• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
On base ps5 HFW and its xpack was running 1800p checkerboarding in 60fps mode or 4k30fps in fidelity, obviously with no cuts u would need 2x stronger cpu/gpu for 4k60 , so we definitely wont get that(remember gpu is 60-70%, not 100% stronger, not to mention only mild overclock on the cpu).
That's an oversimplification of the math though.
Not gonna debate details right now, but leaks already included performance examples that did exactly that - same res at 2x perf, or double the res, with 1st party case studies.
What makes it noteworthy is those are in line with ps4pro jumps, which coincidentally had very similar early examples with 1st party games, that all shipped eventually too.

Doesn't mean it'll work in all games, but I'd wait for real world results before calling it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Will PS5 owners upgrade to Pro? I don't think console owners like constantly upgrading their system like a PC. Majority will just wait for PS6 which is the logical thing to do.
Only if sony start to taking their first party titles out of their ass.. this launch strategy will be interesting... because right now they have fucking nothing to justify it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Will PS5 owners upgrade to Pro? I don't think console owners like constantly upgrading their system like a PC. Majority will just wait for PS6 which is the logical thing to do.
After the PS4 Pro came out, they were something like 20% of units sold. I would expect a lower number from PS5 Pro, honestly. I dont think this one has the selling point that the PS4 Pro did.

Not gonna debate details right now, but leaks already included performance examples that did exactly that - same res at 2x perf, or double the res, with 1st party case studies.
What makes it noteworthy is those are in line with ps4pro jumps, which coincidentally had very similar early examples with 1st party games, that all shipped eventually too.

Doesn't mean it'll work in all games, but I'd wait for real world results before calling it.
I had a PS4 Pro at launch, and you basically went from like 1080p to 1800p with CBR, so not quite.

Last edited:

Moses85

After the PS4 Pro came out, they were something like 20% of units sold. I would expect a lower number from PS5 Pro, honestly. I dont think this one has the selling point that the PS4 Pro did.
PS5 Pro will sell better than PS4 Pro, I am sure.
Julian Bond Day GIF

Mr.Phoenix

I expect the PS5pro to sell better than the PS4pro did. I don't know why people are so fixated on the resolution thing, The PS5pro doesn't need some sort of resolution sticker to sell well. It just has to be the best console hardware on the market or the best way to experience any console game. That will be enough. Especially if you need to spend over $1000 to get an equivalent PC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I expect the PS5pro to sell better than the PS4pro did. I don't know why people are so fixated on the resolution thing, The PS5pro doesn't need some sort of resolution sticker to sell well. It just has to be the best console hardware on the market or the best way to experience any console game. That will be enough. Especially if you need to spend over $1000 to get an equivalent PC.
here's the thing. Nobody cares about graphics settings and ray tracing performance and upscaling algorithms all that shit except for the types who post on forums like this. If they did, then the 4090 would have sold like the Switch. But all that nerd shit is the only thing the PS5 Pro has to sell itself on. Resolution is actually the one thing that normies understand, and the PS4 Pro's sales pitch was "get this if you want the best looking games on your new 4K TV". Very simple.

I don't know what an equivalent PC is. I also dont think it matters. I think people buy consoles because they want an easy to use box to put under their TV, and graphics performance is secondary as long as it plays the games.

Last edited:

Jesb

here's the thing. Nobody cares about graphics settings and ray tracing performance and upscaling algorithms all that shit except for the types who post on forums like this. If they did, then the 4090 would have sold like the Switch. But all that nerd shit is the only thing the PS5 Pro has to sell itself on. Resolution is actually the one thing that normies understand, and the PS4 Pro's sales pitch was "get this if you want the best looking games on your new 4K TV". Very simple.

I don't know what an equivalent PC is. I also dont think it matters. I think people buy consoles because they want an easy to use box to put under their TV, and graphics performance is secondary as long as it plays the games.
Thats what I’m thinking as well. How do they even market this to the masses. Most people probably dont even know what ray tracing is or PSRR or whatever else. What are they putting on the box to market this.

How is Sony going to market this as a reason to upgrade? PS4 pro had higher resolution support. What’s the big selling point to sell this to people?
Why do people ask this question? The people this is targeted for are not casuals/"normies", its for people who want the best performance in a console. Simple, plays the same games with better performance/resolution. This is not for average Joe. There are more and more PS5 games with performance modes hitting 1080p and sometimes lower, this can fix that, especially with the "bespoke" upscaling solution.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

DF have been constantly complaining about bad image quality (and rightfully so) and when that gets addressed with the pro, it's suddenly all about the CPU which hasn't really been an issue so far. For supposed tech enthusiasts, sometimes they seem to not care about new tech unless it's an overpriced GPU.

Exactly. Neither the GPU nor the CPU is the story here. It's all about the quality of this PSSR solution. If it's like modern DLSS then the that alone will be the difference between the 60fps modes with bad IQ and 60fps modes with good IQ, and that alone would make it a better upgrade than the PS4 Pro. At that point better RT would just be a bonus, for me anyway.

Hunnybun

Lol yeah what else could possibly be the difference between a Switch and a 4090....???

Oh yeah, about $2000.

Jesb

Why do people ask this question? The people this is targeted for are not casuals/"normies", its for people who want the best performance in a console. Simple, plays the same games with better performance/resolution. This is not for average Joe. There are more and more PS5 games with performance modes hitting 1080p and sometimes lower, this can fix that, especially with the "bespoke" upscaling solution.
It’s targeted for everyone. Believe it or not there are still alot of gamers to sell a PS5 too that haven’t bought one yet. They will still need some marketing to market this and I’m not sure what that is.

It’s targeted for everyone. Believe it or not there are still alot of gamers to sell a PS5 too that haven’t bought one yet. They will still need some marketing to market this and I’m not sure what that is.
Casuals aren't paying $600 for the Pro version of a console. The marketing is no different than Nvidia/AMD announcing a new lineup of GPUs. People just expect better performance. You don't need some big sales pitch. Just explain the benefits clearly and the people who care about having the best experience on a console will pay for it.

DF will do the rest with comparisons.

Hunnybun

Casuals aren't paying $600 for the Pro version of a console. The marketing is no different than Nvidia/AMD announcing a new lineup of GPUs. People just expect better performance. You don't need some big sales pitch. Just explain the benefits clearly and the people who care about having the best experience on a console will pay for it.

DF will do the rest with comparisons.

Yeah people have this stupid idea that ALL console gamers are completely ignorant of tech. It's just not true. It's a continuum just like lots of things.

I care about graphics probably as much as any PC gamer, but I play on console simply cos I don't want a fucking PC for about 4x the price where the only benefit is image quality and I have to wait like 2 years for the best looking games anyway.

Hunnybun

People upgrade phones for incremental power increases so I think PS5 pro will do fine. And I think pro is definitely needed. Some PS5 games are pretty rough looking compared to a mid range PC.

I think at this point it's clear that most proper current gen games will have performance modes with significantly less than ideal image quality. So for me it's a much more urgent upgrade than last generation, given that hardly anyone even had a 4k tv back in 2016.

PeteBull

All consoles are closed platforms, meaning if u got fidelity and performance modes u give up on something.
In fidelity mode u sacrifice half the frames, in perf mode u sacrifice big amount(at least 50%, but in many games its actually more, usually it looks like 4k30 vs 1440p60 as long as game isnt super demanding) of pixels.
Since games arent screenshots but we look at them/play them in motion, most ppl will easily chose 60fps mode as long as framerate is stable(so no judder or stutter) and sacrifices of pixels(+world detail/pop up, things that free up cpu) arent too nasty- if its 1080p and up usually that stable 60fps will look better for us vs higher res 30fps mode.

Now question was about 4k60 fps mode in HFW, if we talking- same 4k30fps mode just upped to 60fps aka 2x cpu and gpu power- impossible coz ps5pr0 isnt as powerful and we know it already, 4k40fps mode with that quality is possible tho.

If we talking 1800p checkerboarded 60fps perf mode and making it to closer to 4k then its doable, but it will still have those cpu heavy cuts the perf mode had on base ps5- remember cpu is same just with mild overclock so maybe we gonna get 15% more perf cpu wise so maybe we not gonna get as severe cuts in world detail and less pop in vs base ps5 perf mode but definitely we will get some.

Ofc it will be glorious and worth it without any doubt.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I think at this point it's clear that most proper current gen games will have performance modes with significantly less than ideal image quality. So for me it's a much more urgent upgrade than last generation, given that hardly anyone even had a 4k tv back in 2016.
Yups, especially for ppl who prefer/play 60fps modes we wanna have that bump in IQ which is in many demanding current gen only games goes down to switch like resolutions and mind u, resolution below 1080p native looks extremly blurry on 4k screen, additional cpu power for smoothing out those dips below 60 is most welcome too :)

Last edited:

PeteBull

Since we had bit of talk about midrange/modern pc's and what is equivalent of ps5pr0
This thing is 1,1k usd, all new high quality parts, has 2tb fast ssd, same gpu as ps5pr0(but not downclocked/downvolted so it will be 10-15% stronger), and zen3 cpu, 8cores/16threads, with much better clocks too.
All in all if u buy this pc u are sure to be on pair or slighty ahead of upcoming ps5pr0 in every metric.

