• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

Steel

Banned
I can't imagine that Sony is thrilled with Konami's behavior at this point.

There's a difference between being contractually permitted to pull your game from PSN and the fact that you're royally pissing off the customers you expect to pay $60 for Phantom Pain in a few months.

Well since this is basically a sign of Konami saying F U to console development, It's a safe assumption that sony's not happy with this at all

Estellise

The fact that there's such an uproar about this game proves how much everyone loved it. Such a waste of what could've been an amazing game...Konami is retarded.

BibiMaghoo

Can still download the game on my European account. Profit?

UK you can, don't know about anywhere else. So long as it was in your library before it was removed from the store.

The fact that there's such an uproar about this game proves how much everyone loved it. Such a waste of what could've been an amazing game...Konami is retarded.

I think the precedent is of greater note and concern. A company pulling a demo like this and blocking it's download is unheard of. Customers 'own' the games in their library, and the ease at which that can be taken is disturbing for some.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
UK you can, don't know about anywhere else. So long as it was in your library before it was removed from the store.

I think the precedent is of greater note and concern. A company pulling a demo like this and blocking it's download is unheard of. Customers 'own' the games in their library, and the ease at which that can be taken is disturbing for some.

My Swedish, Irish and UK accounts can all initiate downloads for the game still. Seems to be Europe wide?

It's official:

CEbsskcW8AMocKV.jpg

I just got this message on PSN.

antibolo

Banned
So how the hell did Konami manage to get Sony to remove the game from their content servers?!

For fuck's sake, even games that are delisted due to legal issues still remain downloadable if you have already bought them. You'd think that be more likely to be pulled, not a freaking demo that Konami still 100% owns.

So how the hell did Konami manage to get Sony to remove the game from their content servers?!

For fuck's sake, even games that are delisted due to legal issues still remain downloadable if you have already bought them. You'd think that be more likely to be pulled, not a freaking demo that Konami still 100% owns.

In this case they likely see less possibility for legal recourse since it was a cost-free download.

BibiMaghoo

For fuck's sake, even games that are delisted due to legal issues still remain downloadable if you have already bought them.

Not 100% true. Games have been pulled from download lists before due to piracy exploits. I don't even think refunds were given in these cases, though they may have been.

Tainted

I'm getting more and more afraid that a Konami employee will break into my house while I'm sleeping to delete P.T. from my console...

Step 1: Cancel Silent Hills
Step 2: Delist P.T.
Step 3: Remove P.T. from PS Servers
Step 4: Force Ebay to remove PS4s with PT installed
Step 5: Force google to remove P.T. videos, playthroughs etc
Step 6: Force other streaming sites such as Twitch to do likewise
Step 7: De-authorise P.T. on PSN which disables everyone's copy of P.T.

This game will be a forgotten entity before long

RCSI

Not if we write poetry and song of the game, leaving a lasting impression in our memories.

So I'm just reading, that it is possible to restore a PS4-backup not only to the same system with a new HDD but also to a different system.

Wouldn't this make the following be possible:

Using PS4 'A' from 'user1' with P.T. installed and PS4 'B' from 'user2' who wants P.T.

-user1 creates a backup of system A

-user2 restores this backup on B (loses his data, needs to save his savegames, e.g. to the cloud)

-user2 adds his PSN-Account to B to restores 'his' data from the cloud (savegames, PS+ Games etc.)

-remove account of user1 from system B.

As far as I know, P.T. is licensed to every account on the system it's installed on, so shouldn't it stay on System B even if user1 is removed from the system?
If not, what if user2 has the P.T. license but didn't download or deleted P.T. originally. Couldn't this be a workaround to the not longer possible 'redownload'?

Theonik

KONAMI is the copyright holder of P.T. they (unfortunately) have every legal right to do whatever they damn please.

antibolo

Banned
KONAMI is the copyright holder of P.T. they (unfortunately) have every legal right to do whatever they damn please.

But that's my point, even delisted games that the publisher no longer has legal rights to (expired license, etc.) are still redownloadable.

PT will end up being some sort of urban legend that we will tell future gamers who ultimately won't believe us.

And then, many years down the road, someone will get a SharePlay invite from some random guy on their friendlist. He won't recognize what game it is when he takes control... but minds will be fucked that day.

Then their phone rings...

Ringu 3

Blizzard

Banned
But that's my point, even delisted games that the publisher no longer has legal rights to (expired license, etc.) are still redownloadable.
That's the weird thing to me. Delisting is a relatively common situation on Steam (http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022734) due to rights or whatever, but games like FUEL and Blur can still be downloaded forever (in theory).

Since I'm admittedly ignorant on PS3/PS4 history, have there been other delisted games that were still downloadable, or did the downloads also get nuked?

antibolo

Banned
That's the weird thing to me. Delisting is a relatively common situation on Steam (http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022734) due to rights or whatever, but games like FUEL and Blur can still be downloaded forever (in theory).

Since I'm admittedly ignorant on PS3/PS4 history, have there been other delisted games that were still downloadable, or did the downloads also get nuked?

No delisted game has ever got pulled from redownloading. Same thing as Steam.

Xbox as well. Too Human was delisted due to the company being sued to the fucking ground by Epic, and yet people who bought the game on XBL can still redownload it.

ddikxela

So I'm just reading, that it is possible to restore a PS4-backup not only to the same system with a new HDD but also to a different system.

Wouldn't this make the following be possible:

Using PS4 'A' from 'user1' with P.T. installed and PS4 'B' from 'user2' who wants P.T.

-user1 creates a backup of system A

-user2 restores this backup on B (loses his data, needs to save his savegames, e.g. to the cloud)

-user2 adds his PSN-Account to B to restores 'his' data from the cloud (savegames, PS+ Games etc.)

-remove account of user1 from system B.

As far as I know, P.T. is licensed to every account on the system it's installed on, so shouldn't it stay on System B even if user1 is removed from the system?
If not, what if user2 has the P.T. license but didn't download or deleted P.T. originally. Couldn't this be a workaround to the not longer possible 'redownload'?

I must have missed it. Where is the post that shows someone has backed up ps4 data and restored it to a new system?

It would be nice if PS4 had a data transfer option like the PS3. It would save demos like P.T.

PS. Is it only the US store seed/file that has been deleted at this stage? I tried the EUR store url link to the file last night on my PC and it was still active.

androvsky

Xbox as well. Too Human was delisted due to the company being sued to the fucking ground by Epic, and yet people who bought the game on XBL can still redownload it.
Yes, they have. The Japanese import games on the US PSN had two games completely removed from the store and download lists a couple years ago. It was one of the Magical Drop games and Kyuuin, I had purchased both of them and noticed a few months later that they weren't in my download list. Had no problem getting a refund.

UberTag

When do they send out the Men in Black to wipe the experience of ever playing P.T. from our minds? Is that Step 8?

BFIB

This whole situation is baffling. Just don't see the reason to take a demo, one of the best ever, away from everyone.

Bsigg12

This whole situation is baffling. Just don't see the reason to take a demo, one of the best ever, away from everyone.

It almost has to do with the video at the end with Norman Reedus and potentially something regarding his likeness. There is nothing else I can imagine that would make a company do this.

There is a petition for Kojima and Del Toro to continue working on Silent Hills, with over 100k signs already.

Considering the relationship between Kojima and Konami has obviously ended rather poorly I'm not exactly sure what they're looking to accomplish, but hey best of luck to them I guess.

This isn't ok. You can't sell people a digital future and do shit like this.

There is also a massive difference between a paid product and a free product, also as some other people have said it's likely due to the lapse in a contract to use the likeness of Norman Reedus.

LakeEarth

We won't lose PT forever. One day there will be PS4 emulators. Still one of the dumber things that has happened in gaming lately.

Justified

Nintendo did it with Yoshi's Cookie, Sony announced plans to do it with PSM games

Exentryk

Considering the relationship between Kojima and Konami has obviously ended rather poorly I'm not exactly sure what they're looking to accomplish, but hey best of luck to them I guess.

Yeah, dunno if it'll get anywhere. But it may make other developers take notice of the demand that's out there for good horror games? Or Kojima after joining a new studio or whatever can decide to make a horror game with Del Toro. It doesn't have to be named Silent Hills, but it can still have the same ideas.

Top Bottom