• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR launching in fall (Gamestop CEO seemingly lets slip)

WadeitOut

What VR game are you guys most looking forward to? Serious question because I am confused as to what is coming software wise.

Man

What VR game are you guys most looking forward to? Serious question because I am confused as to what is coming software wise.
RIGS for sure. Feels like Europe's next 'WipEout', something 90's SCEE would come up with (only, you know, Virtual Reality and eSports on top of that) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDO7Ockyurk
Guerrilla Cambridge is an awesome studio.

Also, Gran Turismo Sport (the actual killer app for the general crowd). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h-Kycm8Jxo

399€ - 499€, DOAX3 support and Summer Lesson on launch =

fbVs6bu.gif

Best post.

Because it's true.

Jerm411

Robinson: The Journey looked intriguing.

I think ARK: Survival Evolved also has potential if it can be pulled off.

How about they make it $199 :)

That'd be lovely but I think it'd be a low quality build at that point and worst quality build means worse quality experience and worse quality experience could mean nausea and discomfort which would mean VR definitely being a fad.

We need it to be hobby grade while still being affordable enough to get in peoples homes. It's a rough balance.

vpance

Gamestop guy could just be focused on regular season, like Greenberg, because that's when the big money is made.

border

That Sony quote would be a lot more reassuring if they had actually re-stated their intention to launch in the first half of 2016. Instead it just reads like they are unable to commit to any date whatsoever.....indicating that a delay is still possible.

FireCloud

Robinson: The Journey looked intriguing.

I think ARK: Survival Evolved also has potential if it can be pulled off.

I agree about Robinson looking interesting. However, I wonder if it will be an on-rails experience or whether it will allow you to explore the environment and hide from the predators.

Battlezone looks sooooooo good. I just want to immerse myself in a poly world like that.

And no joke, the way the game title comes together is easily one of the most badass things I've seen in recent times.

Seiru

Banned
That's a bummer. Long, boring summer of monotonous weather and broken dreams on the way.

Hey man, make friends with somebody who is getting a Rift/Vive. I'm sure there will also be plenty of VR meetups around over the summer, depending on where you live. I know I'm going to want to show my Rift off to as many people as possible.

Not saying it's the same thing as having PSVR right this instant, but it might hold you over a bit!

I'm a bit baffled by this: this was a leak from the CEO of a major retailer?!

Either he's speculating, in which case it's dumb, or he's just publicly broken an NDA for a major supplier, in which case it's really dumb.

What were his PR guys doing while he spilled the beans? Desperately signing "NDA" at him?

doby

I'm a bit baffled by this: this was a leak from the CEO of a major retailer?!

Either he's speculating, in which case it's dumb, or he's just publicly broken an NDA for a major supplier, in which case it's really dumb.

What were his PR guys doing while he spilled the beans? Desperately signing "NDA" at him?

It's just a slip up. It's probably quite hard to keep track of what's publically known information and what isn't when you're in a position where you get fed copious amounts of information.

Does a CEO usually do press interviews anyway?

So much for 2016 being the year of VR then. Oculus is overpriced, Vive will be niche at best and Sony isn't launching 'til later in the year. It's almost like every business decision concerning VR has been a floundering mess.

DavidDesu

RIGS was great, but I think there needs to be a class of VR games that can support high speed movement. That Eagle game seems to be half way there but...

Imagine this in VR (if you don't get motion sickness easily): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyTc6MZI6I

YEAH.

Oh wow that would be an incredible idea for a game, even just pretending you're a tiny drone pilot surrounded by the real world at a larger scale. That would be intense. I don't see why games like this wouldn't work in VR. Give people a little bit of time to get used to VR and stuff like this will be fine.

EDIT: speaking of which, Toy Commander needs a VR remake, if someone isn't already on it.

they are not selling PS4s here, this is different, not a console but new technology, it has nothing to do with the price of the PS4.
I dunno man, what do you think the general consumer perception will be if they see the price of the Ps4 peripheral to be higher than the price of the host hardware?

Oppo

it has to be a concern about the state of VR software out of the gate, for this delay to occur. I'm pretty sure they fully intended to launch the thing right around now-ish.

Jabba

Banned
I suspect PSVR will release at whatever price they would have sold it for had it released earlier this year. If there is any savings to be had by releasing it later in the Fall, I expect it would come from a price drop of the PS4 itself making the total price cheaper for those who don't already own a PS4; say a $300 PS4.

This delay is probably to give extra time to get the PSVR release titles and PS4 virtual system software ready. It also allows Sony to judge how well OR and Vive are received and make tweaks to their offering based on that.

Edit:

I agree. I've really been looking forward to it releasing soon. With all the VR hype going around (OR, Vive, PSVR), I went out and picked up a Samsung Gear VR to try VR out. Looks like that will have to tide me over until this Fall.

Hope this isn't true.

If you don't mind, how impressed are you with Gear VR? A pm would be ok as to not derail.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not surprising, but this could potentially be bad news for the NX Platform. Or maybe not, but I hope that they won't come out too close to one another.

Like some of us say...Nintendo is caught between a rock and a hard place. Or a mountain and a hard place.

I wouldnt put it past Sony to try to take attention away from Nintendo by doing that.

Sony, saying that Gamestop is just speculating is nearly confirmation that it's launching in the fall
It's a lose-lose situation

doby

There's an article on CNET trying to debunk the rumor but fails miserably.

The key word from the CEO's quote is 'launch'. You don't say launch if you mean 'push' as in, giving it a big push in the fall.

Sony would be better off saying nothing rather than lying, and sticking to their original statement to Videogamer. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear something official.

The same as when they need a TV to play a PS4. PSVR will be its own platform.
and how often do you find a TV at an average to large size for under the price of a Ps4?

Despite them saying psvr being its own platform, it isn't. It's only going to be priced as it's own platform but that could be anywhere from $250-$600. You can't play psvr unless you have a Ps4 first

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Will there be enough high quality games available for the platform if they launch during the summer? If not, a winter/fall launch date is likely unfortunately.

and how often do you find a TV at an average to large size for under the price of a Ps4?

Despite them saying psvr being its own platform, it isn't. It's only going to be priced as it's own platform but that could be anywhere from $250-$600. You can't play psvr unless you have a Ps4 first
But it is a platform in itself similar to how Gear VR is a separate platform from Samsung phones. Gear VR has its own store front, its own exclusive apps and games, and its own UI. PSVR will have all of that as well. Well maybe not the storefront, that will likely be part of the Playstation Store, but you get the idea.

Will there be enough high quality games available for the platform if they launch during the summer? If not, a winter/fall launch date is likely unfortunately.

It's hard to say really. We know there are a stack of games in development for PSVR, but nobody is giving away release dates as that would blow Sony's cover. (Assuming even they know what's happening).

A number of devs have stated they'll be ready for launch though.

But it is a platform in itself similar to how Gear VR is a separate platform from Samsung phones. Gear VR has its own store front, its own exclusive apps and games, and its own UI. PSVR will have all of that as well. Well maybe not the storefront, that will likely be part of the Playstation Store, but you get the idea.
I do get the idea, but I would fully agree only if psvr were operable without Ps4. it isn't.

ElCidTmax

I was hoping for a summer release, mainly because I want this now. The Fall makes sense though, and it makes me think this will have better software support at launch. Maybe Gran Turismo?

Top Bottom