• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

Branduil said:
I don't see that at all.

The difference between DS and PSP was quite clear. PSP2 does look better than the 3DS, but both look better than PS2-era games and worse than modern-era console games. PSP2 has a much higher-res screen but 3DS has the unknown "3D" factor going for it.

DS was like a PSONE
PSP was like a DC or midlevel Ps2, that is a huge gap.

I agree, this is much closer now.

Jaagen

RadioHeadAche said:
Was the PSP2 shown during the conference plugged into something? By that I mean did it look like it had a power cord attached to it?

I guess it was for video feed. It's common practice to do so.

mandiller

I bet'cha the device is so big not because of the CPU hardware inside, but because its hauling a big battery. It'd have to if it wants to last more than 3 hours.

If the battery life is crap (ie: even below 3DS) then I shall prepare the popcorn for the imminent GAF meltdown.

The device and UI looks kind of ugly and a step back, but the graphics on it look quite amazing. So it has that going for it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Not particularly impressed with the reveal (graphics horsepower does not make the handheld, son) but since it is getting Uncharted I'll have to buy one.

That's more than I can say about the 3DS at the moment, which has literally NO 1st party software currently announced that that I'm interested in.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Operations said:
Its an incredibly powerful handheld capable of replicating the console experience...

So where's the change of strategy?

well, appealing to a certain demographic that isnt covered by nintendo's handheld means you make your own market that has unique products

but im guessing itll be 399. also some idiot who was saying sony follows them cause of touch screen is ridiculous and needs to remember that cell phones or ipods are touch screened too, and just because sony is making a "gaming handheld" that has a touch screen doesnt set it so far apart from other devices. how do you know they're not copying cell phones or ipods?

Scotch

I really like the design. Looks more comfortable than the PSP.

But I simply have no interest in playing games like Uncharted on a portable system.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Sony will be able to slip Analog Buttons into there also. Also, nice news on the Android Applications working on it, will allow it a way to compete directly with Apple to try and get that segment of gamers.

I will be surprised if it doesn't come out this year in all major territories, it sounds like the hardware is good to go. Its a thick thing too, so I hope they are using that space for some large battery.

I will be shocked if this thing is actually $300, I fully expect $400. I hope someone from SCEA sheds some light on how the 3G connectivity will work for people in the US. Will it be Kindle like and you will have life time access, will you have to pay a single company or can you choice, ect.

Its an incredibly powerful handheld capable of replicating the console experience...

So where's the change of strategy?
They have the 6th best selling video game system ever, why do they need to chance strategy?

I'll probably get one, but for all the talk leading up to this of devs working on it for a while, I'm surprised there wasn't more original content on display. An awful lot of "ported in a week" material.

Also, if they're going to keep pointing toward cross-compatibility with PS3 content, two more shoulder buttons (maybe Classic Controller-style) and clickable sticks are in order.

Pooya

wonder how big are those memory cards, they must be at least 8-16gb, games are going to be expensive I think.

Deku

Banned
If this is 3G enabled with no separate SKU, how does the data plan work, or does all the issues already discussed come into play ie: tethered to preferred carriers, paying for another subscription for it???

Omiee

ok so it does have a touch screen?
and man playstation suite sounds awesome, and i dont get why people would be bitching about 350 or 300 when mobile phones coast like double that sometimes.

haha at people still saying $299 or under, for this beast beauty I got $400 now as the minimum , welp *starts saving money*

rip to my wallet

amazing presentation

Durante

Well, at least on the CPU side it's a >> 10x jump from 3DS, so I do believe you can call it a huge difference. Again.

KingJ2002 said:
outputx7d6.gif

Xater

Tech is impressive, I like the design and I am already on board because of Wipeout. Now let's see the pricing and Sony might get my money this year.

miladesn said:
wonder how big are those memory cards, they must be at least 8-16gb, games are going to be expensive I think.

I doubt games will be that large, at least at first. I say 2-4GB.

Pleasantly surprised they went for ARM, good call.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The touch screen + 3G is a very smart move. This opens it up to a ton of games that already exist on iOS and Android.

I'm real happy about Kojima talking about playing a PS3 game then continuing the same game on NGP.

I think this will keep PS3's lifespan even longer and that's good news for all PS3 owners.

Danielsan

davepoobond said:
well, appealing to a certain demographic that isnt covered by nintendo's handheld means you make your own market that has unique products

but im guessing itll be 399. also some idiot who was saying sony follows them cause of touch screen is ridiculous and needs to remember that cell phones or ipods are touch screened too, and just because sony is making a "gaming handheld" that has a touch screen doesnt set it so far apart from other devices. how do you know they're not copying cell phones or ipods?
It's not even copying. These days people are very much used to interacting with touch screen technology. From the ipod touch, smart phones, digital cameras to refrigerators. Everything has a touch panel these days.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
iphone 4's cost of materials estimated at $188 in june 2010. This is going to be 1.5 years later, with similar features + a higher end cpu/gpu + big OLED display.

$300 should be possible. Will it happen? No idea, but that's really the highest price I see being halfway viable for success.

Two dual analog sticks finally. The specs look expensive. Thank god it's not download only and Sony learned from the PspGo. They took out backward compatible with UMD's which I have no problems with. No info on price or battery life. My guess would be $349 - $399. Any higher would be a disaster. Hopefully better battery life since it's now flash media instead of disc.

marathonfool said:
I'm real happy about Kojima talking about playing a PS3 game then continuing the same game on NGP.

I think this will keep PS3's lifespan even longer and that's good news for all PS3 owners.

Since it's Kojima it won't be as simple as them just allowing them to transfer your progress to the PS3. He'll definitely do a lot more just to make you want to own both versions.

Jaagen said:
Is it just me, or is the console just ugly. Like the 3DS, the design is very unappealing in comparison to how it looked last gen. To me, the PSP and DSi looks a lot better.

(still want this and the 3DS, though)

EDIT: And the UI is just ugh...
I don't think they could come up with a worse design if they tried. Hideous, uncomfortable and not in any way fitting of the term 'portable'.

I'll stick with my Go for now, never has a machine been in such desperate need of a revision. PSP BC is interesting but could be a key contributer to the size and cost of the machine.

Foffy said:
For me, the price is the biggest factor here. I am fine with the battery as I can always charge it if need be, but the price is a much bigger fence to climb over. And of course, the games. I was sold on Uncharted, but some of the other titles they showed had me less interested...some looked like ports, which is what I don't like about the 3DS.
Haha, for me it's like this. If the price is too high, I'll just wait till it comes down. I'm not a true gaffer in the sense that I don't have trouble waiting months or years to get hardware/software. The battery life however; that can't be changed easily over time, so unless there are regular hardware updates who improve it, I'm not getting the PSP2 if the battery life sucks ass.

But yes, you nailed it: software is the most important of all.

The M.O.B said:
DS was like a PSONE
PSP was like a DC or midlevel Ps2, that is a huge gap.

I agree, this is much closer now.

I think it's a moot point, really. While your post is entirely correct, graphical power has proven to be a minimal factor in handheld success. The DS was still much more successful than the PSP even with a larger gap than that between the 3DS and PSP2, so I think their comparative power is a very minor factor in the consumer's eyes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
iphone 4's cost of materials estimated at $188 in june 2010. This is going to be 1.5 years later, with similar features + a higher end cpu/gpu + big OLED display.

$300 should be possible. Will it happen? No idea, but that's really the highest price I see being halfway viable for success.
Isn't the most expensive part of the 3DS the 3D screen anyway?

No TV out port? :(
Aw, I just noticed that too, I hope they add that later on, with Bluetooth it would be great to hook up to an HDTV. All they have to do is stick a mini-HDMI port on it.

Toki767

What features could specifically bump the price up? The OLED screen is one. I'm sure 3G is another. What about the rest of the specs?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Games wise still nothing too specific to be exciting. Console-lite games is not what I want on a portable.

Then again 3DS is in the same situation.

KingJ2002

Nabs said:

you laugh now... and if the system launched now then yeah... i'd doubt my prediction.

but you will buy the system at 299.99 during the holiday season, look at the receipt... realize i was right, turn it on and blow your friggin mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom