• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when are the red and blue PS4 controllers coming out in NA? You would think they talk a bit about that. Didn't the EU get them at launch or am I wrong?

So when are the red and blue PS4 controllers coming out in NA? You would think they talk a bit about that. Didn't the EU get them at launch or am I wrong?

That is going to take a while. IIRC, it took at least a couple of years before we saw different color DS3 controllers. Can anyone confirm when?

Skeff

Yep available at EU launch.

You can likely get them shipped to US but you'd have to pay EU prices which are much higher than US.

Sky Chief

Yes, EU got them at launch but I don't think they have been restocked since then. I was in the UK and Germany last month trying to buy a blue one and every store said they had not been restocked since launch and had no idea when new shipments were coming in.

gtj1092

yeah, if you really want to be a downer, you could point out that it suggests that week two sales in japan have fallen off a cliff while everywhere else has continued to trundle along with relative mediocrity.

but in today's climate, achieving mediocrity in enough regions can make for a great press release. especially when your competitor is doing its best impression of the PS3 launch.

You're on a roll today.

Great sales hopefully they get more on shelves soon. I wonder if Sony is certain supply will stabilize in April because they only contracted for "x" amount for the fiscal year and would incur fees from Foxconn if they wanted more. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this works? I expect starting in April is when they will get an increase in production.

Why are we talking about Titanfall.

What is neogaf without having at least 2 titan fall topics on the front page at any given time?
There is currently only one, so this is officially the 2nd one - scratch that. Someone bumped up an old TF thread. This thread can continue to be about ps4 sales.

Phades

It's not really anymore crazy than the "marathon not a sprint" analogies. The idea that fast up front sales leads to slower sales later has been brought up plenty before, even though history has shown it's always been more of a snowball effect than anything else.

Well, currently it is a blizzard, so clearly the snowballs may follow. We will have a better picture around this time next year though.

Skeff

You're on a roll today.

Great sales hopefully they get more on shelves soon. I wonder if Sony is certain supply will stabilize in April because they only contracted for "x" amount for the fiscal year and would incur fees from Foxconn if they wanted more. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this works? I expect starting in April is when they will get an increase in production.

It's possible that they could increase production but the more likely answer is the 2013 demand was so high that a lot of units were air freighted to UK/US as well as doing the Japan launch in Feb Left Sony with only around 600k Units freely available for shipping per month in Jan/Feb and they expect to be back t 1.4m units shipping wherever demand is from April onwards.

Yes, EU got them at launch but I don't think they have been restocked since then. I was in the UK and Germany last month trying to buy a blue one and every store said they had not been restocked since launch and had no idea when new shipments were coming in.

I'd kill to have a blue one. If it is only ten bucks more, I'd probably buy one if they work well with NA machines (don't see why they wouldn't). Anything more than 10 bucks difference and I'll wait.

Too bad I can't get Amazon UK to ship to my house.lol I'm a US prime member.

Fox Mulder

it's the nature of the forum now, PS4 sales threads always mutate into XB1 sales talk then EA's lost sales on titanfall.

the ps4 is doing great, which has been the situation and narrative for months.

forums like negatives anyways, from doomed Nintendo talk to the shitstorm that was the Xbox one reveal and DRM. The ps4 numbers are just another way to laugh at EA.

BibiMaghoo

I'd kill to have a blue one. If it is only ten bucks more, I'd probably buy one if they work well with NA machines (don't see why they wouldn't). Anything more than 10 bucks difference and I'll wait.

You are going to be waiting :)

At current conversion of GBP to USD, they will cost you $91.

Without shipping.

Welcome to the UK.

Sky Chief

They're sold out on amazon.co.uk and there is still a notice up that those that preordered blue DS4's before launch might not receive their deliveries at launch which suggests to me that they are back ordered since last year and even Amazon has not received a second shipment yet.

heidern

This months figures are boosted by the Japanese launch of 300K+. Post launch shipments to Japan will be reduced and so they can divert those to the rest of the world. So even without an increase in production you could find supply/demand is stabilized.

system11

The issue with that is, EA + Respawn would never allow it. 3.5 million consoles isn't a big enough install base for them to make money off of.

What are they going to do about it aside from delay and hide the 360 version, force people to buy Xbox Ones at gunpoint?

While this is all good and dandy (Congrats Sony). Let's get the ball moving on these updates. I needs my MP3 playback so I can finally be at peace.

derExperte

They're sold out on amazon.co.uk and there is still a notice up that those that preordered blue DS4's before launch might not receive their deliveries at launch which suggests to me that they are back ordered since last year and even Amazon has not received a second shipment yet.

I got a red one from Amazon.de in early January and that could very well have been the last shipment until now. Can't even preorder red or blue.

What are they going to do about it aside from delay and hide the 360 version, force people to buy Xbox Ones at gunpoint?

I just think that they really made a terrible decision leaving the PS4/PS3 out of the equation, I'm not a particular Titanfall fan but I think it would have probably gone a long way to helping sales for them. Anyways back on topic, I really think the PS4 will have sold at least 12 million by the end of this year.

Dang. Well, all I can hope for is an E3 annoucement and possibly more colors. A Yellow/Black combo would look sweet IMO.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
It depends on the return on investment from Titanfall. If Titanfall moves 3M consoles in March & April, MS may try to hold on to the franchise for long.
Even if (and it is a big if) Titanfall did move 3M consoles, that would still be the investment part. Microsoft is losing money with every sold console, and now they are even giving Titanfall away for free. For which they also paid a pretty penny, I would wager.

At some point they should start looking into the return, and I don't see there being much.

It would be cool to hear the discussions that are going on in Sony headquarters about the production capacity of PS4. A million a month sounds small in this situation, but how long can this trend continue? And should they already prepare for next holiday season?

There's just something insane about this.

Pretty crazy the gap is already so wide. How does this compare to Wii sales launch aligned?
ps4saleslong272uht.png

Seems like it's the fastest selling console so far.

Are they ever going to make another commercial lol? Awesome news to see though.Sony is doing pretty much everything right here.

Jburton

Banned
What is the gap? What are the last WW numbers we got for The One?

Based on the last news and last months NPD the current estimates are around 3.5 million.

With PS4 at 6 million plus ........ it's not very far from 2:1.

Also whoever is predicting 3m X1 sales between March and April because of Titanfall needs their meds adjusted.

StoopKid

yeah, if you really want to be a downer, you could point out that it suggests that week two sales in japan have fallen off a cliff while everywhere else has continued to trundle along with relative mediocrity.

but in today's climate, achieving mediocrity in enough regions can make for a great press release. especially when your competitor is doing its best impression of the PS3 launch.

Lmao.
So much negativity.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sharing means caring

And caring means sharing

Doot Doot Doot that's how sharing works~

Oppo

I know you are a dour sort, but those numbers are not really comparable.

Man

A superior product at a lower price than the competition so fully deserved.

Even the internals are streamlined and elegant:
ps4-system-board-wired-640x428.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom