• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Unless Sony just hates money, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to play PS2 games on the NGP. The sheer amount of money they could make off the PSN alone with the PS2 library would be staggering. Unless they would need some crazy expensive addition to the NGP, I'm expecting an announcement regarding this sometime this year.

KAL2006

Banned
wienke said:
Unless Sony just hates money, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to play PS2 games on the NGP. The sheer amount of money they could make off the PSN alone with the PS2 library would be staggering. Unless they would need some crazy expensive addition to the NGP, I'm expecting an announcement regarding this sometime this year.

I am wondering if it is technically possible to emulate PS2 on NGP. It's obvious they can't do it on the PS3. I have heard the PS2 architecture is complex that is why it is hard to emulate, of course on PC there are emulators that work (but not 100% on all games) and you need a pretty powerful PC to do it.

legacyzero

Banned
wienke said:
Classics HD would be perfect. they dont even have to be in HD! I lost count on how many times I said to myself, "DAMN I wanna play FFX on my PSP" while at my job.

Noshino

Stephen Colbert said:
Not at all. The NGP would be the $250 dedicted handheld, with a touchscreen on the back for games like Little Deviants, and the Xperia Play 2 would be the $700 cellphone+handheld for richer people who don't mind signing a 2 year contract to get the device for $250. The Xperia Play 2 would be the actual high margin device for Sony. They would both get $300+ for every device sold and $15+ for every NGP game sold for it. There's no downside to Sony. Not making the Xperia Play 2 compatible with NGP games and cartrages would basically be Sony leaving money on the table.

Sure, this sounds great for Sony ERICSSON, SCEI would never allow it as it would take away from them.

Making the NGP a cellphone would sell it to a lot more people. Lots of people, even gamers, don't like the idea of carrying two different devices with them at all times. They like having one pocketable device that they can do everything on, browse the web, play games, take pictures, and make phone calls. That's a big part of the reason why smartphones in general gaming on smartphones in particulary so rapidly became a multibillion dollar industry, but none of the games coming out for the Xperia Play have the kind of appeal that Uncharted and Call of Duty have.

Yes, I actually wanted NGP to be a cellphone, but I thought you were talking abou NGP games being compatible with the Xperia Play...

Besides, the current Xperia Play is ruined by the touchpanel instead of dual analog nubs. Gamers dislike smartphone gaming precisely BECAUSE it feels obnoxious to use touch inputs to control movement and aim. Fingers need to actually interact with the controls and get some feedback in return imo. I think Sony could market and sell a boatload of Xperia Play 2s and a tons of NGP games, possibly even outpace iPhone sales on a week to week basis, if it the Xperia Play 2 could play NGP games and had dual analog nubs.

Uh, you would still be using the touchpads, which I heard werent bad. The biggest issue that at least I had was the lag and the fact that touchscreens controls are obtrusive. The dpad fixes that.

KAL2006 said:
It could happen but I doubt it will happen in the first 3 years of when the NGP is out, so will concentrate on NGP as just a gaming device and nothing more, they don't want NGP to get mixed in with the mobile market (Xperia Play is for that), they want it to rival 3DS. I also expect the device to be much smaller than the NGP, around the same size as the current Xperia Play (it will take some time to pack something as powerful as NGP into a smaller size).

Not making the device as soon as it's viable (whenever they switch over to 22nm) would be akin to turning down free money though. Think about it, every PSP2, Sony can get away with charging with, $299 at most. They could easily sell the Xperia play for $699 (reduced to $299 with a two year contract) and gamers would lap it up.

They get $400 for every device sold, plus $15 on every NGP cartrage sold for the device. Why would Sony turn that down? Unless Sony hates money. Sony would have a lot of leverage when creating such a device. They could see to it that $300 of the $400 goes direcly to SCE, and of course, all profits from game cartrages would go to SCE as well.

I mean seriously, if you were in the market for a cellphone, would you pass up a device that looks like this...
Stephen Colbert said:
Vui3K.png

or this...

nSuOD.jpg

...packing a quad core cortex A9, a SGX543MP4 gpu, a high resolution (960x544) OLED screen, and capable of playing all NGP games.

I seriously think 90% of gamers would be interested in picking up such a device for their next cell phone. The only aspects lacking with the current Xperia Play is the use of a touch panel instead of dual analog nubs, and the lack of games for it that truly feel next gen. This would address both issues.

KAL2006

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Not making the device as soon as it's viable (whenever they switch over to 22nm) would be akin to turning down free money though. Think about it, every PSP2, Sony can get away with charging with, $299 at most. They could easily sell the Xperia play for $699 (reduced to $299 with a two year contract) and gamers would lap it up.

They get $400 for every device sold, plus $15 on every NGP game sold for the device. Why would Sony turn that down?

I mean seriously, if you were in the market for a cellphone, would you pass up a device that looks like this...

Packing a quad core cortex A9, a SGX543MP4 gpu, a high resolution (960x544) OLED screen, and capable of playing all NGP games.

But it won't work at all, how is it possible to get NGP into a size that is acceptable (I doubt 22m will change this). You gotta understand a mobile phone will have to be on all the time. If the device is smaller, then the battery will be smaller. Also let's not forget playing NGP games will kill the battery. If you play an NGP game for 2 hours, you would probably be down to 50% battery life already. Having shit battery life on a phone is just terrible

I don't get something, why did they make it so big and high end. From what I've read you can't even make phone calls on it, and it's too big to really carry in a pocket. Who wants to carry that huge thing around with them in addition to a cellphone, keys, wallet, etc. Also it seems like it being high end it would price most PSP developers out of development.

Noshino

industrialfan225 said:
I don't get something, why did they make it so big and high end. From what I've read you can't even make phone calls on it, and it's too big to really carry in a pocket. Who wants to carry that huge thing around with them in addition to a cellphone, keys, wallet, etc. Also it seems like it being high end it would price most PSP developers out.

I wouldn't mind carrying it. Once again, the portability issue is irrelevant, the same was said about the ipad, and many of that bunch bought the freaking device.

As for developer support, I don't think they are put off by it, as a matter of fact, many have shown interest, despite of the gloom and doom view of the PSP.

theBishop

Banned
Do you guys think Sony's favorite PSN developers like ThatGameCompany, Q Games (Pixeljunk), Jonathan Mak, etc would make NGP titles? That could be amazing.

KAL2006

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
I don't get something, why did they make it so big and high end. From what I've read you can't even make phone calls on it, and it's too big to really carry in a pocket. Who wants to carry that huge thing around with them in addition to a cellphone, keys, wallet, etc. Also it seems like it being high end it would price most PSP developers out.

I prefer it like this, I actually don't carry my gaming handheld around to everywhere I go. I only take it when I know I will need it (long coach ride, travelling (airport and etc)). I would not take it into work, park, shopping, night club and etc. I don't even have a smartphone, just a regular shitty mobile, as I don't like carrying expensive shit around with me, I have lost 3 phones in the past year (luckily shitty ones), due to getting drunk and partying in nughtclubs :). I like my devices separate, if it was an all in one device (NGP + Phone), I'd hate it, playing games will burn the battery which is not a good idea when you are expecting a phone call on the same device.

theBishop said:
Do you guys think Sony's favorite PSN developers like ThatGameCompany, Q Games (Pixeljunk), Jonathan Mak, etc would make NGP titles? That could be amazing.
Q Games made a PSP game, so I wouldn't doubt it. Who worked on the port for flOw?

legacyzero

Banned
I would drop $500 on this thing if it had full access to the PS1 and PS2 libraries. I would want PS3 ports as well. Just the Idea of playing MGS4 on a hand-held.... All over my face Sony. You know what to do.

KAL2006 said:
But it won't work at all, how is it possible to get NGP into a size that is acceptable (I doubt 22m will change this). You gotta understand a mobile phone will have to be on all the time. If the device is smaller, then the battery will be smaller. Also let's not forget playing NGP games will kill the battery. If you play an NGP game for 2 hours, you would probably be down to 50% battery life already. Having shit battery life on a phone is just terrible

Shitty battery life certainly hasn't stopped smartphones or smartphone gaming from taking off thus far.

And I think you're underestimate how big a difference the switch to 22nm would make. 22nm won't be available until 2013 and 28nm most likely won't be available until 2012. Most mobile chipsets including the Xperia Play, the 3DS and the PSP2 will almost certainly still be on 40nm at launch.

Most modern andriod phones use the OMAP3430 soc built on a 65nm process. Comparing the battery life those devices get to a hypothetical built on a 22nm process that would use 1/3rd as much power, isn't exactly a fair comparison.

It was just announced that even the recently unveiled Nvidia Kal-El mobile chip will be 40nm, and it's not launching until early next year.

Switching to 22nm would cut both the size and the energy expenditures of the chips to 1/3rd of what they are currently on the many 65nm andriod smartphones that currently flood the market. I think it would be more than feasible to have such a device once Sony switches over to 22nm.

And this isn't even factoring that quad core cpus and gpus use significantly less power than single core cpus and gpus. By distributing the workload across multiple cores, the energy expenditure and heat loss goes down especially when performing menial tasks like browsing the web or making phone calls.

theBishop

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
I don't get something, why did they make it so big and high end. From what I've read you can't even make phone calls on it, and it's too big to really carry in a pocket. Who wants to carry that huge thing around with them in addition to a cellphone, keys, wallet, etc. Also it seems like it being high end it would price most PSP developers out of development.

Honestly, I think they're ceding that ground to Apple. In time, maybe Playstation Suite will pick up and be a genuine member of the Playstation family on Android. But for now, Apple's got that shit locked up.

A high end system that can still play the low-end games is the best play Sony's got. I'm not making any predictions, but 3DS may run into trouble differentiating itself from the latest powerful phones.

Noshino said:
I wouldn't mind carrying it. Once again, the portability issue is irrelevant, the same was said about the ipad, and many of that bunch bought the freaking device.

As for developer support, I don't think they are put off by it, as a matter of fact, many have shown interest, despite of the gloom and doom view of the PSP.
Come on, that thing can not fit inside a pants pocket comfortable with other things. Also the development costs must be 4-5x higher than PSP games, that prices out most smaller japanese developers, and Japan was the only place that the PSP was really successful in.

theBishop said:

Mak only made one game for PSN, so who knows what he's up to. Also TGC had a 3 game contract with Sony and Journey is the final game of that contract.

industrialfan225 said:

if japanese developers are smart, they'd stick to ps2 level visual for NGP game. a ps2 level game, with higher resolution on a smaller OLED screen will look incredible. imagine MGS3, FF12, Okami in NGP native resolution (higher than pss2 games) on NGP small screen. I bet it look great.

theBishop said:
Honestly, I think they're ceding that ground to Apple. In time, maybe Playstation Suite will pick up and be a genuine member of the Playstation family on Android. But for now, Apple's got that shit locked up.

A high end system that can still play the low-end games is the best play Sony's got. I'm not making any predictions, but 3DS may run into trouble differentiating itself from the latest powerful phones.
Doesn't the PSP2 use the Android OS? The Iphone hasn't made much ground over the years either, they've lost a lot of marketshare to android based phones in 2010, probably getting even worse now.

KAL2006

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Shitty battery life certainly hasn't stopped smartphones or smartphone gaming from taking off thus far.

And I think you're underestimate how big a difference the switch to 22nm would make. 22nm won't be available until 2013 and 28nm most likely won't be available until 2012. Most mobile chipsets including I would guess the Xperia Play, the 3DS and the PSP2 will still be on 45nm at launch.

Switching to 22nm would cut both the size and the energy expenditures of the chips by HALF. I think it would be more than feasible to have such a device once Sony switches over to 22nm.

And this isn't even factoring that quad core cpus and gpus use significantly less power than single core cpus and gpus. By distributing the workload across multiple cores, the energy expenditure and heat loss goes down especially when performing menial tasks like browsing the web or making phone calls.

I am certain NGP games will be more graphic intensive meaning more power draining, these games are not as simple as Angry Birds. And I still think it will not be posible to get the size down that much. I think one of the main reasons NGP is so big is so they can fit a huge battery inside it.

JVIDICAN

industrialfan225 said:
Doesn't the PSP2 use the Android OS? The Iphone hasn't made much ground over the years either, they've lost a lot of marketshare to android based phones in 2010, probably getting even worse now.
It's a custom game OS I believe. It looks like it's at least based off of android OS though.

theBishop

Banned
industrialfan225 said:

PSP2 does not use Android, but it will support the Playstation Suite stuff.

And yeah, I do think iOS will lose out to Android over the long term. Commodity stuff tends to win in the end. So even though Playstation Suite looks kind of lame right now, it puts Sony in a decent position to "own" gaming on Android in a way that Google hasn't really cultivated. Assuming Valve or somebody doesn't swoop in.

Noshino

theBishop said:

Not only that, but a closed system is seen as a much more secure environment to studios than a mobile OS, specially after the DMCA exemption.

SolidSnakex said:
Mak only made one game for PSN, so who knows what he's up to. Also TGC had a 3 game contract with Sony and Journey is the final game of that contract.

Wait, I still don't get this. I know that Sony has a 3-game contract with TGC, but do we know for sure whether flOw was part of it or not? after all, it was just a port :C

KAL2006 said:
I am certain NGP games will be more graphic intensive meaning more power draining, these games are not as simple as Angry Birds. And I still think it will not be posible to get the size down that much. I think one of the main reasons NGP is so big is so they can fit a huge battery inside it.

I wonder how big the battery is. NGP is pretty thin, and they have mem card slot and rear touch pad too.

legacyzero said:
I would drop $500 on this thing if it had full access to the PS1 and PS2 libraries. I would want PS3 ports as well. Just the Idea of playing MGS4 on a hand-held.... All over my face Sony. You know what to do.

$500 aside, I like the way you think newguy. With full PS1/2 access I would unzip my pants right now if Kojima Productions announced MGS4:Subtance/Subsistence Edition for PSP2. I've been waiting for the remix for a while.

KAL2006

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
Come on, that thing can not fit inside a pants pocket comfortable with other things. Also the development costs must be 4-5x higher than PSP games, that prices out most smaller japanese developers, and Japan was the only place that the PSP was really successful in.

The PSP also didn't fit inside a pocket, this device is actually slimmer and lighter than the original PSP. Development costs are as expensive as how the developer wants it to be. They can make a small game like Nintendogs if they want.

EDIT: I don't know about you folks, but one of the main attractions I have to this device is it's big 5" screen

theBishop

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
$500 aside, I like the way you think newguy. With full PS1/2 access I would unzip my pants right now if Kojima Productions announced MGS4:Subtance/Subsistence Edition for PSP2. I've been waiting for the remix for a while.

Is Kojima/Konami doing anything to keep the MGO community alive? I could have gotten into that if the network implementation didn't suck so hard. That alone would justify a remix imo.

KAL2006

Banned
Callibretto said:
I wonder how big the battery is. NGP is pretty thin, and they have mem card slot and rear touch pad too.

well the iPad and iPhone are pretty slim, and most of the devices are mainly battery/s filling up the inside.

theBishop

Banned
KAL2006 said:
The PSP also didn't fit inside a pocket, this device is actually slimmer and lighter than the original PSP. Development costs are as expensive as how the developer wants it to be. They can make a small game like Nintendogs if they want.

Between PS Suite, PSN, and retail, no doubt there will be some pet sim stuff. I definitely think popular mobile games will play on NGP. Angry Birds is already playable on PSP via the Mini, and NGP's touch screen makes it a no-brainer to support.

KAL2006

Banned
theBishop said:
Between PS Suite, PSN, and retail, no doubt there will be some pet sim stuff. I definitely think popular mobile games will play on NGP. Angry Birds is already playable on PSP via the Mini, and NGP's touch screen makes it a no-brainer to support.

Part of me wishes that this doesn't happen, but NGP having a touch screen guarantees, shitty Petz games from Ubisoft.

Most modern andriod phones use the OMAP3430 soc built on a 65nm process. Comparing the battery life those devices get to a hypothetical built on a 22nm process that would use 1/3rd as much power, isn't exactly a fair comparison

KAL2006 said:

Yes, they would more graphics intensive, but like I said, the switch from 65nm (most Andriod phones) to 22nm cuts the power usage by 67%. The switch to multicore cpus and gpus also reduces power usage. The OLED screen (the component that uses the most amount of power) likewise uses less power than the IPS displays found on most cellphones. Add that all up and it's quite viable that an NGP with a 4.3 inch screen built on a 22nm process will have a very light footprint when playing Uncharted, atleast one comparable to a 65nm Driod X playing Angry Birds.

And there's no reason why the Xperia Play 2 has to be tiny either. Smartphones like the Driod X and the Evo 4G are fairly close to the Nintendo 3DS in size, by no means tiny.

The NGP is big because Sony wanted it to have 5" screen. If they were trying to maximize the battery size, they could have easily made the device thicker. As it is, the NGP is an extremely thin device, thinner than the vast majority of smartphones I've seen.

KAL2006 said:

EDIT: I don't know about you folks, but one of the main attractions I have to this device is it's big 5" screen
The PSP3000 is still too big to fit in a pocket even if it is smaller than the original. The PSP2 is even bigger than that.

Gravijah

industrialfan225 said:
The PSP3000 is still too big to fit in a pocket even if it is smaller than the original. The PSP2 is even bigger than that.

good

if you children want a portable that can fit in your pants, buy a game boy pocket!

-scoffs-

KAL2006

Banned
industrialfan225 said:

Seriously if you are thinking of taking a handheld gaming device everywhere in your pocket all the time, then I would just stick to an iPhone (or get a GameBoy Micro)

The PSP and the NGP were not make to fit in your pocket, (its called Playstation Portable, not Pocket). I have been carrying handhelds mainly in my bag or big coat/jacket pocket since the Gameboy and Gamegear (those were huge too). I also don't take my handheld device everywhere, mainly coach ride, holiday, airport/airplane, long breaks at work, staying over another persons house and etc). I mainly just lug my handheld gaming device around the home, so I can play instantly when I feel like (while in bed, while the tv is used and etc)

KAL2006

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Most modern andriod phones use the OMAP3430 soc built on a 65nm process. Comparing the battery life those devices get to a hypothetical built on a 22nm process that would use 1/3rd as much power, isn't exactly a fair comparison

Yes, they would more graphics intensive, but like I said, the switch from 65nm (most Andriod phones) to 22nm cuts the power usage by 67%. The switch to multicore cpus and gpus also reduces power usage. The OLED screen (the component that uses the most amount of power) likewise uses less power than the IPS displays found on most cellphones. Add that all up and it's quite viable that an NGP with a 4.3 inch screen built on a 22nm process will have a very light footprint when playing Uncharted, atleast one comparable to a 65nm Driod X playing Angry Birds.

And there's no reason why the Xperia Play 2 has to be tiny either. Smartphones like the Driod X and the Evo 4G are fairly close to the Nintendo 3DS in size, by no means tiny.

The NGP is big because Sony wanted it to have 5" screen. If they were trying to maximize the battery size, they could have easily made the device thicker. As it is, the NGP is an extremely thin device, thinner than the vast majority of smartphones I've seen.

I doubt that is the reason why NGP is so big. It is most likely that they needed to make the device big because of the components, battery and overheating problems. Due to the device being big they then decided they may as well take advantage of the big size by adding a huge screen. As for NGP being slim, well the iPhone and iPad are also quite slim and they have battery/s taking up most of the space.

legacyzero

Banned
theBishop said:
Is Kojima/Konami doing anything to keep the MGO community alive? I could have gotten into that if the network implementation didn't suck so hard. That alone would justify a remix imo.
Two things stopped me from playing MGO regularly:

1: That stupid fucking mess that was Konami ID
2: I got severely destroyed every time I logged in

Takao

Banned
Ya'll lame, when I was younger I used to bring my UMD PSP everywhere with me. Sure, it would sometimes almost take my pants off, but shit was coming with me. It became a lot easier with the Go.

Gravijah

Takao said:
Ya'll lame, when I was younger I used to bring my UMD PSP everywhere with me. Sure, it would sometimes almost take my pants off, but shit was coming with me. It became a lot easier with the Go.

I could never game outside. Too much distraction.

KAL2006 said:
I doubt that is the reason why NGP is so big. It is most likely that they needed to make the device big because of the components, battery and overheating problems. Due to the device being big they then decided they may as well take advantage of the big size by adding a huge screen. As for NGP being slim, well the iPhone and iPad are also quite slim and they have battery/s taking up most of the space.

It was reported that it came in a slide factor at one point then got changed due to overheating.

I also doubt they would be adding that screen as a last minute either.

KAL2006

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
It was reported that it came in a slide factor at one point then got changed due to overheating.

I also doubt they would be adding that screen as a last minute either.

its not adding a screen in the last minute, they took everything into consideration when designing the hardware. Knowing making a powerful system will require a huge device means that it would be appropriate to add a bigger screen.

wienke said:
Unless Sony just hates money, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to play PS2 games on the NGP. The sheer amount of money they could make off the PSN alone with the PS2 library would be staggering.

Pretty doubtful. If there was some huge amount of money to be made selling PS2 games on PSN, they would have kept the BC chips in the new PS3s and started selling the games already.

I mean, I'm not saying it's inconceivable that the device will support PS2 emulation (though that'd still be a mean feat), but I don't see any strong case that it must or they're leaving money on the table.

industrialfan225 said:
I don't get something, why did they make it so big and high end.

Because between mobile phones and the 3DS all the other niches were already taken. Sony had the choice of making a low-end device (that'd probably compare unfavorably to their other competitors) or distinguishing themselves by offering the premier graphically-impressive core-gaming handheld device; the latter isn't necessarily the best niche anyone could have, but it was the best one available to Sony right now.

industrialfan225 said:
Also the development costs must be 4-5x higher than PSP games, that prices out most smaller japanese developers

Eh, not really. Japanese developers will do the same thing on NGP that they do now on PS3: develop relatively inexpensive games that have potentially sustainable budgets but provoke ludicrous hand-wringing threads about the death of Japanese development.

industrialfan225 said:
Doesn't the PSP2 use the Android OS?

Nope, nor does it use an OS "based off of it" or any other silliness like that.

T-Matt

Beyond the cool stuff this will have I hope the web browsing experience is good, 5 inch screen with that resolution would be nice.
Also I'm gonna need plants vs zombies and peggle on this Popcap.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stephen Colbert said:
I seriously think 90% of gamers would be interested in picking up such a device for their next cell phone. The only aspects lacking with the current Xperia Play is the use of a touch panel instead of dual analog nubs, and the lack of games for it that truly feel next gen. This would address both issues.

Eh, I don't know. Define gamer: is it a GAFfer/member of a video game forum or community? Is it someone who's been playing games for a long time (as opposed to someone who got in rather recently with the DS/PSP, Wii or iOS)? Recently? The entire active market (say, people who've bought at least one game in the past five years)? I can sort of see your point if you're talking about GAFfer, but even then I hardly think it reaches 90%. The rate probably goes lower and lower as you broaden the spectrum to account for more types of gamers.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Takao said:

people in this thread never had a original gameboy or even a game gear for that matter.

g35twinturbo said:
people in this thread never had a original gameboy or even a game gear for that matter.
We did, but remember, in that era in the West videogames were seen as primarily for kids. Portable systems weren't really for taking anywhere outside the house, they were for playing in our bedrooms or livingrooms, and possibly the car. There's no way a person would take a game system to school back then. If you did take it somewhere you threw it in your backpack.

These days a good portable game system is something you take everywhere with you. And I don't take a bag with me everywhere I go. If I want to play a quick game at the theater before a movie starts, I want a game system that can comfortably fit in my pants pocket.

I'm looking forward to the NGP, but damn I'll miss the portability of my PSPGo.

Stephen Colbert said:
And while we're at it, I would like the next iteration of the Xperia Play to be able to play all NGP games that don't neccesitate the use of the touchpad for controls. It should be doable if they stick a quad core A9 and the SGX543MP4 in the Xperia Play 2.

More like Xperia Play 3 or 4, Xperia Play 2 will probably require Android 3 or maybe 3.5 or whatever is out at that time and play PSP games though.

EDIT: To expand on this point a bit more, just putting the same chips on the phone won't yield the same results. John Carmack said the NGP should perform one whole generation ahead of similar specced smartphones. When you think about it, it makes sense as the phone needs to handle stuff that NGP won't have to due to it not being a phone. What that means is a phone will have to have higher specs in order to be able to emulate NGP games.

charlequin said:
I mean, I'm not saying it's inconceivable that the device will support PS2 emulation (though that'd still be a mean feat), but I don't see any strong case that it must or they're leaving money on the table.

Well they would definitely be leaving money on the table, the question is how much. I do agree that is not such a huge billions of dollars thing like some people make it sound, but there's definitely money to be made. I've said it before, but I believe a storefront "PSTwo Classics" that mirrors the video store with PS2HD (when available) and PS2 SD (cheaper and maybe only option when HD is not available) would be much welcome.

T-Matt said:
Beyond the cool stuff this will have I hope the web browsing experience is good, 5 inch screen with that resolution would be nice.

I hope they give us option between Chrome, Opera and Firefox. If not, just make a deal with one of them and have it there day 1, anything is better than what they have now. I would personally want Chrome.

Also, while looking at Carmack's twitter, I saw that he got asked if there are any plans for a RAGE spin off on 3DS or PSP, to which he replied

We don't have any plans, but the NGP could handle Rage retuned for 30 hz and a smaller dataset.

I think he's talking about the game, not the engine, but it's impressive, hopefully they'll do something with that engine on NGP.

Canova

Banned
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/22/nomura_dengeki_interview/

KH:BBS on PSN?
Nomura's game on NGP?

Regarding a possible Kingom Hearts Birth by Sleep download release, Nomura says that this is difficult for a reason he can't say. The problem is separate from Square Enix, Disney or Utada Hikaru (who sings the theme songs). "I want to do something, but it will take time."

On Sony's new NGP system, producer Yoshinori Kitase was apparently in attendance at Sony's unveiling press conference. Kitase shared his opinions and ideas with Sony during the hardware's development (a recent Famitsu interview with Sony Computer Entertainment's president revealed that Sony did actively go around getting input from developers when developing the NGP). However, Nomura said that he could not yet talk about his (or possibly Square Enix's) plans for NGP titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom