added it:

ps4saleslong272uht.png

PS4 is the fastest selling home console in history so far.

tumblr_m0a1nu6LED1qg0cfbo1_500.gif

They passed 3 million in the beginning of January and we know they were at least at around 3.20 million by the end of January based on NPD sales alone.

People already explain but you think they sold 700k to 800k in one month ?
The best MS can be at is 3.6 million and that is if they sold just as good in EU as NA (which i doubt )

Great news.

It should definitely cheer up Kaz - he was at the Oscars but Sony's main movies (American Hustle and Captain Philips) unfortunately didn't win any, despite 16 nominations in total. Next time ;)

American Hustle, unfortunate it may be, never stood a chance.

Despite its 10 nominations, it was never seen as the first or second best choices of any of its nominated categories. It winning any one would had been an upset.

American Hustle should had starred Leo. That movie embodied his constant failure to win an Oscar, where being good enough...isn't enough.

andthebeatgoeson

It surpassed the Wii uptake. I think we can tell were the Wii gamers went. Gj Sony.

Did the PS1 really have such a slow start? What happened?
Japan only in the beginning and everyone was waiting on the 64. Think Dreamcast, except in this universe, Dreamcast gores on to be number one....*tears*

eXeál

Banned
If you're alluding to vg chartz then they make shit up and correct it afterwards.

PS4 and X1 have yet to be massively corrected as I'm on this website almost everyday. So what you said might have been true for the previous gen, but so far it has yet to happen for the new generation. But whatever.

Specifically:

Q1 - 1.1 million home consoles (PS3)
Q2 - 2.0 million home consoles (PS3)
Q3 - 7.8 million home consoles (PS3 + PS4)

Total (Q1 - Q3) - 10.9 million home consoles (PS3 + PS4) as of December 31st, 2013

Amount needed to meet 15 million console goal:

4.1 million home consoles between January 1st, 2014 - March 31st, 2014

If they go by the 1M PS4s/month, then the PS3 would need to sell 1.1M to fill the rest.

DBT85

They passed 3 million in the beginning of January and we know they were at least at around 3.20 million by the end of January based on NPD sales alone.

Best estimates for January are 235k WW.

60% of 2013 sales were from NPD.

141k in Jan = 235k WW if that ratio holds up.

Great news.

It should definitely cheer up Kaz - he was at the Oscars but Sony's main movies (American Hustle and Captain Philips) unfortunately didn't win any, despite 16 nominations in total. Next time ;)
Blue Jasmine is by Sony Pictures. So they didn't go home empty handed and won in a major category (best actress).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You have to ask yourself whether these numbers represent figures just after the launch in Japan and NOT the week following. That 'surpassed' could be there because it takes into account another week of sales.

As of 23rd February, PS4 surpasses 6M? Could be you know!

As you’ve probably read by now, cumulative PS4 sales have now surpassed six million units worldwide following the successful launch in Japan just over a week ago.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/03/ps4-hits-6-million-ushers-in-new-era-of-social-gameplay/

My statements meant "in two months". Not one (worldwide sales in January + February).

I am talking about 2 months , MS was at 3 million sold (3.9million ship) at the end of Dec .
They sold 141k in Jan NPD and lets say they did the same in EU (which is being nice )
That would put them at 3.3 million sold at end of Jan , they would have to sell 600k to 700k in Feb alone to be near 4 million sold .
Then i again i guess that would depend on what you call near .

Demon Ice

Banned
If ps4 outsells xbox one in the US in March, it will be full on panic mode for MS.

I think the fact that the XB1 has already had a price drop in the UK + they're giving away their most anticipated title for free in the bundle demonstrates they're already quite panicky over at MS.

DryvBy

So Titanfall is going to really need to sell some systems because I know some people were betting TF would knock the PS4 down a few pegs.

Congrats to Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow.

Well, I got my PS4 y'day as well in anticipation of infamous. I have to say, PS4 has no games. Resogun is nice, but otherwise it is a barren wasteland. Strange that so many million ppl are buying.

I've enjoyed not playing and platninuming knack and Lego movie game, and playing Lego marvel, BF4, Killzone, FIFA, Tomb Raider

oh and resogun is nice too :)

edit: Need an ElTorro gif with Kaz's face superimposed over Lee Majors as 'the Six Million Unit Man'.

maverick40

So Titanfall is going to really need to sell some systems because I know some people were betting TF would knock the PS4 down a few pegs.

Congrats to Sony.

If it was an Xbox one exclusive then it might push a few consoles. It is also on PC and 360 so not a chance

DemonNite

I've enjoyed not playing and platninuming knack and Lego movie game, and playing Lego marvel, BF4, Killzone, FIFA, Tomb Raider

oh and resogun is nice too :)

edit: Need an ElTorro gif with Kaz's face superimposed over Lee Majors as 'the Six Million Unit Man'.

good job managing to find PS4 games out in the wild :D

Jack cw

If it was an Xbox one exclusive then it might push a few consoles. It is also on PC and 360 so not a chance

Let some people leave their hope pls.
But this is the truth though. Microsoft is pushing TF hard to make it look like a xbone exclusive but it wont do anything for them systemwise.The most interesting thing is, taht after Titanfall there is no huge exclusive for a long long time that has potential to sell something.

Bgamer90

Banned
I am talking about 2 months , MS was at 3 million sold (3.9million ship) at the end of Dec .
They sold 141k in Jan NPD and lets say they did the same in EU (which is being nice )
That would put them at 3.3 million sold at end of Jan , they would have to sell 600k to 700k in Feb alone to be near 4 million sold .
Then i again i guess that would depend on what you call near .

Over 3.5 million but under 4 million is what I meant.

So basically you think they sold close to 800,000 worldwide in a month?

Where exactly?

Never said and/or meant that.

Mario007

Congrats to Sony.

The problem with that assumption is that we're forgetting that PS4 also has a system seller releasing this month. Though then again, this is PS4, they're gonna sell as many consoles as they can make regardless.

So thats 700k worldwide in three weeks.
370k in japan. 309k in the first two day. 60k in the first whole week after launch.
330k in the rest of the world.
I'd say 170k in US and 160k in europe.
Thats more than 50k sold each week in both markets.

And thats without exclusive game releases after launch. And even without bigger 3rd party game releases after launch. They're also still supply constrained.
I guess with MGS V, Infamous and other releases in march it should be possible for them to sell a million in march.
Maybe they can reach 7 mil by the end of the fiscal year.

Damn, those are some nice numbers. I wonder how long this momentum will last before the heavy hitters start getting released.
Japan only in the beginning and everyone was waiting on the 64. Think Dreamcast, except in this universe, Dreamcast gores on to be number one....*tears*
Can I live in that universe?

I wanna live in that universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom