• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omiee

EviLore said:
iphone 4's cost of materials estimated at $188 in june 2010. This is going to be 1.5 years later, with similar features + a higher end cpu/gpu + big OLED display.

$300 should be possible. Will it happen? No idea, but that's really the highest price I see being halfway viable for success.

finally someone who answers my questions, if this could be produced for less than 250$ which is possible. why would sony not release this for 299 and break about even without losing money on it.

Also from what i read on kotaku they said developers were saying it was realy easy to develop for, this and the touch screen make me thing sony will handle software way better with the psp2.
i can see them letting people release apps and small games on it that only use the touch screen and are just a couple of bucks.

Jea Song said:
I still don't get the no hdmi complaint. Ok, yea I wish it had it, but this is a portable. How many psp owners on a regular basis play their psp's using the component cables?
The difference is that the NGP resolution isn't as crappy as the PSP resolution, so it shouldn't be that bad on a TV or monitor.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
dynamitejim said:
The 2 cameras, 5" screen, rear touch pad, and 3G seem like overkill. And no HDMI output is lame. Pretty damn impressive otherwise. Surprisingly thin as well. Can't wait to see whether they really disappoint or pull some kind of magic with the battery life.

The PSPGo also has a propriety output that lets you plug it to TVs. I'm sure this will offer the same functionality. Base of the unit looks pretty similar.

LevityNYC

Banned
Omiee said:
finally someone who answers my questions, if this could be produced for less than 250$ which is possible. why would sony not release this for 299 and break about even without losing money on it.

Also from what i read on kotaku they said developers were saying it was realy easy to develop for, this and the touch screen make me thing sony will handle software way better with the psp2.
i can see them letting people release apps and small games on it that only use the touch screen and are just a couple of bucks.

Because the second this thing gets hacked, they are royally fucked. They learned that the hard way with the PSP.

DiscoJer

zoukka said:
Puzzle games.
Metroidvania.
Advance Wars type of strategy.
Platformers.
Turn based RPG's.

k thx.

Why wouldn't it have those on this?

Indeed, since it's apparently BC with PSP games on PSN, it's already got a big library of all of those (save Metroidvania, just SOTN).

Yes of course, the PSP had no games. Blah blah blah.

But beyond that, since it's going to run Android, it's going to get those games. At least the ones approved for the Playstation Suite thing.

Jb

Wait, so if the NGP has BC, does that mean I'll be able to transfer every game I bought from the PSN (I have a Go)? Would be really cool.
Peace Walker with 2 sticks. do it kojima

seady

The NGP feels much less sophisticated than the PSP. Maybe it's the lack of buttons and signs/logos.

Sony-PSP-3000.jpg
photo3.jpg

Wait so with the Android stuff...will this have the android app store available on the system? Or at least have an android games section to download android games? Or is it just PSone games being put on the Android store

daoster

One thing I'm iffy about is 3G.

Can you play a Call of Duty type game on 3G (albeit on a portable) without lag? I dunno...

slider

I guess we'll have to look forward to GDC and E3 now. The turnaround on "porting" and (I hope) general development fills me with expectation.

Foffy

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
just like with the PSP you'll get all of that on the PSP2. No reason why not.

The PSP never really got a Metroidvania, outside of a remake/port. And considering the new direction Konami is taking with Castlevania, it really is a question on if we'll ever see the series deliver the SotN experiences on these platforms.

btkadams

Atomski said:
Is the 2011 release date global or just Japan?
well, the psp came out later in other regions outside japan, but the ps3 was released in both NA and japan.

they didn't specify though.

Brinbe

Not delighted with that form-factor... wanted something closer to the Go, but I suppose it'll suffice. Anyway, really interested to see what devs come up with @ E3 and beyond.

my life is complete.

this is all i've ever wanted as a handheld gamer. 2 analogue sticks, PSP compatibility and up to date graphics.

just need trophies now.....

$399.99, November release. Count on it (BTW I correctly guessed the 3DS price...)

Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card.

Ooh, missed that little tidbit. So they're not gonna be Flash ROM cards like the DS and 3DS use, they're gonna be re-writeable with space for DLC. Interesting move (and possibly a death knell if they ever get hacked. Just imagine, every PSP2 game is an illegal flash card...)

SlickVic

So will Sony be offering some sort of monthly data plan to access 3G? Guessing it won't be free to access from any PSP2. Don't know anything about 3G so just curious.

Elios83

The hardware is truly amazing and looks so classy. I mean.....

http://i.imgur.com/d3KZW.jpg

Everyone is on board making games on it and I guess E3 will bring a lot of new annoucements. Right now I was suprised to hear how easy it's to port stuff between PS3 and this. Kojima seriously hinted that at E3 he will finally announce its new game and it will be PS3/PSP2 cross platform.
My only doubt it's the price. This thing as someone else said seems like a Louis Vuitton product XD LOL

Booda

gofreak said:
If that's the message you took away, you weren't paying attention. The point of how comprehensive the hardware is, is to provide unique ways to play on their handheld, and open it to the world of 'lighter' gaming that PSP never really enjoyed (and they're making some very bold moves there with Suite). IN ADDITION to the traditional PSP strengths with big games.

The point of "how comprehensive the hardware is" is to provide nice long spec sheets for e-peen waggling. They're trying to compete with phones and the iPod Touch and the 3DS, but they just went for absurd brute-force over-engineering instead of thinking of ways to truly differentiate the system.

Simplicity and an elegant implementation of a few key features go a long way, but that's a lesson Sony has yet to learn.

Sectus said:
Is it confirmed there is no video-out, or haven't they specified which ports the PSP2 has?
That port on the bottom will function as a number of things, like charging, USB connection, and most likely video out.

Replicant

seady said:
The NGP feels much less sophisticated than the PSP. Maybe it's the lack of buttons and signs/logos.

Sony-PSP-3000.jpg
photo3.jpg

It's because the design of the new device is too oval/round-ish. The PSP has some oval shape but it's still quite rectangular with just the oval around the edges. Also, the new speakers look fugly. Ditto with the select and start button.

54-46!

spindoc said:
The PSPGo also has a propriety output that lets you plug it to TVs. I'm sure this will offer the same functionality. Base of the unit looks pretty similar.
PSPgo had awesome black borders, I hope this one has got proper full screen output if they decide to put it in.

Flambe

Plus fucking one.

Even though it's going to be so expensive in Canada and I'm terrified at the shitty 3g 'plan' we will end up with -_-

But.... OLED.. mmm

It does look wonderful, and it's good to see Sony have learnt their lesson after the respective failure of their last high-end, ultraexpensive console by creating a high-end, ultraexpensive console.

brain_stew said:
Really, talk about a step backwards. Take it there's no DS3 support either?

It looks like Sony are re-using the same proprietary USB connector as the one on the Go. It was complete shit, but I would be very surprised if it can't function as a USB > HDMI adapter.

Amon37

I'm sure Sony will have and hdmi cable but with their propietary input on the other just like the component cable they have now for any psp-2000 and beyond

Cloudius12 said:
Spec sheet is avail online.

didnt know that site is blocked here.
Edit:
11x0127bub435specs.jpg
Silicon wise that's an extremely conservative (and cheap) solution by Sony's standards. The silicon budget is much lower than the PSP's was at launch yet the PSP was a $200 device. Again its further confirmation that there'll be a sub $300 SKU. PSP BC is my biggest worry, a software solution looks very unlikely and including that hardware isn't cheap.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I didnt expect them to keep the rear trackpad with the touchscreen. Just gotta decide on what color to buy now. I'm thinking white....

psp2-ngp-rm-eng-hands-1.jpg

oh my :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom