• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

Seriously ...there's no excuse for this kind of bullshit to be happening. How long did it take Sony to even allow people to add an SSD to the PS5? Or VRR? The PS Portal situation is pathetic!

Imagine if MS bows out of consoles how badly Sony is going to behave ..

They are setting themselves up for a class action lawsuit selling defective product.

Is it hardware? Send a new dongle

Is it software? Update the damn software

Nearly 6 months and no fix and not a word from Sony. This is really shoddy stuff for a premium product to not reliably work

King Dazzar

I read somewhere else that using an extension helped another guy who was getting DCs so seems something is interfering coming from the PS5 itself?

Really odd, makes me want to try another set with an extension just to see now :)
I think at least part of it's USB port bandwidth related and what the PS Link dongle wants. It makes sense as the dongle is providing truly lossless connection, where as the likes of the Pulse 3D dongles are not. And using the rear ports was an issue even for the Pulse 3d, due to location around the back. Either way front USB C works brilliantly so far. I get extended range and perfect audio.

I highly recommend you use the front C port and ensure any extension/conversion cables are proper 10Gbps capable (many are only 5Gbps)

King Dazzar

They are setting themselves up for a class action lawsuit selling defective product.

Is it hardware? Send a new dongle

Is it software? Update the damn software

Nearly 6 months and no fix and not a word from Sony. This is really shoddy stuff for a premium product to not reliably work
I'm convinced its dongle related and it's requirement for high USB port bandwidth. In which case Sony need to clarifying what ports to use. The problem they have is that the two rear USB A 10Gbps ports are just that, around the rear, which is always going to cause problems. And the front one is not full bandwidth i.e only 5Gbps. So it forces you to use the USB C, which in turn makes users have to get a high quality 10Gbps converter.

A solution could be including an officially approved 10Gbps USB A to C converter. Either way, Sony need to sort it out. They're going to be getting a lot of returns in the mean time.

King Dazzar

Just a quick update. Since moving to USB-C and the 10Gbps short cable converter. I'm happy to report I have had zero issues. Audio has been flawless. I've tested it every night this week. If that changes I'll update.

Eiknarf

Just a quick update. Since moving to USB-C and the 10Gbps short cable converter. I'm happy to report I have had zero issues. Audio has been flawless. I've tested it every night this week. If that changes I'll update.
Interesting

My Pulse Elite dongle has been in the back since day-one and it’s been perfect. I need the front open to charge my controller. There’s no way I’m pulling the dongle in and out all the time. Fuck that.

I just purchase a new dingle as suggested. If it’s a solution that will be great. Regardsless. There is no excuse for the months of silence, Sony hasn’t even acknowledged the problem. That is deliberate.

King Dazzar

I get terrible crackling noises in media apps like YouTube and Amazon prime, but not in games.

What is causing this? Infuriating
Not sure, I never had disconnections, but I did have audio glitches until I tried my new connection and USB port change. The surround field has improved and my range too. And most importantly all glitches gone. But hey, I'm by no means saying my solution is a fix all, silver bullet.

King Dazzar

Interesting

My Pulse Elite dongle has been in the back since day-one and it’s been perfect. I need the front open to charge my controller. There’s no way I’m pulling the dongle in and out all the time. Fuck that.
The back ports are also 10Gbps, so should be good in theory, depending on how your set up is. In my case anything wireless into the rear ports suffered from interference, including the pulse 3D, simply due to it being around the back and my PS5 being near other electrical equipment. As long as you're good, you're good.👍

Luipadre

Gold Member
So how are these headphones? I wanted to buy the maxwell but i cant buy that shit in my country sigh. How loud it can get? Wonder how these planar drivers sounds

Zathalus

Another recommendation to stay far away from these. I'm getting the random disconnecting thing as well, even using an extender doesn't fix it for me.

Between these and the terrible regular Pulse headset Sony has convinced me to never buy another PlayStation branded headset. It's funny that they own Audeze which are fantastic, guess I'll just buy another Maxwell for my PS5.

Last edited:
Pulse elite is a disaster for me so far. It only works well for games

I can’t even use it wired on Xbox like my old Pulse 3Ds

It doesn’t work for media apps on PlayStation either - constant clicking and chirping when watching YouTube or Netflix

Does anyone recommend a cheap set that works on both ps5 and XSX and doesn’t have these problems?

King Dazzar

So, I'm out too. Managed to keep the audio flawless in terms of quality. But I've had software issues with settings saving, sometimes the headset not being recognised and then last night a full disconnect requiring unplugging and replugging of the dongle. I wont be buying another PlayStation accessory without reading lots of glowing user reviews first. This product has clearly been launched with unacceptable flaws. Which I suspect are related to the dongle. And no comms from Sony is piss poor. Ultimately I just developed trust issues with the headset, which I dont want to live with.

Also. Whilst I liked the audio, I didn't like the cups and all the sounds you'd hear when moving your head around. Another minor niggle, I didnt like the dongle constantly flashing if the headset was turned off.

So, my solution. Back to the Pulse 3D. I've had zero issues with them, the just work with no issues whatsoever. I've also ordered some wicked cushions for them. I'll take a pic once they and my custom skin arrives. I very nearly went this route before buying the Elites. But you don't know till you try I guess....

So, I'm out too. Managed to keep the audio flawless in terms of quality. But I've had software issues with settings saving, sometimes the headset not being recognised and then last night a full disconnect requiring unplugging and replugging of the dongle. I wont be buying another PlayStation accessory without reading lots of glowing user reviews first. This product has clearly been launched with unacceptable flaws. Which I suspect are related to the dongle. And no comms from Sony is piss poor. Ultimately I just developed trust issues with the headset, which I dont want to live with.

Also. Whilst I liked the audio, I didn't like the cups and all the sounds you'd hear when moving your head around. Another minor niggle, I didnt like the dongle constantly flashing if the headset was turned off.

So, my solution. Back to the Pulse 3D. I've had zero issues with them, the just work with no issues whatsoever. I've also ordered some wicked cushions for them. I'll take a pic once they and my custom skin arrives. I very nearly went this route before buying the Elites. But you don't know till you try I guess....

The no comms about the issue is concerning.

At least tell me you are working on a fix.

It seems like they just hope nobody will notice.

I may need to just buy a second pair of Pulse3Ds unless there’s something cheaper/better that works on multiple consoles

Last edited:

Ronin_7

So how are these headphones? I wanted to buy the maxwell but i cant buy that shit in my country sigh. How loud it can get? Wonder how these planar drivers sounds
They're great, but there are problems with them sometimes disconnecting. Sometimes I have to unplug the dongle and reconnect it. If you're talking about sound, they are incredible as long as you set them up well.

Note: All my friends bought the headset, all have the same issues with the dongle so be aware, I'm sure this is a software issue and should be solved.

Pulse elite is a disaster for me so far. It only works well for games

I can’t even use it wired on Xbox like my old Pulse 3Ds

It doesn’t work for media apps on PlayStation either - constant clicking and chirping when watching YouTube or Netflix

Does anyone recommend a cheap set that works on both ps5 and XSX and doesn’t have these problems?
Xbox uses a proprietary encryption that needs some chip.
The Xbox version of the SteelSeries Arctis Nova 7 has the chip and will work on both consoles.
The Playstation version of it doesn't have the chip and only works for playstation.
They have a few other differences too, but it depends on if the headphones have the chip Xbox requires.

I don't have any headset with that chip so I just use a bose headset that I have wired to my Xbox controller.

Last edited:
Xbox uses a proprietary encryption that needs some chip.
The Xbox version of the SteelSeries Arctis Nova 7 has the chip and will work on both consoles.
The Playstation version of it doesn't have the chip and only works for playstation.
They have a few other differences too, but it depends on if the headphones have the chip Xbox requires.

I don't have any headset with that chip so I just use a bose headset that I have wired to my Xbox controller.

Thanks I may try that out

Thing is, wired doesn’t work from my pulse elites to my Xbox controller. The noise is extremely soft and muffled

Meanwhile the pulse 3D sound to Xbox controller wired is just fine

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Again I'm not going to get into great detail as other already have but I gave my regular pulse to a workmate when I got these... honestly I regret doing that, the crackling issue is there since day 1 and I just don't want to use them.

Shame too, their at least conformable to wear for me as they are completely over ear.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

The no comms about the issue is concerning.

At least tell me you are working on a fix.

It seems like they just hope nobody will notice.

I may need to just buy a second pair of Pulse3Ds unless there’s something cheaper/better that works on multiple consoles
Yeah I reckon using some Wicked cushions will add just that extra nicer touch to the 3D's. And you can get some nice textured skins for the 3D where as you cant for the Elite. I also like that the base 3D is available in black too. Shame about the Elites as I liked the audio, but everything else about them was starting to irritate more and more the longer I lived with them.

If I didnt like the 3D's, then I'd likely have tried the much more expensive Steelseries Nova 7P. Though they wont do both Xbox and PS.

Thanks I may try that out

Thing is, wired doesn’t work from my pulse elites to my Xbox controller. The noise is extremely soft and muffled

Meanwhile the pulse 3D sound to Xbox controller wired is just fine
Hmm, I haven't tried the pulse 3d on xbox wired, and I just got the new ear buds. So I use the ear buds on ps5/psvr2/portal and my bose wired to controller for xbox.
Can't be more help. But yea, for wireless. There's some BS Xbox proprietary crap. Needs xbox tramp stamp of approval aka chip to work wirelessly.

King Dazzar

They're great, but there are problems with them sometimes disconnecting. Sometimes I have to unplug the dongle and reconnect it. If you're talking about sound, they are incredible as long as you set them up well.

Note: All my friends bought the headset, all have the same issues with the dongle so be aware, I'm sure this is a software issue and should be solved.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro comes without the need for a dongle i.e it has Link built in and helps resolve the issues. But fuck waiting on if, buts and maybe.

King Dazzar

Talk about timing, the latest OS update includes:
  • We’ve updated the device software for the PULSE Elite wireless headset, PULSE Explore wireless earbuds, and PlayStation Link USB adapter.
    • PlayStation Link connection stability has been improved.
    • We’ve fixed an issue with the PULSE Elite wireless headset that caused the power to turn off when the audio cable is connected to the audio input jack.
    • On the PULSE Elite wireless headset, the status indicator that turns on after establishing PlayStation Link connection is now less bright.
My issues were beyond connection, but hopefully helps others.

• We’ve updated the device software for the PULSE Elite wireless headset, PULSE Explore wireless earbuds, and PlayStation Link USB adapter.
    • We’ve fixed an issue with the PULSE Elite wireless headset that caused the power to turn off when the audio cable is connected to the audio input jack.
    • On the PULSE Elite wireless headset, the status indicator that turns on after establishing PlayStation Link connection is now less bright.
Oh man. I was using headphone jack w/ steam deck and this would happen every 20 to 30 minutes or so. I thought it was something I was doing lol.

skit_data

Yeah, I just noticed. About damn time, my Pulse Explore have been disconnecting out of nowhere since day 1. Let's hope it actually helps.

King Dazzar

Just got my Wicked cushions for the Pulse 3D. And they are superb. Not only are they more comfortable than the originals, but they constantly cool your head too. Highly recommended.

King Dazzar

Which ones did you buy and how much?
£22.95 from Amazon and just the black ones.
I fitted them in less than 2 minutes.
Link and pic:
Amazon UK Wicked cushions

q4chtga.jpeg

Again I'm not going to get into great detail as other already have but I gave my regular pulse to a workmate when I got these... honestly I regret doing that, the crackling issue is there since day 1 and I just don't want to use them.

Shame too, their at least conformable to wear for me as they are completely over ear.

LOL, fucking Sony man, I feel you brother...

I don't get it, how the FUCK do they get away with things like these ? Besides their consoles, every other hardware they produce is.riddled with problems - even the PS Portal, it's been 5 months now since release and they STILL haven't fixed the 59.94Hz stutter, not that I expect them to fix it ...

Fuck this company, truly abhorrent Quality control, it's like they stopped giving a shit

No mention of crackling or popping noises while playing media apps

I just tried this out and it’s not fixed at all

Still get constant random (and not repeatable) crackling noises when using the YouTube or media apps like Amazon

Rewinding the same scene won’t reproduce the same noises

Last edited:

I don’t have the crackling issues in games, only media apps, is that the same for you?

King Dazzar

No mention of crackling or popping noises while playing media apps

I just tried this out and it’s not fixed at all

Still get constant random (and not repeatable) crackling noises when using the YouTube or media apps like Amazon
Well, for me it felt like coming home going back to the 3D's. I love no longer having the enclosed cups of the Elite making noises whenever I move my head.

King Dazzar

I don't get it, how the FUCK do they get away with things like these ? Besides their consoles, every other hardware they produce is.riddled with problems - even the PS Portal, it's been 5 months now since release and they STILL haven't fixed the 59.94Hz stutter, not that I expect them to fix it ...

Fuck this company, truly abhorrent Quality control, it's like they stopped giving a shit
I think they're just pushing some things to market too quickly.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don’t have the crackling issues in games, only media apps, is that the same for you?

must be games for me since thats what I use em for, I heard this can be an issue with these types of Magnetic headphones if they get shook around too much, considering they where delivered its probably the case, iv just written them off tbh,

I only bought them so I dont disturb my neighbours at night with my surround sound at like 2AM in the morning, I just put the volume down and deal with it :D

my daily headset is the sony WH-1000XM4's and they are the best noise cancelling headphones iv ever had, I skipped the XM5's because I have literally no reason to upgrade, Sony can and do make some great audio products, just the Pulse elites aint it. They where my first experience with planar magnetic drivers and I was quite excited, what a bust.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Just updated.
They sound great - but I’ve never had a problem.

Granted I only use em playing games on PlayStation. I use a different pair for mowing the lawn, an even different pair for music and audio mixing, and earbuds for travel.

skit_data

My Pulse Explores disconnected just now so the problem doesn't seem solved completely. I suspect it has more to do with the USB adapter rather than the headphones themselves, because it just turns off (no light indicator) and requires getting reinserted into the USB socket to reset.

I did use the front USB of the PS5 now, which seemed more prone to regular disconnects before the update, so I'm gonna try the back USB ports instead.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

My Pulse Explores disconnected just now so the problem doesn't seem solved completely. I suspect it has more to do with the USB adapter rather than the headphones themselves, because it just turns off (no light indicator) and requires getting reinserted into the USB socket to reset.

I did use the front USB of the PS5 now, which seemed more prone to regular disconnects before the update, so I'm gonna try the back USB ports instead.
Of the few reports I've read. It seems improved for some and not for others.

skit_data

Of the few reports I've read. It seems improved for some and not for others.
I actually played many hours yesterday without any issues, so it might very well be that the issues are reduced which would be an improvement.

It's not bad enough to cause major issues for me personally because 99% of the time I'm playing single player games. I could see people using party chat getting really pissed because the process of having to get up and unplug the adapter can easily be enough to fuck the entire team in situations where communication is key.

It's a shame because the sound quality is nice and I like being able to use bluetooth simultaneously, but I would strongly advice people to not buy them as long as these disconnection issues goes unsolved.

King Dazzar

I actually played many hours yesterday without any issues, so it might very well be that the issues are reduced which would be an improvement.

It's not bad enough to cause major issues for me personally because 99% of the time I'm playing single player games. I could see people using party chat getting really pissed because the process of having to get up and unplug the adapter can easily be enough to fuck the entire team in situations where communication is key.

It's a shame because the sound quality is nice and I like being able to use bluetooth simultaneously, but I would strongly advice people to not buy them as long as these disconnection issues goes unsolved.
Yeah off of the update. I could have returned my Pulse 3D's and gone and got back my Elite set from a shop which I sold them to. But tbh it felt brilliant going back to the 3D's, especially now I've upgraded the ear cups.

It's good to see Sony working to fix the issue, but it also proves these were released too early.

Top Bottom