• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

i wouldn't sell it as you will have to leave your own PSN account in there as well, how many games do you have on your account?

Best option would have been to make a new dummy account with P.T. only downloaded on it, save that to the PS4 and try to sell it :D

. Since when does account DRM apply to demos? He's free to deactivate his account to disable all his bought items but anything that required $0 on checkout shouldn't require any kind of sign in at all.

Dryk

I guess I should not be surprised people actually are selling consoles with the game on it. If anyone actually buys them for the PT demo, then it is more sad than hilarious.
What if the people buying them are part of an archival team?

Is this scenario possible?

10 Backup your PS4
20 Sell your PS4
30 Bought a new one
40 Restore
50 Goto 20

Not to get rich, but to spread the PT love. I assume that this is not possible because DRM but always expect the unexpected

cewj4dvumaagcs9jdu8j.jpg

Saves having to use Sony's backup method, at least.

chrono01

So it's after 2AM here and I couldn't sleep. Considering I've never actually "played" P.T before [although I've seen others play it, both in-person and via streams] I thought I'd give it a try. So I turned off all of the lights, cranked up the 5.1 surround sound, and loaded the game up.

I just got to the part where I can continually hearing breathing from "something" behind me. I don't think I can do it. I've seen what's to come, so you'd think that would make things less scary.

It doesn't.

Playing it for yourself is another experience entirely. Knowing that so many will miss out on this horror masterpiece saddens me. :/

So yeah, needless to say, playing P.T definitely isn't helping my "can't sleep" situation.

filly

In the UK so the download is still up (for now). I've been on a stock hard drive which has been a paint for the last 2 months. Just picked up a 2TB replacement from Argos. Hoping I can get PT loaded up on it in time!

Kei-

So the people that are listing their P.T. PS4s on ebay are effectively selling their accounts off as well right?

Whoever buys the PS4 won't be able to use P.T. if the PS4 is still not activated as the P.T. owners's (ebay seller's) primary PS4, or if they are not actually on the owners account.

taoofjord

I guess I should not be surprised people actually are selling consoles with the game on it. If anyone actually buys them for the PT demo, then it is more sad than hilarious.

From Konami's standpoint it makes sense they removed it. It is a demo for a product that will not be made. Might be that they want to save money for license etc.

In the end this will probably blow over rather soon. Like most game related news.

It makes more sense to me to just remove any mention of Silent Hill and keep P.T. on the store considering it's much more than a demo of an unreleased game. It's an experience that stands on its own and it's one many people adore. Why take that away from the community you're trying to serve?

deadfolk

It makes more sense to me to just remove any mention of Silent Hill and keep P.T. on the store considering it's much more than a demo of an unreleased game. It's an experience that stands on its own and it's one many people adore. Why take that away from the community you're trying to serve?

The shareholders?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From Konami's standpoint it makes sense they removed it. It is a demo for a product that will not be made. Might be that they want to save money for license etc.
From anyone's standpoint, it makes no sense why they're removing access to this for the people who already downloaded it. And why is it sad exactly? It's not that much money for a console and an absolutely phenomenal game that you can't obtain otherwise.

Well since I got no replies to my question I'm testing it myself. Will report back. Hopefully I don't fuck it up.

What I'm doing though is the following:
1) Taking an account on a PS4 with PT already installed.
2) Backing up the hard drive
3) Removing that account from the PS4 and putting it onto a second PS4 and restoring the hard drive to it.

I'm hoping since PT is authorized for everyone that the hard drive restore will restore it to a new hard drive and then I can use that account on the second PS4 and maybe play it??

edit: if someone knows something I don't and wants to stop me from doing this before I screw myself over that'd be great.

you're kidding right? looking at that nes game that sold for 40,000$, which i owned at one point, and gave away, makes me think this stuff could be a good investment.

Index funds and bonds are a good investment. Buying bideojames to hopefully sell them for a profit 30 years later is dumb.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Well since I got no replies to my question I'm testing it myself. Will report back. Hopefully I don't fuck it up.

What I'm doing though is the following:
1) Taking an account on a PS4 with PT already installed.
2) Backing up the hard drive
3) Removing that account from the PS4 and putting it onto a second PS4 and restoring the hard drive to it.

I'm hoping since PT is authorized for everyone that the hard drive restore will restore it to a new hard drive and then I can use that account on the second PS4 and maybe play it??

edit: if someone knows something I don't and wants to stop me from doing this before I screw myself over that'd be great.

PT will only be authorized for accounts that "purchased" it off psn. It's not unlocked by default. So you'll always need to have your original account logged in on the secondary ps4 to play it.

PT will only be authorized for accounts that "purchased" it off psn. It's not unlocked by default. So you'll always need to have your original account logged in on the secondary ps4 to play it.

Right I have it "bought" on PSN by a few accounts. Of course I already screwed up before it went down by not buying it on the main account I use, but whatever.

Anyway I'm trying to remove one of the users with it purchased from one PS4 (there are multiple accounts on this PS4 that "purchased" the PT demo), then restore it to a second PS4. Basically duplicating the game so I have 2 PS4s that I can hopefully own it on and not just the one.

Well I deleted all my games except PT from one of my PS4's and did the backup...and then realized PT was already installed on the second PS4. So I still don't know if a backup + restore would work. All I know is I have 2 PS4s with P.T.! I'm going to retire now and live a life of adventure!

Or something.

In the UK so the download is still up (for now). I've been on a stock hard drive which has been a paint for the last 2 months. Just picked up a 2TB replacement from Argos. Hoping I can get PT loaded up on it in time!

Wait so could you essentially make a UK psn and download it then?

Wait so could you essentially make a UK psn and download it then?

I think I have a UK account and I went and searched the store but couldn't find PT. Can anyone confirm if it's gone or still there for the UK?

Where is it still available if anywhere? Wherever it's available though yes you should be able to make an account for that region and download it from the store.

I think I have a UK account and I went and searched the store but couldn't find PT. Can anyone confirm if it's gone or still there for the UK?

Where is it still available if anywhere? Wherever it's available though yes you should be able to make an account for that region and download it from the store.

If that's the case, people should be DLing it whereever its available to scum out and make big money.

It would be nice if someone could find out (no ps4 on my end but If the demo never expires I'd be willing to get a ps4 to dl it since I'm going to buy one anyway).

antibolo

Banned
. Since when does account DRM apply to demos? He's free to deactivate his account to disable all his bought items but anything that required $0 on checkout shouldn't require any kind of sign in at all.

Has anyone actually tested this??

This was true on the PS3 but I'm not convinced that it is on PS4 as well.

So the people that are listing their P.T. PS4s on ebay are effectively selling their accounts off as well right?

Whoever buys the PS4 won't be able to use P.T. if the PS4 is still not activated as the P.T. owners's (ebay seller's) primary PS4, or if they are not actually on the owners account.

This is essentially why I am not selling mine. I should have thought ahead and made a dummy account and added the game to it, but alas I didn't have the foresight. I could have sold my system, made a nice profit and bought a new one. No big deal.

Oh well, at least I have the game.

Also, are we able to backup to a flash drive if the backup size is small enough? Just thought I'd ask. I do have an external drive that I use on my PC. Can I use that as is? Or will I have to reformat to FAT32 or some crap?

Garlador

Just got a notification from Playstation saying that if deleted, you wont be able to download it again.

I got the notification too.

It would have been MUCH MORE HELPFUL to get that notification BEFORE many users deleted the game off their system thinking they could redownload it.

kmg90

I got the notification too.

It would have been MUCH MORE HELPFUL to get that notification BEFORE many users deleted the game off their system thinking they could redownload it.

At this point my guess is that Sony is covering their bases to prevent any potential of a lawsuit.

As when a user is deleting downloaded games off the PS4, it specifically says that it can be redownloaded from the library.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
At this point my guess is that Sony is covering their bases to prevent any potential of a lawsuit.

As when a user is deleting downloaded games off the PS4, it specifically says that it can be redownloaded from the library.

More likely that they're getting bombarded with complaints.

//ARCANUM

Is this scenario possible?

10 Backup your PS4
20 Sell your PS4
30 Bought a new one
40 Restore
50 Goto 20

Not to get rich, but to spread the PT love. I assume that this is not possible because DRM but always expect the unexpected

Nope, Konami made it so you can't re-download PT even if you had it in your download queue.

edit - at least for NA

Also, how are people selling PS4s with the game on there and not also selling their accounts? or are they selling their PSN accounts with the PS4?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Nope, Konami made it so you can't re-download PT even if you had it in your download queue.

edit - at least for NA

Also, how are people selling PS4s with the game on there and not also selling their accounts? or are they selling their PSN accounts with the PS4?

It's easy enough to make a new account. No need to sell off your own.

//ARCANUM

It's easy enough to make a new account. No need to sell off your own.

but once your account is removed from the PS4 when it is sold, doesn't that make the PT demo inactive?

edit - I'm assuming you would remove your account from a sold PS4 for you know, personal security.

The End

I can't imagine that Sony is thrilled with Konami's behavior at this point.

There's a difference between being contractually permitted to pull your game from PSN and the fact that you're royally pissing off the customers you expect to pay $60 for Phantom Pain in a few months.

//ARCANUM

I can't imagine that Sony is thrilled with Konami's behavior at this point.

There's a difference between being contractually permitted to pull your game from PSN and the fact that you're royally pissing off the customers you expect to pay $60 for Phantom Pain in a few months.

I'm sure Sony is happy that people were selling their PS4's on eBay. Cause they would turn around and buy another PS4 lol.

Top Bottom