• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnizzle06

Banned
It's looks great, but a year from now? I don't know how I'll feel about it at that point.

And as I stated in the other thread:

It has been decided: psp2 will be the new controller for ps3/4...imagine it...touch screens, dual analogs, six axis...it will be amazing.

Alastor

Shame that PSP price cut wasn't announced :\ But it must happen this year, and it must be big.

I want a handheld goddamnit

Replicant

The device shape is too round-ish. Make it more square-ish (with just a little bit of bevel around the edge like iPhone 4) on the final design and I'll bite!

Booda

So Sony threw a bunch of cool tech into a blender and hit frappe, in the hope that something will stick to the wall. It's huge for a portable system, seems likely to be relatively expensive for a portable system, and they apparently continue to believe that what people want from portable gaming is console games on a smaller screen with Byzantine control schemes.

This thing has Kutaragi-stink all over it. Really disappointing. I was hoping they would have learned something since the PSP's debut.

ASIS

Ysiadmihi said:
Same. I really hope console-like games on portables isn't the future of handhelds.
What exactly do you want from handhelds? I mean what type of games would you like to see?

seady

The most exciting thing about this announcement is Near. It's the most forward-thinking feature for a handheld coming out of this conference. Now I wonder if it requires 3G plan to make it work.

seady said:
The most exciting thing about this announcement is Near. It's the most forward-thinking feature for a handheld coming out of this conference.
Kojima's next game sounds exciting as well. Being able to play on the PS3 and then take it on your PSP and continue the experience? That's forward thinking right thurr.

Toki767

Besides price and battery life, my biggest question is how much for 3G? I don't think I'd want to pay $30 a month to always be connected.

$300 dollars is my optimistic hopes, day 1 or not depends totally on LBP, uncharted and wipeout release dates.

really liking the looks now, hopefully the ui will grow on me too, though everything will prob change (even if only slightly) by the time e3 comes around.

punkypine

if this has android, which means a competent browser and ability to use all those other apps, i'm in regardless of price. 5 in screen and that res+apps to read+real web browsing+flash support=practically a tablet

if its a proprietary OS, then it better be under 300

Pooya

Zombie James said:
I doubt games will be that large, at least at first. I say 2-4GB.

Pleasantly surprised they went for ARM, good call.
it should be as big as dvd at least, 4-8GB more likely.

zoukka

Nintendo-4Life said:
What exactly do you want from handhelds? I mean what type of games would you like to see?

Puzzle games.
Metroidvania.
Advance Wars type of strategy.
Platformers.
Turn based RPG's.

k thx.

KaYotiX

Banned
Aruarian Reflection said:
I'm not afraid to pay big boy money for big boy hardware. I will be in line day 1.

I think its more about the software lineup than price for some, my PSP still doesnt get much play just becasue the lack of software. When it does come out its in 6-7 month intervals between each good title. Waiting on Tactics Ogre atm for my PSP

The 2 cameras, 5" screen, rear touch pad, and 3G seem like overkill. And no HDMI output is lame. Pretty damn impressive otherwise. Surprisingly thin as well. Can't wait to see whether they really disappoint or pull some kind of magic with the battery life.

Nintendo-4Life said:

Seriously.

NGP, hell even 3DS as well offer:

- smaller "handheld type" games through downloadable services
- touch control, motion control, cameras ie. perfect input methods for handhelds
- sleep functions to pause your game at any time

These new handhelds have every base covered.

btkadams

im confused. have they mentioned any ports in the specs? i see a port on the bottom of it in the official sony picture of the device but i dont see it anywhere in the specs.

Jaagen

brain_stew said:
I don't think they could come up with a worse design if they tried. Hideous, uncomfortable and not in any way fitting of the term 'portable'.

I'll stick with my Go for now, never has a machine been in such desperate need of a revision. PSP BC is interesting but could be a key contributer to the size and cost of the machine.

I agree. To me, the Xperia Play looks much more appealing in terms of aesthetics, and as it stands now, I'm much more willing to pay for the Xperia, just because it seems more, well, portable.

Boney

Banned
Hardware definately looks nice, but with the generation dragging longer, I'm seeing many PS3/NGP games, so not really interested in it yet.

And it looks mighty expensive.

punkypine said:
if this has android, which means a competent browser and ability to use all those other apps, i'm in regardless of price. 5 in screen and that res+apps to read+real web browsing+flash support=practically a tablet

if its a proprietary OS, then it better be under 300
Just because it runs Android, it doesn't mean you'll get all that stuff (without hacking it).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Booda said:
So Sony threw a bunch of cool tech into a blender and hit frappe, in the hope that something will stick to the wall. It's huge for a portable system, seems likely to be relatively expensive for a portable system, and they apparently continue to believe that what people want from portable gaming is console games on a smaller screen with Byzantine control schemes.

This thing has Kutaragi-stink all over it. Really disappointing. I was hoping they would have learned something since the PSP's debut.

If that's the message you took away, you weren't paying attention. The point of how comprehensive the hardware is, is to provide unique ways to play on their handheld, and open it to the world of 'lighter' gaming that PSP never really enjoyed (and they're making some very bold moves there with Suite). IN ADDITION to the traditional PSP strengths with big games.

For those panicking over price, there'll be an SKU, under $300 guaranteed, they'll probably won't even have to take a loss to reach that price point either.

boingball

I will buy one Day 1. Even though Sony seems to repeat the mistakes of the PSP. It seems that it is quite easy to port PS3 games to the NGP, so most games will be just that, ports from PS3. Especially by 3rd parties, they will probably wait with original software until they see how SW sells (and if it sells like on the PSP, only the japanese companies will develop games...). But I could see it having success in North America if Madden PS3 / NGP and Call of Duty MW3 PS3 / NGP have cross-play functionality. And if they have MHP on it, it will be a hit in Japan.

Spec sheet is avail online.

didnt know that site is blocked here.
Edit:
11x0127bub435specs.jpg

davepoobond said:
but im guessing itll be 399. also some idiot who was saying sony follows them cause of touch screen is ridiculous and needs to remember that cell phones or ipods are touch screened too, and just because sony is making a "gaming handheld" that has a touch screen doesnt set it so far apart from other devices. how do you know they're not copying cell phones or ipods?

I believe I'm the idiot you seek. And I didn't mean to imply that sony is just picking up nintendo's left-overs or something. Sony is "copying" nintendo's touchscreen with it's inclusion in the PSP2 just as much as nintendo is "copying" powerful GPU's or multimedia features by having a more powerful processor in the 3DS. If I implied some sort of idea thievery then I'm sorry. I just think it's interesting how some features exclusive to the DS and PSP last gen have now crossed over, regardless of if those features are a direct result of their competitor's features last gen.

If anything, I think it's an interesting piece of evidence toward technology's march down the path of mobile all-in-one devices.

RSLAEV

My biggest hope for this system is that Japan's love of handheld gaming will lead to a huge diverse library of japanese games. That's enough for me to make handhelds my primary gaming platform.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
I've just reread the spec sheet, the 83.5mm depth does not include the analogue stick!

18.6mm is what you're thinking of. (Without the analog sticks) That puts its on par with the PSP2000.

83.5mm refers to how tall it is.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
dynamitejim said:
The 2 cameras, 5" screen, rear touch pad, and 3G seem like overkill. And no HDMI output is lame. Pretty damn impressive otherwise. Surprisingly thin as well. Can't wait to see whether they really disappoint or pull some kind of magic with the battery life.

I still don't get the no hdmi complaint. Ok, yea I wish it had it, but this is a portable. How many psp owners on a regular basis play their psp's using the component cables?

zoukka said:
Puzzle games.
Metroidvania.
Advance Wars type of strategy.
Platformers.
Turn based RPG's.

k thx.

just like on the consoles you'll find this on the psn/download titles hopefully there will be lots of them. platformers ...i don't really see how that genre is real lacking on consoles atleast not this gen if you know where to go .

RdN

Man, I wan- NOP, I NEED one of these, ASAP!

Can't wait to play MLB: The Show '12 on it (yes, MLB is the only game I play on my PSP, don't judge me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom