• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
gofreak said:
They've possibly made the boldest move of any of the gaming companies in that respect.

They're going to where the casuals are, swallowing their pride and recognising that it's increasingly unlikely the casuals will come to them on a dedicated device.

It's a 4-core PowerVR SGX543. 4 of the GPUs in the iPhone4. But we don't know clockspeed.

I'm not sure there's anything comparable. For perspective, Apple is rumoured to be putting 2 of these in the iPhone5.
The iPhone uses an SGX535, each individual core hear is already twice as fast as the iPhone's gpu. Its worth noting that Apple's next revision will be literally half an psp2 (dual A9 + SGX543MP2) although the apparent inclusion of 128MB of VRAM could make a telling difference.

Brashnir

Glad they put a second analog stick on it. Hopefully the touchscreen can be used to approximate the missing buttons from other standard console controllers.

Have they said how much RAM it's going to have? Don't see that in any of the listed specs, but I may have overlooked it.

Amon37

Kodiak said:
You want buttons? We got buttons.

You want an analog stick? Fuck, how about two? Whatever.

You say you like twistin your system around like a dumbass? Boom we put a gyroscope inside this bitch.

Need to touch shit? We got you covered. Fuck, you can even touch the back too. That's some crazy shit. Why did we even put that there? I don't know.

You want 3G for downloading games and such? No problem. Just pay us some money or something, that shit ain't free.

You need graphics like you have at home you needy bitch? Sure, take 'em. We'll throw in a high res screen, too. Why not?

Fuck.
Not enough Lol's

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Elios83 said:
SCEE president Andrew House on the EU Blog:

We have learnt a great deal from our previous experiences and as such will be distributing games both at retail and via the PlayStation Network. We want to give consumers the choice as to how they access the great content available on NGP.

Expected and welcomed.

What has me thinking is this - are there maybe too many different input methods on this thing? Dual analog, touch screen, touch pad, motion sensor, GPS. The worst case scenario is games that try to spread out the controls over too many of these aspects - like a Swiss Army Knife of straight up awkward. I hope there are some options for us to use if we don't want to use some of that stuff.

DieH@rd said:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/sony-tokyo-event-1550.jpg[/ig]

Kojima mentioned that ps3 tech demo was directly exported to PSP2, no downgrades to textures/geometry. But it also worked @ 20fps.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if we'll see sub-544p games..

I can't believe a a handheld can produce such graphics. My mind simply cannot wrap around it. Thing thing is either going to be expensive as heck, or have a battery life of one hour.

Still... I have to say it looks good. If the problems I touched upon above aren't present, I might be getting this.

Metal B

Why release a handheld, that could hurt your console sales? So Sony is fighting pretty much them self now. Strange move ...

darkwing

Elios83 said:

We have learnt a great deal from our previous experiences and as such will be distributing games both at retail and via the PlayStation Network. We want to give consumers the choice as to how they access the great content available on NGP.

i guess they learned their lesson

seady

67e47f59jw6ddr09028ptj.jpg

Wow I just realized it uses new media. Looks like DS cartridge.
What about my UMD? :(

What they need to do now is to find a way to bundle each copy of retail game with a code to download the digital version.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
_Alkaline_ said:
You want to empty your bank account for us? Don't worry, we're already on it.

You want to us drive our gaming divison further down the dumpter? We're halfway there!

I don't get how you can be such a synic, the PSP is a great system with horrendous piracy problems - if they can address that concern to a certain degree, the PSP2 has every reason to be an incredible platform

Man

Fantastic!

I embrace our new digital overlords.

The first sign was them saying you can just click on the games other people are playing in the Near service and buy them directly.

Touchstone

Neo Member
Me too! I mean, ports can be great. Take P3P for example. It added an entirely new way to play and added some extra content.

But what I really want to see is an original game built from the ground up with the NGP in mind. I'm guessing devs had short notice, as one of them said it was the first time they had seen their game run on it.

