• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR launching in fall (Gamestop CEO seemingly lets slip)

Taco_Man

Banned
I'm kinda ok with it too, but please at least put us out of our misery and tell us soon (not Soony) when we can expect it to hit stores, even more so if it got delayed to fall, the wait is killing me.

I agree, they should give some sort of announcement about it coming in the Fall. Let the hype train build up and say they'll give more details such as price, official date, and games at E3. That will give them such a big advantage going into E3 that if the price is set right, the games are good, and the date doesn't conflict with anything else they'll steal all the E3 press easily.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I hope they take this time to add features, like an IPD adjustment.

Unikely.

That would require a serious redesign of the headset.

Besides, I've never heard of anyone complaining about the lack of IPD adjustment in the PSVR. They must have same crazy good lenses that fit a wide range of IPDs.

Man

They have digital IPD adjustment I would suspect, the offset of the split-screen images (and not physical ala Oculus Rift due to 2x screens).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
They have digital IPD adjustment I would suspect, the offset of the split-screen images (and not physical ala Oculus Rift due to 2x screens).

Yeah, of course. Even with fixed lenses, you still want your real IPD to match the "virtual one" :)

Reallink

Unikely.

That would require a serious redesign of the headset.

Besides, I've never heard of anyone complaining about the lack of IPD adjustment in the PSVR. They must have same crazy good lenses that fit a wide range of IPDs.

No one complained about trade show Oculus HW either, but clearly they thought it was worth the cost to add to the consumer release. Morpheus first gen units actually had it (trade show units, not lab protos), they just removed it, probably to cut cost and increase simplicity/reliability.

kennyamr

i see a lot of comments mentioning a $299 price tag, that is too low. A more realistic price would be $399. making it the sweet spot between good tech and good experience for the price. Really, don't expect less because you may end up disappointed for such a great new technology that is just coming out for the first time in decades this year.
No one complains that every iPhone costs more $600 every year, if u get a contract with a carrier, you will pay $300 for every year and get an iPhone every two years. I don't see ppl protesting that but of course for some reason $399 is too much to pay for Virtual Reality, and for a product that will last and be supported for many years to come.

i see a lot of comments mentioning a $299 price tag, that is too low. A more realistic price would be $399. making it the sweet spot between good tech and good experience for the price. Really, don't expect less because you may end up disappointed for such a great new technology that is just coming out for the first time in decades this year.
the same price as when the console debuted and HIGHER than the present price of the console itself?

SeanTSC

they are not selling PS4s here, this is different, not a console but new technology, it has nothing to do with the price of the PS4.

But it has everything to do with the PS4 and its price - it's a piece of hardware specifically for the PS4 that is meant to sell more PS4s.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Morpheus first gen units actually had it (trade show units, not lab protos), they just removed it, probably to cut cost and increase simplicity/reliability.

Source of that info? I'm pretty sure Morpheus never had physical IPD.

kennyamr

But it has everything to do with the PS4 and its price - it's a piece of hardware specifically for the PS4 that is meant to sell more PS4s.
yes, they are trying to at least match the price of the main console in order to avoid rejection within the gaming industry but they are dealing with new technology here. That's why I believe that they will match the original $399 price, just like the PS4 was when it launched. But I dont believe that it should be any less than that just because they had to cut the price of the console a few months back. I don't think there is any correlation between the new lower prices of the console and a new virtual reality machine they are about to launch.

They should

A: Delay No Man's Sky and make it a launch PSVR title
or
B: They should offer an upgrade to the PSVR version for like 10 bucks.

A. It's not going to get delayed, but I bet if VR is planned it's already going to be built in and waiting for the hardware to drop

B. 70 bucks for NMS in VR is a lot

Man

NMS is going to make many sick if they make it VR without some alternative game-design in that mode. There's a lot of on-foot hikes.

RIGS is where it's at.

NMS is going to make many sick if they make it VR without some alternative game-design in that mode. There's a lot of on-foot hikes.

RIGS is where it's at.

I always imagine the VR mode will just lock you to the plane, or have you dump out into another vehicle.

Still pretty slim pickings when it comes to titles for a probably quite expensive device. Launch period will probably be fine but they need to prove at E3 that they will not drop the ball in 2017. Still not a believer in this, biggest issue is to get people to experience it first hand.

Also anyone who thought it was releasing before fall is crazy. Wouldn't be surprised if it slipped into holidays.

PSOreo

Are there any other potential events that could happen before E3 to begin the hype train for PS VR? I know we had one (or two?) unveilings before the PS4 E3 show. I wonder whether they would bother to do the same again for the PSVR. They need to make it desirable and affordable. I think they would struggle to justify it amongst average consumers at the same price of the PS4 itself. Realistically I can't see how they could make it less than 299.

Are there any other potential events that could happen before E3 to begin the hype train for PS VR? I know we had one (or two?) unveilings before the PS4 E3 show. I wonder whether they would bother to do the same again for the PSVR. They need to make it desirable and affordable. I think they would struggle to justify it amongst average consumers at the same price of the PS4 itself. Realistically I can't see how they could make it less than 299.
Considering that Sony is treating PSVR like a new platform (that happens to require the PS4) I would bet that there will be a special, seperate event just for the price/date/launch lineup reveal.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

RIGS is where it's at.
Implementation wise? No freaking doubt since RIGS was designed for VR from the ground up. I really wanna try it soon for myself. On NMS, I really hope they do actually invest a good deal of effort and time on the VR implementation since this is mostly an exploration game. And with correct VR implementation, it will take that exploration experience to a much more intimate level. It could be so dope.

I always assumed it would end up being Fall. It's a great candidate for being the hot Christmas item. Gives Sony more time to choose when to drop the PS4 to $300 too. I don't think PSVR should come to market before realizing another $50 drop for PS4.

Rush it out the door with limited / poor software its PSvita all over again. I fully expect September/ October release. Gives developers time to get most launch games running perfectly. Dodgy frame rates would be a killer for immersion and with PS4 being a fixed platform developers would get the blame. Look at Xbox one a bad first footing can put you on the back foot for a loooong time!!!

Here's hoping it delivers I'm definitely considering buying it but need that all important software to take the full plunge!

Edit: seeing some people say £199 price ....£299 at the bare minimum!

Rush it out the door with limited / poor software its PSvita all over again.
That is not at all what happened with the Vita. Vita's launch line-up:
Army Corps of Hell
Asphalt: Injection
Augmented Reality – Cliff Diving
Augmented Reality – Fireworks
Augmented Reality – Table Soccer
Ben 10: Galactic Racing
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
Dynasty Warriors Next
Escape Plan
F1 2011
FIFA Soccer
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings
Little Deviants
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Plants vs. Zombies
Rayman Origins
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Super Stardust Delta
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Touch My Katamari
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
Wipeout 2048
And shortly after launch had Disgaea, Gravity Rush and MLB.

The initial release of the Vita wasn't the issue.

Priced properly, this thing will be impossible to find come the holiday season. I better start practicing my pre-order game now to be ready for fall.

Shoeless

A little disappointing if true, though it seems very likely. I'm just being selfish here as I really wanted to get my hands on a retail unit, but a fall release does make more sense, and more prep time is always a good thing, provided the time is wisely used.

Head.spawn

They're probably referring to the Project Natal stage "demos" MS pushed several years ago. Some of the most cringe-worthy, and not to mention boring, E3 segments in history.

Or they're referring to the terrible PSVR stage demo not that long ago aka "two guys attempt to murder vr".

lMzTryO.gif

kennyamr

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference:

"PSVR, launching tonight"
"Crash Bandicoot and Megaman Legends reboots announced"

It won't happen of course (99.9% sure it won't) :p just a nice thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rush it out the door with limited / poor software its PSvita all over again. I fully expect September/ October release. Gives developers time to get most launch games running perfectly. Dodgy frame rates would be a killer for immersion and with PS4 being a fixed platform developers would get the blame. Look at Xbox one a bad first footing can put you on the back foot for a loooong time!!!

Here's hoping it delivers I'm definitely considering buying it but need that all important software to take the full plunge!

Edit: seeing some people say £199 price ....£299 at the bare minimum!

Why would it need to be October to get the games ready? They've been showing things for ages, and nobody knows how finished the games are so that is pure conjecture

KingJ2002

This was a no brainer in my eyes. A Fall release allows for early adoption to VR while also releasing new hardware to steal some mindshare from Nintendo and their NX announcements.

If Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) believes that they have the software to launch it and sell... at a 299 point. They may be able to convince the public to forget about owning a second console and instead enjoy a full "Playstation" experience.

Personally, no way... that stage demo basically told me to wait until they figure it out.

RIGS is where it's at.

Don't forget you can run, which they haven't shown, and you have the jet pack.

No Man's Sky and PSVR will do me for years.

Top Bottom