Zathalus

Since we had bit of talk about midrange/modern pc's and what is equivalent of ps5pr0
This thing is 1,1k usd, all new high quality parts, has 2tb fast ssd, same gpu as ps5pr0(but not downclocked/downvolted so it will be 10-15% stronger), and zen3 cpu, 8cores/16threads, with much better clocks too.
All in all if u buy this pc u are sure to be on pair or slighty ahead of upcoming ps5pr0 in every metric.
The Pro would have a newer GPU architecture which would allow for better raytracing and a ML based upscaler (PSSR). Take the 7800XT out and replace with a 4070 and you have something that should be equal or better in every metric. You would need to drop to a 1TB to keep the price roughly the same.

SABRE220

That would be superior in raster agreed and especially in cpu limited games but in raytracing benchmarks it will get comprehensively beaten, especially complex ones such as cyberpunk etc. That being said its double the price of the pro so the pro retains its value proposition.

PeteBull

That would be superior in raster agreed and especially in cpu limited games but in raytracing benchmarks it will get comprehensively beaten, especially complex ones such as cyberpunk etc. That being said its double the price of the pro so the pro retains its value proposition.
Ofc, still if some1 is looking for what u can place ps5pr0 vs modern pc's that is where price/perf wise, i could get cheaper cpu to only be on pair, 1tb ssd and different gpu but the parts i have chosen look like biggest bang for ur buck so im stick to this.
Cpu power is extremly important if we talking 60fps, ps5pr0 gonna be bottlenecked there so on pc ofc if given possibility i added that additional 50$ and instead of r5 5600(that is still far superior to ps5pr0 cpu) went with r7 5700x (and added 30$ cooler, still very worth it).
That way having that cpu u can "bruteforce" 60fps in games consoles have to stick to 30 or get some 40-50 no mans land on their 60fps target perf modes- at the end of the day its still only 160$ cpu so fits midrange bracket in pc space yet it performs amazingly well.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It's not hard. Just compare FF7 Rebirth side by side between performance mode and 60FPS quality mode. The former looks like a turd while 30FPS quality mode is unplayable

There's already loads of games that are dodgy enough at 60fps that I'm just waiting on the Pro. Just off the top of my head:

Jedi Survivor
Dead Space
FF 16
FF 7 Rebirth
Alan Wake 2
Avatar (this probably not TOO bad but I'm just waiting at this point)

I even thought TLOU P1 looked significantly worse in the performance mode - bad enough that I just played in fidelity with VRR and tolerated the dips.

It's only going to get worse from here on out. I mean, lots of games DO look great upscaled from ~1080p (anything by Insomniac, HFW, Guardians of the Galaxy etc) but it's extremely variable. The FF games in particular look atrocious.

Last edited:

Elios83

How is Sony going to market this as a reason to upgrade? PS4 pro had higher resolution support. What’s the big selling point to sell this to people?

The same?
Higher resolution + much better final image quality due to AI based reconstruction.
Much better ray tracing performance which will turn into way more noticeable ray tracing effects.
Possibility to run the PS5 quality modes at 60fps in many cases.

Last edited:
There's already loads of games that are dodgy enough at 60fps that I'm just waiting on the Pro. Just off the top of my head:

Jedi Survivor
Dead Space
FF 16
FF 7 Rebirth
Alan Wake 2
Avatar (this probably not TOO bad but I'm just waiting at this point)

I even thought TLOU P1 looked significantly worse in the performance mode - bad enough that I just played in fidelity with VRR and tolerated the dips.

It's only going to get worse from here on out.
FF16 and Rebirth getting Pro patches would be a dream come true. Forbidden West 60 FPS mode is good but not perfect, I also think that would benefit heavily from the Pro

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thats what I’m thinking as well. How do they even market this to the masses. Most people probably dont even know what ray tracing is or PSRR or whatever else. What are they putting on the box to market this.
The Pro isn't for the masses, like the PSVR2 it'll be a niche product marketed to Gamers who want the best and have the disposable income to just go out and buy it, same way Nvidia make obscenely priced and quite ludicrous 4090 cards, there is a market, whilst not huge it's still a profitable market that will keep Sony in the headlines

Caio

The Pro isn't for the masses, like the PSVR2 it'll be a niche product marketed to Gamers who want the best and have the disposable income to just go out and buy it, same way Nvidia make obscenely priced and quite ludicrous 4090 cards, there is a market, whilst not huge it's still a profitable market that will keep Sony in the headlines
You can trade your base model with a PRO, not so so expensive. It's up to you.

People seem to be debating again about how Sony will market the Pro and who will buy the Pro, I'll leave this quote from Jim Ryan here after PS4 Pro's launch as I think it answers everything nicely, and gives us an idea into Sony's mindset when approaching the PS5 Pro.

"We were confident about the product but have really been taken aback by how well it's done," Ryan said. "Almost one in five PlayStations sold since that launch in November has been a Pro. That's significantly ahead of our expectations. We're feeling pretty good about that."

This one here is golden.

"Sometimes I think we can be guilty of ascribing too much rationality to gamers," Ryan explained. "People just want the best. Maybe they just want to future proof? I think we see the same thing from Apple customers too — there are people that want the best that you can buy."

Trilobit

Gold Member
I'll be saving my money for Playstation 6. It's an endless ratrace if you always need the top of the line. I'm perfectly fine with my PS5 as there are barely any exclusives(I want) on it.

But I know many here have been waiting eagerly for it so good for them that it finally materializes. :)

PeteBull

I'll be saving my money for Playstation 6. It's an endless ratrace if you always need the top of the line. I'm perfectly fine with my PS5 as there are barely any exclusives(I want) on it.

But I know many here have been waiting eagerly for it so good for them that it finally materializes. :)
Thats perfectly fine too, myself on the other hand didnt buy ps5 as soon as we knew how weak it is, now in few months pr0 will be perfect opportunity to jump in, there is many current gen games/exclusives, and even more incoming, including gta6, so it will be money well spent and will last me at the very least till holiday 2028.
Base ps5 owners already feeling the heat with how games look/perform and its not even 4 years into current gen, 4 and a half years to go, would be big pita to suffer remaining years of current gen on base model when we got pr0 right under our noses :D

Those DF comparisions will be glorious, with series S being compared to(and getting demolished by) base ps5 and series X getting graped by pr0 basically every single time, higher res/fps/better rt and who knows what more :p

Edit:
Just look how FF7 Rebirth looks in performance mode on base ps5, and game even tho its current gen only, it has its roots in last gen

Last edited:

Hunnybun

FF16 and Rebirth getting Pro patches would be a dream come true. Forbidden West 60 FPS mode is good but not perfect, I also think that would benefit heavily from the Pro

I thought FF16 was as bad as it could get, then I saw Rebirth lol. What really gets me is that neither of them look remotely as good as proper next gen games like Ratchet, or the dozen or so reveals we've seen recently. They don't even look close to good cross gen games like RE4, HFW, and (in essence) Spider-Man 2.

They're a generation behind stuff like Fable, Death Stranding 2, Dragon Age, Doom etc.

Personally I think the current HFW 60fps mode looks great, but maybe it falls apart a bit if you're REALLY close to the screen, not sure.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I had a PS4 Pro at launch, and you basically went from like 1080p to 1800p with CBR, so not quite.
Ok if we want to nitpick - it was 1440p/1.8x (which also turned out to be the most common PS4Pro upgrade) - but majority of those titles also ran better than original or had other enhancements.
But specifically I was comparing to 1st party-games that were done pre-launch:
Knack/Infamous = 1800p cbr (1.6x resolution)
Uncharted = 1440p (1.8x)
Indeed shipped versions eventually had these exact upgrades.

The PS5Pro leak indicated roughly the same increases - arguably slightly better (one 1440p, and one 2x framerate). The point is the scaling clearly isn't linear with TFlops (regardless how you count them) - PS4Pro was ostensibly either much larger increase, or much smaller (if comparing to double rate) but real-world results may end up being very comparable based on what is known so far.

Now question was about 4k60 fps mode in HFW, if we talking- same 4k30fps mode just upped to 60fps aka 2x cpu and gpu power- impossible coz ps5pr0 isnt as powerful and we know it already, 4k40fps mode with that quality is possible tho.
See above regarding GPU scaling - it's not linear the way people think it is (and it gets even messier if we dive into details of resolution invariable parts of the frame - of which there are plenty, but I don't want to get lost in the weeds).
IMO - CPU scaling would be largely irrelevant to this case - as we already have HZD running at 60 on base console (and fidelity mode does f#### all to scale CPU complexity from what I've seen) - but I won't put my hand in fire it's 0%. But definitely nowhere near 100% that you indicate.

If we talking 1800p checkerboarded 60fps perf mode and making it to closer to 4k then its doable
Regular PS5 already ran at higher native res than 1800cbr in performance mode - so that'd be arguing Pro can't even keep up with the base console.

so maybe we not gonna get as severe cuts in world detail and less pop in vs base ps5 perf mode but definitely we will get some.
Let's see - personally I think people grossly overestimate CPU impact on world-detail (and especially pop-in) in console games, mainly on account of 2+ decades of PC market being a shit-show in that respect. But to be fair - it's highly variable with the software stack, so it's possible it lands on either side of bottlenecks and we don't have any console benchmarks for this engine.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

So much wrong here... where does one even start.

4090 and Switch? I am not even gonna bother with this one...

Guess what though, The PS5pro sales pitch will ALSO be get this if you want the best-looking games on your 4K TV. Powered by AI. I am sure the nomies will know what AI is... you know, that thing that everyone and their toaster is now claiming to have.

Trilobit

Gold Member
including gta6, so it will be money well spent and will last me at the very least till holiday 2028.

Lol, are you really going to play GTA VI on a PS5 Pro? That's going to look so bad lmao. I'm gonna wait at least until PS6 and laugh at everyone who played it on the Pro. Roflmao.

PeteBull

Ok if we want to nitpick - it was 1440p/1.8x (which also turned out to be the most common PS4Pro upgrade) - but majority of those titles also ran better than original or had other enhancements.
But specifically I was comparing to 1st party-games that were done pre-launch:
Knack/Infamous = 1800p cbr (1.6x resolution)
Uncharted = 1440p (1.8x)
Indeed shipped versions eventually had these exact upgrades.

The PS5Pro leak indicated roughly the same increases - arguably slightly better (one 1440p, and one 2x framerate). The point is the scaling clearly isn't linear with TFlops (regardless how you count them) - PS4Pro was ostensibly either much larger increase, or much smaller (if comparing to double rate) but real-world results may end up being very comparable based on what is known so far.
Bro, we know exactly how ps5pr0 gpu gonna look, its downclocked 7800xt https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839
Watch DF vid one more time, this gpu gonna have to be downclocked so ps5pr0 can fit into 220-250W power draw.
timestamped for u just incase

Tldr real performance increase in rasterisation(so non raytracing) will be 60 to 70% uplift, in case of ps4 to ps4pr0 u had 1,84tf to 4,2tf https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-4-pro-gpu.c2876 which was +120%.

Once the GeForce 50xx prices are known, PS5 Pro will look like the greatest deal ever, especially if you can trade in the base model towards it...
This. $500 with AI upscaling and decent RT will look like great deal compared to Nvidia prices.
Bro, we know exactly how ps5pr0 gpu gonna look, its downclocked 7800xt https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839
Watch DF vid one more time, this gpu gonna have to be downclocked so ps5pr0 can fit into 220-250W power draw.
timestamped for u just incase

Tldr real performance increase in rasterisation(so non raytracing) will be 60 to 70% uplift, in case of ps4 to ps4pr0 u had 1,84tf to 4,2tf https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-4-pro-gpu.c2876 which was +120%.

PS5 Pro won't be based on 7800XT, like not at all. GPU will be very different from IPs used to architecture. PS5 Pro is rumored to be 87XX something using RDNA4 IPs and custom AI upscaling units. Forget what those morons are saying.

PeteBull

This. $500 with AI upscaling and decent RT will look like great deal compared to Nvidia prices.

PS5 Pro won't be based on 7800XT, like not at all. GPU will be very different from IPs used to architecture. PS5 Pro is rumored to be 87XX something using RDNA4 IPs and custom AI upscaling units. Forget what those morons are saying.
So devs who got devkits are saying exactly what DF is saying and u telling me sony somehow gets apu that is much more advanced? Why would devs get much weaker devkits then? Silicon for ps5pr0 is already set in stone, for months, we wont get better one.
No point to deceive urself/have balooned expectations, otherwise u will end up like those guys who wanted base ps5 to be 13tflop mashine after series X turned out to be 12tflops.
Edit:
Here written article, maybe thats easier to comprehend

Last edited:

Zathalus

I doubt there is any big difference in performance between RDNA3 and RDNA4 outside of raytracing and AI capabilities. Just like RDNA1/2/3 are very similar in regular rasterization. Seems rather likely the 7800XT will outperform the Pro when RT is not involved.

Yeah PS5 Pro is basically gonna have an underclocked Navi 48 GPU (RDNA4) with 60 CUs

Like a 8700 XT

But PSSR will be exclusive to PS5Pro as it's not AMD technology

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I will. Sony doesn't need most to upgrade. That's not the point.

Top Bottom