DigiMish

Kodiak said:
You want buttons? We got buttons.

You want an analog stick? Fuck, how about two? Whatever.

You say you like twistin your system around like a dumbass? Boom we put a gyroscope inside this bitch.

Need to touch shit? We got you covered. Fuck, you can even touch the back too. That's some crazy shit. Why did we even put that there? I don't know.

You want 3G for downloading games and such? No problem. Just pay us some money or something, that shit ain't free.

You need graphics like you have at home you needy bitch? Sure, take 'em. We'll throw in a high res screen, too. Why not?

Fuck.

Would be amazing if that came from Kevin Butler.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:
The iPhone uses an SGX535, each individual core hear is already twice as fast as the iPhone's gpu.

I thought iPhone4 moved on to 543s?

We'll see about memory layout, but the most significant difference in the longer run, hardware aside, will remain the closed development environment.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This thing looks as if fifteen different prototypes came together and fought a terrible war... and none of them survived.

Mdk7

Just gimme a Little Deviants trailer and a few screens of that.
I'm already in love with those orange guys. *__*

Azrael

If you're playing a PSP game on PSP 2, I wonder if you'll be able to map functions from other inputs onto the right analog stick. That would be very handy.

Dash Kappei said:
How the fuck are you supposed to hold that hideous thing for touch-screen games?
It amazes me how they did so much wrong with the design, they even backpedaled from GO's slide which should have been a given if they wanted to just build on PSP's design.

This is what bugs the fuck out of me. You literally need to hold this thing with one hand, either on the left side or the right side while you use the other now free hand to use the touchpad. That sounds uncomfortable as hell on the lone hand that is holding the NGP leve and steady. If they wanted to be awesome. they should have put two seperate smaller touchpads on both sides on the back.

Yoschi

J2d said:
I kinda want a PSPGo now...
It's nice, you should get one. Just be aware of the limitations.

I feel like in an episode of Game Dev Story, where my company Somy has just released the most awesome crazy portable console there is. Sales are gonna be slow and thing is expensive but who cares, it's awesome. And only me is going to be making games for it. Yeehah, solo ride mfuckers

This thing had better have an HDMI output.

It will probably be FIVE-HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS at launch too. The amount of hardware they are planning to pack in this thing is not cheap.

Kodiak said:
I don't get how you can be such a synic, the PSP is a great system with horrendous piracy problems - if they can address that concern to a certain degree, the PSP2 has every reason to be an incredible platform
Cynics are a dime a dozen on Neogaf. Don't make him feel special now.

250 and they win, 299 and they will be great competition for the 3ds, any higher than that and they will have a ps3 launch situation on their hands.

DiscoJer

Jea Song said:
I think many of us are overlooking the android part of this device. Was it clear on what that means exactly? Does this mean android marketplace and apps? I'm confused on the whole android connection.

Sony is starting their own line of Android stuff, Playstation Suite. They are trying to set a standard when it comes to games, so rather than develop for each type of Android hardware, people develop for that standard.

And the NGP will run the stuff built for this standard. It remains to be seen how open it will be - will they let anything go up there, does it have to be approved (or rated). Does it have to even be a game?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Kaijima said:
This thing looks as if fifteen different prototypes came together and fought a terrible war... and none of them survived.
LOL..

Anyway this shit is gong to be amazing and EXPENSIVE.

Calling it, $499 USD.

Kodiak said:

I'm sure it'll be a great system, but I really think Sony is going the wrong way about things. The industry is moving further and further towards inexpensive products and a casual userbase. The PSP2 won't appeal to the majority of these people, leaving it virtually with only the core niche of gamers to please.

The 3DS is overpriced as well but the PSP2 is making it look inexpensive in comparison. Sony have a beautiful opportunity to move under the 3DS and deliver something cheap and born for the pick-up-and-play games that are all the rage for portable hardware these days.

Instead they're following the same mentality that made the PSP a distant second and the PS3 a ridiculous fall from grace.

Cartman86

Banned
Jea Song said:
If true, playstation suite, along with phones like the xperia play, apple may be in big trouble here.

Apple is only in the trouble in the sense that Android is everywhere and is starting to get the games. The issue I see with this is that Sony's app is just that. An app. The games might not be featured on the Android market and people won't find them nearly as often as they would Cut the Rope or something. However I don't think Google allows links to other markets on their store, so maybe the Sony app is the library container and the games will be featured in the Android Market.

It seems though that Sony is really guarding this suite though, so you won't see every Android game showing up on NGP, but I can imagine PopCap making Plants vs Zombies for Android and as part of their porting for Droid, Droid X, Evo etc they just make sure it support PS Suite and it would easily work on NGP... That is if the process is actually that simple (maybe a little harder). I think it needs to be for this to really matter. It should essentially be like a Steam Play feature.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I NEED SCISSORS said:
What has me thinking is this - are there maybe too many different input methods on this thing? Dual analog, touch screen, touch pad, motion sensor, GPS. The worst case scenario is games that try to spread out the controls over too many of these aspects - like a Swiss Army Knife of straight up awkward. I hope there are some options for us to use if we don't want to use some of that stuff.

The Uncharted demo looked like an exemplar in that respect...different options for how to play. You could use analog stick or touchpad for movement even, as far as I could tell. Swipe at enemies with front touch or (I guess) with a button. There seemed to be a number of different alternatives like that Of course different games will map things to suit those games, and may give more or fewer options. The one takeaway I got from the Uncharted demo, though, was - 'yes, this will offer a distinct ways to play vs how you play at home'.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
The iPhone uses an SGX535, each individual core hear is already twice as fast as the iPhone's gpu. Its worth noting that Apple's next revision will be literally half an psp2 (dual A9 + SGX543MP2) although the apparent inclusion of 128MB of VRAM could make a telling difference.

But wouldn't that increase the BOM significantly?

Crakatak187 said:
Cynics are a dime a dozen on Neogaf. Don't make him feel special now.

Either contribute to the argument or move your fanboyism elsewhere. I have no time for useless comments like that.

Suzzopher said:
The track pad makes me excited for the next Football Manager Handheld.
The quad core CPU and 640MB of RAM should as well. We should be able to get the full football manager experience on the go.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Conflict NZ said:
250 and they win, 299 and they will be great competition for the 3ds, any higher than that and they will have a ps3 launch situation on their hands.

250 is a pipe dream. 299 is possible but unlikely. I'm expecting $350-$400.

TripOpt55

I like it. I guess there aren't any good videos of the game reel or the Uncharted presentation? They were hard to see in the stream.

Omiee

gofreak said:
The Uncharted demo looked like an exemplar in that respect...different options for how to play. You could use analog stick or touchpad for movement even, as far as I could tell. Swipe at enemies with front touch or (I guess) with a button. There seemed to be a number of different alternatives like that Of course different games will map things to suit those games, and may give more or fewer options. The one takeaway I got from the Uncharted demo, though, was - 'yes, this will offer a distinct ways to play vs how you play at home'.

good news for the future

Piggus

EvilDick34 said:
This is what bugs the fuck out of me. You literally need to hold this thing with one hand, either on the left side or the right side while you use the other now free hand to use the touchpad. That sounds uncomfortable as hell on the lone hand that is holding the NGP leve and steady. If they wanted to be awesome. they should have put two seperate smaller touchpads on both sides on the back.

Kinda like how you hold the DS/3DS?

Funny how a lot of the complaints aren't just things limited to the PSP.

Azrael

The PS3 was so expensive because of Blu-ray, not because of its cutting-edge specs. Blu-ray was a double whammy because not only was the drive itself expensive, it meant every system had to have a hard drive. I'm expecting $299/35,000 yen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom